Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 13:30   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Wanted to know about the SPG specifically
See, it certainly does its job, not that I haven't used, yes, I've used, it will protect from both Wind as well as Water, but why I don't like to use is...

It has a soft net like material inside the liner (which JR & PT liners don't have) & certainly after a ride, there will be some amount of sweat in the body & this net material sticks to the body; I really cannot live with it. Does that happen with other liners? Yes it does, but doesn't give a feeling like the net sticks to the body & the liner is ready to be removed. Its purely a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th August 2014 at 18:17. Reason: Quote fixed.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 16:33   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, most of my friends with whom I ride on weekends use the ZUES brand (its local to Hyderabad and its owner his a hard core bulleteer) and its quite good quality (tried out their jackets a few times) and is priced on par with its competetors like Spartan and DSG

Infact, if i ever will buy a riding pant to replace my Joe Rockets, then it will be a Zues as its locally available
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 18:02   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Doc, most of my friends with whom I ride on weekends use the ZUES brand (its local to Hyderabad and its owner his a hard core bulleteer) and its quite good quality (tried out their jackets a few times) and is priced on par with its competetors like Spartan and DSG

Infact, if i ever will buy a riding pant to replace my Joe Rockets, then it will be a Zues as its locally available
Funny you say that, because one of the dealers in Pune is also a close friend and riding buddy of mine and also a hard(er) core Bulleteer.

And for some reason he gets his "maal" from Delhi ...... in fact he's there right now trying to arrange for an Apollo in my size to see and try on (negotiations pending).
Old 12th August 2014, 21:56   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, the one you bought is proper touring jacket & SPG doesn't have one & neither Helios will satisfy it.

Not to offend, but to bring few things to lime light...Pls see the description in the website it says "800 D Ballistic Cordura" & the word "Ballistic" makes the difference; as mostly Ballistic goes with Nylon & not with Cordura.

Anyway, if you know how to identify the difference between Cordura & Ballistic Nylon & can share here...much appreciated.
No offence taken.I think the Cordura is more of a reference to the brand itself these days. Check the chart at http://www.cordura.com/documents/luggage_made_to_last.pdf
Old 12th August 2014, 22:19   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Iam unhappy with my Joe Rocket pants for following reasons :-

1. Knee Pads slide down almost till shin level

2. Pants are not a good fit and look quite baggy. Waist till knee fitting is good but, below knee its quite loose and also flares at the bottom

I guess the result of buying something in a hurry. Does anyone know if riding pants can be altered?

If no, then i will have to stop using these and buy myself a new one or use just knee protectors over jeans
Maybe you can try wearing it over your Jeans? It may be rough for a warm day, but will reduce the baggy feel.
Try to wear the boot over the pant, so it doesn't flap too much. Mostly sports bike riders do that.
But if you don't feel comfortable don't wear it, nothing like a uncomfortable gear while riding to distract you.

Worst case, if you still have the bill send it to America thru someone and I can help return it for you. Where did you get them from?
Old 13th August 2014, 00:55   #1821
BHPian

My riding gear

LS2 helmet
AGV Sport Laguna perforated leather jacket
DSG Mesh gloves (with Kevlar knuckles)
Alpinestars Net Air boots

Need suggestions for knee guards. Have a pair of riding pants (Joe Rocket mesh ones) on order but the reviews aren't that great and I'm wondering if Kevlar jeans with knee protectors are a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-1407871443551.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-1407871454795.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-1407871472512.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-1407871485706.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-1407871501103.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-1407871512527.jpg  

djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 08:33   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Need suggestions for knee guards
After my friend's accident recently, I've lost faith with both riding pants & knee guards, sorry :(

Anyway, to answer you, I would suggest you to try any bionic knee guard instead of any motocross ones as they seem to clutch the knees & underneath better.

Quote:
Have a pair of riding pants (Joe Rocket mesh ones) on ...if Kevlar jeans with knee protectors are a better idea.
Could you please Google & put the picture of the one you ordered for me to understand which model you've bought. Tks

Both Kevlars & Mesh (I take it that Mesh here means, some riding pant made out of Cordura material) does the same job...abrasive resistance. Kevlar jeans looks like ordinary ones but offer protection & don't need to feel embarrassed (odd one) when you're on ride & can attract less attention. Kevlar is lighter than Mesh. All said, Kevlars are expensive than mesh!! Last but not the least, if you buy a Kevlar jeans, you can try & use (though I haven't tried) a knee guard over it, which I'm sure cannot be done over a mesh riding pants
Old 13th August 2014, 09:02   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please Google & put the picture of the one you ordered for me to understand which model you've bought. Tks

Both Kevlars & Mesh (I take it that Mesh here means, some riding pant made out of Cordura material) does the same job...abrasive resistance. Kevlar jeans looks like ordinary ones but offer protection & don't need to feel embarrassed (odd one) when you're on ride & can attract less attention. Kevlar is lighter than Mesh. All said, Kevlars are expensive than mesh!! Last but not the least, if you buy a Kevlar jeans, you can try & use (though I haven't tried) a knee guard over it, which I'm sure cannot be done over a mesh riding pants
Hey Aargee, thanks for your reply. I ordered the Joe Rocket Phoneix pants. Here's a link to the site: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...enix-3-0-pants

There are AGV Sport Kevlar Cargos and Kevlar jeans for about the same price:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ar-cargo-pants

which are tempting me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-2011joerocketphoenix30pants.jpg  

Old 13th August 2014, 09:48   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey...a link to the site:which are tempting me.
Ok, from what I understand is...
Kevlar offers NO knee protection, while, JR offers. In terms of abrasiveness, no doubt Kevlar is best & offers atleast 2.5 times more protection than JR Phoenix 3.0, unless, JR is made out of 1000 D, which is unusual, as most mesh riding gears are made around 600 D.

May be a Kevlar jeans + a bionic knee guard? Or a motocross knee guard, but it might look ugly.

Now, go-ahead, make your choice
Old 13th August 2014, 13:46   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be a Kevlar jeans + a bionic knee guard? Or a motocross knee guard, but it might look ugly.
For some brands of Kevlar lined jeans option are available to get CE Approved knee and Hip guards that are inserted in the jeans and stay in place with full length velcore

One example - http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/acatalog/...ycle-jean.html

I have been using this combo for several years now and to say the least it saved my skin (at least)

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 13th August 2014, 15:03   #1826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Worst case, if you still have the bill send it to America thru someone and I can help return it for you. Where did you get them from?
Prem, I bought it myself from a store in Boston. Can it be returned physically as I know someone who'll be going back to Boston on Sep 1st

Btw, I threw the bill away...Will they still accept it?

Quote:
AGV Sport Laguna perforated leather jacket
Sid, that jacket looks like its going to cook you in the Mumbai temparature....Are you sure your comfortable in them?
Old 13th August 2014, 15:54   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Got my uner armor gear from Decathlon yesterday.

The top is nice and I look forward to wearing it.

The bottom is definitely a bit on the warmish sid but thankfully not poky.

Quality of both garments is good for the price.
Old 13th August 2014, 16:00   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
For some brands of Kevlar lined jeans option are available to get CE Approved knee and Hip guards that are inserted in the jeans and stay in place with full length velcore
Tks, good to know there're options; I was answering with respect to his product that he choose to buy
Old 13th August 2014, 21:03   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Prem, I bought it myself from a store in Boston. Can it be returned physically as I know someone who'll be going back to Boston on Sep 1st

Btw, I threw the bill away...Will they still accept it?
How did you find a motorcycle gear shop in Boston???

Yes you can return it as long as you have the barcode tag on. What was the name of the shop, I can call them and check as well.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 12:11   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Tried on all 3 jackets of Spartan yesterday - sizes L and XL of each.

I did not find anything so great about the KNOX armor versus the regular CE armor in the lower 2 versions. I am talking physically. Don't know the molecular level structural science .....

The rain liners are way too short. Such that you will have a wet belly button between the top and the pant (hopefully also waterproof) section.

The liner in the Atlas (4K base version) is zip on removable. It cannot be worn as a separate garment as with the ones on the 4.8K Icarus and the 6.8K Helios.

The sleeve fit in the base Atlas and the top Helios is good. Its not as good in the mid Icarus - which is odd because it has the best adjustment system of the 3 - buttons top and bottom of the elbow armor.

But the Helios is way too expensive for what it offers - nearly 7K for a mesh jacket with no thermal layer. I'd rather pay that sort of money for a proper touring jacket - like the Cramster K2K or the slightly costlier DSG Triton.

The Icarus does not fit well - the L whose sleeve is fitting ok is too tight and short otherwise. The XL is too big and long on the sleeve such that the elbow armor rides low, but fits ok otherwise.

At that price point, the Cramster Breezer 4.0 at 5.5K also gives a quilted thermal layer if I'm not mistaken (or is it only for the 6K costing 4S?). And fits better on the sleeves. Although the rain layer is not detachable as a separate garment. But overall better value.

So surprisingly the cheapest Atlas impressed me the most. At 4K its a nice basic daily rider mesh jacket, which fits well (both the L and the XL - the latter if one wants to wear warm layer/s underneath). Looks good too. And has nice articulated armor.

One thing that was really uncomfortable and irritating about all 3 jackets was the too tight elastic at the hand end of the sleeves of the rain proof layer that makes getting into the jacket and taking it off a painful chore (though for the trials I had the store boys to assist me LOL ).

The shoulder and elbow armor coverage in terms of size and shape and curve and area covered is very decent for all 3 jackets. As a comparison, the shoulder armor of the Cramsters is too low and rear-ward and leaves the front bony prominence of the shoulder joint absolutely unprotected.

Hope this short review helps!

Last edited by ebonho : 14th August 2014 at 12:14.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed