Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2016, 06:51   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
They are getting new stock of the model which costs 55K by the end of March and the 35K one in a months time. BTW do you happen to know the exact model name of the 35K one piece suit? The PRS facebook page calls it the Phantom but they say the Phantom is actually the 55K one, confusing!
Have seen a model called Podium for 36K, but can't confirm since there seems to be some issue in accessing their website. Never thought search would take some much effort
Old 10th March 2016, 14:35   #2747
BHPian

There was AGV Bullet one piece suit for 36k, but I think that was an end-of-life model and to be replaced with a similar cheap/budget suit.
Old 14th March 2016, 13:00   #2748
BHPian

Although priced a tad on the higher side, went ahead and bought a pair of Dainese Air Frazer pants.

Loved the fact that it has leather at all probable impact areas, and otherwise has a healthy dose of mesh to combat tropical weather.

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457940550.466977.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457940570.143353.jpg
dreamseller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:49   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Got my Aspida Nemesis Grey and wife's Aspida Venus today. Pricing was INR 6K and 6.7K respectively. First is really value for money with majorly mesh and cordura, button adjustable sleeves and rain as well as thermal inner liners making it an all-weather jacket.

Venus is not really worth it while compared against Nemesis, but the only one I could find for the fairer gender.

Being a SPG loyal customer ever since I bought my Kranos, DJ gave Half a grand discount on the bill.

Waiting for this weekend for wearing them on a trip. Already removed all liners as the temperature is now almost 40 degrees here.

Last edited by jacs : 14th March 2016 at 21:52. Reason: additional details
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 22:28   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Got my Aspida Nemesis Grey and wife's Aspida Venus today. Pricing was INR 6K and 6.7K respectively. First is really value for money with majorly mesh and cordura, button adjustable sleeves and rain as well as thermal inner liners making it an all-weather jacket
Hey - Do get some knee guards for yourself and the Mrs, along with some boots if you haven't already

Also, seeing your wife's helmet from another thread; I would recommend an upgrade ASAP. AFAIK, that thing comes in a "free size" so definitely does not fit your wife's head snug and I really doubt the protective capabilities of it

My wife was the exact same when it came to the choice of helmets - open face only in some "exciting" color. My condition was simple - a fitted full face helmet or no getting on the bike with me

I argued that between the two of us, when it comes to motorcycling - I am the expert. Gear is there to protect her, not to make a fashion statement. She was hesitant to wear the helmet for a day or 2 but is now fully accustomed to all her gear which includes:

- An LS 2 FF386 size XS full face helmet
- An A-stars mesh jacket with an upgraded Level 2 back protector
- TCX X square boots
- Firstgear Mojave gloves
- Dainese knee guards

I told her that i would be getting her a mesh pant next and surprise surprise; not a word of protest

Old 14th March 2016, 22:43   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Although priced a tad on the higher side, went ahead and bought..
Loved the fact that it has leather at all probable impact areas, and otherwise has a healthy dose of mesh to combat tropical weather. ....
Those are awesome! What's the price? And from where did you get that?

Saw this the other day and realised fully how important it is to have proper gear for the ladies who rule the pillion seat..

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th March 2016 at 23:08. Reason: Merging Back to Back posts
Old 14th March 2016, 23:10   #2752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Being a SPG loyal customer ever since I bought my Kranos, DJ gave Half a grand discount on the bill.

Waiting for this weekend for wearing them on a trip. Already removed all liners as the temperature is now almost 40 degrees here.
Good to see you investing in proper gear for both you and your wife. As Urban_Nomad suggested, please think about convincing your wife about a full face helmet (easier said than done, I know!). My wife was very keen on open face helmets and came close to picking up a Caberg open face one but somehow managed to convince her not to. Now shes happy with her AGV K3.

DJ does end up working out a good price in the end, that way they ensure customers keep coming back. Is it 40 already? I have a trip lined up in April and cant imagine what it will be like then.
Old 15th March 2016, 14:38   #2753
Distinguished - BHPian

Since Many days, I was searching for a helmet for my 2.5 year old daughter.
These days, Instances of taking her to my in-laws house located 5 Kms away from my house on our scooter have increased.
I couldn't get a good one in JC road too. I Was continuously asking one of my friends to get one.
He is a co-owner of one of the stores near Halasuru Lake which deal with motorcycle and riding related products.
Finally last week, he messaged me that 5 kids helmets have arrived and asked me to pick it up at the earliest as he told that Kids helmet are in demand.
So, last Saturday I went to his store and picked up a Studds half face helmet for my daughter.
The size is 540mm(head circumference) and weighs around 850gms
There was one in black and one in silver but I preferred Black. It costed me 850/- Rs

The Riding Gear thread-img20160312wa0017.jpg

There were 3 full face helmets at 950/- Rs each, but I felt it was too heavy for her right now.

The Riding Gear thread-img20160312wa0019.jpg
Full face helmets were available in Black, White and PINK!!!

Also, I did not have a rider's jacket with me. I do not ride much (you can say I do not ride at all). But recently I take a Vespa to office once a week. It includes riding on the NECE road for 15-20Kms and every time I do that, I feel the need for one.

Since I was in the store, I decided to buy one. I asked for the simplest of Jackets and they showed me one from a brand called Mototech.
I didn't have much expectations, nor did I want to spend too much. This fit perfectly to that 'Basic' parameter.
I tried a couple of sizes and L was perfect on me.
It costed me 5750/- Rs
It has two pockets on the torso and one on each sleeve.
It has protective caps on the shoulder and the elbow. A padding on the back completes its safety kit.
There is also a woolen inner coat for winters and a rain kit
Some pictures taken from Mototech website.

The Riding Gear thread-mt0011_gh_extra1.jpg
MotoTech - Contour Air Riding Jacket Black With Hurricane Rain Jacket

The Riding Gear thread-img_08021.jpg
Rain kit

I've only used it one day till now and based on that below are some positives and negatives

+ Good fit
+ All Basic safety items present
+ Light weight
+ Good ventilation

- The inner coat cannot be attached with a zip...its a separate piece
- Suede material is a huge dust magnet
- Not actually cheap
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 16:17   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
He is a co-owner of one of the stores near Halasuru Lake which deal with motorcycle and riding related products.
The size is 540mm(head circumference) and weighs around 850gms
There was one in black and one in silver but I preferred Black. It costed me 850/- Rs

There were 3 full face helmets at 950/- Rs each, but I felt it was too heavy for her right now...

[
Hi hemanth.anand,
can you please pm me his number. Was looking for a similar dimension helmet for long time.

Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 09:40   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Hey - Do get some knee guards for yourself and the Mrs, along with some boots if you haven't already

Also, seeing your wife's helmet from another thread; I would recommend an upgrade ASAP. AFAIK, that thing comes in a "free size" so definitely does not fit your wife's head snug and I really doubt the protective capabilities of it
- An LS 2 FF386 size XS full face helmet
- An A-stars mesh jacket with an upgraded Level 2 back protector
- TCX X square boots
- Firstgear Mojave gloves
- Dainese knee guards

I told her that i would be getting her a mesh pant next and surprise surprise; not a word of protest
I do have a pair of Knee Guards, however thinking of getting a Riding Jeans for myself and pass on the same to wife. Any feedback on Riding Jeans vs Wearable knee pads?

Also protective boots are yet to be bought. May be next month as my bank account sees the green light.

Need to certainly change her helmet very soon. I liked your policy but its a fight between food and bike .

Your list looks really good and more complete with the riding pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
As Urban_Nomad suggested, please think about convincing your wife about a full face helmet (easier said than done, I know!).

Is it 40 already? I have a trip lined up in April and cant imagine what it will be like then.
Yes Neil. I need to certainly get her a full face helmet. No second thought.

Its yet to touch 40 in Kochi, already touched in Palakkad. But really an extreme weather man. Summer showers are yet to happen (only few drizzles) and hence might get a tad better in April. Feb mid was the worst yet this time, may be due to humidity.

Last edited by jacs : 16th March 2016 at 09:51.
Old 16th March 2016, 10:17   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
. Any feedback on Riding Jeans vs Wearable knee pads?

Also protective boots are yet to be bought. May be next month as my bank account sees the green light.
Hi

Riding pants/denims any day over knee pads, be it bionic or otherwise. The pants are abrasion resistant cordura (some variants will have mesh panels for ventilation) and hip and knee armors and provide better all round protection as opposed to knee only guards.

For the boots, a compromise (and only a compromise) could be ankle length leather boots, there are some standard army issue ones which you could pick up online ~3k and make do before buying riding boots.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 19:05   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Those are awesome! What's the price? And from where did you get that?
Thanks. Got them from Dainese Singapore. Set me back by S$500.

Any idea how much they're retailing for, in the India store?
Old 18th March 2016, 09:25   #2758
BHPian

Recently acquired a pair of Solace Threshold riding boots.
The listing price is 7200/-, however I got a bit of a discount thanks to a friend.
A friend and I went through some research, which included TBG, dsmoto etc.
But finalised and bought this as both of us were simply impressed by it.

Here are some pics:

The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0091.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0092.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0093.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0095.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0096.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-dsc_0090.jpg

My review:

1. Build - Despite being built to a price point, the materials used are pretty good. The outside is genuine leather plus some synthetic inserts. The inner liner is Hipora breathable waterproof liner. The protectors are all TPU. Overall the build feels pretty good and at par with some costlier options. All in all: 8/10.

2. Comfort - These are surprisingly very comfortable for a riding boot! The synthetic foldable portions at the front and back work very well, and help walking and overall flexing. I could comfortable walk wearing these. The inner material is also soft and feels good. All in all: 9/10

3. Protection -
It has TPU protectors all around it. Toe slider, arc protector, shin protection, calf protector, and heel protector. Very well protected for a shoe built to a price point! All in all: 9/10

Final verdict:
The boot is very well built for something costing just 7200. Sufficient protection, waterproof, build quality is also good. And main this is absolute VFM.
Totally would recommend this.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 10:49   #2759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Recently acquired a pair of Solace Threshold riding boots.
The listing price is 7200/-, however I got a bit of a discount thanks to a friend.
A friend and I went through some research, which included TBG.
Could you please tell me where it specifically scores over the tbg since I had shortlisted them for myself...
Old 18th March 2016, 11:10   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Could you please tell me where it specifically scores over the tbg since I had shortlisted them for myself...
I'm using TBG ankle length boots for last 8 months. Used them as everyday boots with occasional 300+ km rides. Everyday duties included sitting in a room for 5-6 hours and 15 minute walks. They are comfortable once broken in. Waterproof in light to medium showers( i couldn't test in heavy rains). They looked good quality when new. The toe box is a bit narrow for my foot. Sole is too thin and it'll wear out fast. In last few months the sole got separated from the boot in multiple areas. I have stuck it back with shoe loctite. Also the stitching at the bottom of zippers has come apart last week. The one i got maybe a lemon so i can't really comment on the durability

Last edited by b16h22 : 18th March 2016 at 11:14.
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks