Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 19:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

@topedgemonk- The crash guard is surely isnt put for such use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer
n the other hand, a car can tip you over by touching the guard too.
In continuation to what Sawyer said the car could have infact bend the crash guard trapping your leg in it.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 20:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That is a very good point, that is well taken. Indeed, one place where the crash guard works is in dense traffic, where it keeps traffic at some distance from your legs. On the other hand, a car can tip you over by touching the guard too.
I still maintain my position about it on the open road, and since my riding is of that kind, I threw away the guard. If I was commuting in normal Indian city traffic, I would perhaps put it back on.
Sawyer,

i think you have put the issue in perspective in your reply above

On open roads it serves no practical purpose at all. But in the slow moving traffic in our cities it does serve some useful purposes like protecting the bike if it happens to fall down from a stationary position etc

Most of the Cgs were badly designed after market ones. In India I think only bike that came with a factory built CG was the RD 350 (may be RX 100 as well) in the early and late 80s.

RD 350s CGs did infact work well because of its design and did protect the bikes especially of low speed spill and falls.

Parting company with the bike or bailing out is the best poilcy in crash what ever may be the scenario.

Take Care & ride safe

Ram
Old 20th July 2009, 20:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Also if you have a mild fall, it saves the tank from getting dented as well.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

What do you mean by Factory built Crash Guards?
Old 21st July 2009, 01:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Because putting a crash guard is cheaper than buying a full riding suit & gear, because claiming insurance for every fall is still not a norm.
short & sweet, to the point, well said sir.
Old 21st July 2009, 07:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintan15 View Post
short & sweet, to the point, well said sir.
I think there was a touch of sarcasm there as well.
Happened to notice the factory fitted guards on the FZ 16 and these seemed to be the kind that will protect the engine, without trapping the legs. The after market ones that are installed on the Bullet on the other hand, seemed to be designed to trap the legs - to my jaundiced eye at any rate!
Old 21st July 2009, 10:08   #22
BHPian

What i make of all this is, If you use your Bike in the following Places.

City / Places with Slow Moving Traffic / Off Road etc. : Crash/Engine Guard advisable
Highways / Low Traffic Areas etc : Crash/Engine Guard Optional
Old 21st July 2009, 10:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Sawyer: Yes Sarcasm is there but sadly that's the fact too.

@MumBiker: To some extent with respect to Indian Bikes, Yes.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure you understood what I meant - I do not think that anyone else will consciously put their life and limb at risk to save their bikes either.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't read the first line at all . Again as most of the people on this forum have agreed on, the crash guard does play a good role in saving the bike, but I do believe that in case of a fall nothing can help you much (to a certain extent). Depending on the nature of fall, the crash guard might be a boon some time or bane.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:46   #25
BHPian

My 2 cents always would be to opt for a crash guard. And that too in a RE definitely yes, be it highway or city traffic. As said it protects the bike as well as our legs in most occasions. And with a crash guard I generally feel that the distance I maintain from other vehicles is generally more than without the crash bar, because I also have to calculate its space so that I don't keep brushing others. And with an enlarged fuel tank the crash bar is definitely a must for not having a dent in your tank as well as your purse.
ram.west is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2009, 10:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topedgemonk View Post
Crashed into a M800 long time back. I was on my RE std 350. Overtook a vehicle to find a M800 right in front of me, both drivers swerved. I skidded sideways and banged into the side of the M800. The car's door had a considerable dent. If it had not been for the crash guard, the first point of contact would have been my knee. There wasn't enough reaction time to jump off the bike also.
It happened while I was testing a goldie type silencer (less engine braking if you slip down a gear)
Quote:
That is a very good point, that is well taken. Indeed, one place where the crash guard works is in dense traffic, where it keeps traffic at some distance from your legs. On the other hand, a car can tip you over by touching the guard too.
I still maintain my position about it on the open road, and since my riding is of that kind, I threw away the guard. If I was commuting in normal Indian city traffic, I would perhaps put it back on.
Crash guards is useful in city driving to save the leg/knee. It does not make much sense in highway driving.

Also, Holding on to bike while falling down is a bad idea. In the case of a big crash, you would not have enough response time to do anything.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

In all this talk of holding on to the bike, I'm not sure if many have that choice to make in the thick of things/crashes. Either you get pulled with the wreck or mostly thrown off it. I'm not sure if anyone consciously makes a decision to hold on on or let go.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

When I fell from enfield, I bruised my ankle pretty bad., Had there been no crashguard, it would have fractured.
So on a bike, esp in India where there are hazards all around, its a must!
Old 21st July 2009, 12:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have seen many accidents (once with me also) where the car's back vertex/quarter or the front vertex/quarter rammed into the bike.

In such a scenario, what do you say Sawyer? The crash guard works or not?

In my own experience, I saw the crash guard taking the brunt of the impact.
It was at pretty low speeds, but enough to impart a short slight spin to the bike.
Imagine the axis of rotation going through the rider. And bike rotating on the plane of the road.

Now again imagine had the crash guard not been there. The car would've smashed into my legs - shin/knees, and possibly crippled me.

Willing to take that risk?
Old 21st July 2009, 12:42   #30
Team-BHP Support

Crash guards help!

But its important, which kind of design is used.
This is a bad design as it tends to lock the leg against the engine
The Crash Guards Discussion Thread-cr1.jpg

This on the contrary is a very good design and I have seen it save a rider.
The Crash Guards Discussion Thread-cr2.jpg

But as they say, not everything works all the time.

I do agree with dumping the bike rather than holding on to it.

And its a misconception that crash guards exist on only Indian bikes.
They are also available for the Grand daddy or cruising
Check this link for some nice designs for the Harley -> Harley Davidson Crash Bars/Highway Bars/Engine Guards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks