Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 22:34   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
Is there any multibrand jacket showrooms in chennai that I can go? I despise GP road so if there are any alternative suggestions, that would be much appreciated
1. Velavan Mechandise, Kodambakkam - www.velavanmerchandise.com
2. Moto101, Anna Salai - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moto-...13281128807598

Quote:
SPG does not have gloves. Can anyone suggest me a good pair and where I can get it? Thanks a ton for the help!
SPG has - http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=2&typ=9&sc=2

Above 2 links should help you
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 01:06   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post

Need some feedback on the brand SPIDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Not sure of the SPIDI brand though
On brand spidi - trustworthy high quality gear manufacturer. Sponsors a few motogp riders too

Basu - hope u realize the importance of wearing gloves at ALL times n don't have to learn it the hard way.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 20th November 2014 at 01:07.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 16:00   #1998
BHPian

@basuroy, You can check Cramster gloves
http://www.cramster.in/categories/Cr...U00053167.aspx

They have a sizing guide also. You can order the "Twister Touring" gloves or the "Tundra Winter" gloves online. I've a store in town and I'm waiting for my size to arrive for the "Flux Summer" gloves Rs.1,650!
Store: RED PILLAR, Nagar Road (Behind IBM), Pune.

Thanks SDRam for your feedback Cramster Flux Gloves!

If you want to save a few bucks, try this
http://www.pgsbikinggears.com/motorb...ing-gloves.asp

Again, I'm waiting for my size for Model: 2513 Rs.1,200!
Store: Pro Biker Helmets, MG Road, Pune.
surjaonwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 16:42   #1999
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good pair of riding boots that can be worn once you're off the bike as well? Preferably available in India, and not one's that need to be imported.
Old 20th November 2014, 20:25   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Can anyone suggest a good pair of riding boots that can be worn once you're off the bike as well? Preferably available in India, and not one's that need to be imported.
I recently bought the Tourmaster boots for around 10k after discounts from Biking Spirit in Bangalore. Made of Goretex material where it matters and strengthened at all the right places. Have used them for a total of 2500 kms ride and walking around so far. Very comfortable to walk around in even after finishing the ride. Since its made of Goretex, its highly breathable & also almost 99% waterproof. Why only 99% - because if you are riding in pouring rain, water seeps in through your wet pants into the shoes which then becomes fully wet inside. Have done this too on a recent 1000kms solo ride. But putting them out to dry overnight and half of the next day in the sun ensured that I could wear it again and resume my ride. No soggy/wet feeling inside.
Old 20th November 2014, 20:49   #2001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT : Also how do I determine the best size ? Helmets have that chart to assist with online purchase , my guess is I am L though any benchmark one can compare against ?
While size is the most important criterion for most people, comfort is an oft overlooked aspect of riding gloves. For example, I love the fit of Cramster's TRG2 full gauntlets but for the life of me I cant find a pair from DSG that I am comfortable wearing. For many it is just the opposite. Basically the pair of gloves could fit your hand (size wise) but could be too loose or tight or just annoyingly imperfect in some small way (too tight at the knuckles maybe). Now if it isnt a perfect fit on day one, imagine how things will be if you end up using it for a few years.

My suggestion is please try out before buying a pair of gloves. I think I read on the D390 thread that you were planning to go to Delhi (?) for your alloy issue. If so, try and buy from there. Also if you plan on doing long rides and your budget allows it, think about a full or half gauntlet over a city size. The gloves are good at keeping wind out of your jacket through the cuff area (full giving more protection from wind than half)
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 23:10   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
My suggestion is please try out before buying a pair of gloves. I think I read on the D390 thread that you were planning to go to Delhi (?) for your alloy issue. If so, try and buy from there. Also if you plan on doing long rides and your budget allows it, think about a full or half gauntlet over a city size. The gloves are good at keeping wind out of your jacket through the cuff area (full giving more protection from wind than half)
I see the point you are trying to make with comfort - it is like shoes in a way , I myself tried to ride with a proper armored glove once and could barely move my fingers hence my willingness to buy something that sacrifices additional protection in interest of light weight and flexibility(suggestions since my initial query have been more than satisfactory ).

I have to take a gamble on that however since we don't have outlets for gloves etc here , studds helmet is the premium and sole offering in biking gear shops . While purchasing from Delhi is a good idea , I will freeze within 50kms as december is very chilly here , so need a solution ASAP . And with the wedding to attend and work next day, doubt I can even find time to get the tire protector(issue not with alloy but leaky puncture that is bearable for the time being , tire protector should fix it from inside ) let alone allocate further shopping time .

Anyways I figured out a good solution , I have ordered a pair of regular gloves(ironclad - not riding specific but have a reputation of making sturdy wear and tear resistant stuffs ) yesterday from FK that seems fine on paper to protect me from the chill and if time permits , I will shop for riding gear at Delhi or order the cramster tundra winter glove suggested in a prior post seem nice too .
Old 20th November 2014, 23:32   #2003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways I figured out a good solution , I have ordered a pair of regular gloves(ironclad - not riding specific but have a reputation of making sturdy wear and tear resistant stuffs ) yesterday from FK that seems fine on paper to protect me from the chill and if time permits , I will shop for riding gear at Delhi or order the cramster tundra winter glove suggested in a prior post seem nice too .
That approach makes sense in your situation. However I wouldnt order the Tundra if I were you, it is a one trick pony. Once the winters are over, you wont be able to use it and this is as per the info the folks in the Cramster store in Bangalore gave me. Thus you would go glove hunting in a few months time. I would suggest you wait for your Delhi trip and and try and buy.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 19:04   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

SPG has - http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=2&typ=9&sc=2

Above 2 links should help you
Thanks aargee for the moto101 reference. I had personally visited SPG showroom and they said they do not have gloves, I am averse to buying gloves and jackets online. Will go back and check again.
Old 24th November 2014, 22:22   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks aargee for the moto101 reference. I had personally visited SPG showroom and they said they do not have gloves, I am averse to buying gloves and jackets online. Will go back and check again.
Same here, I have been following SPG for more than a week now, they don't have stock of full leather gloves. Is there any better alternative in the price range of 3-3.5K?
Old 27th November 2014, 21:11   #2006

No need for any accessories unless we do real rallies.
I have traveled across India without accessories and on my RX100 and no major accident (read broken bones). Only the unsure and outrageous will talk about gloves, shin guard, et al. Not to mention the over-enthusiastic throttle
Old 27th November 2014, 21:38   #2007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasd75 View Post
I have traveled across India without accessories and on my RX100 and no major accident (read broken bones). Only the unsure and outrageous will talk about gloves, shin guard, et al. Not to mention the over-enthusiastic throttle
If you do take the trouble to go through this thread and similar thread across biking forums worldwide, you will understand why many bikers invest their hard earned money on riding gear. In my limited experience of riding a bike (12 years only) I have found most riders who have invested in riding gear tend to be sensible with the throttle and are aware of their capabilities and more importantly, limitations. The wording you have chosen seems to suggest ignorance rather than malice and I hope you invest the time to go through this thread. May you continue to ride safely.
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 21:52   #2008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As Neil has mentioned, it's ignorance on your part.

We would not be having this thread with so many posts if people were foolish thinking riding gear is unnecessary.

It's good to hear that you have not met with any accident. And I hope the streak remains. God speed.

I have met with a horrific accident. And in my 80k kms of riding I can say that you never know what will happen when. Better to be safe than sorry

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 27th November 2014 at 21:53.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 11:13   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
suhasd75 mate I think you need to rethink about your decision of not wearing riding gears while going on long rides or even short ones. One of my friends' friend had a fall while riding him KTM Duke 390, his elbow took a very bad hit, the abrasion was so harsh that his bare bones were visible. Had he been wearing a riding jacket which comes with adequate protection he would have saved his elbow. I have been going on some really long rides and some shorter ones, I make it a point to wear my riding gears comprising of an armoured riding jacket, armoured riding pants, armoured gloves, and ofcourse helmet. Believe me it gives one a lot of confidence about safety while riding with these gears. My mantra is "Safety First, Always."

Last edited by navin_v8 : 28th November 2014 at 11:14.
navin_v8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 17:36   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Any opinion on HELD gloves?

I am specifically looking at buying one of HELD's Rodney or Airstream II or Steve gloves.

Any user opinion on any of these gloves is welcome.

Am also looking for some info on sizing. My palm circumference is just over 8.5". Will size 8.5 work or is 9 better? I take Large in Dainese.

Hi

I did go ahead buy a HELD Airstream II, after all. (Will post pics later)

In a word, the gloves are just Brilliant!.

There is a mild pre-curve to it and the workmanship is top quality. It fits, well, like a glove. The knuckle protectors are exactly on top the knuckles and the join between the thumb & forefinger follow the curve of my hand perfectly (both were issues in the various gloves I had tried locally - mostly the join was too high). Grip is excellent.

The main reason why I bought it is for the airflow - in South India, even in Bangalore, most of the time you are combating a lack of air flow vs a chill. I have tried it out a couple times now (short, city rides) and while not like mesh gloves, they are certainly airy. Given the protection, I guess it delivers what is claimed.

I paid $150 in the US for it. So, it is not cheap by any stretch of imagination. But I think it is better to buy a top quality, well fitting glove at the beginning rather than try some local, random gloves for 2-3k and then buying the top glove.

The only other glove I really liked were the Dianese but they cost more than the HELD, at least here in Bangalore.

So, I am happy, if poorer!

Most Viewed