Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:54   #2221
BANNED

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I would like to buy a pair of Gloves.

My needs:

1. Meant for daily use (70 kms) in hot, humid weather and once in a blue moon 200 KMS rides

2. Comfort, Protection & Longevity

Budget : 2500

Which one should I choose among these ?

http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...d-1333215.aspx
http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...d-1333211.aspx
http://www.cramster.in/Products/Cram...d-1333217.aspx

I'm open to other brands....

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:11   #2222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

My needs:

1. Meant for daily use (70 kms) in hot, humid weather and once in a blue moon 200 KMS rides

Thanks in advance.
Slightly off your budget but hopefully you can stretch.

http://wheelsnshields.com/riding-gea...reet-reviewed/

https://www.facebook.com/thebreedgea...8495952326201/

Great protection. Good ventilation. Cow hide. SPS. Stitching quality looked very good when I saw this one in person.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:18   #2223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Slightly off your budget but hopefully you can stretch.

http://wheelsnshields.com/riding-gea...reet-reviewed/

https://www.facebook.com/thebreedgea...8495952326201/

Great protection. Good ventilation. Cow hide. SPS. Stitching quality looked very good when I saw this one in person.
Thanks for your recommendation.

But it's not easily available at Cochin.

Should I go against Cramster?
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:25   #2224
BHPian

Quote:

I think they ship these for a couple of hundred bucks from bangalore. Maybe you can call and ask Lets Gear Up, bangalore.

I have not used a glove from Indian manufacturer's yet but what I hear is Spartan is probably the best of the lot and cramster/zeus/dsg are a bit further behind. I think people with personal experience with them will give you a better s insight.
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:23   #2225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
I think they ship these for a couple of hundred bucks from bangalore. Maybe you can call and ask Lets Gear Up, bangalore.

I have not used a glove from Indian manufacturer's yet but what I hear is Spartan is probably the best of the lot and cramster/zeus/dsg are a bit further behind. I think people with personal experience with them will give you a better s insight.
TBG short cuffs is probably the best glove you can buy for the money. LGU will ship it to you.

A lot of us use it and it has served well. Its very comfortable and breathes fairly well. Its oil cured leather rather than water cured like many, and has Knox bits on the palm to prevent injuries to the palm.

They also have gauntlet ones, which is just a wee bit thinner in construction and perhaps more suited to sport riding rather than Crusing.

Also they give 6 months warranty and in case anything goes wrong, the will exchange it. Not many vendors do that.

I suggest you stay away from Cramster gloves. While their jackets and pants are good, their gloves suck.

Go for it and make sure you buy the right size.
rakesh_S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 16:04   #2226
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
TBG short cuffs is probably the best glove you can buy for the money. LGU will ship it to you.

A lot of us use it and it has served well. Its very comfortable and breathes fairly well. Its oil cured leather rather than water cured like many, and has Knox bits on the palm to prevent injuries to the palm.

They also have gauntlet ones, which is just a wee bit thinner in construction and perhaps more suited to sport riding rather than Crusing.

Also they give 6 months warranty and in case anything goes wrong, the will exchange it. Not many vendors do that.

I suggest you stay away from Cramster gloves. While their jackets and pants are good, their gloves suck.

Go for it and make sure you buy the right size.
I guess that quote was meant for you mithun

BTW KNOX SPS, is more, a protection for your wrists than your palm. Obviously it increases the abrasion resistance of the area but it is there so that when you a break a fall with your hands, your wrists slide instead of twisting and braking under friction between road and leather.
Old 3rd April 2015, 06:11   #2227
BANNED

Thank you Sojogator & rakesh_S for your help.

How is Spartan(http://spartanprogear.com/Details.as...=2&cat=2&typ=9) when compared to TBG Street ?
Old 3rd April 2015, 19:18   #2228
BHPian

Hi, I was just going through the royal enfield website, recently heard that they have launched their official merchandise and gear (I might be quite late to hear that).
I found their stuff to be really cool (at least looks that way) and well priced. Can someone tell me if their shoes, buffs, gloves, etc etc are any good?

Thank you
Old 4th April 2015, 18:36   #2229
BHPian

I use A* jacket, Rjays Gloves, and ASPIDA - ZEUS Sport boots (I use all of them for my daily rides to office). I am planning to get a A* riding pants as well, but may not be using it for daily rides; so wanted something to protect my knees during daily rides.

I came across this, has anyone used or heard about this knee guards???
http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...e-guards/black

I would prefer to wear knee guards below the jeans/trousers; please suggest.
Old 4th April 2015, 18:57   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
I came across this, has anyone used or heard about this knee guards???
http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...e-guards/black

I would prefer to wear knee guards below the jeans/trousers; please suggest.
I have used these for a number of rides. They are comfortable but you have to get the tension of the velcro elasticized straps just right, too tight and they pain, too loose and they slip off.
Yes you can wear then below the trousers and if the trouser is loose enough can possibly slip them off from below.
Safe riding.
Old 5th April 2015, 12:21   #2231
BHPian

Quote:

My needs:

Thanks in advance.
Hey Mithun, sorry to weigh in so late. I use the DSG Mesh gloves and I think they're fabulous. The mesh keeps your hands fairly ventilated and I had a spill and fell on my palms with no scratches. The knuckles are apparently made from Kevlar although I'm not sure how protective they are.

They're well in your budget and you should try them out.

One last point, for some reason these gloves work with my phone. My icon pursuit gloves don't let me use my touchscreen but these ones do. And I've tried them with a nexus and an iPhone.
Old 7th April 2015, 00:00   #2232
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Very few on the forum already know this and few may have guessed from my recent posts - that I have finally booked my dreambike. I booked it in Feb and am still awaiting delivery - which has been promised by mid-April.

The bike - as you may have already guessed - is a black/green Kawasaki Z800. It is going to be my first superbike - a dream which I have been running after for more than 15 years. So finally am going to stop runnning and start riding.

Most of my riding will be within city limits - probably twice a week to office (total 15 kms) and weekend leisure rides. Once I have set my hands on the bike and am comfortable, I plan to take it out of Mumbai - up to Panvel/Lonavala. My riding too is not going to be very fast or aggressive - I dont think I would even cross the 100 kmph mark within Mumbai city limits. Keeping all these things in mind, I would need your help in making a list of things that I need to invest in making every ride enjoyable and safe.

Personal Safety
1. Helmet : LS2 FF350 Atmos. After reading reviews on LS2 Helmets, I started searching for a design which would go well with the black/green color on the Z800. The one that I really liked was a black/green LS2 FF350 since it perfectly matched the bike. The only problem was that it was Out of stock. Then I came across the LS2 FF350 Atmos which reminded me of the GSX-R1000/750/600 of the late 90s - one of my favorite superbike. I was hooked on to it and even though the color did not match the Z800 - I went ahead and ordered it.

2. Riding Gear : I am planning on the AGV Sports Solare riding jacket and Elbow/Knee protectors from Cramster. But will wait for your suggestions before I go ahead.
Motorcycle Safety
1. Engine Guards : I am in the process of ordering the Kawasaki Engine guards. Will post pics and more information once I have done so.

2. Fork Protectors : Need assistance.

3. Tank Pads : Need assistance.

4. is there any other accessory that I need to look at?
Motorcycle Accessories
1. Paddock Stand : As you know, I do not let anyone wash my bike - I do it myself - and that too in very detail (every spoke, every cable, every nook and corner). So I will need a paddock stand. I have ordered for one and am awaiting delivery. More on this when it arrives.

2. Spools : Need to buy.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 00:18   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Very few on the forum already know this and few may have guessed from my recent posts - that I have finally booked my dreambike. I booked it in Feb and am still awaiting delivery - which has been promised by mid-April.

The bike - as you may have already guessed - is a black/green Kawasaki Z800. It is going to be my first superbike - a dream which I have been running after for more than 15 years. So finally am going to stop runnning and start riding.

Most of my riding will be within city limits - probably twice a week to office (total 15 kms) and weekend leisure rides. Once I have set my hands on the bike and am comfortable, I plan to take it out of Mumbai - up to Panvel/Lonavala. My riding too is not going to be very fast or aggressive - I dont think I would even cross the 100 kmph mark within Mumbai city limits. Keeping all these things in mind, I would need your help in making a list of things that I need to invest in making every ride enjoyable and safe.

Personal Safety
1. Helmet : LS2 FF350 Atmos. After reading reviews on LS2 Helmets, I started searching for a design which would go well with the black/green color on the Z800. The one that I really liked was a black/green LS2 FF350 since it perfectly matched the bike. The only problem was that it was Out of stock. Then I came across the LS2 FF350 Atmos which reminded me of the GSX-R1000/750/600 of the late 90s - one of my favorite superbike. I was hooked on to it and even though the color did not match the Z800 - I went ahead and ordered it.

2. Riding Gear : I am planning on the AGV Sports Solare riding jacket and Elbow/Knee protectors from Cramster. But will wait for your suggestions before I go ahead.
Motorcycle Safety
1. Engine Guards : I am in the process of ordering the Kawasaki Engine guards. Will post pics and more information once I have done so.

2. Fork Protectors : Need assistance.

3. Tank Pads : Need assistance.

4. is there any other accessory that I need to look at?
Motorcycle Accessories
1. Paddock Stand : As you know, I do not let anyone wash my bike - I do it myself - and that too in very detail (every spoke, every cable, every nook and corner). So I will need a paddock stand. I have ordered for one and am awaiting delivery. More on this when it arrives.

2. Spools : Need to buy.
Congrats on the Z ! Kawasaki has struck the right chord with this discount thing ! We will see how you never cross 100 kmph

I have the following accessories on mine.

1 - R&G fork protectors - PRS mumbai
2 - Puig R12 frame slider - RetroRiders, Delhi
3 - Kawasaki Engine Guard - motoriders.in, Bangalore
4 - Evotech Radiator Guard - BSS, Mumbai
5 - Tank Pad - Keiti Karbon Fiber, Orion Motors, Bangalore
6 - Paddock - G&A Facebook page, Mumbai

I believe, frame sliders, engine guards and Radiator guard are absolute necessities.

Don't think you need a elbow protector if you have a decent jacket. Don't forget the boots and the gloves (leather ones preferably) as they are bare minimum gear you would want on you in case of a mishap.
Old 7th April 2015, 08:44   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on you Z800!!! I am sure that would be some feeling when you get your hands on your dreambike; do keep us posted with updates and Pictures.

Quote:
My riding too is not going to be very fast or aggressive - I dont think I would even cross the 100 kmph mark within Mumbai city limits.
I don’t have a superbike (probably would get one next year) but I am sure it can do triple digits without much effort, so it’s going to be a challenge. Not sure how crazy the traffic is in Mumbai, coz here in Bangalore such speeds are possible only if you drive early in the morning that too in outer ring road/ Airport road. ALL THE BEST!!!

Quote:
2. Riding Gear : I am planning on the AGV Sports Solare riding jacket and Elbow/Knee protectors from Cramster. But will wait for your suggestions before I go ahead. [/indent]
Considering the amount you have spent on the bike, I suggest you invest in good riding gears. Depending on your budget I suggest you go for either A*/Dianese/SPARTAN. I personally use A* jacket (it has got CE certified elbow, & shoulder protector; Foam for chest & back – 11K) & ASPHIDA - ZEUS Sports boots (8k). Few of our fellow BHPians swear by SPARTAN Jackets, you can check out post by Aargee for more details.

If you plan to go for 1 piece suit, then you can try TBG; I have not used it personally but have read some good reviews about the same.
Chida is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 09:24   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering Mumbai weather I feel you must stick to mesh jackets and trousers. The Spartan Helios mesh jacket coupled with the ASPIDA mesh riding trousers provide good protection, zip together at the back to form one unit and have adequate ventilation.

Safe and happy riding
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed