Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 16:37   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
A couple of prominent riding groups from Pune including mine have got our leather suits made from BBG, Chennai. My group has made 2-pc suits. The quality is ok, nothing great to write home about. Some people liked them, some did not. There were sizing issues with the pants for most of us but these were rectified by them. Only thing going in their favour is the price. Its half of what one has to pay for an Astar or a Dianese.
No harm in buying a set till you save enough dough to buy a branded one.
Thanks for confirming Aman.

The problem I have found, from personal experience, when you try to save a bit and buy a compromise, either in riding gear or tyres for instance (personal example in my Baleno's current Chinese set - since it ceased to be my primary car once the Storme came), usually within the first couple of rides/drives you realize (comparing to the previous top branded quality pricey stuff - Bridgestone Potenzas in my Baleno's case) that you have screwed up big time.

But by then you have already spent a significant amount of money on the compromise stuff. Not as much as the pricey stuff, but definitely enough to not allow you to throw it away and now again revert to the pricey stuff. And since neither gear nor tyres are quick consumed articles, you have potentially a white elephant on your hands.

Hope that adds some value to the discussion.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th November 2015 at 16:39.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 23:09   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

The problem I have found, from personal experience, when you try to save a bit and buy a compromise, either in riding gear or tyres for instance (personal example in my Baleno's current Chinese set - since it ceased to be my primary car once the Storme came), usually within the first couple of rides/drives you realize (comparing to the previous top branded quality pricey stuff - Bridgestone Potenzas in my Baleno's case) that you have screwed up big time.

But by then you have already spent a significant amount of money on the compromise stuff. Not as much as the pricey stuff, but definitely enough to not allow you to throw it away and now again revert to the pricey stuff. And since neither gear nor tyres are quick consumed articles, you have potentially a white elephant on your hands.

True Doc. Totally Agree with this. Would like to share my experience. Personally I gave preference to good quality riding gears. People at home say I am mad. But I understand the importance of riding gears and they don't. Wanted to buy a R3. But after the price was revealed and due to lack of ABS I thought it would be wise to get a CBR250R ABS and spend the rest on proper riding gears. I was doing some reading for a few months now about protection, armors, CE rating, different brands, sizing, mesh/tex/leather, reviews/feedback and a lot more about riding gears in various forums both Indian and International. I zeroed in on what my needs were and what exactly I would require during touring. Been reading reviews about DSG, Cramster, Spartan, TBG and other Indian brands. Mixed reviews about these and good reviews about few as well. I am from Chennai and not much of good riding gear stores here except Spartan, Moto101 and Motogear. I went to these shops and checked out stuff and got myself a Spartan Jacket and MT Blade helmet for daily ride to office. I decided I would get Dainese head to toe for my touring needs. So went to Bangalore just to get riding gears. I tried Dainese stuff in the zstore in Orion mall. Got a few there. Other stuff I got from Revzilla, MotoIn and FC Moto through colleague returning from US and also through International shipping. I got myself the below. A lot would say I am paranoid or crazy though but I would say I have peace of mind now :-)

1. Dainese Super Speed Textile Jacket
2. Dainese Manis D1 Back/Spine protector
3. Dainese Chest pad to go along with the jacket
4. Dainese Carbon GTX X-Trafit gloves
5. Frocefield action pro shorts
6. Dainese Knee V1 EN Guards
7. Dainese Drake Super Air Pants
8. Dainese Air Frazer Tex/Leather pants
9. Dainese Torque RS Out Air riding boots
10. AGV K3 SV Five Continents Helmet

The Air Frazer pants has mix of textile/mesh and leather in the impact regions plus sliders. The jacket has textile and some mesh to allow air flow. Since I am from Chennai where (needless to say) it is mostly hot, I would ride with these initially for a year or so and will get a good leather jacket and leather riding pant based on some good deals online after that. Patient reading of reviews and being a watch dog for deals across different online shopping sites led to acquire all the above in 2-3 months time. Unfortunately, due to very heavy rains and sever water logging across Chennai for past 2 weeks I could not go out riding. Wish to do that soon and get accustomed to riding with all gears.
whencut86 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 09:37   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Hey Doc,
Here have a look at their Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...erhood%20gears

Have a look. If i am not wrong there is some motorcycling event happening in Pune next week or this week. BBG will be there. If you have the time you could probably meet them there.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 28th November 2015, 19:12   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi I bought the Icarus and used it on trip from Chennai to Trichy and back. I used the jacket with the rain liner. I wore on top of my denim full sleeved shirt. When I left Trichy at 6.30 in the morning the jacket+denim shirt was not warm enough for me. So if you are planning to use it in Leh, then you may have to use some good winter wear too. The elbow guards were in the right place through out the journey. But the right shoulder guard was sliding a little to back. Otherwise the fit and finish seem to be good.
I made a couple of long distance trips using the Icarus and the shoulder and elbow armours had slipped out of place and they were not offering the required protection. I was feeling insecure wearing them. On my way back from my Pondicherry trip I dropped into their OMR shop from where I bought it. Being a Sunday only one sales person was there and he agreed that the armour is not in the right place but when he contacted his immediate superior and the response was not good and he said nothing can be done. I just told them that I don't want to wear a jacket that does not offer protection and just left it there. Told them to either replace it with a proper one or just keep it and I will buy something better from some other brand. I got hold of their senior most person's number and left a message giving the details but I was expecting no response. But I got a response and after a few more messages going back and forth he said they will try to rectify it and if not possible replace it. After a couple of weeks I got phone call that it could not be repaired and I can come and a take a replacement. I went there a month back and tried various models and decided to buy something with better protection than the Icarus and decided to settle for the Hyperion which is a combination of mesh and perforated leather at shoulders and elbows and Knox soft armour.

My friend also had come to try out the jackets and he also settled for the same. But we had to try different pieces to ensure that the armour sits well. Funnily in the medium size the armours were located lower than my elbows and behind the shoulder, but when I tried the L size it fitted perfectly, like a glove, and chose it. It cost me almost Rs 11,000 and I had to pay the difference which I didn't mind since the jacket felt much more secure than the previous one. I wore it on my trip to Yelagiri and I was happy with it.

Happened to meet the owner there and he is an avid rider himself who has clocked 40K Kms in a year and he wears Spartan gear all the time. It was good to know that a rider is behind business and that gives a better comfort level.

I have attached a few photos. It is my son who is wearing it and he is much thinner than me and that is why it seems to be a little baggy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-dscn1080.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1081.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1084.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1085.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1086.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1088.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1089.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1091.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1093.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-dscn1095.jpg  

arulpeem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 23:54   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
While a mesh / textile upper is fine, you definitely need a leather palm to provide real protection in case you come off your bike. 80 odd kph on 2 wheels is pretty fast, nothing to scoff at

A 100 Rs increment in your budget gets you this:

http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=2&typ=8&sc=1

Cramster flux is another decent option for around 1700, but not sure of breathability as its all leather

I am very sure you do not mind a 100 rupee increase in your damage to wallet. As I recollect, your philosophy on buying a cycle is "the best you can afford, and then go a level higher" So I know for a fact that you will not scoff at sepending another 100 Rs to provide "real" protection

IMO, do not look beyond either Flux or Phaeton. Try them on and see what works best for you

All the best
Just to update everyone - I do not recommend the Aspida Phaeton to any north Indian for sure.
The Riding Gear thread-51e34720140331045123.372.jpg
I bought the Aspida Phaeton from Spartan Pro Gear's HQ in Chennai in Dec 2014. Its a beautiful textile / leather glove. But terribly flawed in two aspects.

a. The area between the thumb and the index finger is fairly narrow. There is an additional layer of material for safety which is quite rigid. What that does does is restrict your movement - so something as simple as pressing the horn, requires moving your hand, causing unnecessary trouble on painful city rides.
b. The glove is NOT cold weather proof. Last Sunday on a ride from Alwar (~15C, but probably felt 10C lower due to wind chill), my hands were simply freezing. Instead on a Rs 250 cheap karol bagh gloves, my hands were much warmer even though their construction is more flimsy. Don't ask me why.

Taken together, I'm not happy with the value for my Rs 2100. I would need to buy a second cold weather glove, defeating the whole purpose of a fancy all weather rideable glove.

I'm now looking for an inner glove, kinda like thin silk (if there is such a thing) or the cheap surgical plastic gloves, to wear inside the Aspida on an upcoming 1500km himalayan ride. Any ideas? Else I may just end up springing another 1000-2000 bucks on a leather touring glove that's specifically for winter riding. Suggestions?
Old 8th December 2015, 23:51   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just to update everyone - I do not recommend the Aspida Phaeton to any north Indian for sure.

Taken together, I'm not happy with the value for my Rs 2100. I would need to buy a second cold weather glove, defeating the whole purpose of a fancy all weather rideable glove.

I'm now looking for an inner glove, kinda like thin silk (if there is such a thing) or the cheap surgical plastic gloves, to wear inside the Aspida on an upcoming 1500km himalayan ride. Any ideas? Else I may just end up springing another 1000-2000 bucks on a leather touring glove that's specifically for winter riding. Suggestions?
Hey Phamilyman. How long have you had this glove for? I am sure you are aware that leather gloves do have a break in period, and it would differ from one manufacturer to another. My Dainese gloves for example had a prolonged and painful (bruises on knuckles) break in. But its like second skin now and much more comfortable

And the gloves you have bought are for summer usage. Why would they work in winter? You wouldnt curse that your cotton shirt does not keep you warm in winters and you have to invest in additional clothing, would you?

I am yet to come across an all weather glove. But yes, I too wear silk liners underneath my gloves (you should find them at decathlon) during winters and it works out just fine

Another point whilst choosing gloves - Check for motion panels. My DSG Primals have none. Dainese piston has them on the top part of the hand, nothing on fingers. My Rev'it gloves (I am a bit of a gear hoarder) are just amazing!!! Individual motion panels on fingers and the top of hand. The BIG carbon fibre knuckle guard sits on its own panel and does not even feel like its there. These are full gauntlets and I bought them for track use. but they are so comfortable that I reach for them more often than any other gloves, including the short cuff Dainese

Hope it works out for you. Cheers!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 8th December 2015 at 23:53.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:35   #2662
BHPian

I am thinking of asking my friend to get me some gear from US. My question is, are riding gear exempt from customs at airport or do they have to be declared?
Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I have never traveled out of the country and have absolutely no idea about it.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:47   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I am thinking of asking my friend to get me some gear from US. My question is, are riding gear exempt from customs at airport or do they have to be declared?
Not exempted; anything can be bought from US to India legally upto a value of Rs 25000 (should be more now)

Anyone on board in the flight have to declare the value of good they're bringing in & anything mentioned over this amount will attract tax. It is quite possible to cheat here, but then, that's why govt has employed customs officers for double checking & we all know how it works
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 18:14   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I have never traveled out of the country and have absolutely no idea about it.
Ask him to pack your gear in his check in baggage, preferably take off the tags. And you sir, are done!

There is hardly any gear I have bought locally, be it for myslf or my wife. Rest assured, not a penny would be charged as long as he keeps it in his baggage with the rest of his stuff
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 22:15   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not exempted; anything can be bought from US to India legally upto a value of Rs 25000 (should be more now)
Quote:
Ask him to pack your gear in his check in baggage, preferably take off the tags. And you sir, are done!
Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting jacket and pants. In case he gets caught at the customs, will he face any penalty/punishment or can he get away by paying duty? He has traveled internationally for the first time. So he'll be a bit nervous

Last edited by theredliner : 16th December 2015 at 22:36.
Old 16th December 2015, 22:43   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting jacket and pants. In case he gets caught at the customs, will he face any penalty/punishment? He has traveled internationally for the first time. So he'll be a bit nervous
Not a worry as long as he is not flashing it separately and simply packs it in with the rest of the clothing.

If this helps. Thus far me, my wonderful friends and relatives have carried:

4 pairs of motorcycle boots
A one piece leather race suit
3 pairs of gloves
2 jackets
Pants
2 full face helmets
2 pairs elbow guards
2 pairs knee guards
Replacement armour for jacket (CE back pad) and pants (CE hip and knee armour)

Jeez, I really need to stop ordering gear
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 23:18   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Not a worry as long as he is not flashing it separately and simply packs it in with the rest of the clothing.

If this helps. Thus far me, my wonderful friends and relatives have carried:
Well, that looks really easy. Still, I'm worried about this
Quote:
In case he gets caught at the customs, will he face any penalty/punishment or can he get away by paying duty?
as I don't want him to be in trouble because of me. Could you please answer this?
Old 17th December 2015, 00:03   #2668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case he gets caught at the customs, will he face any penalty/punishment or can he get away by paying duty?
All he will be asked is to pay the duty; remember, it is NOT ILLEGAL goods that he's bringing in the country to face punishment. If he denies to pay the duty, it will be detained by the customs that's all & remember this can happen even with a bar of snickers also. Next day you could go to the airport along with your friend, find the goods, pay the tax & take it or you can simply forgo your goods.

In reality there're only 2 things that can happen...
1. Nothing happens, your friend brings the consignment
2. Customs asks him to pay a ridiculous amount of tax; if your friend or you are able to "negotiate" (pls don't ask me what & how) you can bring down the ridiculous to reality, cough up & get the gears
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 09:20   #2669
BHPian

Hello everyone,
Can someone please tell me where can I find good riding gear(helmet,gloves,jacket etc) in Hyderabad?
What are some of the good,reliable and trusted brands for jackets and gloves?
Is there a difference in the level of protection offered by leather jackets and textile jackets?
Old 18th December 2015, 17:30   #2670

Hi guys - I've tried searching this forum for reviews, but since I haven't found (at least I think me search was correct), I'm posting on this thread. Can anyone here please put up a review or link to the review of TBG's 1 piece race suit? I tried Google & YouTube, but never did find any reviews about this suit. Thanks in advance.!
Again, sorry if this is a repost, but i did try to search using the key word "TBG" & nothing came up apart from one guy's 1 liner comment, who also has never personally owned it. Hence this post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks