Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 19:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

How safe are Bike Alloy Wheels for pillions?

Today at around 10.30 am I was passing by a city road and saw a crowd that had gathered there. Was undoubtedly an accident that had occurred about half an hour or so back.
A brand new black Pulsar with no damages was the centre of attraction for the crowd.No other accident involved vehicle was seen around.The victim was removed from the site by then. I could gather information that the rider was carrying a child as pillion and this child's leg got entangled in between the rear wheel alloy spokes.The leg was severed.
I was shocked to learn about the tragedy.
We all crave for such goodies as alloys, but are not aware of the consequences and safety measures that come appended with these goodies under Indian conditions of use.
More details on that after the newspaper reports tomorrow.
Just now spoke to the offices of two prominent local dailies. They have confirmed that a girl child was involved whose leg was severed. TRAGIC and nothing else.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th June 2010 at 19:18.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sad Incident!
That's the primary reason that the Saree guards are mandatory on all bikes in India. For me, Indian Govt. should make it compulsory on both the sides to prevent such mishap's.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:29   #3
BHPian

even spokes would have broken her leg . maybe bike didnt have saree guard that prevents leg and sarees from going in .
Old 14th June 2010, 19:42   #4
BHPian

Yes, I think it's time leg guards were made mandatory on bikes irrespective of what happens to their looks. We care so much about safety in cars then why not on bikes?
Old 14th June 2010, 19:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think you guys are forgetting the first thing about safety, which is no small child on bikes. Unless the kid can put his legs on the footrest.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:40   #6
BHPian

Very Tragic. I believe the girl most probably could not put her leg on the footrest. Saree guards are necessary in such circumstances.

I really get agitated when i see small kids being taken on bikes. I mean some are made to sit on the fuel tank, some made to sit behind in the opposite direction and made to hold on to the grab rails. Most are not able to put their feet on the footrests. I understand many of these people cannot afford to buy a car, or even pay for an auto. But buses are always there and are safe. I hope some rules could be brought in to stop such dangerous practices.
Old 15th June 2010, 00:08   #7
BHPian

Truly a sad incident. Its also right that the same would have happened on a spoke wheel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
I really get agitated when i see small kids being taken on bikes. I mean some are made to sit on the fuel tank, some made to sit behind in the opposite direction and made to hold on to the grab rails. I understand many of these people cannot afford to buy a car, or even pay for an auto. But buses are always there and are safe. I hope some rules could be brought in to stop such dangerous practices.
No offence, but should children not be taken for rides on bikes?

Ours is a small city and we don't have City buses. Autos are expensive for short runs.

I have a two and half year old son who loves riding on the bike as much as I do. I keep him on the fuel tank since there is no other place where I can keep an eye on him.

Is there a ideal seating position for Children on two-wheelers?

India is a country where most of the populace have access only to 2 wheelers. It is sad to see that no manufacturer has tried a Child-safe feature on any two-wheelers.

Maybe its too much to expect from the manufacturers who don't even try to design vehicles keeping sari-clad women pillion riders in mind.

Last edited by KA18 : 15th June 2010 at 00:11.
Old 15th June 2010, 00:43   #8
BHPian

Why are we even having this discussion??? Small kids and toddlers on bikes are a big NO NO. But this is India remember the concept of BAJAJ family -- Father, son, mother, daughter doing acrobatics on one bike!!!
Old 15th June 2010, 01:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
even spokes would have broken her leg . maybe bike didnt have saree guard that prevents leg and sarees from going in .
Saree Guard is only on left side and works if woman is sitting sideways.

If you are sitting front facing your right leg has no protection.

For kids its very hard because the foot doesn't reach the footrest.
Old 15th June 2010, 02:28   #10
BHPian

Very tragic, but two points.
1. The alloy wheel is not the culprit, whatever the type of wheel, the leg can be entangled.
2. Saree gaurd is only present on one side.

The only thing i can say is the riders carrying small children should take more responsibility of the child and as it is i have never seen small children wearing helmets.
Old 15th June 2010, 05:11   #11
BHPian

ofcourse, a motorcycle is not meant for children. especially if the child is not secured by another adult. atleast for this issue a scooter might have helped but its all relative to your speed. .. oh and yes , Laws cannot prevent stupidity.
Old 15th June 2010, 08:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Sad Incident!
That's the primary reason that the Saree guards are mandatory on all bikes in India. For me, Indian Govt. should make it compulsory on both the sides to prevent such mishap's.
I'm very much pained by the news.
Not sure where this incident took place and how the incident happened (whether the legs got inbetween from right side).
No bike can be registered without saree guard - but these buggers remove the saree guard either themselves or with help of local repair wala.

Last edited by iamswift : 15th June 2010 at 08:56.
Old 15th June 2010, 08:56   #13
BHPian

Sad.
Alloy wheel to an extent is responsible (as compared to regular wheels).
The amount of space between the spokes of an alloy is typically much much more than what you see in regular wheels and hence the greater possibility of a child's leg getting stuck in.

With sarees, it doesnt matter.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
No offence, but should children not be taken for rides on bikes?

Ours is a small city and we don't have City buses. Autos are expensive for short runs.

I have a two and half year old son who loves riding on the bike as much as I do. I keep him on the fuel tank since there is no other place where I can keep an eye on him.
you got a helmet for your son? or are you just protecting your head, leaving his head exposed?

^your son would love to break window panes too, do you allow him that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Sad.
Alloy wheel to an extent is responsible (as compared to regular wheels).
The amount of space between the spokes of an alloy is typically much much more than what you see in regular wheels and hence the greater possibility of a child's leg getting stuck in.
Whether the leg gets stuck in alloy-ed as well as normal spoke wheels, the consequences shall remain the same.

^^I am laughing my head-off with the recommendations being made to make saree-guard compulsory,
can't you buy and fit one if it is so important for your lid-less pillion?:|

Saree-cald woman, children whose helmet size isn't available and can't place their feet comfortably on foot-pegs should NOT be allowed as pillions,
use cars/rickshaws/autos/buses for your commute,
what about them who can't afford a motorcycle? don't they travel?

^^Buy a scooty if you HAVE TO travel with female pillion/children as i know my rantings shall fall on deaf-ears

Last edited by Sheel : 15th June 2010 at 09:10.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:16   #15
BHPian

It is indeed sad to hear the condition of the child. I get irritated to no-end when I see mom, dad and 2 children on the 2 wheeler!! The kids are sandwiched between their parents and the moronic dad doesn't care to even use the RVMs and the indicator. I've seen even more reckless dads/uncles who hold on to the kid with one hand who is sitting on the tank!! I feel like giving them an earful, but most of the time, they get ahead of me or I'm scared that they might lose their concentration when I start telling them something :(

Most Viewed