Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 10:28   #1891
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Im planning to buy myself a pair of riding boots.
Checked out the below options
1) SPG Zeus, Tried size 42 and 44 but I did not like the fit of it. (Price ~8k)
2) Alpinestar SMX-6 is available from DSG (Price ~16.5k)
3) Spidi XPD- XP3 boots (Price ~16.5k)
4) Cortech Latigo Air-RR boots ((Price ~11.5k)

The last two options are available form
http://www.motosport.com/IN/motorcyc...tigo-Air-Boots
The website claims that the indicated prices are inclusive of shipping and customs.

Is there a place where I can try these shoes and then buy them in Bangalore?

Please suggest me your opinions. My maximum budget is 17k

Last edited by AMG_ang : 24th September 2014 at 10:28. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 24th September 2014, 17:19   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Is there a place where I can try these shoes and then buy them in Bangalore?

Please suggest me your opinions. My maximum budget is 17k
Here's the best option when it comes to importing from abroad; find out your shoe size from any reputed brands that are available locally available shop. For instance, try out SIDI or A* from any store that stocks them. Simply go-ahead & order it from the website, especially when you're ordering a good brand like Cortech, who makes to international sizing specification.

For instance my EU size was 42 which I know from the Woodland shoe I use. So I went ahead & ordered A* & needless to say, the fitting was as if it was tailor made.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 19:27   #1893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Here's the best option when it comes to importing from abroad; find out your shoe size from any reputed brands that are available locally available shop. For instance, try out SIDI or A* from any store that stocks them. Simply go-ahead & order it from the website, especially when you're ordering a good brand like Cortech, who makes to international sizing specification.

For instance my EU size was 42 which I know from the Woodland shoe I use. So I went ahead & ordered A* & needless to say, the fitting was as if it was tailor made.

aargee, need a clarification. The cortech boots size in the above site is mentioned as 8.5,9 ,9.5 like that. Are those US size or UK size?

Shipping and duties come to nearly 6K making the total cost go to 19K. Not worth IMO. Better to buy A* at a lower cost in India itself

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 24th September 2014 at 19:31.
Old 24th September 2014, 21:38   #1894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
aargee, need a clarification. The cortech boots size in the above site is mentioned as 8.5,9 ,9.5 like that. Are those US size or UK size?
Sir, they're US size

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Shipping and duties...Better to buy A* at a lower cost in India itself
Agreed beyond any doubt; these days the savings by importing from US is nearly marginal or negligible.

However, the savings come into effect when ordering worth of 40-50K+. This happens when two or more people combine their order, the shipping cost & the customs will be very less compared to buying them in India.
Old 26th September 2014, 23:06   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
The website claims that the indicated prices are inclusive of shipping and customs.
Just checked the website mate. The listed items are not inclusive of custom duties, taxes and shipping.

The Latigo RR order for instance, will look somewhat like this:

Price of the boot - 11571
Shipping - 1519
In case you choose to prepay duties and taxes - 6490

Grand Total - 19580

I for one would look at Planet DSG for my shopping if I were you. They have some pretty solid pricing on A-Star products.

For example - A star SMX 6 costs $270 and at around Rs 61 to a $, it costs Rs 16470 in the states. In India, they have the boot listed at 16,500. Just perfect!!!

Or you can also consider the wonderful touring boot from A-star again called the "Web Goretex".

Depends on what your usage will be. For a more sport riding sort of usage, go the SMX 6 way. If you will tour extensively, the Web Goretex should be high on your priority

All the best bud
Old 26th September 2014, 23:18   #1896
BHPian

Does anyone here often use leather jacket/pants , for street riding ? I'm sure several use leathers on the track, but for the street , do the leathers get too uncomfortable ?

It seems none of the available fabric gear is heavier than 600-denier, and that too in limited areas. Plus, I think manufacturers use a lot of marketing leeway branding products as "kevlar-reinforced" and "ballistic nylon" but actual use is scant. So leather is starting to look more attractive, but even there mixing of terminology is used to mislead - like "top grain" as opposed to "full grain" leather.

I'm going to be checking out gear physically over coming weekends, but it seems we get hyped stuff at inflated prices. So any recommendations for specific brand/models of jackets , pants to look out for ?
Old 27th September 2014, 14:22   #1897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
So leather is starting to look more attractive, but even there mixing of terminology is used to mislead - like "top grain" as opposed to "full grain" leather.
Ricci, what's the meaning of top grain and full grain?
Old 27th September 2014, 15:33   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
From wiki: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather

Full-grain leather refers to hides that have not been sanded, buffed, or snuffed (as opposed to top-grain or corrected leather) to remove imperfections (or natural marks) on the surface of the hide. The grain remains allowing the fiber strength and durability. The grain also has breathability, resulting in less moisture from prolonged contact. Rather than wearing out, it will develop a patina over time. High quality leather furniture and footwear are often made from full-grain leather. Full-grain leathers are typically available in three finish types: aniline, semi-aniline and napa leather.
Top-grain leather (the most common type used in high-end leather products) is the second-highest quality. It has had the "split" layer separated away, making it thinner and more pliable than full-grain. Its surface has been sanded and a finish coat added to the surface which results in a colder, plastic feel with less breathability, and it will not develop a natural patina. It is typically less expensive and has greater resistance to stains than full-grain leather, so long as the finish remains unbroken
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 15:38   #1899
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks,

Sorry for the mass quote but that's often the best way of inviting recently active folks to respond!

Are there any "mesh" gloves out there? I cant find any online on the usual ecommerce sites.

I would like something as airy as my jacket: http://laudeman.com/hondavlx/titanium_air.html

I have a limited budget for the gloves - max 2k since I use the bike only two days a month (max four). This is anyways only for commuting (80 kph tops), so I don't need top of the line protection.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/almo...-red/766229774 is well within my budget but looks like a cheap copy pasted stuff.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/ryno...umbLabelId:317 looks okay but seems rather sweat prone, ie unsuitable for Delhi/Gurgaon hot weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Any opinion on HELD gloves?

I am specifically looking at buying one of HELD's Rodney or Airstream II or Steve gloves.

Any user opinion on any of these gloves is welcome.

Am also looking for some info on sizing. My palm circumference is just over 8.5". Will size 8.5 work or is 9 better? I take Large in Dainese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
UN, As you probably may know CAT boots per say are not ridding boots.

CAT unfortunately has, these days, become more of a fashion accessory. But they still have their "industrial range" with toe protector etc, which are 100 times more sturdier than the rest of the range (they usually come in solid black or brown only). Such ones still heed to rough and tough of extreme industrial usage and hardcore trekking etc. The fashion range obviously will not stand up to it.

As righly pointed out by you it's better to go for proper ridding shoe always even if its a slightly more expensive proposistion.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, I use the CAT steel-toe boots as my riding boots and they've been amazing. Even saved me in an accident I had - protected my toes from being chopped off!
Quote:

Quote:
Does anyone here often use leather jacket/pants , for street riding ? I'm sure several use leathers on the track, but for the street , do the leathers get too uncomfortable ?

It seems none of the available fabric gear is heavier than 600-denier, and that too in limited areas. Plus, I think manufacturers use a lot of marketing leeway branding products as "kevlar-reinforced" and "ballistic nylon" but actual use is scant. So leather is starting to look more attractive, but even there mixing of terminology is used to mislead - like "top grain" as opposed to "full grain" leather.

I'm going to be checking out gear physically over coming weekends, but it seems we get hyped stuff at inflated prices. So any recommendations for specific brand/models of jackets , pants to look out for ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Old 27th September 2014, 16:40   #1900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hello folks,

Sorry for the mass quote but that's often the best way of inviting recently active folks to respond!
You have not quoted me, still let me have the liberty to respond.

Quote:
I have a limited budget for the gloves - max 2k since I use the bike only two days a month (max four). This is anyways only for commuting (80 kph tops), so I don't need top of the line protection.
[
At this budget you can get some goodies from Cramster. You can get a pair of 'Flux' for about 1650/- from Cramster, excluding shipping. It offers reasonable protection and is a proper summer glove. I have been using 'Tundra' for a while and they offer very good protection and are really good. Though, they are rated as winter gloves, but I have had not much problems in summers too. But for your purpose, I would recommend Flux.

You can take a look (& order) here: (Please note that shipping is additional if you do not have access to physical stores)
http://www.cramster.in/categories/Cr...U00053167.aspx

PS: No affiliations to the company or the seller.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 18:08   #1901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any "mesh" gloves out there? I cant find any online on the usual ecommerce sites
No personal preference or usage, but, without a doubt Planet DSG products are best VFM - http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-motomes...ack-p-461.html
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 20:39   #1902
BHPian

@phamilyman,

http://www.amazon.in/Genuine-PRO-BIK...robiker+gloves

Probiker gloves are well under 1k, and pretty comfortable in the summer, and have lasted me pretty well (no crash testing done, thankfully). They are not gauntlet type, but I suppose it fits your bill fine, protection wise I think they're similar to the above DSG gloves.

Last edited by Ricci : 29th September 2014 at 20:39. Reason: added url
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 17:45   #1903
Senior - BHPian

And I just got these off Amazon! Perfect fit!

The Riding Gear thread-hd-shoe.jpg
Old 30th September 2014, 19:19   #1904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a limited budget for the gloves - max 2k since I use the bike only two days a month (max four). This is anyways only for commuting (80 kph tops), so I don't need top of the line protection
While a mesh / textile upper is fine, you definitely need a leather palm to provide real protection in case you come off your bike. 80 odd kph on 2 wheels is pretty fast, nothing to scoff at

A 100 Rs increment in your budget gets you this:

http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=2&typ=8&sc=1

Cramster flux is another decent option for around 1700, but not sure of breathability as its all leather

I am very sure you do not mind a 100 rupee increase in your damage to wallet. As I recollect, your philosophy on buying a cycle is "the best you can afford, and then go a level higher" So I know for a fact that you will not scoff at sepending another 100 Rs to provide "real" protection

IMO, do not look beyond either Flux or Phaeton. Try them on and see what works best for you

All the best

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 30th September 2014 at 19:21.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 22:45   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You have not quoted me, still let me have the liberty to respond.

At this budget you can get some goodies from Cramster. You can get a pair of 'Flux' for about 1650/- from Cramster, excluding shipping. It offers reasonable protection and is a proper summer glove. I have been using 'Tundra' for a while and they offer very good protection and are really good. Though, they are rated as winter gloves, but I have had not much problems in summers too. But for your purpose, I would recommend Flux.

You can take a look (& order) here: (Please note that shipping is additional if you do not have access to physical stores)
http://www.cramster.in/categories/Cr...U00053167.aspx

PS: No affiliations to the company or the seller.

Regards,
Saket
Hey thanks - will look them up locally.

Quote:
No personal preference or usage, but, without a doubt Planet DSG products are best VFM - http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-motomes...ack-p-461.html
This looks nice and is pretty much what I had in mind.

Quote:
@phamilyman,

http://www.amazon.in/Genuine-PRO-BIK...robiker+gloves

Probiker gloves are well under 1k, and pretty comfortable in the summer, and have lasted me pretty well (no crash testing done, thankfully). They are not gauntlet type, but I suppose it fits your bill fine, protection wise I think they're similar to the above DSG gloves.
Hmm. They look a bit too simple, without any specific protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
While a mesh / textile upper is fine, you definitely need a leather palm to provide real protection in case you come off your bike. 80 odd kph on 2 wheels is pretty fast, nothing to scoff at

A 100 Rs increment in your budget gets you this:

http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=2&typ=8&sc=1

Cramster flux is another decent option for around 1700, but not sure of breathability as its all leather

I am very sure you do not mind a 100 rupee increase in your damage to wallet. As I recollect, your philosophy on buying a cycle is "the best you can afford, and then go a level higher" So I know for a fact that you will not scoff at sepending another 100 Rs to provide "real" protection

IMO, do not look beyond either Flux or Phaeton. Try them on and see what works best for you

All the best
I quite like phaeton because its only 10km from my house and quite convenient that ways. I have seen the shop many times - will visit it now.

The limit is completely artificial. I currently use a pair of regular ~500 rs wala gloves with some really kickass padding fabricated by the legendary Doctor Arnob Gupta but some stupidity on my side (replaced the peeling off glue with fewikwik) which resulted in it tearing and my losing the padding. else i've been happy for several years. I was just keeping a limit to start with.

of course, hands are irreplaceable - I will spend as much as is required - I just had a sense that 2k should "do it" for simple non-gauntlet non-leather gloves! Good to know that I wasnt wrong

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks