Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 11:25   #2761
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I'm using TBG ankle length boots for last 8 months. They are comfortable once broken in. Waterproof in light to medium showers. They looked good quality when new. The toe box is a bit narrow for my foot. Sole is too thin and it'll wear out fast. Also the stitching at the bottom of zippers has come apart last week.
Useful feedback as TBG ankle boots were in my radar being a VFM product. My usage is only weekend rides and hence hopefully they should last for couple of years.

Are they too warm for foot in KL climate? I mean while doing long rides like 300KMs as you mentioned.

Also did you try them on any serious outdoor walks? Just to understand whether I should always be carrying another comfortable footwear during my weekend tours.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:28   #2762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm using TBG ankle length boots. The one i got maybe a lemon so i can't really comment on the durability
Thanks man. I was looking at the full length boots from these guys. But am sure both these boots go through the same qc, so that leaves me wondering...

That aside have you thought of showing this to sapna at tbg, heard their customer service on qc is pretty good. Worth a shot. They have to know how their stuff is doing in the real world.

I have begun to put aside a starter riding pack for me, I do plan to head to Malaysia sometime early next year for some binge biker shopping (maybe during their new year festivities).
Old 18th March 2016, 12:27   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Recently acquired a pair of Solace Threshold riding boots.
The listing price is 7200/-, however I got a bit of a discount thanks to a friend.
A friend and I went through some research, which included TBG, dsmoto etc.
But finalised and bought this as both of us were simply impressed by it.
Are these bought from The Roadies, Rider shoppee, Pimpri (Tehalia's)?
Checked these few weeks earlier, seemed pretty good! Good buy...
Do let us know in hot weather how do you feel wearing them for long rides!

Ride safe!
Old 18th March 2016, 12:34   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Are these bought from The Roadies, Rider shoppee, Pimpri (Tehalia's)?
Checked these few weeks earlier, seemed pretty good! Good buy...
Do let us know in hot weather how do you feel wearing them for long rides!

Ride safe!
Yes, bought from Tehalia's in Pimpri. The owner is very friendly.
About the boots, They do retain heat, but I didn't feel it all that much while riding.
Once you take off the boots though you instantly feel how much heat they had retained.
On the plus side it does make them good for rain/winter wear.
Will update more after a ride on Sunday.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 13:03   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Are they too warm for foot in KL climate? I mean while doing long rides like 300KMs as you mentioned.

I find them quite bearable with a nice pair of socks. Never felt uncomfortable in long rides

Quote:
Also did you try them on any serious outdoor walks?
I have used them to walk around when i went to ponmudi a couple of times. They do tend to slip a lot on rocks and the toe hurts when you are descending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That aside have you thought of showing this to sapna at tbg, heard their customer service on qc is pretty good. Worth a shot. They have to know how their stuff is doing in the real world.
Yeah, they are a helpful bunch for sure. I'm not sure if the problems are related to my everyday usage of boots. I'll be switching to a proper pair of shin length boots in the future.
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 19:04   #2766
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used them to walk around when i went to ponmudi a couple of times. They do tend to slip a lot on rocks and the toe hurts when you are descending. Yeah, they are a helpful bunch for sure. I'm not sure if the problems are related to my everyday usage of boots. I'll be switching to a proper pair of shin length boots in the future.
Thanks for sharing b16h22, like others suggested do try to reach out to the TBG team regarding the surprising amount of wear and tear. I remember them telling me that its the perfect pair for daily usage so it does sound like you got a lemon. Do keep us posted on their feedback.

Quote:
Also did you try them on any serious outdoor walks? Just to understand whether I should always be carrying another comfortable footwear during my weekend tours.
With a good ankle length boot you wont have to even think about carrying an alternate pair of shoes with you. Ive been using the A* SMX2 since probably 2011 (dont remember for sure) and its taken a lot of abuse including a trip to the Himalayas but its still going strong. Except for the office, any time I take the bike out for a ride its been called up for duty so its really long lasting for sure. Once you get over the initial discomfort you can easily walk with it everywhere. Do check out the A* range if you are looking for ankle length boots.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 20:31   #2767
Distinguished - BHPian

Have any of the Delhi boys heard of this place called bikers zone in Gurgaon? Is it shut for good now? Is he the only guy dealing with spidi gear in the country? Is there any one else doing spidi gear?
Old 21st March 2016, 12:29   #2768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Also, seeing your wife's helmet from another thread; I would recommend an upgrade ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
As Urban_Nomad suggested, please think about convincing your wife about a full face helmet (easier said than done, I know!).
Corrected my mistake. DJ agreed to provide an exchange since the open helmet was almost unused. Bought another Kranos for wife and did a weekend ride too

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Except for the office, any time I take the bike out for a ride its been called up for duty so its really long lasting for sure. Once you get over the initial discomfort you can easily walk with it everywhere. Do check out the A* range if you are looking for ankle length boots.
Thanks Neil. Alpinestar is above my budget as of now. May be I should look at a quality Leather angled boot first?
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 15:52   #2769
BHPian

Update 1 on the Solace Threshold.

Used the boots for a long ride. Pune-Lonavla-Pune.

Review now:

1. Comfort: Yet again, a very comfortable pair of boots. Fit well, have sufficient padding from inside. Was not uncomfortable even after wearing these for nearly 4 hours straight. What's more, I even did quite a bit of off-roading, and even then it was fine. Had no issue walking all around even in loose dirt, rocks.

2. Protection: I did scrape the toe slider on a couple of curves, and did not feel much on the inside except noticing that the toe slider touching the road.

All in all, very happy with the purchase. Very much value for money.
Old 21st March 2016, 16:36   #2770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
All in all, very happy with the purchase. Very much value for money.
This is great with respect to the current temperatures! If you could bear the boots for 4 hours then it's remarkable. Are these waterproof boots?

In the mean time there was 50% off on selected RE merchandise (apparels) till stocks last! I picked up a pair of riding jeans with sastec knee armour for 2,000 bucks (u don't get branded jeans at this price nowadays!) This was on my wishlist for quite some time.

Now from the top:
1. Vega Axor - Clear + Mirror visors
2. Spartan Icarus Mesh jacket
3. Spartan Achilles Textile jacket (picked up from a friend who left the nation)
4. Scoyoco gloves (ditto)
5. Cramster Twister gloves
5. Icon Compound Long gloves
6. RE riding jeans with sastec knee armours
7. Joe Rocket Sonic R WP full boots
8. Army jungle boots
9. Fox raptor knee guards
10. Fox standard elbow & knee guards

All of the above was acquired within the past 2 years and with great help from this forum! My aim is to buy what I can wear daily. From the above list my full WP boots are the least used due to its WP nature.

Ride safe.
Old 21st March 2016, 17:05   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
This is great with respect to the current temperatures! If you could bear the boots for 4 hours then it's remarkable. Are these waterproof boots?

Ride safe.
Yes these are waterproof. Hipora liner, YKK zipper.
And yeah, even I was surprised. I wore them straight from 6am to about 11AM. Oh that's actually closer to 5 hours!

It was my first ride in those boots, so it was a great experience for me.
Old 25th March 2016, 10:47   #2772
BHPian

Hey guys!

Planning a Delhi-Goa ride in April. I love to ride relaxed and calm, hence comfortable riding gear becomes essential. Need advise on gloves.

What's your take on Rynox Kombat leather gloves?
Old 25th March 2016, 11:47   #2773
BHPian

^^ head to riderzone.in he's reviewed a few gloves. He's a fellow bhpian who does serious amount of long rides..there's mention of his long term reviews of tgp gloves etc. Take a look-see
Old 25th March 2016, 12:15   #2774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Hey guys!

Planning a Delhi-Goa ride in April. I love to ride relaxed and calm, hence comfortable riding gear becomes essential. Need advise on gloves.

What's your take on Rynox Kombat leather gloves?
Not very good. Mine tore 200 km into my ride which was probably a good thing as they were terribly uncomfortable.
Old 25th March 2016, 15:57   #2775
BHPian

Any suggestions for a budget of 2.5k? No crapsters please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks