Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 10:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Poor,poor little child. I shudder to think what she is going through, and of the trauma being felt by the entire family. I appeal to everyone not to carry kids on pillion if their feet can't firmly reach the foot pegs. If it is absolutely unavoidable, the least you can do is switch to a scooter instead of a bike.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:55   #17
BHPian

the people dont buy a scooteer as it quite less mileage than a bike . a 36000 rs bike can easily give 70 kmpl but scooters not more than 45 . our incomes are not that high that they switch to scooter .in india also there are no helmets available for kids . the parents should buy the skating helmets as they are avail .

buses dont go everywhere and autos are expensive even for middle class .
Old 15th June 2010, 14:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
the people dont buy a scooteer as it quite less mileage than a bike . a 36000 rs bike can easily give 70 kmpl but scooters not more than 45 . our incomes are not that high that they switch to scooter .in india also there are no helmets available for kids . the parents should buy the skating helmets as they are avail .

buses dont go everywhere and autos are expensive even for middle class .
Heard of rickshaw? and the points you are stating are pretty lame enough as you or for that matter anyone should have a proper understanding of what he/she wants, the safety of one's self or to manage to save some quick bucks,

you absolutely do not need to go to Mc D for your burger, you do not need to watch movie in AC halls, but you do, the point is--what you prefer?
as far as kid helmets go, if there is a demand, locals shall start manufacturing it,
It is a no brainer for some who has brains.
Attached Thumbnails
How safe are Bike Alloy Wheels for pillions?-misir_ali_rickshaw_puller02.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 15th June 2010 at 14:31.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:42   #19
BANNED

All sympathies for the child, none for the parents!
Old 15th June 2010, 16:26   #20
BHPian

@Sheel - do you know how much a rickshaw puller charges for even small distances ? nor are they allowed on most roads .in bihar it might be cheap but in most metros they charge quite a lot . its too expensive .

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 15th June 2010 at 16:28.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:20   #21
BHPian

@Sheel-Not all cities have these rikshaws.

I didn't know that helmets are not available for kids!! It's shocking! Walking through a park where a young mother with a small on the Scooty without the helmet made me wonder if helmets are available for kids, why parents weren't buying. Now I know why :(
Old 15th June 2010, 19:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

these are the times I think govt needs to start protecting children from parents. At times it feels weird in USA when parents get convicted for child neglect. But it's also true that there has to be somebody to speak for the child.
Old 15th June 2010, 20:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post

No offence, but should children not be taken for rides on bikes?

Ours is a small city and we don't have City buses. Autos are expensive for short runs.

I have a two and half year old son who loves riding on the bike as much as I do. I keep him on the fuel tank since there is no other place where I can keep an eye on him.

Is there a ideal seating position for Children on two-wheelers?

India is a country where most of the populace have access only to 2 wheelers. It is sad to see that no manufacturer has tried a Child-safe feature on any two-wheelers.

Maybe its too much to expect from the manufacturers who don't even try to design vehicles keeping sari-clad women pillion riders in mind.
No offense taken. N i would still say no. I would not want to keep a kid on the fuel tank. I understand that in small cities other modes of transport maybe hard to find. But just think about it hypothetically, a man with a kid on the fuel tank collide with some other vehicle on the road. Who is going to take the brunt of the accident? Who is the most vulnerable in this scenario? The kid. That is why i said that they should not be kept near on the fuel tank etc. I hope you get my point.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
No offense taken. N i would still say no. I would not want to keep a kid on the fuel tank. I understand that in small cities other modes of transport maybe hard to find. But just think about it hypothetically, a man with a kid on the fuel tank collide with some other vehicle on the road. Who is going to take the brunt of the accident? Who is the most vulnerable in this scenario? The kid. That is why i said that they should not be kept near on the fuel tank etc. I hope you get my point.
Point taken!

I remember myself riding on fuel tanks as a kid, but I am not justifying that is right.

I do agree with the safety perspective, but for short distances (like upto a Km) I see no other alternatives except walking all the way!

Just awaiting any safety gear for kids.
Old 16th June 2010, 01:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Technically you are right but most riders are worried about kids falling off from behind but up front you can keep an eye on them.
Old 16th June 2010, 07:40   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
@Sheel - do you know how much a rickshaw puller charges for even small distances ? nor are they allowed on most roads .in bihar it might be cheap but in most metros they charge quite a lot . its too expensive .
Yes, i do have a fair idea of what a rickshaw-puller charges, it is for you to decide whether you wish to pay him or you wish to pay few bills at the hospital and as far as non-availability goes there are pretty few places/occasions where kids accompany their parents and at those times a cab/auto can be hired if you do not own a car,

i know majority of us do not own a car and even hiring an auto etc might be a stretch, but kids don't accompany parents on everyday basis and on the occasions they do, it is worth-while to invest in a decent commuting mode or use public transport for as much distance they can.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you guys are forgetting the first thing about safety, which is no small child on bikes. Unless the kid can put his legs on the footrest.
Certainly & to an extend, education can help.
My Son loves riding/driving with me & he's less than 3. I teach many things on the hazardous parts of driving/riding. May be he doesn't understand things, but he keeps repeating to everyone that shouldn't be done & he understands that he shouldn't be doing such things. But in due course of time, he'll understand what needs & need not be done.

My empathy to the poor little child & the moron parents.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
@Sheel-Not all cities have these rikshaws.

I didn't know that helmets are not available for kids!! It's shocking! Walking through a park where a young mother with a small on the Scooty without the helmet made me wonder if helmets are available for kids, why parents weren't buying. Now I know why :(
Guys, I am sure that there are helmets for kids as small as five year olds. I know for certain as I have seen quite a few in Kolkata. Those are not stylish by any stretch of the imagination but are full mask helmets which I feel will provide some degree of safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yes, i do have a fair idea of what a rickshaw-puller charges, it is for you to decide whether you wish to pay him or you wish to pay few bills at the hospital and as far as non-availability goes there are pretty few places/occasions where kids accompany their parents and at those times a cab/auto can be hired if you do not own a car,

i know majority of us do not own a car and even hiring an auto etc might be a stretch, but kids don't accompany parents on everyday basis and on the occasions they do, it is worth-while to invest in a decent commuting mode or use public transport for as much distance they can.
@Sheel, hope you dont mind by the way I put this, but for some it is simply not an option. Some live on such tight budgets that spending on a cab ride one evening may rob them of dinner on the last day of the month. Cabs charge around Rs. 10/km. Bikes can give a mileage of around 50 atleast. effectively bringing the cost/km to Re. 1/km. A 10 km. journey could save a man Rs. 90 and for some that is equal to there daily expense budget!
Old 16th June 2010, 12:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Saree Guard is only on left side and works if woman is sitting sideways.

If you are sitting front facing your right leg has no protection.

For kids its very hard because the foot doesn't reach the footrest.

This is so sick and deeply saddening. The driver should be arrested and caned! Feel bad for the poor kid....no fault of hers. IMHO kids below a certain age where they cant seat themselves properly, should be banned from being ferried on 2 wheelers
Old 16th June 2010, 20:42   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the deep concern regarding safety issues by fellow bhpians.The accident took place on 14/6/2010 and was reported upon by the press today (Times of India, Nagpur dated 16/06/2010).
Startlingly, the victim was a NOT A CHILD but a lady aged 28 (she requested the press not to reveal her name) who was going to get dropped at her workplace with her brother as the rider.She lost her forefoot in this accident. The rider slipped and fell down and as a result this tragic incident with the pillion rider happened.
The bystanders had told me that it was a child, but the actual report says it was a lady. By reading all the posts I too was aghast at such a freak accident and the culprits involved be it either the rider or the design or the system which allows all these things to take place.
As my friends here say such tragedies are looming large, because many kids whose legs hang and do not even reach the rear foot pegs are moved around as pillions by illiterate and even criminal parents or elders on bikes.
We need to be cautious and let safety take a prime position in our scheme of things.
How safe are Bike Alloy Wheels for pillions?-toi-news.jpg

Most Viewed