Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 21:11   #2326
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I was reading this thread and learnt that DMS boots are a good option.
I picked up my pair of boots from Armstrong Products, Mumbai. Not sure if they are real army boots or just replicas, but the ones I got were perfect. They were steel toed and had sufficient padding around the ankles. Paid Rs.2600 + 100 for courier. I just got them and have used them only once on a 400 kms ride and IMO there was no discomfort at all. Also, the boots have mesh around the sides for breathability. I felt that they were VFM.
If you are looking for original army boots, I suggest you try out one of the Army surplus stores in your city. In Bangalore we have one at Shivajinagar but they never seem to have stock of DMS boots.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 17:13   #2327
BHPian

I am searching for a suitable protective gear for my son who is 6 years old and not able to find anything good here in Bangalore. I am looking for a Jacket, Boots, gloves, Helmet and if possible back & Chest protector. Dianese, Harley or other big names were not of any help as they do not stock gear for kids.

Requesting a good lead from the fellow TBHP'ians here.
Old 11th May 2015, 17:21   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
I am searching for a suitable protective gear for my son who is 6 years old and not able to find anything good here in Bangalore. I am looking for a Jacket, Boots, gloves, Helmet and if possible back & Chest protector. Dianese, Harley or other big names were not of any help as they do not stock gear for kids.

Do make a visit to Let's Gear Up - When I visited there last time, they had a racing suite made for a young gentleman (IIRC, around 14 yr old) on display. They may be able to make one for your kid also.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 18:57   #2329
BHPian

I doubt you will find them in India where finding gear for adults itself is a pain, when compared to other countries.

Might check these. Guess they size according to age too.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ding-gear.aspx

Not that I should but I would advice against a 6 year old being on a 2 wheeler. Way too much risk considering the dangers that accompanies.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 13:33   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My friends son uses an Alpinestar bionic protector and over that wears a normal jacket. I don't recall the brand of riding boots and other stuff, but i can ask him. His son also similar aged races with the dirt bikes.

There is this this gentleman from Chennai who makes custom 1 piece or 2 piece suits. His name is Ansar - 09841058786. I know a lot of riders have their suits made by him.

Hope this helps, as another Bhpian helped me with his contact.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 19:00   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Not that I should but I would advice against a 6 year old being on a 2 wheeler. Way too much risk considering the dangers that accompanies.
Thanks Sojogator. Not that I take him for long rides, but just that I want him to be protected while on city rides as well. He likes riding and actually he says it's his bike that I take for a ride on Sundays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
My friends son uses an Alpinestar bionic protector and over that wears a normal jacket. I don't recall the brand of riding boots and other stuff, but i can ask him. His son also similar aged races with the dirt bikes.

There is this this gentleman from Chennai who makes custom 1 piece or 2 piece suits. His name is Ansar - 09841058786. I know a lot of riders have their suits made by him.

Hope this helps, as another Bhpian helped me with his contact.
Yes if you can find out on the Alpinestar protector and PM that would be great. Thanks for the contact. Will call Ansar to see what options he has for kids. Once again thank you both.
Old 12th May 2015, 19:50   #2332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Your son will outgrow any riding gear you get him within a year or two max. So does not make sense getting a single piece suit .

Besides kids will get extremely uncomfortable in full leather suits in hot weather.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 14:23   #2333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not that I take him for long rides, but just that I want him to be protected while on city rides as well.
Yes if you can find out on the Alpinestar protector and PM that would be great.
Can i make a suggestion, get a cycling, roller skating elbow and knee pads to wear over or under the jacket and pants. Even if he outgrows they can be used by someone else and not expensive also to replace.

The Alpinestar dealers are DSG Pune and Mumbai..so they would be the best people to inform of what stocks they carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Your son will outgrow any riding gear you get him within a year or two max. So does not make sense getting a single piece suit .

Besides kids will get extremely uncomfortable in full leather suits in hot weather.

There are options like just a jacket, 2 piece, 1 piece or just pants..it all depends on needs. Plus one can customise it with their name, birthdate, colour preference etc. I use a perforated leather suit and i don't feel that much of the heat as everyone warned me about.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 07:29   #2334
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Dust Harl,
I see a lot of kids into motorcross. Let me check with friends who ride and come back to you. I am sure FOX racing has stuff for kids and if its available in India. Will let you know.

Cheers
Rahul
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 08:14   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Oops. Looks like every product is differently priced as per wish
Hey Sojogator,
Hope all good and super with you.

From personal experience don't rush into things as there so many options available and to spend money on. I did that, honestly have more than what i need in the end.

Choices which i made are as follows not necessarily the right ones but its there.

- Leather jacket. I went to Triumph to book the bike and bought this. I don't know what i was thinking. Felt like England in there i guess.
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...cket-mlps12014

- Then i bought the Rjays mesh jacket
http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.ph...duct&id_lang=1

- Then the Alpinestars
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...s-r-air-jacket

The Alpinestars is far superior to Rjays. The fit, the overall feel of the jacket is much better. Not to forget the confidence it inspires. The armour is much better than the one on Rjays. I'd wear the Rjays in the city but for long rides Alpinestars is the way to go. (However bad that branding looks)

- Shoes. I wanted something discrete (like you) hence picked up the
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...land-gtx-boots
I haven't used them a single day. Except playing dress up at home before i got the bike.

- Figured need more. With protection and oomph.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-cobra-air-boots
Haven't used them a single day as well. Hopefully tomorrow. And yes they are really good.

I also got gloves.

http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.ph...duct&id_lang=1
These after wearing for a while i did not like. Hence ordered these, which are on the way.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-s-1-gloves

Finally Helmet.

Got the Icon Ghost carbon. It's good and light.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...-carbon-helmet

However now i think i should have got this.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-carbon-helmet

But then i got this too. For the city. My wife calls me all the time. It was distracting when riding. I understand where she is coming from, hence to keep her updated. The good thing is i don't have to remove my gloves, jacket and fish for the phone. I just stop on the side, finish my conversation and move on.
http://www.amazon.in/LS2-FF310-Bluet...d-0000738a7e14

And finally a Camelbak Hydration bag. Keeps you hydrated. Has space for bike papers, license and wallet that's it. There is a larger capacity one as well, but did not have the money to spend.
http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...ion-pack/black

With all this did not get the right pants. I strongly feel get good riding pants. Do not get the exterior armour. I seriously doubt if it even will stay in the right place in an impact. So all in all. I feel i can ride through a zombie apocalypse if nothing else. Garth Ennis would be proud of me. I got too much stuff. I think i could have been patient and got only things that i needed. More research is always better. Also have you checked bikegear.in. Their pricing is competitive. Also check http://www.ultimatespares.com/. Speak to Tushar there, he might be able to set you up with good stuff.

Hope this helps in making better choices than me

Ride safe baba.

Regards
Rahul

Last edited by Odeen12 : 16th May 2015 at 08:22.
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 15:08   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Hey Sojogator,
Hope all good and super with you.
Hope this helps in making better choices than me

Ride safe baba.

Regards
Rahul
Yes. All good and flying ! Hope you too are burbling around .

Quite a list you got there
Guess you have something for every occasion now, like your wifey !!!
Now I know whom to contact to get seconds too.

Well, I do the googling bit before I buy and drive myself nuts.
Right now,

I got :

1 mesh jacket with liners
1 textile waterproof jacket
1 pair of riding jean
1 helmet
1 short cuffed leather glove
1 Boots - on the way - not very discrete in the end ! - bikegear.in and knocking on wood with crossed fingers
1 mesh riding pants - on the way
3 knee length sweat wicking, padded Nike socks

I have decided to stop the incessant visits to Revzilla and refrain from leaning down my wallet further. Anyways, liquid gold prices will take care of that !
Old 18th May 2015, 07:34   #2337
Distinguished - BHPian

Riding Gear in Doha

The middle east isnt known to be a bikers paradise but for those of you who are in Doha and want to get yourselves riding gear should visit the Kawasaki showroom in Al Wakra. They have a good range of Dainese jackets, full suits, armoured pants, helmets (wide range of AGV, Nolan, X Lite and some GREX and ICONs) and other bike accessories. I must say the X Lite helmets really do live up to their name. If I hadnt picked up the Nolan N86 from Cochin recently, I wouldve bought an X Lite or an AGV helmet from here. They are flexible on pricing as well. My wife got the price of her AGV K3 knocked down from the listed price earlier and when we went recently they offered a flat 15% discount on any riding gear. Nice friendly folks as well. Outside of their active FB page, it was difficult to find information on the internet on buying riding gear in Qatar, so hope this helps others looking out for helmets / gear.

The Riding Gear thread-gear-2.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-gear1.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-gear3.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-helmet.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-helmet2.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-helmet3.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-helmet4.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-helmet5.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-helmet7.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-p5167214-medium.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 07:42   #2338
BHPian

Re: Riding Gear in Doha

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The middle east isnt known to be a bikers paradise but for those of you who are in Doha and want to get yourselves riding gear should visit the Kawasaki showroom in Al Wakra. They have a good range of Dainese jackets, full suits, armoured pants, helmets (wide range of AGV, Nolan, X Lite and some GREX and ICONs) and other bike accessories. I must say the X Lite helmets really do live up to their name. If I hadnt picked up the Nolan N86 from Cochin recently, I wouldve bought an X Lite or an AGV helmet from here. They are flexible on pricing as well. My wife got the price of her AGV K3 knocked down from the listed price earlier and when we went recently they offered a flat 15% discount on any riding gear. Nice friendly folks as well. Outside of their active FB page, it was difficult to find information on the internet on buying riding gear in Qatar, so hope this helps others looking out for helmets / gear.
Never knew there can be discounts in Dianese gears as well

Is there a price difference? I mean riding gears and helmets are actually cheaper or costlier than it is in India?
Old 18th May 2015, 13:44   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Riding Gear in Doha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
Never knew there can be discounts in Dianese gears as well

Is there a price difference? I mean riding gears and helmets are actually cheaper or costlier than it is in India?
They are sitting on a lot of inventory (both bikes and gear) so I wasnt surprised that they were giving discounts. I havent visited the Dainese store in Bangalore yet so I dont know about the pricing on jackets / full piece suits. The AGV K3s post discount at the store were almost at revzilla prices and hence much below the quoted price in Bangalore. I reached there and realized I had only carried the fixed zoom lens for my camera so I couldnt take more pictures that the showroom deserved.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 21:11   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Guys, was recently looking for a riding jacket but faced two major roadblocks. First, they are pricey and my budget kinda tops at 5k (may be another 1k but that even would be a stretch).
And secondly and more important issue is to find a plus sized one in that budget. Only jackets that I have seen which comes in XXL/XXXL size are from DSG. I initially thought of SPG Icarus but they don't come in my size (they tops at XL). I can see that DSG Nero or Triton have sizes in plus sizes. Are there any other options in that range?

Most Viewed