Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 22:38   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
My favourite combination would be riding pants and jacket both from AGV sport solare series.

And for boots :http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...o-air-rr-boots friend of mine have these and is totally satisfied with them!
No personal experience here but have read multiple reviews of the AGV solare pants fraying at the seams; especially around the crotch.

Alternate - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...ave-pants-2010

This is what I use (along with Klim CE rated hip armour). I wear knee guards underneath (knee guards available separately). Excellent finish; althought fit is a little baggy (think cargo pants). The air flow would have you believe you are riding commando .

Plus the leather on the insides help you grip the tank so much better as opposed to textile which will make you slide a bit; especially whilst cornering hard. Gripes - No liners whatsoever. Plus the (huge) mesh panels could be more tightly woven

@ Mobike - I still maintain this; check out the Spartan pants. They may not be "Klim quality" but they are not too far off the mark either. Most of these firang pants have a very baggy (American) fit; I would personally prefer something more fitted. I found the spartan's fit to be spot on.
Old 20th May 2014, 11:27   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Again Thanks. By the time I am done with my gear I think I will have said thanks another couple of dozen times

And apologies I was misinformed about the Studds helmet after reading this on Snapdeal. All STUDDS Models come in one standard size (58-60cms) which generally fits all
Try out the Orazo riding boots available on http://www.orazosafety.com These boots are made keeping riders in mind. Ideally go for the Picus model (http://www.orazosafety.com/product_d...hp?pname=Picus). It has a 8 inch height and is a waterproof boot with protection at the right places. My favorite color is the black / orange. Ordering can be done online and the same retails at a price of Rs. 3800.

Note from Mod : Please dont quote entire long post for a short reply. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th May 2014 at 13:24.
Old 24th May 2014, 14:16   #1593
BHPian

Hi experts, just bought a DSG Nero riding jacket from Auto Queen, Cochin for Rs.6500/-. Had to go for the large size as medium was unavailable. The shoulder portion is a perfect fit and the armours are where it should be. The problem area is at the neck and waist where the jacket is not a perfect fit even with the Velcros adjusted to the maximum.
The Planet DSG website says removable thermal and waterproof lining but I can only find the removable thermal lining only. Can some one post pictures of the removable waterproof lining so that I can check if they are missing in my jacket. Also the tags attached to the jacket have instructions in what appears to be Chinese English. So how to check originality of the jacket ?

Also could anyone comment on the waterproof boots as in the following link ?

http://www.decathlon.in/hiking/footw...n/p-246272.htm
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 24th May 2014 at 14:24.
Old 26th May 2014, 12:06   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Another addition to my gear

Nathan's Hi-viz Photon L.E.D vest! Useful when Leading or sweeping a pack of riders.

The Riding Gear thread-vest-packing.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-vest-front.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-vest-back.jpg
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 15:06   #1595
BHPian

My XPD boots are old and abused but continue to serve me well. Have worn them while touring, track use, city rides everything and they have held well through the years. Recently noticed that the heel protector of the boot was cracking in places and the sole was showing signs of aging. Decided that these will now be delegated to city use and new boots are needed for track riding.

Went researching online and in my peer circles to figure out which are the track boots that I should buy. A lot of friends wear the Sidi ST Air and they look fantastic hence they were on top of the consideration list. Finally tried my friend's ST Air and wasnt too happy with the fit. It was somehow too narrow for my broad foot. Good build and features but my feet were grumpy.

Alpinestars Supertech-R were also a popular choice and the fact that almost the entire MotoGP grid wears them was proof enough of their pedigree. Turns out the Indian vendor was charging a bomb for them (almost 35k) so ruled them out. Thought about waiting for someone to maybe go to the US and handcarry a set for me.

In the meanwhile, saw a friend wearing the TCX RS2 boots. Looked beautiful and I had heard about and witnessed the bulletproof build of the erstwhile Oxtar (now called TCX). Researched a bit more and turns out that the latest iteration called the TCX RS2 EVO are also MotoGP used boots with a reputation for quality. Infact revzilla rated them quite brilliant along with the Sidi Mag1 and the A-Star Supertech. Even a review by Overdrive was quite appreciative of the boots.

The RS2 EVO come with a unique air-pump system which basically inflates an inbuilt bladder system in the boot (through a button on the side of the boot) to ensure a perfect snug fit of the boot on your foot and leg. The EVO also came with a quick-lace inner booty for a further perfect fit. Magnesium toe sliders and a full skeleton system to control ankle flex and movement were other top-spec features. The boots were also advocated strongly for people with broader feet (mine are) and have a bigger toe box than their competitors.

Icing on the cake was that these were available at a very competitive price of Rs 26,500 at High Note Performance in Delhi (Revzilla was about $430).
Spoke to the good guys at HNP and ordered a set in size 46 online. They assured me of a prompt exchange incase of size issues.

The boots arrived bang within the time committed and the fit was WOW. My old XPD feel like bathroom slippers in front of these. These are proper race-spec boots and feel generations ahead of anything I had tried on till now. This was proper big-league stuff. The fit is precise, the leather is immaculate and the build seems very strong like a typical Oxtar. The air pump system actually works and just makes the boot fit like a glove around your foot. These actually feel like an extension of your body when on the bike. You will not even realize that you are wearing something as rigid and sturdy as these feel. And believe me a pair of comfortable boots can do wonders to your riding be it on the track or touring.

The only downsides are:
1. The inner booty and quick lace system needs some time and effort to get the foot in and close. My XPD are simple - put foot in and zip up. But then this inner booty system makes the fit so much nicer. Time and effort consuming but not without results.
2. The toe-box is actually bigger than normal. I had to adjust the gear lever of the bike slightly higher to ensure the toe of my boot slides under it for a shift. Otherwise it was just colliding with the lever at the stock position. The toe box is quite roomy and this makes my broad feet very happy.

Honestly, these boots are worth every penny spent. From a safety, build and comfort angle they are right up there on top of the food chain with some $500 competition. Infact my friend uses these as his staple weekend ride/ touring boots without any issue.

A thank you to the good chaps at High Note Performance who handled all my queries and requests very patiently and ensured my boots reached me well before my trackday as promised.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-988467_10152372132604933_6822638876258057934_n.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-10275922_10152372132749933_7064935116506251030_n.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-tcxrs2evoblack.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-10809tcxrs2evoracingmotorcyclebootsmaster0.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-0002291_botastcxrs2evonegro.jpeg  

narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 19:44   #1596
Senior - BHPian

In the meanwhile I had ordered Safety Riding Boots from Armstrong Products, Mumbai after seeing them on Facebook. Came to know on interacting that their owner Varun Vijay Bakshi is also a Bhpian (VVB8530) and my interaction with him was very cordial. He shipped me this just launched Boots @3K net including shipping by Bluedart to Meerut. These shoes are not to be confused with normal Industrial Safety Shoes as these are specifically designed for Riding especially Cruising long distances. So I received them today. This short review is not meant as an advertisement for any product, just my personal views on this product -

Pure leather used with mesh in parts for breathability. Proper STEEL TOED protection.

The Riding Gear thread-armstrong-safety-riding-shoes_1.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-armstrong-safety-riding-shoes_2.jpg

Acid, alkali and oil resistant sole
. According to the owner - these soles are TPU soles, that too double density which are puncture proof. They can go through any kind of rugged use. Also these are injection molded to the leather and NOT stitched or stuck. So they should not split apart.

The Riding Gear thread-armstrong-safety-riding-shoes_3.jpg

Solid leather at most places which is water resistant. Also the design ensures water does not seep in. But pure leather can never be waterproof. They supposedly treat it with a chemical coating to make it water resistant. If they get wet, they just need to wiped dry with a cloth after a whole days riding and according to the owner there is no need to polish either due to the chemical treatment. Just needs to be cleaned with a cloth even after using whole day in water.

The Riding Gear thread-armstrong-safety-riding-shoes_5.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-armstrong-safety-riding-shoes_6.jpg

Pretty solid built and very nicely padded, hence very comfortable to wear. Rest proper feedback after using them for riding for a while.

The Riding Gear thread-armstrong-safety-riding-shoes_7.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 23:48   #1597
BHPian

These look much better than the orazo boots and that too for a better price. Look forward to your comments post riding experience.
Old 28th May 2014, 00:48   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Just got back after an 800km round trip on my enfield. All my gear was very comfortable even in the 40+ degree heat barring these 2:

- Gmax GM 68S helmet : this is being rectified. Ordered a Bell RS 1
- DSG Primal gloves : The glove is fine for city rides; but on longer rides it gets uncomfortable & actually a bit painful. The problem is the seams are on the inside. They dig into your flesh and induce pain if you wear them over prolonged periods of time. My other very minor gripe though is that it leaves some sort of black soot after you have work them for a while. But the latter is not an issue. I would not even mention it if the issue of inside seams was not there.

Can anyone suggest a good pair of gloves I can buy specifically for touring? Needs:

- Should flow some air if not a great amount. For use in warmer times of the year
- Should NOT be waterproof. Would not suit the warm climate. Have another pair with me in case it does rain
- MUST have its seams on the outside
- Gauntlet preferred. Will happily sacrifice some breathability for the added protection
- Do not want to spend more than $50; willing to up the budget to 60 - 65 maybe

I will be in the states for a few weeks starting next Monday. Any good closeouts worth looking at?

Please advise. Thanks!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 28th May 2014 at 00:49.
Old 28th May 2014, 03:02   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Just got back after an 800km round trip on my enfield. All my gear was very comfortable even in the 40+ degree heat barring these 2:

- Should flow some air if not a great amount. For use in warmer times of the year
- Should NOT be waterproof. Would not suit the warm climate. Have another pair with me in case it does rain
- Gauntlet preferred. Will happily sacrifice some breathability for the added protection
- Do not want to spend more than $50; willing to up the budget to 60 - 65 maybe

I will be in the states for a few weeks starting next Monday. Any good closeouts worth looking at?

Please advise. Thanks!
I would suggest cramster trg-2. Full leather gauntlet gloves. I've used them for touring, in rains, in snow, in mud and every possible condition. 4 years down the line and they still hold up good. Not a stitch has failed. Totally worth the price I must say.

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 28th May 2014 at 03:07.
Old 28th May 2014, 18:31   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a good pair of gloves I can buy specifically for touring? Needs:

Non-gauntlet type gloves that checks all the above choices would be the DSG Revive.

I used them for close to 2 years. They are perforated and have air vents on the fingers which actually work. The stitch seams are on the inside though but I found them very comfy and they did not hurt my fingers.

You can also look at the DSG Primal gloves which are full gauntlet. These have air vents too.
Old 28th May 2014, 22:47   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
I would suggest cramster trg-2
Thanks! Could you tell me what is the longest you have ridden with these on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Non-gauntlet type gloves that checks all the above choices would be the DSG Revive.

You can also look at the DSG Primal gloves which are full gauntlet. These have air vents too.
Dont like the Revive & I am already using the Primal. In fact my issue is that the Primal was not the most comfortable for a 400 km journey and I did experience some pain on account of the seams.

Guys - No news on good closeout options on the firang maal? Request an urgent reply as I travel to states this weekend. Thanks again!

Edit - Any reviews / user experience on Spartan Ares?
Old 29th May 2014, 00:15   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Could you tell me what is the longest you have ridden with these on?

Edit - Any reviews / user experience on Spartan Ares?
The longest I've ridden wearing these gloves was 30-32 hours (saddle sore, bun burner ride )

Apart from that, I've ridden for 8-10 hours straight multiple (15+) times.
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 11:39   #1603
Mik
BHPian

+1 on Cramster TRG-2. Mine went through 3 years of extremely rough usage which included 2 ladakh rides and a host of other rainy/slushy rides. This time I have gone for a DSG Carbon as I got bored with the design. Even they are holding up well. Though the verdict will be out in the next 20 days though after another pilgrimmage to Ladakh.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 22:36   #1604
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to buy Alpinestars riding boots from planetDSG.com.
Has anyone here purchased anything from their online store? How was the buying experience?
Old 30th May 2014, 00:07   #1605
BHPian

I've personally visited their store on one of my trips to Pune and found them to be very warm, welcoming and more than willing to explain features, benefits of their products on offer. So I don't think your online purchase would be anything to be worries about. Be sure to speak to them over the phone before finalizing your order. Coming to alpinestars fit, they do run a little bit on the snug side. I say so because I have a wide foot and a high arch. I typically fit into a euro size 44. However to my surprise when I tried the SMX-1 short riding boot, even a size 46 was a struggle to get in, forget walking or riding. I finally settled for TCX boots which are perfect for my feet. So be sure of the sizing before you order and ensure that they exchange for free without any restocking fee.

Most Viewed