Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 01:58   #46

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Any recommendation for a helmet for a six year old?Want to get one for my kid if I need to drop him to his school 5 mins away from my home when we don't get a Rick .
itherohan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:47   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

So happy people are so particular with their young pillions these days. I had picked up a Held from LABS but no idea if they keep small size helmets anymore with the recent issues around ISI certification.

Contact Bachoo motors at Tardeo. I know they stock some helmets for juniors which are ok quality. Vega and similar I think. Do ensure it straps up tight so will be useful to take your kid along with you. I'd recommend full face even though its a small distance. In fact, I think I might have a red color Vega full face (unless I already gave it away) which I had bought for my kid before he grew into the slightly larger Held. Let me look around and happy to give it to you if you don't find something better anyway. Its barely used (hardly a few times) because he almost never rode the bike with me at that age.

I'll check first if I have it and then we'll figure out how to connect if you still want it.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Will check with LABS and bachoo as you suggested. Will update once I get it or if I have any doubts. Thank you for your kind offer of the helmet, I'll get back if i don't get anything at the stores.
Anyway I'm not in a rush, as don't want to risk it riding with him on wet roads, and the monsoons in Mumbai aren't going anywhere soon.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd August 2022 at 20:46. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
itherohan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:07   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by itherohan View Post
Any recommendation for a helmet for a six year old?Want to get one for my kid if I need to drop him to his school 5 mins away from my home when we don't get a Rick .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
.So happy people are so particular with their young pillions these days. I had picked up a Held from LABS but no idea if they keep small size helmets anymore with the recent issues around ISI certification.
Further to above, contacted LABS, but as per them they have stopped stocking any and all helmets due to govt regulations.

Decided to try out local stores, and bought a full face Vega Junior Buds for my kid. Cost was around 1k. There is no availability from any other brand so had to settle with this. It fits a little looser then the open helmets, but full face was non negotiable from my side. Have used it for a week and he is not complaining about wearing it, so happy overall. It should be ok for 5 min school runs in the locality.

Helmets for Kids-img20220902wa0009.jpg

Also decided to pick up a helmet for myself. Fell in love with the colours of the SMK Typhoon attached below. But it felt a little too heavy, and wasn't confident of wearing it for an extended duration. Could feel a slight pressure on my neck after wearing it for 5 mins.

Helmets for Kids-20220831_182719.jpg

Tried out the MT Hummer, and although didn't like the colours, it was really light and comfortable.

If I was younger, than would have gotten the SMK for sure, but as I get older am prioritising comfort over style, which sucks.
So bought the MT Hummer.
Both were for around 5k.

Helmets for Kids-20220909_183202.jpg
Helmets for Kids-20220909_183211.jpg
Helmets for Kids-20220909_183156.jpg

Have used or for around 100 km in the city, and helmet feels pretty ok and comfortable, although a little sweat inducing in Mumbai traffic. Will have to see how it fares on highway rides.
itherohan is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 16:23   #49
BHPian

Re: Helmets for Kids

Any recommendations for helmets for a 21/2 - 3 year old? This is for my niece. Left to me, I wouldn't let her ride, but this seems to be the next best solution.

Hand carrying from Singapore/ the UK / US might be possible, so if you have any leads from those regions, I'd be glad if you could point them out.

I remember seeing youtube videos of 4 year olds riding motorcycles in full leather gear (not India), but nothing about their gear is available.

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 21st November 2023 at 16:30.
Old 24th November 2023, 10:53   #50
BHPian

Good news for parents, two full face helmets are available now,

1. LS2 FF353 Rapid Mini - This is ECE certified and the best option available for serious junior riders.

2. RE MX Kids Helmet - This is a motocross style lid with no visor. ISI certified only.

Very pleased to see RE taking a vacant category of helmets and providing an option. With the number of RE showrooms, hope RE is able to cater to a larger audience!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 14:06   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Good news for parents, two full face helmets are available now,

1. LS2 FF353 Rapid Mini - This is ECE certified and the best option available for serious junior riders.

2. RE MX Kids Helmet - This is a motocross style lid with no visor. ISI certified only.
Am in the market to buy a good, safe, light weight, full face helmet for my 10 years old son, to be used on rides on my Versys-650; had checked out many stores in Bangalore for one in the past few weeks. The only three options I came across are:-
1. Vega Buds - Doesn't give me confidence in trusting it, flimsy and gimmicky, would work for short & slow city rides, certainly not for highway rides.
2. RE MX Kids Helmet - Its good, helmet weight is in check, fits fairly well for my son, but it doesn't come with a visor; its a proper offroad helmet, will need to buy the goggles as well, which would make the setup quite heavy & bulky for kids, using it without visor is unsafe and not recommended.
Another downside I noticed is the peak on the helmet could be a trouble-maker while seated as a rear passenger on bikes, it could keep hitting the rider either on the back or on their helmet, based on the bike seating posture style (Sports/ Commuter/ ADV), this could result in hurting either the rider of the kid am afraid. I hope they made it removable.
3. Get a XS or S size Adult Helmet - As my son's head size is 53cms, with balaclava/ a towel tied on the head, these adult helmets could be a snug fit, but even in that case the weight of the helmet is a hurdle as most of them are 1500g or higher, unless I chose a Carbon helmet, which is in the 30K range.
None of the stores I tried so far in Bangalore had the LS2 FF353 Rapid Mini available in stock, will try for a targeted search for it again to see if that is a viable option. Thanks for the suggestion.
For now, am taking my son only on scooter rides, using a half face helmet and not on Versys at all, despite his frequent requests. Unfortunately, I'll have to continue the same, until a trusted helmet is made available in India for kids.

Most Viewed