Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 11:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

this is a very good initative - when ever I ride on highwayas, i ride with my headlight on. It is much easier to spot a bike/ar with headlight on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

1. Not battery or anything, it comes cheap for a bike but people would keep pointing and say " Your light is on with a wicked smile"
Ask any Ninja owner you may find, all have experienced this with additional question like "Is it a modified Pulsar"
+1 to that - Havfe faced it a lot, and got used to it - now when some one points it out, I just smile

Last edited by theexperthand : 4th May 2010 at 11:12.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:50   #17
BHPian

+100 to that :-D. Whether it is battery, dynamo, electrical, lamp life.. or what ever it is! I wouldn't mind to do that as far as the cops do not fine for it!

I have couple of examples of the local cops (read ignorant low rankers) who are not aware of the international scenes who objected, where I had to spend quite a time explaining the necessities of it.

It will really helps when riding/driving in the dark spots of the day such as tree shades, etc.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think if Government Mandates Two Wheelers to fix A Auxiliary Head Lamp(may be in blue colour ) with sharp beam for the Purpose- that is ,to easily spot by Drivers of other Vehicles ,Isn't this Better?

I know implementation is tough.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:08   #19
BHPian

a pretty good initiative. i too ride with my lights on most of the times. but just imagine every biker following the same.
there would be gangs of headlights floating around everywhere. this can be quite irritating.
though i would like to keep my lights on:P but 'm not sure of the effectiveness of this if everybody follows the suit especially in our country as 2 wheelers are very common on road.

but there is no doubt that keeping the lights on during the day improves your visibility (for the oncoming traffic)
Old 4th May 2010, 13:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ride with Headlight ON for the same reason- India has very high number of two wheelers.I believe ,even in City Traffic ,A Biker with Headlights ON tries to Squeeze into Left side of your car can be easily spotted?OTOH ,I don't Believe Headlights of Bikes will be much of a problem for Other Vehicles.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

I also ride mostly headlights on, when i am on highway. But in city people will irritate with trying to help you switch off your light lol. Never done on car but i guess from now on i will
Old 4th May 2010, 14:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised and i'm happy! Surprised because i never expected OUR government to bring forth such a rule.

I hope it doesn't go the Helmet Rule way.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:52   #23
BHPian

This is indeed a welcome initiative. I use low beam lights while riding on highways. Also, all the group rides encourage to use the low beam lights for daylight riding.

I did a quick search in Wikipedia about DRLs in motorcycles, and they've cited a reference study in the same subject which concludes that usage of DRLs saves at least 2% of motorcycle crashes worldwide. Now that's something notable..

One annoyance i forsee will be in stop-and-go traffic, motorcycles that have headlights running directly from the battery might run out of juice :(
Old 4th May 2010, 16:29   #24
BHPian

Jkdas,
This decision was not taken by the kerala government but by the KERALA ROAD Safety Authority and if IIRC 2 teamBhpians are members of that authority
Old 4th May 2010, 16:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

I ride with my bike's headlight's ON on highways.

This is certainly a good move & I hope other states also adopt this soon.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You'd be surprised, you might see the vehicle but not aware. With lights on , the bike would be in your face. Also the lights help others judge your speed

I usually keep my lights on when on the highway. The lights make people aware and reduces other reaction time.

As for battery power waste - the power does not come from the battery unless your magneto / dynamo / alternator is kaput. a new battery is a small price for the cost of a life/ injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm surprised and i'm happy! Surprised because i never expected OUR government to bring forth such a rule.

I hope it doesn't go the Helmet Rule way.
The first thing I thought but they dont need to make this a rule; just education via newspaper/TV etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Jkdas,
This decision was not taken by the kerala government but by the KERALA ROAD Safety Authority and if IIRC 2 teamBhpians are members of that authority
Thanks Kishore.

You dont need to drive/ride with headlamps on, even parking lights helps or fogs ( for cars).

What catches your eye first when you see A4? The lights right?
Old 4th May 2010, 17:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move, This has been implemented strictly in European Union. For misty and rainy condition its very useful. You can spot vehicles easily than without light on. This is good measure as some drivers refuse to switch on lights till 7 PM as if they want to show others their eyes is sharp.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

The point is, that all of you guys use your HLs on the highways during the day.

I personally don't even prefer that, I somehow feel it reduces the effect of the flasher.

Talking exclusively about bikes, I doubt a 35W bulb peering through a murky glass in the bright sunlight will register on anyone's mind.

DRLs are specifically built for that purpose, I doubt HLs are.

When quoting examples from Europe or the US of A, let us remember that most of the two-wheelers run projectors (I guess!) and not 35W halogens.

PS: From what I see, most of you quote situations where it would anyway be prudent to use your headlamp: Misty/Foggy conditions, Dusk, Highways...

Last edited by EssYouWe : 4th May 2010 at 23:07.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:31   #29
BHPian

Starting a campaign to teach all carwallahas and truckwallahas to switch to low beam when approaching other vehicles is IMHO more necessary!!!
Old 5th May 2010, 16:53   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A step in the right direction! Well done Kerala. Keeping the headlamps on massively improves your visibility to others. When out on the highway, you'll always find my car running with its headlights in lowbeam (obviously during the day too).

I hope Kerala strictly enforces the helmet rule too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks