Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:06   #106
BHPian

Re: The Safe Riding thread

@Rollin' Thunda +1, had doubts about that but thought it might work with bigger capacity bikes with better tyres and traction.

I have had a very unpleasant experience where riding through traffic a rickshaw cut in and I had to brake hard, My front brake bite was weak and rear was decent. In a reflex action I clamped on both the brakes, My rear fishtailed, luckily the bike stopped in time. Had cold sweat for the next 10 mins.

Have faced this problem with my Rx100 manytimes while my Rx135 brakes really well, Dont know why though. Faced the same issues with other Rx100s as well.

Also had a doubt on how to brake with a pillion on board. Any changes in technique?
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:57   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Also had a doubt on how to brake with a pillion on board. Any changes in technique?
The pillion would shift the center-of-gravity to the back of the vehicle, and also make the load a little unbalanced.

Then I would expect two consequences: 1. The rear-brake would become more effective (because of the greater weight on the rear-wheel), and 2. braking hard on a curve with the front brake would tend to destabilize the bike due to the unbalanced load.

In summary, when with a pillion, I think we should use more of the the rear-brake than we usually do, and make sure (even more than usual) to straighten the bike before braking hard.

[Caution: two-wheel vehicle dynamics is very non-intuitive (eg, counter-steering), so I offer my opinion with a side-dish of salt!]

Anyone with a counter-view?
Old 7th April 2012, 23:07   #108
BHPian

Hi, with the pillion rider on, it would be better to initiate braking by tapping the rear brake and as soon as the weight shifts to the front wheel, follow it up with the front brake. Again most of the braking will be done by the front brakes here. With the pillion on, you can safely squeeze the front brakes without fear of the rear wheel lifting off the ground or locking up the front wheel provided that the braking is done with the bike straight up.
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 7th April 2012 at 23:08.
Old 8th May 2012, 19:31   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Here are some books which teach motorcycling techniques for the street as well as for the track.

1. Sport riding techniques - Nick Ienatsch

2. Twist of the Wrist - Keith Code (available on dvd too).

3. The soft science of road racing motorcycles - Wayne Rainey

4. Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques - Lee Parks

5. Techniques of Motor Cycle Road Racing - Kenny Roberts

These are available on Amazon.com and eBay.com
Thank you n_aditya for the pointers to these treasures. I have completed the Twist of the wrist, Techniques of motorcycle road racing and is currently going through sport riding techniques. Not even in my dreams that I had the thought that stabilizing the motorcycle suspension through throttle control held the key to efficient cornering. I am also practicing downshifting with blipping the throttle while braking. I ride a royal enfield bullet and after I have started to blip the throttle while downshifting, the entire transmission has smoothened out with less hickups and misses during gear changes. Anyway don't have words to express my gratitude
Regards Adrian
Old 8th June 2012, 20:59   #110
BHPian

Hi Bhpians, I would like to add two more books to the list added by n_aditya.

1.Proficient motorcycling : The ultimate guide to riding well
2.More proficient motorcycling : Mastering the ride

Author : David.L.Hough

These books not only covers the techniques for safe riding but also provides information & precautions to be taken when riding in extreme climates. For eg: Symptoms of hypothermia and heat stroke, how to avoid them and first aid as well. Great book for mile munchers as well as street riders.

Regards Adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 21:26   #111
BHPian

Re: When not to use your front brake agressively

Throughout this thread, I generally have been advocating using the front brake, as it provides most of the stopping power in an emergency situation (and in an emergency, you fall back on your usual braking habits, so it is best to brake every time as if you have an emergency situation).

However, it not always the best practice. Here is a counter-example (drawn, as usual, from my own experience): A few months ago I was on my TBTS approaching a curve at around 50 kmph. To slow down to take the curve I applied the front brake aggressively, my usual practice. But this time, however, I was in a section of the road that was shaded by a tree, while the rest of the road was in bright sunshine. My eyes, therefore, could not adjust to the darker section of the road, and I did not see that it was full of gravel. MY front wheel immediately locked, my bike skidded, and I fell heavily on my side. Fortunately, as I was wearing protective gear, I was not injured severely (the bike took a beating, but was saved partly by the leg-guard). I had a very bad sprain of my back muscles due to the impact that took a month to recover, and which even now, after 3 months, gives me a twinge of pain once in awhile....

So, don't use your front brake aggressively, if you cannot see the road surface clearly...
Old 31st August 2012, 23:30   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
So, don't use your front brake aggressively, if you cannot see the road surface clearly...
I totally agree with this. Using the front brake becomes almost second nature after a while for emergencies / stops. But it should be done judiciously. Especially on our crowded roads. I had a similar experience some months ago. Was riding back home from work at about 9:00 PM. There was a bus in front of me. In the glorious tradition of Pune 2-wheeler riders, I tried to pass it from the left side. Now as I started my tilt to the left side to change my line, the bus braked. I was 10 metres away at about 50-60 kmph. The sudden braking caused me to instinctively jam the front brakes as I tilted to the left. Coincidently I also went over a water puddle as I was changing my line. Had not seen it coming as I was concentrating on the bus. Needless to say the front wheel jammed and skid on the wet road. I hit the road with my jaw. Thank god for my Helmet and jacket I had a few minor scratches that healed in a week. My ever faithful Unicorn, being almost bulletproof (God bless Honda!!) started in one kick in spite of skidding down the road for a couple of metres. And I caused a minor traffic jam. People could not beleive that I got back up on my feet. Guess the fall looked much worse than it was. Went back to the drawing board as far as my riding technique was concerned. Am still nervous about following buses. I stick to the left lane now.....
Old 1st September 2012, 06:47   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
.... Went back to the drawing board as far as my riding technique was concerned. Am still nervous about following buses. I stick to the left lane now.....
Hi, Indraneel, You should read more of the the "Safe Riding Thread"

From post 28:
Quote:
Maintain at least a 2 second distance [see Notes 1 and 2] from the vehicle in front. If this is not possible, as in congested traffic, grasp the front brake, be very alert and stay on one side of the vehicle in front, preferably on its left [for exceptions, see 3], so that you can swerve to avoid it if it stops abruptly. During rain, at night or on highways keep 4 second distances.

[3] Tempos, buses, taxis, autos and other public transport often go left and stop suddenly to disembark passengers. So, if you are behind them, avoid riding on their left or directly behind, stay on their rear right side and maintain extra distance.
from post 56:
Quote:

[1] Overtaking from the left is dangerous because the driver ahead is usually unaware of your presence and may suddenly swerve left to avoid oncoming traffic, and thus hit you. It is especially dangerous if the traffic is moving fast, or you are approaching an intersection, a side-road or a left turn, bad road conditions (potholes, etc), road obstructions or are overtaking long vehicles like trucks and buses (where you cannot see the traffic conditions ahead), or autos and taxis (that can turn left suddenly to pick up/drop off passengers). But left-side overtakes are a time-honored custom with two-wheelers. Having understood the risks, if you still want to overtake from the left, do so ONLY IF the above conditions are absent AND you can keep sufficient distance [at least 2-3 meters side-ways] in case the vehicle swerves suddenly.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

A Team member...

TVS Scooty (brother in law's, borrowed)
Wet (Tharred road)
around 40Kmph, 11AM on a sunday
Inside the town (Hosur)
No Helmet, Lucky to survive without a scratch to the head/torso!!

Squeezed the front brake thinking its his disc brake twister...!!

The Safe Riding thread-img_20121105_135227_0.jpg

The Safe Riding thread-img_20121105_135302_0.jpg

Take aways

1) don't assume any riding gear for namesake, at least a helmet, shoe and gloves inside city must!

2) Understand your machine before you start moving forward.

3) Dont ride like a maniac (this dude agreed he was speeding, 40 in that narrow rural road was asking for trouble!)

4) Size of bike has nothing to do with size of injuries..!!

Ride Safe!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 5th November 2012 at 15:16.
Old 5th November 2012, 16:20   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Take aways

1) don't assume any riding gear for namesake, at least a helmet, shoe and gloves inside city must!
Santosh-anna, add a jacket to that list. It would have lessened (if not prevented) two of his three injuries, ie: the road-rash on his knees and forearms.

Quote:

4) Size of bike has nothing to do with size of injuries..!!

Ride Safe!!
How true, how true!!!
Hope he only suffered what we see in the pics, and did not break anything!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 5th November 2012, 17:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

No broken bones , guy was in office after 2 weeks! Lucky dude!!!

When he stepped out of home he asked his brother in law for a helmet and the bil and his wife laughed him off saying its only Hosur, helmet will look silly!! She was inconsolable at the hospital! !
Old 5th November 2012, 17:07   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Santosh-anna, add a jacket to that list. It would have lessened (if not prevented) two of his three injuries, ie: the road-rash on his knees and forearms.

How true, how true!!!
Hope he only suffered what we see in the pics, and did not break anything!

Cheers,
Rahul
As someone's tag line here says, sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Use all your gear all the time. Yes it is a pain, but imagine how much better off the guy would have been in the scooty accident. Road rash definitely off and maybe nothing on his leg with a good boot.
Old 5th November 2012, 17:12   #118
BHPian

Quote:
...laughed him off saying its only Hosur, helmet will look silly!! She was inconsolable at the hospital! !
Bandaged heads are the latest fashion in Hosur aa?
But then, its human to be obstinate and only learn by doing I guess.
Old 5th November 2012, 17:30   #119
BHPian

I remember even I used to wear a helmet on my Scooty (the 2stroke ES nonetheless!). It sure looked damn silly, but Pune being Pune, its an absolute must to have all the protection you can!
Today, my friends tease me calling me 'jacket vala' (cuz I wear mine whatever be the weather), but I don't mind, because that same little-frayed jacket has saved me many-an-instance of road rash!
Old 5th November 2012, 18:23   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
I remember even I used to wear a helmet on my Scooty (the 2stroke ES nonetheless!). It sure looked damn silly, but Pune being Pune, its an absolute must to have all the protection you can!
Now we have to tell this to all the lovely ladies in Pune who prefer to wear a insurgent-style headscarf around their faces. Doesn't THAT look silly? Wear it under a helmet, looks a lot less silly.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed