Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 19:16   #1756
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
has anybody looked at this Jacket...shipping charges flat rate 50$ via US Postal Service
From my little experience...AVOID!!

And please don't forget the customs tax over $50 & keep aside about 30% of the declared value of goods for it.

There're so many reputed guys like Motorcyclegear, Revzilla, MotoSport who does international shipping & offer genuine products, after all trust & peace of mind are more important than $$
Old 29th July 2014, 19:58   #1757
BHPian

thanks guys for you comment and suggestion, will look at the other sites mentioned here for branded and better product. Have looked at https://www.denniskirk.com/ for helmets ( AGV/Shoei/Arai) they ship via FedEx or UPS and the cost of shipping is quite high, may be same for other make sense only if you are in US or somebody can bring these for you.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 29th July 2014 at 20:03.
Old 29th July 2014, 20:01   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone seen the SPG Achilles in person? I'm in the market looking for a decent textile jacket and this seems like a good one:

http://spartanprogear.com/Details.as...=0&cat=0&typ=4

Needed first hand opinions about the quality and armour.
Old 29th July 2014, 20:03   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
if anyone has any experience with these product let me know, I am interested in getting these 2 thing online, shipping charges flat rate 50$ via US Postal Service
Hey Pramod. I read some reviews on the CBR 600 RR forum on their leather jackets as well as race suits. Here's what I could deduce:

- Overall quality of leather and stitching seems good
- One guy even crash tested it (lowside) and said that the leathers did not even have a scuff on them
- Fitting can be a concern. Non standard sizing I think
- They goof up on orders. Example - someone ordered one size up, they delivered one size small

If you can get it shipped to someone in the US who can take care of any issues vis a vis sizing etc., go for it. I would not advise ordering straight to India given the sizing issues.

You can however look at some other options on motorcycle closeouts. Pretty good deals IMO. I definitely would have picked something if I were shopping for leathers.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s.../sort-featured

Hope this helps. Take care

Hope this helps.
Old 29th July 2014, 22:03   #1760
BHPian

How good/bad is the Triumph gear that you find in their showrooms? I see leather jackets and leather pants, as well as mesh and cordura jackets for 9-12k or so.

Most interesting was a pair of denims with knee protector. Price ? A cool 11k. I wonder, wouldn't the cordura pants which are also 11k be better protection?
Old 30th July 2014, 05:43   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Has anyone seen the SPG Achilles in person? I'm in the market looking for a decent textile jacket and this seems like a good one:

Needed first hand opinions about the quality and armour.
Yes Sunny, have seen it in person & also had a chance for look & feel; all I would say is, it's a good VFM product & not just that one, but any SPG product offers good value for money.

If SPG is able to upgrade Knox armor (like they offer for Helios) for Achilles, then blindly opt for it as the upgrade costs only peanuts & you can be assured you've THE BEST protection.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:21   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
How good is the cramster bionic knee guard ? I am planning to buy one shortly, unfortunately I am on a tight budget. Off late I have heard / read horrible stories about cramster . If not cramster which one to buy ? It would really help if someone can suggest a decent brand with affordable prices (read sub 2.5K)
Avoid the cramster knee guards. I bought a pair and the rivets popped out on the first ride itself. Promptly went back and demanded a refund and replaced them with Alpinestars bionic knee guards.

However I dont use knee guards anymore and prefer to wear armored riding pants since they offer more protection. For city rides though, this option can be cumbersome and hence the need for knee guards.

Go with the options suggested in the above posts.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:31   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
However I dont use knee guards anymore and prefer to wear armored riding pants since they offer more protection
Adi, it's a myth; trust me, after witnessing an accident 3 weekends ago (which I might touchbase in my CBR ownership thread) & I'm still not out of the shock, I'm beginning to believe no amount of riding gears, absolutely nothing, no pants or knee guards can save us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
For city rides though, this option can be cumbersome and hence the need for knee guards

If the knee guards can get displaced during an event, the riding pants offers no adequate protection. May be we bikers should start developing an Iron man suit barring the EMP generator
Old 30th July 2014, 12:00   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Adi, it's a myth; trust me, after witnessing an accident 3 weekends ago (which I might touchbase in my CBR ownership thread) & I'm still not out of the shock, I'm beginning to believe no amount of riding gears, absolutely nothing, no pants or knee guards can save us!!
A little more detail (at least as much as you can reveal) on why the armored pants would not protect will definitely help folks new to riding gear and think that an armored pant should be sufficient protection in case of crashes.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:18   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
A little more detail (at least as much as you can reveal) on why the armored pants would not protect will definitely help folks new to riding gear and think that an armored pant should be sufficient protection in case of crashes.
Just posted in my CBR 250R ownership thread about the incident. The riding pants would only protect the knee cap & offer abrasive resistance below the knees. My friend who was always wearing knee guards wore RJays riding pants for first time when we went to HVK Monsoon Drive, Goa & got his Tibia broken. May be, I'm still assuming, may be if he had worn his regular knee guards he might have been in a better state.

And trust me he was wearing A* riding shoes; so you see the damage happened exactly on the place where it was less protected. I don't know what to call this, fate? Bad time? I'm going cynical with riding gears after this incident

And trust me, he is an excellent rider, has excellent stamina both physically & mentally. Even after 3 weeks I still cannot believe this incident!!
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 13:03   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be, I'm still assuming, may be if he had worn his regular knee guards he might have been in a better state.
Shocking to say the least!! Reading what you have written sends a chill down the spine, so imagining how it would be for you since you witnessed it first hand. Makes me question the purchase of my SPG Odysseus riding pants and the safety they offer. When you say he might have been better with his knee guards (were they bionic ones?), i am assuming that the shin protection of the knee guards are better here compared to the riding pants. Also A* riding boots, the one which cover the shin area or ankle length ones?

Sorry for barraging you with many questions and probably causing you to remember the sad incident once more. But as a guy who loves to go on a long ride on his bike at the first instant an opportunity arises, i am shaken and want to know, among the existing options, which is the safest to prevent broken bones!!
Old 30th July 2014, 13:20   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Makes me question the purchase of my SPG Odysseus riding pants and the safety they offer. When you say he might have been better with his knee guards (were they bionic ones?), i am assuming that the shin protection of the knee guards are better here compared to the riding pants. Also A* riding boots, the one which cover the shin area or ankle length ones?
All riding pants are the same; offers good protection on knees & good abrasive resistance through the legs. And if you notice, just with the knee guards the legs are open causing more vulnerable except the knee & upto the point where riding boots starts. With the riding pants the overall vulnerability is reduced but protects only the knee cap & it looks awkwardly ugly when the knee guards are worn over the riding pants.

Yes bionic knee guards are better that they don't get displaced off easily during an incident & protects the knee & little below; however a motocross knee guards have a little extra in length compared to bionics. But a few have a good length as much as motocross knee guards.

On riding shoes like A* & Sidi, they offer superb protection, trust me, you'll feel your legs are more protected than the head You can opt for...
Excellent waterproof with the drawback of sweating inside the shoes
OR
Excellent regular/air flow riding shows with the drawback of letting in water
OR
Shoes made of Goretex material that allows air but resists water at the drawback of extremely high price

Quote:
Sorry for barraging you with many questions and probably causing you to remember the sad incident which is the safest to prevent broken bones!!
Frankly speaking, there's no one solution, if something is destined to happen, it will not rest in the way!! Like HVK says, "We have no control over our destiny, when you leave the house, leave your ego behind; when you're driving, the only thing in our hands is the steering wheel; everything else is in somebody else's hands"; if I sound cynical

Last edited by aargee : 30th July 2014 at 13:22.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 13:58   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm beginning to believe no amount of riding gears, absolutely nothing, no pants or knee guards can save us!!
Ganesh, I can understand your emotions behind this post. Witnessing an accident first hand is shocking and nerve wracking.

However, please let me clarify that there is no 100% protection whatever riding gear one is wearing ; brand, safety certification, etc.

What really matters is that riding gears do reduce the possibility of injury in case of a crash or fall. Please do not generalize that gears do not save lives based on one such incident.

I myself have witnessed many instances where fellow riders from our group took nasty spills at triple digits and walked away with nothing more than minor bruises. I guess fate is not in our control but the way we ride and the safety we practice is very well within our control.

P.S. I hope I am not coming across as offensive. If so, my apologies
n_aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:32   #1769
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the tibia is an exposed grey area for riders who wear riding pants and riding boots. So is the femur incidentally - and that's a much larger bone and a much worse break were it to happen. Sobering thoughts. Good to rein in that right hand.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:00   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All riding pants are the same; offers good protection on knees & good abrasive resistance through the legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I agree that the tibia is an exposed grey area for riders who wear riding pants and riding boots.
I have a Cramster riding pant which has an almost like knee guard knee protection, and thought all riding pants came with such protection. So, any idea why the riding pants skimp on adding protection below the knee cap?

--Anoop

Most Viewed