Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 08:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ride on but with your headlights on during daytime in Kerala!

Government wants people to ride their bikes with headlights on in Kerala as a study says it helps minimize accidents. Bikes with lights on can be spotted easily which helps avoid accidents.

Well, true but will this be effective here in Kerala?
Old 4th May 2010, 08:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hehe! A lot of people do it in Delhi out of sheer ignorance.

I doubt it'd help much. The ambient lighting during the day is more than enough and the light bulbs won't be making much of a difference to the visibility anyway.

If some douche in a car can't see a whole bike, I doubt a glowing headlamp would make it any more visible.

Just my two cents! I hate wasting battery power.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:08   #3
BHPian

Good to know that the Kerala Govt has come up with such an awareness program. I am sure it would help with the monsoon season ahead .
Old 4th May 2010, 09:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

It sure makes a difference.
New cars in many countries are equipped with day time driving lights which stay on.
Even on Indian highways, it is best to drive with the lights on. If it increases the chances of that villager crossing the road seeing you approach by even 1%, its worth the drain on the battery.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I doubt it'd help much. The ambient lighting during the day is more than enough and the light bulbs won't be making much of a difference to the visibility anyway.
You'd be surprised, you might see the vehicle but not aware. With lights on , the bike would be in your face. Also the lights help others judge your speed

I usually keep my lights on when on the highway. The lights make people aware and reduces other reaction time.

As for battery power waste - the power does not come from the battery unless your magneto / dynamo / alternator is kaput. a new battery is a small price for the cost of a life/ injury
Old 4th May 2010, 09:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
i disagree. i strongly believe that it will help in spotting the bike earlier, and why the hell not, if it can save a life or limb.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:29   #7
BANNED

Excellent decision. In line with Europe and the US. I hope all states do it.

In Scandinavia cars also must have running lights (typically 20W).
Old 4th May 2010, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well IMO, if people are careless to watch out a motorcycle approaching, how come turning ON lights will help? It may help in the initially as no one is used to see motorcycles with lights turned ON during the day & out of curiosity people notice the the light, but in the long run, people will ignore it because there're lights everywhere. On the contrary, using a dipper can help to capture the attention. Hope the bus, trucks, cars & auto don't join into this band wagon to show their strength of headlights.

@sgiitk - Sir, in Europe & US, there're cars, 18 wheelers flooding everywhere & motorcycles are tiny objects & turning ON lights, yes will definetly help them notice. But here, its the other way or motorcycles forms considerable number of count on the road at par with other vehicles. So one can only see considerable number of motorcycles with headlights turned ON.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@sgiitk - Sir, in Europe & US, there're cars, 18 wheelers flooding everywhere & motorcycles are tiny objects & turning ON lights, yes will definetly help them notice. But here, its the other way or motorcycles forms considerable number of count on the road at par with other vehicles. So one can only see considerable number of motorcycles with headlights turned ON.
The running daylights that sgiitk mentioned are on EVERY vehicle, not just motorcycles.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

A good move by the KL government.

The headlight switched on certainly catches more attention of people; only irritant being that everyone will be pointing it out to you. Another fact (at least in Indian roads) is that all our drivers are tuned to giving right of way if headlight is on.

I have found this true on a trip to Chennai couple of months back. Had forgotten to switch off parking and fog lamps after day break; noticed vehicles waiting for me to cross in couple of intersections even though the usual trend would have been to jump on to the highway.

Been driving so, in highways, like that, ever since and would definitely recommend it.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:22   #11
BANNED

Turn on your lights and drive regularly. See the number of people telling you your lights are on. Thats reason enought to keep them on, you know people are aware of you being there. I do it regularly on the highway works very well.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:23   #12
BANNED

Every responsible rider of a super bike that i've seen so far rides with the bikes headlight ON during day. since these bikes are really fast, its good they drive like that.

We always drive with our Fog lights ON on long drives in our Safari.

Proved good most of the time. RECOMENDED
Old 4th May 2010, 10:25   #13
BHPian

finally this rule is getting implemented in India too nice. It does help when the lights are on.

This should be made mandatory not only for bikes but for all vehicles
Old 4th May 2010, 10:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Turning on/flashing headlights while overtaking in two lane roads helps incoming vehicles to notice and give way. I'm wondering which signal I should use while overtaking next time in Kerala if everyone's headlights are on!!

Also, what is the point in switching on headlights in a one way? I'm sure that you will get noticed if your lights are on but it may not be that much effective if all vehicles lights are on.

Ultimately, if this helps in reducing accidents, better try that.

Last edited by coolclouds : 4th May 2010 at 10:54.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have a P220 and i do keep the Projectors on all the time, the only time they are off is when am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic
The reasons are:

1. The car guys may still see you coming but with the headlights on especially if you have a powerful light set up then its much better and its a proven fact that visibility improves with lights on. Ninja 250R, all Superbikes sold in India- R1, Busa etc have no provision to ever switch the dipped beam off.

2. The RVM's of bikes vibrate a little at higher speeds and things get a lil blurred and you are not able to make up whats coming from behind, headlights make it easy to judge how near the vehicle behind you is.

3. Whenever we go on tours, all 7-8 bikes of our group are advised to keep lights on and it does help a lot many times.

CONS:

1. Not battery or anything, it comes cheap for a bike but people would keep pointing and say " Your light is on with a wicked smile"
Ask any Ninja owner you may find, all have experienced this with additional question like "Is it a modified Pulsar"

Most Viewed