Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 23:03   #1696
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

How good are the KYT helmets? Have being seeing quite a few of them now a days. In fact Planet DSG has a separate show case for them at their store.
Old 9th July 2014, 23:45   #1697
BHPian

Guys need your expert advise,
My brother is returning from Switzerland and I have asked him to carry a pair of riding boots and gloves for me. ( As of now I ride with DSG Triton Jacket-Red and DSG Nero water proof Pants.) My dear friend Doc (ebonho) recommended alpinestars boots and Dainese gloves and a back protector cum kidney compression belt.
I am looking at a waterproof and breathable boots/gloves as I could enjoy my ride in rains.
some of the boots that I could check out were -
1. Alpinestars Toucan Gore-tex® Boots
2. Alpinestars Tech Touring Goretex®
3. Alpinestars Air Plus Gore-tex Xcr Boot
4. Alpinestars Roam 2 Waterproof Boot

In gloves I have Dainese Druids St. Gloves and Dainese carbon cover st. gloves and in Alpinestars there are quite a few.

Other than these two brands should I be looking at any other brand like IXON, scott, revit or Spidi??

I am not looking at leather as I am a bit careless guy with regard to maintenance and upkeep of gears. Any specific model of boots and gloves that you guys can advise me based on your personal experience /knowledge please?

Further as you all know very well, my Trition Jacket comes with CE approved impact protectors for back, elbow and shoulder and the pants comes with CE approved knee armor as well as foam hip armor. So do I need to go for separate knee and elbow protector.

Is there any other additional riding gear that you guys recommend me (to get from Europe) which adds to safety during my rides? Thanks, Ashok

Last edited by ashkamath : 10th July 2014 at 00:03.
Old 9th July 2014, 23:55   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
I am looking at a waterproof and breathable boots/gloves as I could enjoy my ride in rains. Any specific model that you guys can advise me based on your personal experience /knowledge please?

Pants come with CE approved knee armor as well as foam hip armor. So do I need to go for separate knee and elbow protector.
Boots - I wear the A-stars Ridge boots and can vouch for their protection (crash tested) & comfort on and off the bike. Will get sweaty in peak summers but have managed 10 hour days on the bike in May without any trouble. Real waterproofing + breathability comes from Gore tex though. One of my friends has the Web Gore Tex boots from A-stars and he swears by them. Pricey though. And do look around; I got my A-stars for $80 on closeout. Do keep in mind though that when you order, go by the european size and not the US size. Example - US size 9 is an EU size 42. My boot fits very snug and wearing these with a thick pair of socks was painful for a long long time

Additional armour - I would recommend replacing the foam hip armour with CE rated armour. Its cheap and you will save yourself a lot of pain (trust me!)
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 00:16   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Boots - I wear the A-stars Ridge boots and can vouch for their protection (crash tested) & comfort on and off the bike. Do keep in mind though that when you order, go by the european size and not the US size. Example - US size 9 is an EU size 42.
Hey Man, thanks for the early reply. Will check out the AS ridge boots. and my feet size is real small. US-7. I need to find the EU size. anyways I intend to cut a template of my feet on a cardboard and send it over for clarity

Quote:
Additional armour - I would recommend replacing the foam hip armour with CE rated armour. Its cheap and you will save yourself a lot of pain (trust me!)
Yes. the foam hip armor comes as a package with the Nero Pants so I guess need to replace it with CE rated armor.Thanks for the recommendation

Last edited by ashkamath : 10th July 2014 at 00:20.
Old 10th July 2014, 00:54   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Why leather for Mumbai, or do you already have another mesh jacket of something?
Old 11th July 2014, 08:04   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Why leather for Mumbai, or do you already have another mesh jacket of something?
I messed up on the mesh jacket size so no, it's my only riding jacket for the moment. The leather is perforated but that's about it. And in the pre-monsoon ride, it was impossible to wear for longer than an hour with wetting the t-shirt underneath.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:54   #1702
BHPian

Leather jackets are a just not suited for Mumbai conditions - irrespective of perforated or non-perforated. What works ideally is a mesh jacket (with an integrated removable liner if driven in chill conditions). For monsoons it would be best to top it up with a good rain jacket to serve the purpose.
Old 14th July 2014, 17:36   #1703
BHPian

Bought a safetix industrial boots for my riding needs
Likes -

Comfort lining
Fit
Safety - made of buffalo leather
Steel toe
Provides decent ankle protection
Dual density sole
Antistatic
Waterproof
Light weight
I look taller
Cheap\VFM- Rs 1150

Dislikes-

Gear changes takes some time to get used because of thick sole.
No reflective lining.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0076.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0077.jpg  

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 14th July 2014 at 17:38.
Old 14th July 2014, 17:49   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Bought a safetix industrial boots for my riding needs
Likes -

Steel toe
There's a reason why none of the motorcycle gear manufacturers have a Steel Toe in any of their boot offerings. Reason - In a scenario where you crash your bike, the steel toe might actually work like a guillotine for your toes. It will do more harm than good.

A cheaper, more effective and protective option are the Army DMS boots. Dare I say, the heel counter in my DMS feels sturdier / more rigid than my Alpinestars touring boots. Looks great and is virtaully indestructable.

Look for posts on the DMS boots from Ebonho on this very thread.
Old 14th July 2014, 18:39   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
A cheaper, more effective and protective option are the Army DMS boots. Dare I say, the heel counter in my DMS feels sturdier / more rigid than my Alpinestars touring boots. Looks great and is virtaully indestructable.

Look for posts on the DMS boots from Ebonho on this very thread.
+1 on that. I have a pair of Army DMS boots (Courtesy Ebonho). paid 600 bucks for the pair at Makatee Army Surplus store, off MG road, Pune. Value for money.
Old 15th July 2014, 08:39   #1706
Senior - BHPian

Requesting for a solution...

Got A* Apex Drystar Gloves (and Cortex Hydro GT for a friend who also experienced the same), hoping it would provide an excellent protection as protective riding gear & in wet/cold weather. Got a chance to test in pouring rains & to our dismay, both the gloves got wet & was nothing better than SPG Ares, but for two things...
1. A* remained water resistant for quite sometime
2. Protected against the Wind thus making the hand considerably warmer

Now one way I can think as how the water could have swept in is through the jacket via gauntlet & seeped into the gloves. However, the gloves got more & more wet even on milder rains & what shocked me was even on milder drizzle the gloves now started absorbing more water.

Anyone has a solution as...
1. How to avoid water seeping into A* Drystar gloves?
2. How or what could've caused water seep further into the gloves even on drizzle?

Please share your experience & possible solution. Thanks.

Last edited by aargee : 15th July 2014 at 08:42.
Old 16th July 2014, 09:31   #1707
BHPian

Guyes

I am looking to buy the attached DSG riding trousers for my Ladakh bike ride. However it does not seem to be available with any of the popular Riding Gear shops in Mumbai. If anyone is aware of its availability within Mumbai, please let me know. My ride will begin on this Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-dsg20nero20pants20front.jpg  

Old 16th July 2014, 10:57   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
Guyes

I am looking to buy the attached DSG riding trousers for my Ladakh bike ride. However it does not seem to be available with any of the popular Riding Gear shops in Mumbai. If anyone is aware of its availability within Mumbai, please let me know. My ride will begin on this Saturday.
Can see it in stock on these 2 sites;

http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...ing-pant/black

http://a2z-motorcycle-superstore.com...x#.U8YMIvmSy-g

If it isn't, you could take a look at RJays riding pants. I'm using them and they're pretty good.

http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.ph...duct&id_lang=1
Old 16th July 2014, 19:38   #1709
BHPian

Team - have you heard of the AGV Sport Demon gloves (Leather) ?
I happened to like them and picked them up @ Orion Motors in Bangalore.
I had never heard about them but was convinced by the sales guy that this is from a new stock.
I picked them up and now on checking realised that this is a 2003/04 model.
Am not sure if these folks have had it since then.

Should i be worried ?

http://www.agvsport.com/2004/2004/gloves/demon/
Old 17th July 2014, 07:56   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arepalli99 View Post
... I picked them up and now on checking realised that this is a 2003/04 model. Am not sure if these folks have had it since then.Should i be worried ?
http://www.agvsport.com/2004/2004/gloves/demon/
Looking at the URL, the gloves seem to be decent in terms of the materials used and the protection on offer. Even though the gloves might be a model released in 2004, I doubt if the shopkeeper can stock it for 10 years without any damage (fungus due to damp weather, small tears due to stocking in the box/bag, chafing of the finger tips etc). So even though you might have got an old model, it would probably be from recent stock. If the gloves fit you well and you feel well protected, then dont worry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks