Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 14:16   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I have the Spartans, doc. While my experience in riding pants is limited, I find them quite comfortable.

Pros: Good padding in the right areas; straps to adjust where the knee guard sits & a leather-like bum-crotch pad decreases possibility of slipping on the seat; fits indian body-types well.

Cons: despite the velcro fasteners, the fly is sealed & hence 'quick access' is difficult; it is rainproof only if the supplied rexine inner pants are worn (in non-rain weather, this might be the answer to India's population problem);

No opinion on the other brands you have mentioned. I got mine at Lets Gear up in Bangalore.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 14:37   #1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No comments, Now that you've ordered, how easy is it to live with it rather than cancelling the order ?
do you mean these gloves aren't good enough?
Well...! I could always cancel it if there is anything better under 2k .
Old 24th February 2014, 14:59   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have the Spartans, doc. While my experience in riding pants is limited, I find them quite comfortable.

Pros: Good padding in the right areas; straps to adjust where the knee guard sits & a leather-like bum-crotch pad decreases possibility of slipping on the seat; fits indian body-types well.

Cons: despite the velcro fasteners, the fly is sealed & hence 'quick access' is difficult; it is rainproof only if the supplied rexine inner pants are worn (in non-rain weather, this might be the answer to India's population problem);

No opinion on the other brands you have mentioned. I got mine at Lets Gear up in Bangalore.
They only come in camo or there's normal black as well?

Also I am assuming the fly has a zip (with velcro outside at the edges to seal out the rain) and the waist a button or hook (not velcro)?

Rexine underpants? EEEEK (something just shrivelled up in horror inside me .....)

Last edited by ebonho : 24th February 2014 at 15:01.
Old 24th February 2014, 17:13   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can you please provide links or photos and/or details (name, price, where to buy from) of your pants. A couple of friends are looking to buy urgently.
Search for my posts on this thread or in my Ninja ownership thread. There are a few pics and a short review too.

Quote:
They only come in camo or there's normal black as well?

Also I am assuming the fly has a zip (with velcro outside at the edges to seal out the rain) and the waist a button or hook (not velcro)?

Rexine underpants? EEEEK (something just shrivelled up in horror inside me .....)
The Spartan pants are available in black and camo print. The fly has a velcro over it. And the liner is just like any other liner in a riding jacket. Not like the duckback rain jackets but more like windcheater material. Haven't used the liner in my pants though.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:11   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Aditya, what is the name (model) of the pants? So I know what to ask for. Pro Biker is just near my house. Walking distance.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:33   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aditya, what is the name (model) of the pants? So I know what to ask for. Pro Biker is just near my house. Walking distance.
It is called the Spartan Odysseus Pants - Black. About 6300

There is a zipper & velcro closing the fly, which also has a permanent flap behind, which cannot be removed.

The hip has a loop & velcro fastening on both sides; fairly functional & comfortable. Also 2 press buttons in the center to ensure that it does not come off. All of this backed by the permanent flap just behind the fly.

The water proof pant is rexine; no point shilly shallying. You will not pro-create if you wear it.

Did I mention that it has a permanent flap behind the fly?
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 18:37   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Procreation is a serious concern Sridhu. Even once you get past the permanent flap behind the fly.

Did I mention the pants were not for me?
Old 25th February 2014, 08:53   #1478
BHPian

Spartan has launched a new pair of riding pants Proteus (hope I got the name right). Looks smart, mix of cordura and mesh at the right places, hip and knee protectors, additional layer for gripping the seat (Dynatec?!). Will probably pick this up in a few days.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 00:08   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
hello guys,

I bought the SS jacket from US and the armour has broken into pieces now on the shoulder and elbow. Is there anyway to replace them here? Can I fit any other armour, if yes where can I get them?

thanks in advance for the help.
Get in touch with Performance Racing Store Mumbai. They are stockists of Joe rocket replacement armor. I picked up a piece for a friend who owns a Harley jacket and it fit him well. It cost 1500 as far as I remember. Call them up and ask if the suggested brand will fit into your jacket and I'm sure they'll help. Alternatively you can also get in touch with Outdoor Travel Gear (mumbai). They are authorised stockists of Knox armor in India. Hope the suggested info helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth957 View Post
Riding brothers,
I am looking for complete riding gear for my 390. Things to consider- Will be riding/touring in hot chennai weather- Protection, ventilation and quality important.
Considering Joe rocket ufo mesh jacket- 180$- http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-...-ufo-20-jacket. or dainese airframe.
Also looking for riding pants, gloves (A* smx2?) and boots (A* smx1,2)? - which is not uncomfortable for walking and can be worn with jeans to work.
Budget for jacket-10 to 15k, gloves- 4k, boots- 8-10k. pants- 5-7k. These are expensive for me, but hoping that these will protect and last long.
please suggest places where i can try this (chennai/bangalore) or buy online. i have overseas friends who can send/bring gearpa npants to india.
Since you have friends who can send the gear to India, please use this option to the fullest. Visit MotorcycleGear.com. A mesh jacket for hot weather riding is advisable. The best pick of the lot is Scorpion Ventech Jacket. Currently retailing online for $109 (free shipping within US). Its on a closeout right now and the quality is simply unmatched to its counterparts. Gloves - decide whether you need a short cuff riding glove or a full gauntlet glove. Typically for street riding purposes a short cuff riding glove does a good job. In case its a touring application then you'll have to stretch your budget to arrive at a suitable choice. Best option for short cuff riding glove is the Knox Orsa Armor. Its on a closeout and retailing on Sportbiketrackgear.com for a price of $83.60 ( free shipping within US). Riding pants - consider the joe rocket phoenix 3.0 pants which serve a dual purpose of being waterproof and also usable for hot weather riding. This pant is a typical American fit. Hence suitable to Indian body type. Available at Performance Racing Store in Mumbai. If you can stretch your budget a little bit go for the Rev it airwave riding pants. Fit is European hence on the snug side. In case you are in between sizes, opt for the higher size. Quality is top notch and it comes fitted with Knox armor. Its available here in india at High Note Performance in Delhi. They are also stockists of TCX boots. Depends on your riding style - if a sport ride biker or cruiser style. They have both options. Outdoortravelgear in mumbai have become stockists for Puma riding boots. Sorry to say but the quality was really depressing for the price they charge. They are sturdy for sure. But are light years away compared to TCX, Sidi, Spidi or Alpinestars in terms of finishing and quality. Also remember Spidi, Sidi and Alpinestars tend to fit towards the snug side. So if you are a person with a wider foot and higher arch, TCX will fit your bill for sure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th March 2014 at 08:37. Reason: Merged posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
REManiac78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 06:07   #1480
BHPian

Folks please suggest a good riding jacket for Indian Conditions

my thoughts are :
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ctional-jacket
or
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...tchback-jacket
Old 6th March 2014, 08:46   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Folks please suggest a good riding jacket for Indian Conditions
Well it depends on 2 things...
1. Which part of the country?
2. Which season?

If you're in a place where heat/Summer is predominant than cold/Winter, then I would stay off from these jackets or use them only during Winter or rains. I use a mesh jacket, but used the standard rain liner during my GJ trip in Dec & it did a fabulous job against the cold weather. And excluded the rain liner last month when I was in Bangalore to be comfortable. But that's my experience.

Point is, avoid textile based jacket in S.Indian weather & opt for mesh (that comes with rain liner) jackets. Ofcourse there're people who use textile over mesh and it's not that textile is uncomfortable, but mesh is anyway more breathable than textile.

Question back to you - Are you hell bent on choosing a branded HD jacket only or would you like to buy a leading manufacturer's jacket?

Last edited by aargee : 6th March 2014 at 08:49.
Old 6th March 2014, 12:07   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by REManiac78 View Post
Get in touch with Performance Racing Store Mumbai. They are stockists of Joe rocket replacement armor. I picked up a piece for a friend who owns a Harley jacket and it fit him well. It cost 1500 as far as I remember. Call them up and ask if the suggested brand will fit into your jacket and I'm sure they'll help. Alternatively you can also get in touch with Outdoor Travel Gear (mumbai). They are authorised stockists of Knox armor in India. Hope the suggested info helps.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it

I have ordered this (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...009721066.html) which looked very similar to what I had before. Will share the review once I get it.
Old 6th March 2014, 12:26   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Got this great link from a friend. They give all prices in Indian rupees and ship to India!

http://www.motosport.com/
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 16:30   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NOt too into brands though but looking for something made of good quality and reliabile
Then there're plenty to choose from RJays, Spartan Pro Gear, Rynox, Planet DSG is all that comes to my mind right now.

If you can extend a little more budget - please pick one from www.performanceracing.in

Quote:
BUt this year planning a road trip to Gujarat to visit my friends.
I did GJ solo last Dec with almost all Spartan Pro Gear products; the riding pants were from Joerocket though. Helios with rain liner was super more than sufficient to keep the body warm. Where I made mistake was, underestimate the chillness & wore perforated gloves, like here in Chennai & I had numbness in 3 of my fingers on both hands.

Had experienced one crash wearing SPG, gears were safe, SOL took the brunt, rode back home from Vaniyambadi to Chennai with broken wrist though, other than that, no damages due to gears.

Like I said, if you're going to ride mostly in & around Bangalore, Mesh + liner is sufficient which you can use comfortably for next 500 square km. Textile is also fine, but, they make your body cry when you visit places such as Vellore oven or Chennai stove.

For helmets, SOL does a good job, RJays are even better & if you want even better, please visit Dainese store in Orion mall Bangalore for AGV. You may even land up picking few gears too.

Last edited by aargee : 8th March 2014 at 16:32.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 16:48   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

aargee, Do you feel the Rain liner in Helios is sufficient to keep the cold away? How cold are you talking about here?

How the the coldness felt at shoulder since there is no liner over there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks