Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 11:03   #1636
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Used one for 3 years. Not a stitch failed. During summers it works wonders! but I had issues with it during winter. It doesnt really keep you warm even with the liner zipped in. The mesh on this jacket also has bigger holes.
Thanks. Winter protection is really not a concern for any all season jacket that I may end up buying untlimately. It should work well in Summer and Rainy season. During winter one can wear a thermal or a sweater for added protection.
I have further researched and found A Star Jaws WP jacket as another good 3 season option. This is not available with Planet DSG as they mostly stock mesh jackets. Will mostly ask a friend to pick it up from US.

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 17th June 2014 at 11:29.
Old 17th June 2014, 11:35   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Oh I am with you on the newer products piece but the caveat is competitive prices. And this immediately translates for me as significantly lower than the established brands.

They can and probably will charge more once they have people's confidence but that carrot is definitely needed for me to even consider them. Going back to the Bilt example - if they turned out to be crap; I would at worst lose Rs 3000. Less actually coz I could post it on Ebay or something and get most of my money back. Heck; I might have even made a profit

Simple question - What would you buy? The short boot from Turkey which is around 12k INR I think (how do they even reach you? You actually know someone in Turkey? ) or an Alpinestars SMX 1 for 11k (planet DSG. Check it out)

Most of this stuff looks good on websites or brochures. It does not automatically get entitled to adjectives like "Solid" or "High quality". As you of course know riding gear is much much beyond "the look" alone. Short of using it yourself, you would never know the functionality unless you at least read a dozen + user reviews (not magazines. Who knows what their agenda is)

In the absence of user reviews; I would not want to be the guniea pig for sure. Also agree on the many fakes in the market. But I think if you buy from a reputable reseller (like DSG) you should have the authenticity factor well covered.
Haha! Spot on bro! Exactly what I was asking - If anyone heard/used them, to get a review.

As you rightly put, it looks good on picture. and yes, I do have friends who visit Turkey often. But I wouldn't plonk 12k based on some good looking pictures on the net.

I'd always prefer to wear them, feel them, see if I would be able to be comfortable with them, comfortable using the levers etc without foot being stuck etc.

On the contrary, I got my Puma Testastratta II's online - for I use a Puma sneaker, so size wasn't an issue. would I try that (online buy) again - NO!
Old 18th June 2014, 17:13   #1638
BHPian

guys -need some help here. am in need of a jacket and have narrowed down to the following 3. I know these are in different leagues.

If i am picking it up in bangalore this week, i am keen on the cramster breezer 4s.
I see a lot of folks preferring DSG over Cramster due to the quality. Is it still the case ? I am yet to try the DSG ones.

If i dont pick it up this week i plan to source the AGV Sport Blast or the Joe Rocket Velocity from the US.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 18th June 2014, 17:47   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arepalli99 View Post
I see a lot of folks preferring DSG over Cramster due to the quality. Is it still the case ?
Recently picked up Cramster Eclipse Hybrid Jacket. Short review with pictures have been posted by me on preceding pages. Fantastic build quality for the price. Not a stitch out of place.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 20:57   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me know your thoughts.
If you're struck between Crapster & to import from US, then, you'll find Spartan Progear a better VFM product for sure. This comes out of 35000 Km experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Not a stitch out of place.
No? Wait a while pls

Last edited by aargee : 18th June 2014 at 20:59.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 21:42   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If i am picking it up in bangalore this week, i am keen on the cramster breezer 4s.
Going by some of the reviews I have read; Cramster gear is like a box of chocolates ..... you never know what you're gonna get - Forrest's mom

I agree with what Argee says. Why not Spartan? I have seen their gear first hand and if you were to keep all 3 side by side (DSG, Cramster & Spartan); you would pick Spartan each time
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 22:08   #1642
BHPian

This is what i call telepathy of sorts

Checked out Cramster 4s, the fit was super...but all the 3 pieces in my size had the stitches coming out already. That was it. Decided to ditch Cramster.

Headed out to RidingDNA tried and picked up (as if all of you were telling me in my head) a Spartan Helios !

I come home and i see your messages and pat myself for making a right choice.
arepalli99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 13:51   #1643
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, my search for that elusive riding jacket ended with an "AGV Sport Laguna Textile Jacket" when I stumbled upon an irresistible deal online

This jacket normally sells for $224 but, was available for a mouth watering price of $106 inclusive of free shipping which translated to INR 6,500

The deal clincher apart from the awesome price was the styling, protection that it came with.

No other jacket in this price range comes with a titanium shouler cap and this kind of cinched the deal

The Riding Gear thread-38381_5.jpg

The AGVsport Laguna textile jacket has all of the styling of its leather big brother, but without the cost, bulk, or weight of a leather jacket. So if textile is all you need, and you like the sport bike roots of the AGV sport brand, then the AGVsport Laguna Jacket may be a great option for you. AGVsport has made the Laguna Jacket with a combination of textile with mesh panels for ventilation. This gives the Laguna Jacket plenty of ventilation for hot weather, while the removable waterproof liner is perfect for cooler or wet weather

A 100% polyester textile and mesh jacket that is highly reinforced with high abrasion resistant ballistic nylon for optimum protection, durability and comfort
Removable waterproof and breathable Reissa liner zips in over a permanent mesh lining. Liner features one pocket and may be worn separately as a windbreaker
CE approved dual-density shoulder and elbow protectors
8mm thick memory foam upper chest and upper and lower back padding
Molded plastic air vents are positioned on the shoulders
External Titanium shoulder caps
Perforated chest, belly, and front of upper arms and back for maximum cooling on hot days
Moisture wicking material is used in the collar for maximum rider comfort
Pre curved arms for a perfect look, fit and for maximum riding comfort
Reflective piping is used on the front and rear of the jacket for safety
Multiple stitched main seam construction for maximum tear resistance
World famous YKK zippers
Extra long zipper pulls are used on all zippers
Dual sleeve gather snaps are used on each arm for maximum comfort
Pleated textile panels are used in multiple locations for the finest non-binding fit possible
Waist connection zipper for pant attachment
Two front hand warmer pockets
Inside horizontal and vertical pockets one of which is designed to be a media pocket
Adjustable Velcro waist tabs
Old 19th June 2014, 14:26   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Well, my search for that elusive riding jacket ended with an "AGV Sport Laguna Textile Jacket" when I stumbled upon an irresistible deal online
Excellent jacket! Now throw that foam back pad in the bin and get yourself some ce rated armour in there

PS - where did u order it from?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th June 2014 at 14:27.
Old 19th June 2014, 14:36   #1645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent jacket! Now throw that foam back pad in the bin and get yourself some ce rated armour in there
Thanks, that's the plan. It's got 4.8 stars review on Revzilla and there is a video review of it there too.

Linky :-

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...textile-jacket

Quote:
PS - where did u order it from?
Psssst. Secret. PM coming up
Old 19th June 2014, 14:40   #1646
BHPian

Hey mobike008,

Do PM ME the secret too!!! Am on the lookout for a mesh jacket and this is an awesome deal which ought not to be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 20th June 2014, 22:36   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Awesome buy Avi. Do they charge anything extra for customs to deliver to India?
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 13:47   #1648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Awesome buy Avi. Do they charge anything extra for customs to deliver to India?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Alright, it's raining jackets in my part of the world

Picked up another jacket from X-Element (actually its a gift).

I currently use an X-Element jacket which is very old one (people say i look like Shaktimaan in it) which comes with really awesome body armour all through including the back. Great airflow combined with super protection, this jacket just cannot go wrong

Wanted a high viz jacket so that people know a yellow blur is approaching fast..LOL!

Now please dont ask me the price...It's bound to shock a lot of people
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-51yubix7pl.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-51bprayrdbl.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-519sdbsickl.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-51jc97fjbyl.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-61mtlcztmcl.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 15:20   #1649
Senior - BHPian

How much did yellow Shaktiman cost Avi?