Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 18:29   #2041
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I picked up the A* bionic chest pads this week from Orion Motors for Rs 2000. The A* jacket comes with sponge protectors though I am not sure what sort of protection they actually provide. The bionic chest pads are definitely a worthy investment http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...onic-chest-pad All that safety, plus its added two inches to my chest size!

I also picked up the same Track Breed Gear gloves from Lets Gear Up that sagarpadaki reviewed a few weeks ago. After 4 years of using the Cramster TRG2, this pair took a little getting used to but overall quality feels top notch. Time will tell if it is worth the Rs 4,000 price tag. I will post updates as I clock more miles with the pair.
Old 20th December 2014, 10:47   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Thought i'd share.

Helmet - HJC CL-16

suit - IXON Pulsar Air

Gloves - Ixon RS Moto HP

Shoes - SIDI ST Air

Spine Protector - Joe Rocket

The Riding Gear thread-20141220_072939-copy.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20141220_103555-copy.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 20th March 2015 at 00:07. Reason: Pictures straightened.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 17:29   #2043
BHPian

An update on my gear:

Helmet: I got an MT Blade Super R helmet a few weeks back: I found it to be very comfortable during my ride to B'luru and back. It is relatively quiet at 100Kmph. At the end of the ride I had no discomfort at all. The sealing between the visor and the helmet is very good. On the way to Chittoor it was raining and there was absolutely no seepage of water into my head. Being a baldy it wouldn't have mattered much They have the GPS locator enabled by NFC. Unfortunately there is no app for the windows phones.

Gloves: Twister Touring Gloves from Cramster. Using it for a year in Chennai and am comfortable

Inner Knee Guard from Cramster: Got them a couple of weeks back. They are very comfortable and fairly indiscreet. I was wearing them from the morning at 8.30 on my way to my B'luru office and left there at 11 and reached my home in Chennai at 6 pm. None in my office realised that I was wearing them until I told them. I never took them off until I reached home. May be the weather also played a role in the comfort levels.

Elbow guards from Cramster: I find them very easy to slip on and off. Once I wear them they fit so well that I don't feel them at all. There is no CE marking in this or the Knee guard.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-dscn0720.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0721.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0722.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0724.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0709.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0710.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0711.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0712.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0714.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn0717.jpg  

Last edited by arulpeem : 20th December 2014 at 17:33.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 11:34   #2044
Senior - BHPian

OK after picking up my 650 Ninja on 5/11/14 I had to do a quick round of Bangalore to get my gear. Have ridden about 700 kms till date and here is my experience. I am 5' 7" 65 Kgs.

Helmet. I had to get a good fit as the LS2 that I was wearing used to move around my head at speeds >120. Also I use spectacles so a tight fit and specs are actually opposite requirements. I tried out many a helmet and when I tried out the HJC CL17 Osiris Medium size I was floored. The fit was superb and my specs fitted in easily. No buffetting even upto 170 kmph. Store Biking spirit. 15k/-
The Riding Gear thread-img_20141104_174222.jpgThe Riding Gear thread-img_20141104_174233.jpg
Jacket. I had used cordura and leather jackets before and rides in summer were killing. So i went in for Spartan Helios mesh medium. Super fit and finish. It has CE armour on elbows, shoulders and back. With the waterproof lining (and wearing a full sleeve cotton vest inner) I am comfortable in temperature of 15 degree C. Without the liner I have ridden in upto 25 degrees C and found it comfortable. Store Biking Spirit cost 6800/-.

Trousers. Spartan Proteus pants is what is written on the bill, but the pants themselves are labelled "ASPIDA" by spartan. It is mesh with CE armor. Comfortable, well made (apparently) and I use small size. On my last ride a buckle on the waist band has come off due to faulty stitching. Store Lets Gear up, cost 6300/-. When I told the store about the buckle they said to take it up with spartan. After sales service???

Gloves. Got a pair of RJAYS canyon gloves. Very happy with them as far as comfort and ventilation is concerned. Store orion cost 3000/-.
The Riding Gear thread-img_20141110_163035.jpg
Boots. I have had a lot of difficulty with inside zip boots. Getting them on and off was a pain but this is a requirement of good boots as they should stay on the foot in an accident. So the degree of difficulty in getting them on and off is proportional to their protective characteristics. I found a pair of alpins stars front lace short boots which I liked a lot. Getting it on and off was a breeze and the laces get tucked into a velcro band across the shoe. Store orion cost 12000/-
The Riding Gear thread-img_20141110_162959.jpgThe Riding Gear thread-img_20141110_162953.jpg
Gear for wife. She is 5' 53Kg so getting a good fit jacket was difficult. Eventually got an Alpine star Fending Air Jacket Small size mesh. Fitted her very well and is as thermally comfortable as my Helios. Store Orion cost 12000/-. got an LS2 helmet and a pair of very strong hiking boots from Decathlon.

Here we are in gear with our grand daughter at Adigas Kolar
The Riding Gear thread-img20141130wa0003.jpg
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 20:28   #2045
BHPian

@Arulpeem and Goandude,

Lovely helmets, both - but I might be biased considering I have the same model/graphics/colors in the MT Blade ! For around 5k, it's the best helmet I've had yet and the most expensive. Only complaint is wind noise well into 3 digit speeds.

I got myself some gear after some procrastination and analysis-paralysis. Since fit is a critical factor, tried to source locally and the only budget suits were Willow 1-piece which I believe is an already discontinued suit. The other was Moto Verse, which was really VFM for the price offered but having found no reviews, wasn't sure if I should buy it, esp a 1 piece suit since I have no prior experience with leathers.

So eventually settled for a 2 piece combo from Triumph apparel itself, the Misano leather pants and Mugello leather jacket. They complement my bike very well too, being all black with no color patches anywhere, it does however have a nice glowing logo+strip on the arm, when light is incident upon it. So it looks all black but under direct light shows up bright. Neat touch. Again, I couldn't find any reviews but based on personally examining a couple of other suits, I couldn't find any visibly inferior points. I know that's a weak argument, since quality of the leather and stitching, can't be determined visually alone.

What I do miss are pockets - the jacket has 2 external and 1 internal pocket, which I find a tad small. That, and the absence of knee sliders on the pants. I do think the hip armor should have been better, but I haven't seen any better hip protection in leather suits, at least the cheaper ones. Have not examined the expensive suits over 50k, so no word on that.

Here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-20141220257.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20141220258.jpg  

Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:52   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows how well these

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAGNU...012489159.html

Will hold up as Riding Boots? At 3500, they seem like a good deal for a 150cc bike. They also look fantastic!
Old 23rd December 2014, 23:12   #2047
BHPian

Anybody plan on getting these anytime soon?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rcycle-helmets

$84 shipped to India

Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 07:13   #2048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post

$84 shipped to India
Errr why not stick some 3M reflective tape if you're so worried about visiblility? The video seems to me like the product is more of a showoff and impress others rather than meant for safety.

I'm sure it would be less luminous than a tail lamp from the back or the headlight from the front.
Old 24th December 2014, 09:15   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Errr why not stick some 3M reflective tape if you're so worried about visiblility? The video seems to me like the product is more of a showoff and impress others rather than meant for safety.

I'm sure it would be less luminous than a tail lamp from the back or the headlight from the front.
Ofcourse yes, it is purely meant to showoff the tron look.. I never said about it was for safety
Maybe the wrong thread to post in, but didn't find a more suitable one like an accessories one.
Old 24th December 2014, 10:34   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

If the helmet meet the safety laws, its not a show off helmet. My HJC CL16 glows in the dark too.

Quote:
Ofcourse yes, it is purely meant to showoff the tron look.. I never said about it was for safety
Thats how one thinks, but i guess the company made it with some intention in mind. This would be really useful in India as there are so many roads and highways that don't have proper lighting, fog during winter.

The other thing one can do is buy brighter coloured helmets, rather than dark colours.
Old 24th December 2014, 11:36   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Thats how one thinks, but i guess the company made it with some intention in mind. This would be really useful in India as there are so many roads and highways that don't have proper lighting, fog during winter.
Lets be clear, this is not a safety device. It is purely only for achieving the tron look. Safety is only a side effect of the product. That is not what they had in mind when making this.

No one should not be buying this if you don't already have the money to buy a reflective liner jacket. This is only for accessorizing. I should have made this clear in my first post

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 24th December 2014 at 11:44.
Old 24th December 2014, 11:37   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cyrus the virus why dont you just stop by at your local bike shop. Its already here.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting posts which have links to videos as it inconveniences our mobile users.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20141211_183630.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th December 2014 at 17:16.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 12:12   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
If the helmet meet the safety laws, its not a show off helmet. My HJC CL16 glows in the dark too.
I guess you missed reading this part to SunnyBoi in the post.

Quote:
Lets be clear, this is not a safety device. It is purely only for achieving the tron look. Safety is only a side effect of the product. That is not what they had in mind when making this.
If it was manufactured in India i can understand your point of not being a safety device, we all know how the system works and certificates earned. Abroad it wont be allowed to sell if it does not meet the criteria. Someone i know abroad has the tron styling done to his Aventador, this does not mean the aventador is just for show and looses its safety features.
Old 24th December 2014, 13:11   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Cyrus the virus why dont you just stop by at your local bike shop. Its already here.
Bro, you do realize that those lights is plugged to the bike battery right? This comes with its own battery kit connected on the side of the helmet. Go to the site for more info.

To quote what the manufacturers had in mind when starting this kickstarter project:

LightMode has created a permanent helmet modification that surrounds your helmet with electroluminescent (EL) materials in true 360° fashion. The modification helps riders become more visible in night settings by illuminating the highest point of the rider: their helmet. For riders, getting noticed is not just about the ego boost, it's also about safety. Motorcycles are roughly 1/6th the size of a 4-door sedan. That translates to a significant reduction in visibility which every rider, and rider's family, has to accept.

According to a study published by BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal), the use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk compared to wearing a black helmet. Evidently, the visibility of one’s helmet plays a significant role in rider safety. A major issue is that riders are very likely to forgo safer gear for better aesthetics. But we ask, why not give them both?

Old 24th December 2014, 18:21   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro, you do realize that those lights is plugged to the bike battery right? This comes with its own battery kit connected on the side of the helmet. Go to the site for more info.
Its EXACT same thing. Like you said it will come with its own battery.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile users. You can retain only the part of the post to which you want to reply and delete the rest of the text within the quote tags.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th December 2014 at 17:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks