Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 10:17   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Even i am a satisfied user of Helios for the last 6 months. I use it daily and it is serving me well. I have also upgraded to KNOX back protector.

For the loose elbow elastic issue. Adjust the elastic so that the adjuster is at max tightness. This will ensure a snug fit and as well reduce the chances of sagging few months down the line.

If you have a stout neck then the zipper will move down a couple of inches no matter how many times you pull it up. I have learnt to live with it
Old 7th October 2014, 11:09   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For the loose elbow elastic issue. Adjust the elastic so that the adjuster is at max tightness. This will ensure a snug fit and as well reduce the chances of sagging few months down the line.
Could not be done unless its restitched; I've been lazy to hand it over to SPG to get it done for months now.
Old 10th October 2014, 15:09   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quick question:

-Have any of you ordered a pair of boots from some website in UK or USA and got it shipped over?
-How long did it take?
-Any customs payments made?
-Did it reach safely without damage?

Thanks!!
Old 10th October 2014, 18:41   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
-Have any of you ordered a pair of boots from some website in UK or USA and got it shipped over?
-How long did it take?
-Any customs payments made?
-Did it reach safely without damage?
Navpreet, take a look at this link. They ship to India directly and no hassles with duty. Hope this helps.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 19:17   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Navpreet, take a look at this link. They ship to India directly and no hassles with duty. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the Link Aditya. But these guys are exorbitantly priced. Example I am getting an Alpinestars Toucan boot with shipping from Germany for Rs.21000. These guys are quoting Rs.57000 with a duty of 19000 for god knows what!

Have you ordered from sites like Revzilla etc.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 10th October 2014 at 19:19.
Old 11th October 2014, 10:02   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the Link Aditya. But these guys are exorbitantly priced. Example I am getting an Alpinestars Toucan boot with shipping from Germany for Rs.21000. These guys are quoting Rs.57000 with a duty of 19000 for god knows what!

Why order from abroad when you have a good collection of high end riding gear available here in India?
Old 11th October 2014, 19:16   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
I tried revzilla but they don't accept PayPal payment for international orders unless you've ordered before. I've used MotorcycleGear.com with no issues. You have to pay customs duty to the post man which is a bit arbitrary. I had boots that cost $200 get away with duty of 500 rupees and a jacket for $49 being charged 2500 in duty.

So that's the only hitch. Shipping is pretty reasonable.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 08:06   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Why order from abroad when you have a good collection of high end riding gear available here in India?
For starters there is no good collection in India! They will sell the low end stuff for astronomical prices. I even order parts from online stores because they are priced at what they are internationally not like in India where the first thing is a 100% margin!

Secondly most of the shops here stocking boots don't even have Euro size 44-44.5 in the models I like.

Not even a single shop has alpinestars Toucan. The fit of boots is always an issue. I have had alpinestars and they have always been a good fit having a large toebox. Sidi, Joe Rocket, Dainese Etc. have a narrower toe box and hence a bit uncomfortable for me.

Thats why Order from abroad.

djpeesh: Thanks!

Last edited by navpreet318 : 13th October 2014 at 08:11.
Old 13th October 2014, 08:23   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow, that's quite an obscene amount of difference in the prices.

I was considering a GoPro, slip-on and some other stuff and the prices are high but for the boots you have mentioned it is indeed shocking.
Old 13th October 2014, 08:35   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that's quite an obscene amount of difference in the prices.

I was considering a GoPro, slip-on and some other stuff and the prices are high but for the boots you have mentioned it is indeed shocking.

Yep.
I have found 2 great stores from which guys at Advrider order from.

http://biker-land.de/index.php

https://www.fc-moto.de/en_GB

Once you register, you'll get prices without the VAT.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:03   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So here are my impressions after riding with my new mesh jacket (Spartan Helios) on this last saturday.
Overall a VFM buy.
This is one of the jackets I was considering while I was considering buying my riding gear. I bought the Cramster Hybrid riding jacket and although it is one of the best VFM jacket that money can buy it makes you sweat like anything. I removed all the outer reissa liners to reveal mesh, opened all the vents and removed the winter liner, inspite of all this I was still sweating like a pig.

I had gone for a ride to Nashik and the notorious october heat caught me unaware and I was literally drenched from inside maybe I sweat too much
but still I think this jacket is best used in winters and in a harsh terrain like Ladakh. I am looking at buying the Spartan Helios very soon, it has got very good reviews on this forum as well as elsewhere.

Thanks once again aditya for sharing your experience.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:38   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Can someone (anyone) please explain to me why everyone goes on and on about the Spartan Helios when the Spartan Icarus is as good (yes as good, feature to feature, material to material, actually fits better) and costs 2000 bucks less?

The only diferentiatior, the Knox armor, is a name. A brand. That's all. It is exactly the same CE rating as the armor in the Icarus as well as the lowly Atlas (another 1000 bucks less) - i.e. CE 1621-1.

I have actually closely inspected both armors. I do not believe there will be any difference in terms of crash/impact absorption. I could be wrond. Just wanted to know what others feel. Why do they choose to pay that 2 grand extra?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:23   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can someone (anyone) please explain to me why everyone goes on and on about the Spartan Helios when the Spartan Icarus is as good (yes as good, feature to feature, material to material, actually fits better) and costs 2000 bucks less?

The only diferentiatior, the Knox armor, is a name. A brand. That's all. It is exactly the same CE rating as the armor in the Icarus as well as the lowly Atlas (another 1000 bucks less) - i.e. CE 1621-1.

I have actually closely inspected both armors. I do not believe there will be any difference in terms of crash/impact absorption. I could be wrond. Just wanted to know what others feel. Why do they choose to pay that 2 grand extra?
Well Doc, as far as I am concerned the Spartan Icarus as well as Atlas doesn't come in XXL size but only XL size. The Helios does come in XXL so people like me are left with Helios as an option as far as Spartan Mesh jackets are concerned. There are other brands as well but it is left to the buyers discretion to buy what they want. Again this is subjective but he Helios apart from knox armour looks good and has various color options which appeals to a lot of buyers.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 13th October 2014 at 12:24. Reason: grammar edits
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:27   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Well Doc, as far as I am concerned the Spartan Icarus as well as Atlas doesn't come in XXL size but only XL size.
Thanks bro. I did not know that. Also, as a business decision, even though the back protector size and shape is exactly the same, only the Helios guys get to upgrade to Level 2 back protectors (for 1500 extra). Not allowed for the Icarus buyers. Which could be a further factor.

Though I cannot honestly se myself spending 8300 bucks (6800 + 1500)for ANY Indian jacket. I'd rather spend that kind of money on an international brand.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:07   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
- Jacket : Any of the Spartan mesh jackets that you can afford, including their 4 odd thousand rupee one (Atlas?). Just make sure it fits well
- Pants : Spartan mesh again. I do believe Spartan's stuff stands head and shoulders above the desi competition

- Helmets : You should try "MT helmets" for around the Rs 4000 mark.
I had a word with Meandering. They don't keep Spartan anymore. Rather now they stock the range from DSG. Helmet is KYT. Any idea about it?

In any case they are expected to have it by the end of this month.

Thanks once again.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 14th October 2014 at 12:25.

Most Viewed