Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 15:44   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Safe Riding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
. A rider stays on board more by way of balance and gripping the petrol tank lightly with his knees, than by hanging on to the handlebars!

I suppose the principle applies to all bikes, nevertheless! Please correct me if I am wrong!
Gansan sir - You are right, albeit partially. I may be biased here because I ride a cruiser. You cannot grip the tank with the knees on types of bikes. Only sports versions perhaps?
Old 26th June 2015, 16:34   #197

Precious thread, this!

On helmets... I have recently started riding around Pune, and am aghast at the sheer number of people riding without helmets. Makes me wonder if rules were lax in Mumbai, that's the way things would be there as well. Worse, a lot of people have helmets, but they are propped up on the rearview mirror! Where's the sense in that? It makes the handling more uncomfortable anyways. For maybe a 100 meter ride from one shop to another, it's all right, but I recently had the luxury of riding next to a guy for more than 3-4 kms like that!
Old 28th August 2015, 19:55   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshumodi View Post
. For maybe a 100 meter ride from one shop to another, it's all right
Its not about the distance Himanshu. Be it 100m or 100km. In a country where the roads are always hidden with surprises, I dont think its wise to drive around without a helmet. Statistics show that a fall from 17 kmph could prove fatal. And that for a 90 degree impact from the side, a speed as low as 12 kmph could prove fatal. If I were the law maker, I would make full face helmets mandatory.
Old 6th September 2015, 01:19   #199
psn
BHPian

Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

I am not a biker, but I believe that a person who rides an Enfield or a Harley is more than your usual biker. He is not using this bike to comute from Point A to Point B. Its about a lifestyle, and also an expression of who he is.

However, today I saw three bikers in Hyderabad who were riding their Harley's and none of them was wearing a helmet. Upon seeing it, for some reason, I just realized, that whatever I have written in the first 3 lines is wrong. Spiderman said, with great power comes great responsibility, and I hope that people who buy a Harley or an Enfield realize that when even non-riders like me, when we look at them, we automatically expect a lot of responsible behavior from them.
I wish for the sake of other Harley owners these 3 individuals return their bikes to the showroom as they don't deserve such good things. Just coz you can buy it doesn't mean should.
Seething with anger.
psn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 06:19   #200
BANNED

Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

I totally agree. In fact, I see enough idiots on 'super bikes' in Bangalore, riding at absurd speeds. They are a menace to others on the road as well. Should be arrested.
kumar2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 08:12   #201
BHPian

No need to bestow such tags on a Harley or an Enfield rider. Just because they spend more money on bikes doesn't make them different. Irrespective of you ride an Activa or a Hayabussa, Hemet is a basic gear to wear.
StepUP! is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 09:15   #202
BANNED

I thought Uncle Ben told the line to Spidey

Laws of Physics, Gravity, and in some places, Traffic Laws, does not care about the bike or the cost of the bike when it comes to helmet usage.

Common sense might make one wear one. But, as can be seen on the roads, not so common to see.

As a "role model", one might be expected to wear. But in Indian society, kids don't even learn to stand in queue from adults, so helmet wearing is way down the list.

So, live and let live(or die).

Just be sure to ride safe!!

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 09:29   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
I thought Uncle Ben told the line to Spidey

As a "role model", one might be expected to wear. But in Indian society, kids don't even learn to stand in queue from adults, so helmet wearing is way down the list.

Cheers.
This is the sad reality and it is frustrating to see the kids do not have the opportunity to learn the discipline, be it standing in the queue, following traffic rules etc.

I also have seen super bikes driven rashly in a narrow lanes in Bangalore by few, and there are others who live up to the responsibility of having more powerful super bikes
Old 6th September 2015, 10:59   #204
Senior - BHPian

Why only Harley or a Bullet? Does it mean that a person riding an Activa or a Splendor can ride without a helmet? forget riding gear?
And why this discrimination of superbikes being ridden rashly? What about the 100cc 2 stroke wonderboys from Kurla? Are they made of steel and titanium like Ironman? Or can they be excused because they belong to a lower strata of the society and ride relatively 'puny' bikes?
IMO a puny 2 stroke Yamaha is more dangerous even at 80kmph because of the way these morons cut and weave through traffic, at-least a superbike has devices such as abs to help the rider slow down safely unlike the nylon tyred drum brakes on the Yamaha.
This thread doesn't make any sense, ideally everyone on two wheels must wear a helmet, if possible riding gear and respect all road rules. There is nothing like a guy on a bigger bike setting examples for the others, we are not in kindergarten.
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 11:01   #205
BHPian

To begin with, a person who rides an Enfield/Harley/Any Superbike IS a normal biker. What, he proclaimed he's above all through his exhaust? Or because he's riding a heavy motorcycle and you reckon that he must possess the power of Atlas to control such heavy weight?

'Heavy' motorcycles are as nimble as a commuter motorcycle after catching decent speed. Yes, in traffic, they're a nightmare.

Coming to your point, I would say this - It is NOT necessary for someone to be above a 'normal' biker just because he's riding a machine that gives out more horses than you. Maybe he's just going out for a test ride on a friend's bike (probably riding it for the first time) and hence he has no concern over the safety of his friend's bike nor his own life. It has happened with me, you know. Gave my bike to a friend for a spin and got phone calls within 2 minutes that my ride was being revved hard and ridden hazardously. Immediately asked him to return, and downgraded his status to an acquaintance. My motorcycle and it's well being is my priority. Period.

A person who is geared up with a proper helmet is certainly above 'normal', only because he has the realisation of the respect he must give to his machine, because he knows that any funny business when it comes to his bike would land him in biker heaven. It's that simple. Same applies to everyone. Just because your motorcycle is of 100cc doesn't mean you shouldn't wear your helmet and ride with caution. We remember the RX-100, don't we?

It all comes down to this. As a motorcycle owner, you need to set an example to others. People should realise that every geared up biker is not participating in a drag race. In my opinion, a fully geared up rider always looks way more 'cooler' than the one who doesn't. I personally vouch for it. Has happened with me and my co-riders when we have stolen the show from squids.

Would end with a quote that I really like for it's hidden meaning.

'I look my best just as I'm taking off my helmet after a long satisfying motorcycle ride.'
- Eric Bana
barcalad is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 11:38   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

A person who is geared up with a proper helmet is certainly above 'normal', only because he has the realisation of the respect he must give to his machine, because he knows that any funny business when it comes to his bike would land him in biker heaven.

It all comes down to this. As a motorcycle owner, you need to set an example to others. People should realise that every geared up biker is not participating in a drag race. In my opinion, a fully geared up rider always looks way more 'cooler' than the one who doesn't.
Couldn't explain it better

It is the rider that matters. My respect would always go to an ATGATT rider on a Splendor than a rider in fools gear on a Harley Davidson Electra Glide. Only if you love yourself that you can love your motorcycle.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 18:43   #207
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
To begin with, a person who rides an Enfield/Harley/Any Superbike IS a normal biker. What, he proclaimed he's above all through his exhaust? Or because he's riding a heavy motorcycle and you reckon that he must possess the power of Atlas to control such heavy weight?

'Heavy' motorcycles are as nimble as a commuter motorcycle after catching decent speed. Yes, in traffic, they're a nightmare.

Coming to your point, I would say this - It is NOT necessary for someone to be above a 'normal' biker just because he's riding a machine that gives out more horses than you. Maybe he's just going out for a test ride on a friend's bike (probably riding it for the first time) and hence he has no concern over the safety of his friend's bike nor his own life. It has happened with me, you know. Gave my bike to a friend for a spin and got phone calls within 2 minutes that my ride was being revved hard and ridden hazardously. Immediately asked him to return, and downgraded his status to an acquaintance. My motorcycle and it's well being is my priority. Period.

A person who is geared up with a proper helmet is certainly above 'normal', only because he has the realisation of the respect he must give to his machine, because he knows that any funny business when it comes to his bike would land him in biker heaven. It's that simple. Same applies to everyone. Just because your motorcycle is of 100cc doesn't mean you shouldn't wear your helmet and ride with caution. We remember the RX-100, don't we?

It all comes down to this. As a motorcycle owner, you need to set an example to others. People should realise that every geared up biker is not participating in a drag race. In my opinion, a fully geared up rider always looks way more 'cooler' than the one who doesn't. I personally vouch for it. Has happened with me and my co-riders when we have stolen the show from squids.

Would end with a quote that I really like for it's hidden meaning.

'I look my best just as I'm taking off my helmet after a long satisfying motorcycle ride.'
- Eric Bana
Very very well put. I really wish everybody thinks like you do. I am sure that there are people, no matter which vehicle they drive, respect the vehicle, other fellow drivers and pedestrians. But for some reason, I expect a person who is buying such vehicles to definitely respect the vehicle. The vehicles deserve to be respected. I expect them to take care of it like their baby\friend. And therefore, my expectation from them is also more. And yes I expect him to be more responsible.
psn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 19:03   #208
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If a person uses a machine irresponsibly and then pays the price, it is on his/her own head.
Machines make great servants but equally they make terrible masters!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:17   #209
Senior - BHPian

Well from what I have observed through all these years of riding experience and talking with people my views are that in India only a handful of people give importance to personal safety. Forget about others' safety people don't care about their own safety which is witnessed by people avoiding to wear a helmet which is the most basic safety gear money can buy. Even if they do wear a helmet it is an excuse of a helmet bought for 300-500 odd bucks whose safety rating I am not sure of. Most of the times you will find these kind of people not strapping up their excuse of a helmet which will fly off on impact. Next comes mid and lower body safety comprising of riding jackets, riding pants, knee guards, gloves, riding shoes/boots, etc. I can understand that most of the commuting crowd wont be able to afford these gears but they can at least invest in a good quality helmet. In fact a good quality helmet for pillion is also very important as the pillion is as much at risk as the rider in case of a fall. I always appeal to fellow riders to take their personal safety very seriously by following ATGATT.
Old 7th September 2015, 11:06   #210
Senior - BHPian

What is the purpose of this thread? Kawasaki/Honda/Suzuki superbikes are ok without helmet, but Harley has special responsibility ?

We already have an existing helmet thread, this can be merged with that thread. Or at least the name of the thread needs to be changed. Else here are my suggestions for next threads:

Chevrolet curuze and the responsibility of the owner (use the seatbelts and don't put the kids through the sunroof)
Honda CBR650F and the responsibility of the rider (use helmet)
Some other bike and the (ir)responsibility of the rider

Last edited by ani_meher : 7th September 2015 at 11:08.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks