Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 09:31   #2551
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

The Dainese Drake air has small mesh openings just below the knee , I mostly ride in the hills of Kerala , and during peak summer it was not bad .
I don't ride in heavy traffic and my judgement is reserved .
But the protection , quality etc will be far better than A* stricker pants .

Last edited by slalom : 12th August 2015 at 09:31. Reason: typo
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 20:24   #2552
BHPian

If you are looking for quality mesh pants from a reputed brand at a decent cost, I will strongly suggest the Rev't Airwaves for 13K. Comes with adjustable knox armour, copious amount of mesh and excellent build quality.

They are available from highnoteperformance in delhi and also sell from their online store.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 21:40   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Has any one used Dainese riding pants?
Any info on the price range would help me in deciding between alpinestar sticker pants or go for the Dainese.
Alpinestar sticker pants cost approx 11k.

Does Dainese at Orion Mall, bangalore has some stock of the pants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I have the Dainese Drake air pants , I believe it sells for 19k ,I got from IBW at a discount for 13k .
The Dainese has a knee cum shin armour ,the A* has only a knee armour .
I have the Dainese New Drake Air pants too. Got it from US for around 17K.
It has a zipper on the knee which you can open for more air flow. Build quality and fit is good. Since its European, fit is on the slimmer side I think.

I think in India Dainese even from the their store in Banglore comes out really expensive. If I would have been buying in India, I might go with A* from planetDSG. But this is only for price.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 22:21   #2554
BHPian

The Dainese New Drake air pants has the zipper on the knee , mine is the older version with just mesh below the knees.

Last edited by slalom : 12th August 2015 at 22:25.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:13   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Of late, the traffic blocks on Bangalore ORR have been multiplied and many a days, the stretch from Agara to Doddanakundi is just a big traffic jam, inter spaced with few meters of open stretch. Yesterday was such a day and by the time I reached office after a commute of about 90 minutes under scorching sun, I was almost cooked in my Jacket (FirstGear Kilimanjaro). I have been using this jacket for almost 8 years now and the jacket have transformed from a warm cocoon to a baking oven, thanks to the climate changes - though I love the comfort of the jacket, and was braving the heat for all these years, something snapped in me and I wanted to buy a mesh jacket - yesterday itself.

An impulsive buy means I do not have the luxury of going through a detailed pre-purchase review process and may have to chuck out some brands due to non availability in shops. Luckily, that is where I was able to leverage the benefit of being a part of the Team-BHP family and since I do keep visiting this thread once in a while, I was generally aware of the options available. Few messages to my riding buddies and the choices were between ADV Breed (in house brand of Let's Gear Up) and Aspida Helios, but zeroed in on ADV Breed.

Dropped in at LGU on the way back and tried ADV Breed and Rynox Tornado Pro but felt that ADV Breed offered a better deal at just 1K more (Sas-Tec CE Level 2 rated protectors all around, better mesh and more armor area coverage) so picked it up.

The Initial Impressions:

The jacket seems to be well made, and have enough adjustments to make sure you have a proper fit. I had a hard time adjusting the cuff (it was too think for my gloves to go over) but later realized that if I use just the straps to fasten the cuff, it will be much compact (than zipping it up first and then using the strap for tightening - this will work well for short gloves though).

The jacket comes with two additional liners - a full length internal warm insulation liner for the cold days, and a over the jacket rain liner for those rains. The jacket have a very useful pocket on the outside where you can store the rain liner - very nifty.

The fit is on the snug side and though the jacket do not have storage space like my First Gear, it have adequate pockets for daily ride. Another nifty feature is that the jacket have a see through internal pocket in which you can keep the vital info (Blood group, person to contact etc).

The armor feels solid and soft at the same time, and felt comfortable while wearing.

A detailed review will be up after putting the jacket though its paces in Bangalore traffic.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 10:19   #2556

Hey guys,

I was looking at the two touring piece suit by Biking Brotherhood (Chennai), at Rs 15000/- for a two piece suit it comes with CE rated armours for elbows, shoulders, back, thighs and knees. They also offer customization in colours or design.

The primary purpose is for touring. Has anyone tried them out? Any idea about the quality of their products? And, do they offer any after sales service incase of defects/measurement errors?

Also what are the other options in the budget of Rs 15000 (for riding jacket and pants)

*Since it will be a one time buy for me I am evaluating all the options because somehow feel that there must be some difference in brands like Spartan/DSG/Zeus/Rynox and a custom maker like BBG. I may be wrong here.*

Please guide. Thanks in advance.
Old 25th August 2015, 15:19   #2557
BHPian

Was looking for riding pants recently since the kneed guards used to get quite uncomfortable during long rides. DSG Nero which had some good reviews sadly was out of production since DSG was planning to introduce a new one. Finally they have come up with DSG Genesis riding pants. It was not updated on their website. Came to know when bhpian friend went to the Juhu DSG shop.

Took the M size which fits perfectly. The material is the usual 600D polyester with thick foam removable knee gaurds. It has a foam thigh pad also. It is "claimed" to be completely waterproof hence comes with only single thermal liner. There was a short spell of torrential rains during my last ride and thankfully did not find any water seeping into. It did feel a bit cold at the bottom since the seat was wet with rain . Maybe wearing short pants under them could help, not sure though. It cost 6k and as compared to RE and Cramster this one is definitely worth the money.

Will put up detailed pictures soon.
Old 26th August 2015, 01:02   #2558

Hey guys !

Am in Delhi for a day. Need to buy my 1st riding jacket. I'm a bit heavier in built. What all places can I check tomorrow ? Karol Bagh i believe, have some dealers. Also looking for knee guards & gloves for safety. Kindly suggest .

Looking for something genuinely budget friendly
1st solo ride next week

TIA

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots like.... this.....

Last edited by ampere : 26th August 2015 at 07:16. Reason: Formatted Post
Old 26th August 2015, 07:46   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagpal89 View Post
Hey guys !

Am in Delhi for a day. Need to buy my 1st riding jacket. I'm a bit heavier in built. What all places can I check tomorrow ? Karol Bagh i believe, have some dealers. Also looking for knee guards & gloves for safety. Kindly suggest .

Looking for something genuinely budget friendly
1st solo ride next week

TIA

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots like.... this.....
You can try Chopra Automobiles in Karol Bagh.

1701, Arya Samaj Rd, Block 26I, Nai Walan, Karol Bagh, New Delhi, Delhi 110005

There is LS2 showroom just next to Chopra Automobiles, they also keep riding gear

Also about 3-5 kms from Karol Bagh there is another shop in Patel Nagar

Moto Madness
1/1 W Patel Nagar,, Near Metro Pillar No.209,, New Delhi, Delhi 110008
011 4567 1444

Old 26th August 2015, 10:23   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmitJobs View Post
Hey guys,

I was looking at the two touring piece suit by Biking Brotherhood (Chennai), at Rs 15000/- for a two piece suit it comes with CE rated armours for elbows, shoulders, back, thighs and knees. They also offer customization in colours or design.
A friend of mine has been using the BB 2 piece suit since quite a while, happy with it. Another friend has been using the 1 piece suit, has had a number of crashes in it, no problems.

It might sound like there'll be difference between people like BB or other more established brands like Spartan etc., but everything comes from either Pakistan or China, so I don't really think there'll be too much of change. Do keep in mind that BB fit and finish will NOT be at par with some of the more costlier brands. It'll be functional, but aesthetically you'll find some flaws.

I hope you realize that this suit will be unwearable in rain, and a bit uncomfortable in summer. Protection wise it'll certainly be better than textile or mesh stuff.

Let's Gear Up bangalore also make 2 piece suits, but they are much costlier, at about 35,000 bucks. In 15,000, I don't think you have much of other options, unless you are willing to go back to textile/mesh jackets and pants, in which case you can try Spartan Proteus/AGV sport solare for pants, and Let's Gear Up ADV/Spartan helios for jacket.
Old 26th August 2015, 11:39   #2561

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
You can try Chopra Automobiles in Karol Bagh.

1701, Arya Samaj Rd, Block 26I, Nai Walan, Karol Bagh, New Delhi, Delhi 110005

There is LS2 showroom just next to Chopra Automobiles, they also keep riding gear

Also about 3-5 kms from Karol Bagh there is another shop in Patel Nagar

Moto Madness
1/1 W Patel Nagar,, Near Metro Pillar No.209,, New Delhi, Delhi 110008
011 4567 1444

Thanks a ton mate. What are the price ranges that I would be looking at for a riding jacket that offers safety, and it also comfortable to wear in the summers.

I hope bigger sizes are available at these shops that you've mentioned. I should be there in Karol Bagh in a few hours to check them out, and hopefully buy one today.

TIA
Old 26th August 2015, 12:59   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagpal89 View Post
Thanks a ton mate. What are the price ranges that I would be looking at for a riding jacket that offers safety, and it also comfortable to wear in the summers.
Mate you can buy a mesh jacket as it is the most comfortable for a tropical country like ours. There are various brands you can look at in Mesh Jackets like Cramster Breezer, DSG EVO(around 5 to 5.5K note that you will need to upgrade the back protector of DSG EVO to CE level 1 as the back protector that comes as default in that jacket is just a piece of foam), Spartan Helios (around 7.8K), Rjays Swift(around 7K). Apart from these there are also some reputed international brands like Dainese, Alpinestars, RST, Joe Rocket, etc. The riding jackets from these brands starts from 10-15K minimum and goes upwards.

Apart from this you can either buy a mesh riding pant or knee guards although the riding pant offers more protection in case of a road rash. You can buy riding pant from the same brands as mentioned above for more or less the same price as the riding jacket. If you plan to go for knee guards then you have options like Cramster bionic kneeguards, dainese, alpinestars, ICON, etc. Make sure these armours fit well and are comfortable enough.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 18:13   #2563
BHPian

What are the options available for communication devices, specially between lead and tail rider? I suppose the bluetooth ones from scala/sena work on calling basis?
Old 4th September 2015, 18:43   #2564
BHPian

I was on the lookout for an entry-level jacket and gloves a couple of weeks ago. Checked out offerings from LS2, Spartan and DSG. Ended up buying DSG Evo jacket and DSG Moto Mesh gloves from the brand store in Juhu. The jacket is comfortable and the build quality is good for the price (5k). The gloves lack a bit in terms of quality but again decent for the price (1k). Used the jacket with the rain liner and happy to report that it worked perfectly. The T-Shirt remained completely dry. The gloves also dry up pretty fast once you ride in no rains.

Overall, happy with the purchase and can recommend these products to anyone on the lookout for basic gear.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 19:27   #2565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
What are the options available for communication devices, specially between lead and tail rider? I suppose the bluetooth ones from scala/sena work on calling basis?
Do check this thread

Most Viewed