Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 12:50   #31
BHPian

The second one is the Diamond Bar. If you are from South Classique is the Brand to go. They definitely make sturdy crash bars. The factory outlet is in Chennai and the bar should cost you around 500Rs.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Willing to take that risk?
Yes, as evidenced by the fact that I have no crash guard on my Bullet. Based on my assessment of pros and cons of the thing. And in the way, based on similar assessments, I always wear a helmet, armored jacket and gloves, and shoes.
Each one of us has to make his own assessment of riding risks, the reason for the thread is to point out that the crash guard has very significant risks attached to its use. Folks are then free to do what they think makes the most sense for them.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:44   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Each one of us has to make his own assessment of riding risks, the reason for the thread is to point out that the crash guard has very significant risks attached to its use. Folks are then free to do what they think makes the most sense for them.
I have read thru all your posts. But fail to see any strong and justifiable risk associated with crash guards.
Except for the design, which I have pointed as well.

As a biker always willing to learn something new about riding, I request you to kindly elaborate on these risks.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Very simply, your leg can be trapped between the guard and the bike if the guard collapses or swivels around its mounting, and not allow for you and the bike to go in separate directions. Being away from the bike once you are off it leaves you in a better position to react to what is happening, if there is a decent chance of doing that. Being dragged with the bike adds a whole new set of things that you have to lucky to get out of.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:56   #35
Team-BHP Support

The leg cannot get trapped when you use a crash guard designed like
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...thread-cr2.jpg

or the straight rods.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

That is what each of us has to take his chances on, and decide based on perceived risk, this is the exact design that I dumped!
Old 21st July 2009, 14:26   #37
Team-BHP Support

Sawyer, with all due respect, You have still not justified the blanket statement you made
is to point out that the crash guard has very significant risks attached to its use

There is only one design that can trap the leg.
If you discard that ONE design and choose a good crash guard the advantage of having a crash guard overpowers all of the perceived risks.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
When you have a fall from the bike, the best thing that can happen to you is for you and the bike to part company asap, and go in different directions, so that you do not get hammered by the bike as well as the road, or get dragged to wherever it is going. Sometimes the crash guard can trap your leg and keep you attached to the bike. Staying attached to the bike is the last thing you want to happen when you go down.
People think that the crash guard protects the bike when it falls over, but in a Bullet, the impact is also taken by the handlebars and footpegs, and in many cases the guard also swivels around the attachment points. In any case, I would worry more about what would happen to me in the event of a spill, than protecting the chrome.
Finally!!! I cant even remember the number of arguments I have gotten into about this issue. Of course, I stay out of them these days, but I couldnt resist this one

I have ridden the Thunderbird for over two years without a crash guard, which some time scandalizes a lot of "bullet riders" who believe that crash guards save lives, in the absence of proper riding techniques.

I can understand having a small bar which serves as an engine guard, especially on naked bikes (like the multi-cylinder jap bikes), but not those large 'window grill frames' that are mounted on most motorcycles.

But I guess this is one of those topics which people find impossible to believe. Like using the front brakes more than your rear as a safe braking technique on tarmac.

Peace.
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Very simply, your leg can be trapped between the guard and the bike if the guard collapses or swivels around its mounting, and not allow for you and the bike to go in separate directions. Being away from the bike once you are off it leaves you in a better position to react to what is happening, if there is a decent chance of doing that. Being dragged with the bike adds a whole new set of things that you have to lucky to get out of.
Forget leg trapping in the crash bar. Without crash bar the bike could probably crush femur during the unexpected fall and it has happened to my friend. I met up with an accident 2 yrs ago in pune highway on pulsar 180. Its relatively high speed 40 kmph I fell down due to a stupid biker suddenly taking right. His handle bar locked with my bike and my bike was in the bottom scrapping heavily on concrete road. Also half of the metal removed from the crash bar. The other support is from the bar end weights of the handle. Luckily i escaped from small bruise else my knee would be torn without crash bar. Very next day i promptly replaced the crash bar.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:16   #40
BHPian

Crash guard's are kinda a little different on most bikes. But it did save my leg. From the post's ive read, people have fallen and crash guard came to the rescue. From my perspective is it actually saved my leg and no not from falling from the bike. While driving a scooter suddenly poped up in front of me for which there wasn't enough time to brake. The the whole right side front of the scooter hit my crash guard at a great impact. id guess the guy must have been driving at around 45 to 50 kmph, while i was on 30 kmph. What happened to me?
Nothing. My crash guard took the toll. It actually bent competely not even touching me. The bike was still standing i never lost control, however for the scooter guy, it actually broke and bent the whole right side front panel. i had a Passion Plus at the time. The fact remains that although it add's slight weight but it can actually save problems in case of a city accident.
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:42   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Crash guard's are kinda a little different on most bikes. But it did save my leg. From the post's ive read, people have fallen and crash guard came to the rescue. From my perspective is it actually saved my leg and no not from falling from the bike. While driving a scooter suddenly poped up in front of me for which there wasn't enough time to brake. The the whole right side front of the scooter hit my crash guard at a great impact. id guess the guy must have been driving at around 45 to 50 kmph, while i was on 30 kmph. What happened to me?
Something very similar happened to me a long time back.
A drunk driver, in a zen, on a Sunday morning with groceries and his son in the car came from the extreme left of the road into my bike, which was in the middle of the right lane.

Luckily saw him with just enough time to jump off my bike.

Smashed crash guard and a bent brake pedal.
Of course he did try to escape, but did not count on me being on my feet and very angry.
Old 25th July 2009, 14:43   #42
BANNED

A Crash Guard is a very useful part of any Indian bike both from the user's & bike's perspective. I had more than 5 crashes, and it's the crash bar + handle that has saved my bike & and also me(to some extent).

My query :

Out of these Royal Enfield Zone - Crash Bars for Royal Enfield Bullet, Electra, Machismo, Thunderbird, Standard :: Royal Enfield Zone, New Delhi, India

Which one is best ?

1.The Crash Guards Discussion Thread-ez60.jpg

2.The Crash Guards Discussion Thread-ez61.jpg

3. The Crash Guards Discussion Thread-ez62.jpg

4. The Crash Guards Discussion Thread-4.jpg
Old 31st July 2009, 11:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topedgemonk View Post
Crashed into a M800 long time back. I was on my RE std 350. Overtook a vehicle to find a M800 right in front of me, both drivers swerved. I skidded sideways and banged into the side of the M800. The car's door had a considerable dent. If it had not been for the crash guard, the first point of contact would have been my knee. There wasn't enough reaction time to jump off the bike also.
It happened while I was testing a goldie type silencer (less engine braking if you slip down a gear)
Once, my friend was riding my Suzuki Samurai, and I was sitting behind. This guy is always in a damn hurry, and prides himself on being a good rider, though I think he's plain reckless. The road we were on used to have barricades dividing the road, but since the road was due to become one-way soon, most of the barricades had been ripped out, and a few tough ones, which couldn't be pulled out of the ground remained. This guy tried to cut across the traffic to reach the opposite side of the road. A mini-lorry in front was blocking our view, so he didn't notice or remember that there is a barricade there. Made the stupid mistake of trying to overtake the lorry from the left, only to see the barricade looming large in front of us. No time to brake, only time to swerve slightly. The left side of the crashguard took the entire brunt, as we hit the barricade at around 40 kmph. Both of us, our left legs would have been shattered if we had no crashguard. We were saved by the crashguard. Of course, my friend broke his toe-nail, as the crashguard bent backwards a bit, and he hit his toe hard on it. Lessons learned...if pooling my bike, I insist on riding it. I avoid lending this particular friend my bike, and I will always use a crashguard!
Sidman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2009, 11:30   #44
Team-BHP Support

I prefer #1.

I use #3 on my bike. Was not able to get the #1.

#4 is a rear butterfly guard.
I strongly recommend against it.
Old 31st July 2009, 12:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have the first one and it saved my friend Mitch's leg in a fall in Bangladesh. However, he broke a couple of ribs, which is another story. Army uses the second one though. Lot of Bulleteers use a second crash guard on the rear wheel.
BBlost why are you against the second crash guard? That 4th variety should never be used in the front of a Bullet though. They are for light 100 cc's.

I will stick my neck out and say properly fitted crash guards save legs. Those who are against them have never had a fall from a Bullet or seen one in real life.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 31st July 2009 at 12:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks