Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 08:08   #3526
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Forgot to mention, some other advantages of over rainwear are:

6. If its raining on and off on a ride, you can easily remove the rainwear and wear the jacket in a lighter form. Inner layer can be removed too i guess but more convenient removing a raincoat. On my recent ride from Pune to Goa this weekend, I wore the jacket till Kolhapur. Then it was really hot and wasn't raining either so simply removed and put it under my bunjee net.
You had me at your first point. I'll be buying some rainwear then. I'll search this thread for the same. If you have other suggestions please let me know. Thank you so much!

Last edited by Sheel : 28th October 2020 at 10:37. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 21st October 2020, 08:22   #3527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
You had me at your first point. I'll be buying some rainwear then. I'll search this thread for the same. If you have other suggestions please let me know. Thank you so much!
Hi. One point. I assumed on the other suggestions people made, Rain liners (like winter liners) sit inside the jacket not outside. Please do check if my assumption was correct. I could be wrong on this.

Secondly, I saw this really nice concept which is quite compelling. Fully customisable jacket in terms of color schemes etc and they even ship you a sample before finalising so you can check size etc in your home. Has great quality protection and the option of adding over rainwear from same brand too. If you can wait a bit longer to increase budget or just increase budget straight off this seems really nice. Few inputs. Do check the video on the product page that takes you through the whole customisation process. If you run through a sample customisation process on the website, be sure to see the changing price on top right so you know how each option is changing the MRP.

https://viaterragear.com/shop/appare...t-mesh-jacket/
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:56   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Watch out for their build up on social media (Instagram), as of now it's called "Munro" and it has some options to choose from,
- Outer rain jacket, Pro or Normal
- Puffed winter jacket, with or without hood
- Armors Level2, Sas-tec or YF Protector
- Custom colors & personalization (expected)

Launching on 18th October, I suppose!

I assume prices will be 7,990 to 9,990 introductory
They exceeded my estimate, the base price starts at 11,099/- then you can add the above options. Customization and sizing is included in the cost. This is a made to order process which sounds very interesting! This may be an industry first
They will be coming up with riding pants next.

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 11:25   #3529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi. One point. I assumed on the other suggestions people made, Rain liners (like winter liners) sit inside the jacket not outside. Please do check if my assumption was correct. I could be wrong on this.

Secondly, I saw this really nice concept which is quite compelling. Fully customisable jacket in terms of color schemes etc and they even ship you a sample before finalising so you can check size etc in your home. Has great quality protection and the option of adding over rainwear from same brand too. If you can wait a bit longer to increase budget or just increase budget straight off this seems really nice. Few inputs. Do check the video on the product page that takes you through the whole customisation process. If you run through a sample customisation process on the website, be sure to see the changing price on top right so you know how each option is changing the MRP.

This is an excellent initiative from ViaTerra but unless you watch the video in full (how many of us actually do?), you cant really figure out the actual process involved in getting the final product. When was the last time you did a checkout and placed an order on an online shopping portal without a payment

I recommended this option to a friend who was looking for a large sized jacket and he couldnt understand where to input the size. So it was not just me who found that the build process is not at all self explanatory. I wish ViaTerra updates the site to show the timelines involved and the actual steps in a flowchart to make it easier to understand.

One point that I do remember discussing with a gentleman from Rynox is that when we end up buying a jacket off the shelf, we are paying for winter and rain liners that many of us dont need. These liners are built into the cost unnecessarily and they just lie around the house. Its good that Viaterra gives us the option of not selecting these liners in the first place. However the multi step Viaterra process does result in the transportation / courier charges being baked into the final cost twice! So you win some, you lose some.

The pricing does appear to be a little steep, I need to work around some options and look at what the final pricing comes to and what competition is present at that price range.

This is the first time that such an option has been made available to Indians. And the customization options are really quite good. Given the time involved in the video calls and back and forth, I think this would realistically be an option only for riders who already have a riding jacket, know what they want and are looking to buy another one. I cant see first time riding jacket buyers opting for such an expensive (relative of course to its Indian competition) offering when its going to take time to manufacture and reach your doorstep.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 12:33   #3530
BHPian

Quote:

I went through the website and it's really attractive in every sense but affordability is a problem for me. I think it's a little too steep for me and I'll buy one like it once I have a paying job.

I have found one by Vykon itself called the Navigator which sells for ₹9999 and it seems like a good fit for my requirements. I will be getting a rain cover later anyway, since, like you mentioned the liner sits on the inside.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 12:43   #3531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went through the website and it's really attractive in every sense but affordability is a problem for me. I think it's a little too steep for me and I'll buy one like it once I have a paying job.

I have found one by Vykon itself called the Navigator which sells for ₹9999 and it seems like a good fit for my requirements. I will be getting a rain cover later anyway, since, like you mentioned the liner sits on the inside.
For about 1k more the Viaterra is a slam dunk. I haven't ever heard of who Vykon is and am sure none of the other members here too. I am very wary about buying riding gear that isnt built by a company that has been tried and tested for many many years. Viaterra absolutely checks that off in my books.

I would go so far as to suggest you even wait a month to save up the extra cash and get the viaterra. Their customer support is brilliant.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:13   #3532
Team-BHP Support

@redliner: I agree with you on all fronts but I don't think the difference (once you build it out with proper protection etc) is just 1k. Might be a little more - the price difference.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:21   #3533
BHPian

Quote:

I checked out the Vykon Navigator and I am assuming you like the 'touring type' design of the same. If yes, then I'd suggest going for the Rynox Storm Evo jacket. It's a few hundred rupees cheaper than Vykon, but much more reliable, with better protection and you can find reviews everywhere on the net.

No offence to the brand Vykon but if you're going to buy riding gear, then as the others have suggested here - better to invest in the tried and tested one.
TheVaas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:48   #3534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

adwaith, I share the skepticism from other members regarding riding gear from an unknown brand. There are some more warning signs, it comes with BETAC protection for shoulders and elbows only. I have never heard of BETAC and there doesnt appear to be much on the internet regarding them. Also there is no mention of what protection is used for the front and back, it just says - removable chest and back panels for additional ventilation. None of this inspires a lot of confidence to be honest, so my suggestion is stay away.

In a similar price range, I would suggest you look at the following
1. Rynox Stealth Evo 3 (link)
2. Rynox Storm Evo (link)
3. Solace Sabre (link)
4. Solace Furious (link)
5. Royal Enfield jackets (link)

Between the top 4, my favourite is the Stealth Evo 3 from Rynox. I own a Royal Enfield Khardung La V1 jacket myself.

Being in Coonoor, you are probably better off with a textile jacket than a mesh one. When I ride towards Coonoor / Ooty, I prefer my RE touring jacket over my airy mesh ones instead.

Try and find some stores which have multiple brands under one roof so you can compare side by side.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 22:40   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
For about 1k more the Viaterra is a slam dunk. I haven't ever heard of who Vykon is and am sure none of the other members here too. I am very wary about buying riding gear that isnt built by a company that has been tried and tested for many many years. Viaterra absolutely checks that off in my books.

I would go so far as to suggest you even wait a month to save up the extra cash and get the viaterra. Their customer support is brilliant.
I don't earn a salary so a month isn't going to cut it. Moreover, with each add on it becomes considerably more expensive. I'll consider it when I'm looking for a replacement down the line. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
I checked out the Vykon Navigator and I am assuming you like the 'touring type' design of the same. If yes, then I'd suggest going for the Rynox Storm Evo jacket. It's a few hundred rupees cheaper than Vykon, but much more reliable, with better protection and you can find reviews everywhere on the net.

No offence to the brand Vykon but if you're going to buy riding gear, then as the others have suggested here - better to invest in the tried and tested one.
Since, a lot of people have suggested against going for Vykon, I'm going to listen and go look at Rynox. I've looked at the Strom Evo and it too has a rain liner which would make sense for me. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
adwaith, I share the skepticism from other members regarding riding gear from an unknown brand. There are some more warning signs, it comes with BETAC protection for shoulders and elbows only. I have never heard of BETAC and there doesnt appear to be much on the internet regarding them. Also there is no mention of what protection is used for the front and back, it just says - removable chest and back panels for additional ventilation. None of this inspires a lot of confidence to be honest, so my suggestion is stay away.

In a similar price range, I would suggest you look at the following
1. Rynox Stealth Evo 3 (link)
2. Rynox Storm Evo (link)
3. Solace Sabre (link)
4. Solace Furious (link)
5. Royal Enfield jackets (link)

Between the top 4, my favourite is the Stealth Evo 3 from Rynox. I own a Royal Enfield Khardung La V1 jacket myself.

Being in Coonoor, you are probably better off with a textile jacket than a mesh one. When I ride towards Coonoor / Ooty, I prefer my RE touring jacket over my airy mesh ones instead.

Try and find some stores which have multiple brands under one roof so you can compare side by side.
I've looked at the Stealth and I immediately liked it. I want to get it so bad and I might just buy it. Is it a textile jacket though? Also I don't really have access to a brick and mortar store. I may have to travel to Coimbatore for that and that's not going to happen anytime soon. Thanks for your suggestions, BTW!
adwaith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 09:25   #3536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've looked at the Stealth and I immediately liked it. I want to get it so bad and I might just buy it. Is it a textile jacket though? Also I don't really have access to a brick and mortar store. I may have to travel to Coimbatore for that and that's not going to happen anytime soon. Thanks for your suggestions, BTW!
Yes, it is a textile jacket and will be perfect for hill station usage. The mesh jackets are built to allow maximum airflow and in a place like Coonoor which can get very cold, using a mesh jacket may not leave you very comfortable.

I know you are quite far away from Coimbatore, but do try and buy riding gear. Not all jackets fit the same, just as not all helmets fit the same. If for some reason the jacket that you get is not a good fit, you do have the task of trying to sell it off before buying another one that fits you better. Happy hunting.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:24   #3537
BHPian

Hello Members,

I’ve recently booked CB350 (my first bike) for leisure trips and occasional long trips.
Below are the riding gear that I’ve zeroed in for my wife and me (The process is actually difficult than buying a bike )

Helmet : Scorpion Exo 490
Jacket : Held Tropic II ( S+E L1 protector and separately buying back protector)
Riding boots. : Exustar Enduro Adv/Touring boots
Gloves : Rynox Urban X

I would like to know if I’m on right track or can buy something better.

My budget for riding gear is 40-45K per head.

Thanks.

Last edited by GP19 : 28th October 2020 at 10:53. Reason: Spacing
GP19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 13:11   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Yes, it is a textile jacket and will be perfect for hill station usage. The mesh jackets are built to allow maximum airflow and in a place like Coonoor which can get very cold, using a mesh jacket may not leave you very comfortable.

I know you are quite far away from Coimbatore, but do try and buy riding gear. Not all jackets fit the same, just as not all helmets fit the same. If for some reason the jacket that you get is not a good fit, you do have the task of trying to sell it off before buying another one that fits you better. Happy hunting.
I have to get my laptop serviced too so I think a trip down to Coimbatore is warranted. I'm stuck with course work until the the 20th of November so I'll have to put it away until then.

If you're ever in Coonoor and in need of anything please let me know.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 15:05   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP19 View Post
Hello Members,

I’ve recently booked CB350 (my first bike) for leisure trips and occasional long trips.

Jacket : Held Tropic II ( S+E L1 protector and separately buying back protector)

Thanks.
Congratulations! You seem to have picked up stuff from the LABS catalogue. Held is a good brand. Fellow bhp-ian Axe77 wears Held riding gears. As you're from Mumbai you can try and buy

But I see no mention of Riding pants/jeans. I would suggest to include that also in the hunt! Pillion can start with knee guards, LABS has some good options from Leatt protectors.

Happy riding,
/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 20:35   #3540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP19 View Post
Hello Members,

Below are the riding gear that I’ve zeroed in for my wife and me (The process is actually difficult than buying a bike )

Thanks.
Those are some awesome purchase decisions /choices you've made. Scorpion is a great brand and the price to quality / safety quotient is very high. Held is fantastic too. I use their gloves, jacket and pants.

Like Surjan said, riding pants are essential. I would recommend riding pants over riding jeans - they're just more comfortable. Also, since you have a Held jacket, do consider Held riding pants. In certain model combos they can be zipped together for additional safety (plus if you ever decide to do a track day ever - never say never - in the absence of leathers, mesh jackets and pants are permitted provided they are zipped to each other.).

If you are buying from LABS (that did indeed sound straight off the LABS catalog), do make it a point to consult with Vivek who mans the store. He provides excellent advise and never tries to push the wrong product just for the sake of a sale. I trust him COMPLETELY for right advise. And that's really important when making such purchases.

I think once you're done with gear you'll probably want to consider other touring friendly stuff in the next phase. You might want to start listing some stuff based on your needs and the kind of touring you plan to do. Luggage solutions, phone mounts, bungee and similar if required, etc etc.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks