Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:53   #2071
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
1) Jacket- Spartan Atlas/Icarus.
My concern is, will the gear I've posted above suffice? ( temperatures, rain and crash protection ).
Hi I bought the Icarus and used it on trip from Chennai to Trichy and back. I used the jacket with the rain liner. I wore on top of my denim full sleeved shirt. When I left Trichy at 6.30 in the morning the jacket+denim shirt was not warm enough for me. So if you are planning to use it in Leh, then you may have to use some good winter wear too. The elbow guards were in the right place through out the journey. But the right shoulder guard was sliding a little to back. Otherwise the fit and finish seem to be good.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 00:31   #2072
BHPian

I saw these really nice Royal Enfield gloves at the RE stall at Forum, Bangalore. A tag claimed to have some sort of 3M protection.. Are these gloves of good quality or is the Rs 2,399 price tag a complete waste?
Old 6th January 2015, 09:28   #2073
BHPian

any opinion from members on these pair of gloves, look like a bang for the buck at the current price.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-fl1-gloves
Old 6th January 2015, 19:42   #2074
vcx
BHPian

Check out TBG gloves, very good for the price and offers Knox protection on Palm too, which is best in the price range.

I have bought it after checking many availble in shops and online across seas. I bought it when visiting Bangalore from Let's gear up store for Rs. 2999/- and my experience past 1000+ kms has been assuring and comfortable.,The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420553443.669234.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
So eventually settled for a 2 piece combo from Triumph apparel itself, the Misano leather pants and Mugello leather jacket.
How did you pay fo this triumph set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Right now I have the Dyna jacket by Cramster in mind, would like to get some more suggestions and ideas.
Not sure if you have got to check the store Bike o Pedia store in Hyderabad near Malaysian Township, they have good stock of Cramster, Spartan, DSG.

Also another store is On the Rocks near Hi tech city Ayyapa society, 100ft road.

Note from Support - Posts merged and edited. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. See this thread to learn how to use the Multi-Quote feature. Please also avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th January 2015 at 09:36. Reason: Posts merged
Old 7th January 2015, 23:26   #2075
BHPian

@vcx - you mean "how much" in place of "how" ?
159xx for the pants and 21480 for the jacket. If you meant how, my answer is "through the nose"

@munchy-cool : doesn't look very great to me. These aren't gauntlet gloves, you can get better gloves for a few hundred more.

Last edited by Ricci : 7th January 2015 at 23:29.
Old 8th January 2015, 08:47   #2076
BHPian

Quote:

@munchy-cool : doesn't look very great to me. These aren't gauntlet gloves, you can get better gloves for a few hundred more.
Any pointers from Revzilla closeout sale would be appreciated. Max budget is $50.

Note to mods - I know I am posting in the same thread again with back to back posts, but I do not see an option to edit my previous post, maybe because I have less than 25 posts.

Any views on these gloves peeps.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...ure-gel+gloves
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...rs_sp-3+gloves

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2015 at 23:13. Reason: Posts merged. Edited.
Old 8th January 2015, 22:59   #2077
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
@vcx - you mean "how much" in place of "how" ?
159xx for the pants and 21480 for the jacket. If you meant how, my answer is "through the nose"

Lol yes, I meant " How much"
Old 8th January 2015, 23:33   #2078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Any pointers from Revzilla closeout sale would be appreciated. Max budget is $50.

Note to mods - I know I am posting in the same thread again with back to back posts, but I do not see an option to edit my previous post, maybe because I have less than 25 posts.

Any views on these gloves peeps.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...ure-gel+gloves
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...rs_sp-3+gloves

The Tourmaster glove above looks good, a little short on finger protection though. The A-stars looks better and is cheaper.

Off Revzilla closeouts, for under $50 this would be my pick :
http://www.revzilla.com/product/fiel...apex-20-gloves
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 19:07   #2079
BHPian

My recently acquired gear.

The pics are below - please let me know your thoughts. Happy to also hear if there are things I can do to improve my own safety. Thanks!

Riding Jacket
The Riding Gear thread-img_0517.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img_0518.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img_0521.jpg

Boots
The Riding Gear thread-img_0526.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img_0528.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img_0529.jpg

Gloves
The Riding Gear thread-img_0532.jpg

Back protector

Helmet
The Riding Gear thread-img_0513.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img_0516.jpg

Knee pads (to be worn under the riding pants)
The Riding Gear thread-img_0524.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th January 2015 at 19:39. Reason: Images inserted within post. I think you're missing one image for the Back Protector.
Old 14th January 2015, 19:46   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post

The pics are below - please let me know your thoughts. Happy to also hear if there are things I can do to improve my own safety. Thanks!
Thats a nice jacket and boot. Would be really helpful if you can share a small feedback or review for them. Also which models are these, where did you get these from and how much you paid would be helpful. I am planning to upgrade my riding jacket so it would help me.

I think you probably need to improve on the gloves from a safety point. Rest items look really good.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 20:07   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Would be really helpful if you can share a small feedback or review for them. Also which models are these, where did you get these from and how much you paid would be helpful. I am planning to upgrade my riding jacket so it would help me.
Regards
Rachit
Thanks Rachit. Yeah, I really like the jacket and the boots. The jacket is Dainese Super Speed Textile and the boots are Dianese Dyno Pro C2B. Very comfortable and well fitting jacket and it perfectly matches (or will eventually) my bike colours . The boots are probably the best ankle heights boots (or is it shoes?) I found in terms of protection. Metal toe sliders, ankle and heel sliders are awesome. I haven't had a chance to use them on a proper ride so far though and cannot give you a riding review yet (I only got my bike delivered today, you see).

I got them from the Dainese store in Orion mall - jacket c. 28k and boots c. 23k, IIRC (or vice versa). BTW, they have a similar leather jacket (perforated) as well, which I would have bought eyes closed if I lived in colder climes. A little expensive, but IMHO well worth my safety (also got my wife's approval - so it must be a good decision, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I think you probably need to improve on the gloves from a safety point.
I think you are right about the gloves - the underside (palm side) only has synthetic padding on the impact areas and I would have much preferred leather patches instead. As far as the fingers are concerned, I actually prefer the current glove configuration.

In my limited experience of riding motorcycles in college and when I started working, I have had my fair share of spills but never ever injured the top of my fingers. I think the natural instinct is to use palms to break a fall, so the top side remains fairly insulated from potential harm.

Appreciate your feedback man! Cheers!!
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 21:07   #2082
BHPian

After long time planning for a motorbike and touring. Thanks for the suggestions in this thread.

Instead of buying jackets and pants (with shoulder & elbow protectors), is it sufficient to buy a body armor like (http://www.pgsbikinggears.com/motorb...y-products.asp) and a knee guard. Wear these under normal winter/rain jacket and jeans. Planning for short trips upto 500 kms (up and down).

Whether these armors provide same protection as jackets with protectors.
Old 15th January 2015, 23:13   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshs View Post
After long time planning for a motorbike and touring. Thanks for the suggestions in this thread.

Instead of buying jackets and pants (with shoulder & elbow protectors), is it sufficient to buy a body armor like (http://www.pgsbikinggears.com/motorb...y-products.asp) and a knee guard. Wear these under normal winter/rain jacket and jeans. Planning for short trips upto 500 kms (up and down).

Whether these armors provide same protection as jackets with protectors.
The armor will provide protection to the bones, but you will lose out on the abrasion resistance provided by the material in the riding jackets/pants.

In other words, you will have protection for your bones without protection for your skin. So proper riding jackets, pants, gloves and boots are highly recommended for touring.

OT I got a virus alert from Avast when I opened the PGS Gears' link posted.

Last edited by theredliner : 15th January 2015 at 23:14.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 07:15   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
Helmet
Attachment 1328430
Wanted to hear your experience with this helmet because I own one & get a super howling noise on long hauls.
Old 16th January 2015, 10:10   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Wanted to hear your experience with this helmet because I own one & get a super howling noise on long hauls.
Hi Aargee, I will tend to agree with your experience. I used it for a shortish ride yesterday morning (110 KMs) and was mostly under 80kph with a lot of wind coming in despite the vents being closed. Yesterday was quite nippy early morning and I didn't want the venting - but limited choice in this matter as far as the helmet was concerned.

BTW, the helmet itself is very well fitted on my head. I'm about 59cms size and this is medium - the AGVs, Sharks and HJCs would only fit in L. Despite the shortish stint and the limited speeds, I think noise will be a little louder on this helmet as the intensities increase. I'll update my views once I've had a chance to break it in on longer rides. It is a very comfortable helmet though and generally works well. If wind noise does become a factor going forward, I'll think about using ear plugs (though plugs are not something I'm a big fan of, as hearing is a 'sense' I rely heavily on, while on the road).
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks