Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 11:09   #1906
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Purchased Cramster elbow protector and knee protector for a friend, we were not sure about price however it turnout to be easily affordable.

http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...d-6940326.aspx

http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...d-6940336.aspx

Anyone here using it, what is the effectiveness of material used.

I am thinking of buying a good jacket for daily use however the jackets are very heavy. Do you guys use these type of jacket for daily riding with in city limits? I know biker is always exposed irrespective of city limit or highway however the weight of jacket is my main concern.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 1st October 2014, 12:20   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
While a mesh / textile upper is fine, you definitely need a leather palm to provide real protection in case you come off your bike. 80 odd kph on 2 wheels is pretty fast, nothing to scoff at
Thanks from my side as well. Considering you too are based in Delhi could you please help me plan the right gear and where (not online) I can get them?

Gloves as you had mentioned would be Spartan Phaeton (where), Jacket (what and where), Tank Bag, perhaps RJays (where) and may be even a helmet (zeroed on Studds).

Even though I have more than a lakh km under my belt but after having left riding for more than 7 years, discussions here make me feel like a noob... goes with my status.
Old 1st October 2014, 12:55   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Thanks from my side as well. Considering you too are based in Delhi could you please help me plan the right gear and where (not online) I can get them?
Planet DSG
1. Meandering India, D 4/B, Masoodpur, Opp Sec B Pocket 8, Gate No 2,
Main Road, Vasant Kunj,
Tel: 9810168402.
Brands: Alpinestars, Cardo, Daijya, DSG
2. Chopra Automobiles, 1709-a, Arya Samaj Road, Karol Bagh
Tel: 9212728848
Brands: Alpinestars, DSG, Nolan
3. Dewan Auto, J-25, Central Market, Lajpat Market-II
Tel: 9810692928
Brands: IXIL

Crapster
Adventure-18
#18, Satya Niketan, Opp Venkateshwara College, New Delhi - 110021.
Phone: 011-32970400 | 011-26878888

Chopra Automobiles
1709A, Arya Samaj Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi - 110005.
Phone: 011-28752270, 64777177

MEANDERING INDIA,
SHOP # D 4/B,
OPP SEC B POCKET 8, GATE NO 2,
MAIN ROAD,
NEAR G.D. GOENKA SCHOOL
VASANT KUNJ,
NEW DELHI – 110070

PH# 9810168402.
011-26898955

PGS Biking Gears
902, JOSHI LANE (Nr- Chappar wala Chowk )
Karol Bagh , New Delhi -110005 Tel - 011-23541035
Mob - 09310522555, 09810522555
Primary Email: sales@paradisemount.in
Secondary Email : paradisemount1@gmail.com

MAHALAXMI AUTOMOBILES
2286-87 , Essel Mansion, Arya Samaj Road,
Karol Bagh, (Opp. Union Bank)
New Delhi -110005
Tel: 41545606, 28753504
Tele/Fax: 28755812
Mob: 9811489949, 9811684167(Monday Closed)
Email: amitkalsi@rediffmail.com, amitkalsi1976@hotmail.com

Adventure 18
16, Satya Niketan
New Delhi 110021
Fax: 011-26878888, 26878890
Tel: +9111-32970400, 26878888, 26878890
Email: sales@adventure18.com
Open: 11 am to 7 pm(Mon to Sat), 3pm - 7pm (Sun)
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 13:06   #1909
BHPian

I'm off to Banglore to pick up a mesh jacket and knee gaurd .
I'm planning to visit Orion Motors , the Dainese store and Let's Gear Up .
The jacket choices are Alpinestars Viper air , DSG Genesis or some affordable Dainese .
The knee guard will be Alpinestars Bionic Sx or Dainese knee guard .
Any other options and stores I should look for ?
Old 1st October 2014, 13:27   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I'm off to Banglore to pick up a mesh jacket and knee gaurd .
I'm planning to visit Orion Motors , the Dainese store and Let's Gear Up .
The jacket choices are Alpinestars Viper air , DSG Genesis or some affordable Dainese .
The knee guard will be Alpinestars Bionic Sx or Dainese knee guard .
Any other options and stores I should look for ?
I visited Orion motors on Monday, they have a very good stock of almost the entire range of Alpinestars, The Alpinestars Bionic knee guards cost was around INR 3.6k.
The entire range of Products from Dainese are quite expensive. if your tight on your budget then I suggest you pick up the Alpinestars or from DSG, or even from Cramsters. They are serve the purpose and worth the bucks.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:23   #1911
BHPian

Great to know that Orion motors has Alpinestars ,I'm looking t get the Bionic Sx knee guards ahttp://www.planetdsg.com/alpinestars...rds-p-987.html .

Dainese is expensive ,anyway going to have a look and see if its worth the premium over the Alpinestars .
Old 1st October 2014, 15:21   #1912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great to know that Orion motors has Alpinestars ,I'm looking t get the Bionic Sx knee guards ahttp://www.planetdsg.com/alpinestars...rds-p-987.html .

Dainese is expensive ,anyway going to have a look and see if its worth the premium over the Alpinestars .
I am also looking at the same knee guards. Let me know if they are available at Orion when you visit them. Will be helpful for me.
Old 1st October 2014, 16:02   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Glad I could be of some assistance bud. Here would be my pick for the riding gear if I were buying locally and on a tight budget (not sure what your budget it, hence starting from the lowest. No offence):

- Jacket : Any of the Spartan mesh jackets that you can afford, including their 4 odd thousand rupee one (Atlas?). Just make sure it fits well
- Pants : Spartan mesh again. I do believe Spartan's stuff stands head and shoulders above the desi competition
- If pants are not an option, you can opt for a strap on knee guard from Cramster. Do not have any experience using it though. At a glance, it seemed Ok and will probably perform its duty. Budget permitting, you can look at A-stars Bionic as well
- Gloves : Something like the Cramster flux if on a budget. I personally did not like how the glove fit and felt, but YMMV. Else again, Spartan Pegasus is a good choice. For winters, Spend Rs 400 to buy a slik glove liner. I have the Cramster Tundra but can tell you from experience, in the REAL cold, these things give up in less than half hour of city riding
- Boots : At minimum, get yourself a pair of DMS boots from the army surplus store (Gopinath Bazaar) for around Rs 500. Search this thread on how to differentiate between the real DMS and designer fakes. I think the cheapest riding boot you can buy locally (not the crappy PSG stuff) would again be from Spartan for around Rs 7000. Bachoo motors also stocks some stuff called "Tarmac" for around Rs 5000, but (A) You will need to get it shipped from Bombay and (B) Never heard of this (Tarmac) brand
- Helmets : Studds is a good and sturdy helmet. My concern with them always has been that I have never found one that fits me well (too loose). But since you are looking at spending big bucks on a tank bag, I would urge you to swap budgets between the tank bag and helmet. Just adding a couple of thousand bucks to your budget gets you helmets with international certifications and a much better fit, finish and comfort. You should try "MT helmets" for around the Rs 4000 mark. Avoid LS2 helmets. And please please do not choose Chopra for your helmet purchase. Everything (sans DMS boots) that I have listed above should be available at Meandering. The owner (Rajiv) is pleasent to deal with and you can be rest assured that you are not being pawned off a fake product (unlike Chor-Pra)
- Tank bag : I use the Dirtsack tank bag, which doubles up as a tail bag for my KTM. Wonderful fit, finish and utility. You can try speaking to the company owner as well. What a brilliant fellow. My tank bag sees daily abuse, is packed to the rafters and has also been (unfortunately) crash tested. Good news though - the bag came out unscratched. Not a thread out of place. Comes with a very useful and bright rain cover also. Highly recommended. Available at Meandering again

Just a suggestion, always call the Meandering store before you go there to check upon stocks. My one complaint if any with these folks is that they are mostly out of stock, especially when it comes to Spartan's gear

Let me know how it goes man. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Crapster
LOL! You Really have it in for Cramster, dont you? Not one opportunity missed

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st October 2014 at 16:06.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 18:31   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Purchased Cramster elbow protector and knee protector for a friend, we were not sure about price however it turnout to be easily affordable. Anyone here using it, what is the effectiveness of material used.
I used the cramster knee guards for a day... and promptly returned them for a refund the next day.

The rivets popped out on its first day out and given my bad experience with their products I did not want to compromise on safety. So i got my money back and bought the Alpinestars Bionic knee guards which cost me 5 times more but was worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I am thinking of buying a good jacket for daily use however the jackets are very heavy. Do you guys use these type of jacket for daily riding with in city limits?
I have been using a Cordura jacket for the last 4+ years. It is hot and sweaty but on the move it is ok. I just picked up a mesh jacket (Spartan Helios) and will be trying it on tomorrow for the first time. I expect it to be way more comfortable than the cordura jacket i was using all these years.

Buy a mesh jacket and you will find it easy even in peak summers.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 19:49   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am also looking at the same knee guards. Let me know if they are available at Orion when you visit them. Will be helpful for me.

The bionic SX is available in Orion motors ,9k .
I tried it on and felt uncomfortable in it ,as I'm not doing any hard riding now ,I picked up the vapor knee protector which is only 3.5k .

I picked up an Alpinestars Fednding Air jacket too , which feels snug ,light and of great quality .
Old 4th October 2014, 21:51   #1916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bionic SX is available in Orion motors ,9k .
I tried it on and felt uncomfortable in it ,as I'm not doing any hard riding now ,I picked up the vapor knee protector which is only 3.5k .

I picked up an Alpinestars Fednding Air jacket too , which feels snug ,light and of great quality .
Thank you for checking out the pricing.

Do you think Bionic SX knee protector can be worn under the normal Jeans pants?
Old 5th October 2014, 09:48   #1917
BHPian

Quote:

I'm not sure about that .

The "Vapor"can be worn under the jeans but it does not offer the same protection as the "Bionic SX" .

Check this ,
http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...ion-2014/black
Old 5th October 2014, 15:05   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No sire; bionic...over the pant or the jeans.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:45   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have been using a Cordura jacket for the last 4+ years. It is hot and sweaty but on the move it is ok. I just picked up a mesh jacket (Spartan Helios) and will be trying it on tomorrow for the first time. I expect it to be way more comfortable than the cordura jacket i was using all these years.
So here are my impressions after riding with my new mesh jacket (Spartan Helios) on this last saturday.

I rode to Davangere and back with a buddy of mine and I must say this jacket is a lot lighter than the cordura jacket (Cramster Raptor) that I used to wear earlier.

When I started out early in the morning at around 6am, I instantly felt like I was in an air conditioned environment. I have removed the rain liner so ventilation was on full blast.

Through the 550 odd kms ride from Blore to Davangere and back on the same day, I felt very comfortable.

Davangere was hot and i was sweating when we stopped for fuel and coffee breaks but on the move, the jacket allowed for max air flow keeping me cool. The armor on the jacket (elbow and shoulder) is Knox and spine protector is foam and a lot thicker than the foam on the cramster.

The fit, feel and construction of the jacket is top notch.

The inside left pocket (breast pocket) has a microfiber lining for sun glasses and the right one is a waterproof pocket for mobile phones. There are 2 hooks in the jacket - one inside to clip on the bike keys and one outside for gloves (or vice versa). Zippers are YKK and operate very smoothly. Velcro quality is good too.

Overall a VFM buy.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:48   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Overall a VFM buy.
Yes, Spartan always has been a VFM product. Just keep an eye on the velcro strap adjustment at the elbow. Mine got super elongated in last 38000 Km, that the elbow part is hanging loose these days.

Also keep an eye on the Jacket's zipper to see if it keeps coming down (unzip) on its own
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks