Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 13:14   #31
BANNED

Update :

The problem was finally pinpointed to the tyre itself. The tyre dealer admitted that the tyre was having some manufacturing defect.

Changed the tyre to Dunlop Zebra-Y plus by the tyre dealer itself. Paid about Rs.150 from my pocket though !

Will post more about this tyre after some more KMS since the tyre has ran only about 150 KMS.
Old 26th July 2009, 16:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Interesting that you should mention this today!

As you recall, I have the same tyre on my Shogun. Got the rim trued recently. This time I got it done from another palce and the guy (near Alka theatre, Tilak Rd) did a much better job than the previous one (in Nanapeth) who did my rear rim.

Immediately after this I noticed something very funny - the bike would go fairly straight when I left the handle but the steering started to wobble. The wobble would be more pronounced at certain speends and even more so when riding with a pillion! It was so pronounced that it made the bike feel really unsafe and unstable besides ruining the ride quality. The wobble was such that the handle would oscilate rapidly but the bike would go farily straight. Seemed to be the kind of wobble you get when a wheel is unbalanced.

Checked everything again for play - wheel bearings, fork, rim alignment.... and was baffled as everything checked out right. Finally, got really fed up wondered if its a tyre problem. So I took it to the tyre dealer and explained the problem. I was really not even sure if it was a tyre problem, and if tyres do come with such pronounced defects. Also have heard that tyres are not easily replaced in warranty.

Well, I explained the problem to the dealer who again checked the rim, bearings, etc., and readily agreed to give a replacement. I tried to convince him to give me some other tyre as I'm not at all keen on using the same model again. He said he can only give a Dunlop as a replacement for a Dunlop as he would have to send the defective tyre back to the company and would get another as replacement. I asked him to give me some other Dunlop model... maybe the Zebra, but he said its not possible simply because there is an acute shortage and he simply does not have stock of any other tyre.

Was forced to accept replacement with the same model. Well... the wobble seems to have vanished...

Got the replacement done just yesterday. Will check out the performance closely for the next few days.

Mithun, I don't understand why you had to pay Rs. 150? If the tyre was defective it has to be changed in warranty. There should be no question of you paying anything. Looks like the dealer has kinda conned you as he would get a new tyre as replacement from the company anyway.

Anyway, do let us know how you find the Zebra Y in comparision.

After this episode, I really have doubts about Dunlop's ability to produce defect free tyres. As for this particular model, would really not recommend it to anyone at all.

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th July 2009 at 16:17.
Old 26th July 2009, 23:00   #33
BHPian

Strange thing that , since I had a curious handlebar oscillation quite like you describe which arose only after changing the front tyre of my Kari to a Dunlop. I didn't notice the oscillation immediately, but couple of months later by chance as it came only when I left my hands off the bar , and then too not all the time but only sometimes . I very much suspected it was the new Dunlop but couldn't find anywhere to check wheel alignment/balance .

But it did improve the brake a lot .
Old 27th July 2009, 01:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Having ridden many bikes after owning them..i never compromise on the tyre as it provides utimate stability,whether at high speeds or when braking.
The true test of tyres was on my RD 350 and the Dunlop Rubber was awesome and provided great rides.
Old 27th July 2009, 02:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Strange thing that , since I had a curious handlebar oscillation quite like you describe which arose only after changing the front tyre of my Kari to a Dunlop. I didn't notice the oscillation immediately, but couple of months later by chance as it came only when I left my hands off the bar , and then too not all the time but only sometimes . I very much suspected it was the new Dunlop but couldn't find anywhere to check wheel alignment/balance .

But it did improve the brake a lot .
Didn't you think about getting it replaced in warranty?? How did you live with that wobble? It was simply intolerable and unsafe.

Your Kari would have alloys... so why didn't you try to get it balanced on a machine?

Strangely, in my case too, the wobble starting after a good 2 months or so! Now I'm really worried if the replacement will also start wobbling after sometime.

Lastly, which Dunlop model are you talking about?
Old 27th July 2009, 13:20   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
Mithun, I don't understand why you had to pay Rs. 150? If the tyre was defective it has to be changed in warranty. There should be no question of you paying anything. Looks like the dealer has kinda conned you as he would get a new tyre as replacement from the company anyway.
I had to pay about 10% as depreciation charge since I had used it for more that 5000 KMS. Is that fair ?

Also the Zebra-Y was about Rs.100 more costlier.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is any ground for any depreciation when you have got a defective tyre. Also, in my case I was not asked to pay anything inspite of using the tyre for 2-3 months. So I dont think this is part of the company's warranty policy. Seems to be something made up by the dealer.

Didn't know Zebra Y is more costly. Actually the contact patch seems thinner... so I don't know if that may make it more prone to punctures. Tyre life may also be lower. The build quality does not seem anywhere close to the Zapper FS which has a similar pattern (I have that on my CBZ-X).

How does the Zebra handle in comparision to your earlier ribbed tyre?
Old 27th July 2009, 18:17   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I don't think there is any ground for any depreciation when you have got a defective tyre. Also, in my case I was not asked to pay anything inspite of using the tyre for 2-3 months. So I dont think this is part of the company's warranty policy. Seems to be something made up by the dealer.

Didn't know Zebra Y is more costly. Actually the contact patch seems thinner... so I don't know if that may make it more prone to punctures. Tyre life may also be lower. The build quality does not seem anywhere close to the Zapper FS which has a similar pattern (I have that on my CBZ-X).

How does the Zebra handle in comparision to your earlier ribbed tyre?
The tyre was with me for the last 8 months. So I didn't mind paying Rs.50 !

Cannot comment on the handling at this stage because the tyre hasn't completed it's run-in period(say 300 KMS) !
Old 4th September 2009, 16:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Dude, so how do you find the tyre now? How does it compare with the ribbed one?
Old 6th September 2009, 16:35   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Dude, so how do you find the tyre now? How does it compare with the ribbed one?
It's better than the previous one in terms of wet grip, braking.

Ride quality is same.

I would recommend this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks