Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 11:49   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Travelling long distances on a Motorcycle

Sooraj, an RE bike especially the 350 can ride all day at 80kmph.

If you want to continously be at speeds higher than that, I don't think it's the bike for this.

I compensate by riding with very very small breaks.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 12:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
.. Now the following are my concerns. I become impatient after riding for about a 100 km. My patience wears thin and I start whining (at myself) about reaching the destination and for setting out on any such endevours. Well, the route I took was from Kochi to Coimbatore. We have excellent straight roads from Kochi to Coimbatore. With excellent and straight roads, there's nothing left for a rider to do other than keeping himself from falling asleep. And at times I have felt that I am not GETTING ANYWHERE with the constant boring speed of 70kmph. 70 is pretty fast, I know but the boredom plays tricks and fool me into believing that I should go faster. With a bike that makes a greater fuss than my parents when I ride fast (I am talking about 90kmph now), the vibrations frustrates me and I slow down to 70 kmph. The stories of people who ride all the way from Kanyakumari to Kardung La are all over the place. How exactly do they get the patience to do the same? Or am I doing something wrong?....
I can actually relate with that feeling!! To avoid getting mowed down, there are a few things I do:

1. I very seldom let my thought wander. There are times when I start thinking about office, work, random things but the moment I get conscious of it, I just flush my mind.

2. To ensure I am not falling in trap of 1, I like doing a sanity check where I try and recollect what I did 1-2 min ago. I'll be honest and there have been occasions where I have no memory of riding 1-2 mins ago.

Whenever I fail the sanity check, I shake myself up, stretch my arms and legs or if it is extreme, take a bio break.

3. I have never felt comfortable going above 80 kph and however boring it gets, I make a point of never speeding to kill the boredom.

4. I don't know about others' opinion on this but I feel that energy drinks are a life saver. On long rides, I carry a can or two with me. There have been instances where this became critical. On side note, gulping down 500 ml odd of cola also helps in case energy drink is not available. There is some amount of caffeine in there and the sugar also gives some energy. Not to mention the water providing much needed hydration.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 13th June 2015 at 12:05.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 13:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
4. I don't know about others' opinion on this but I feel that energy drinks are a life saver. On long rides, I carry a can or two with me. There have been instances where this became critical. On side note, gulping down 500 ml odd of cola also helps in case energy drink is not available. There is some amount of caffeine in there and the sugar also gives some energy. Not to mention the water providing much needed hydration.
I disagree. Cold drinks dehydrate you faster. A can or two of Gatorade or Red bull may be ok but anymore and you'll get dehydrated soon. No idea why. Maybe the composition is such. It's always better drinking a packet of Electral/ORS mixed in water. I carry 2-3 packets of Electral with me all the time.
Divya Sharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 14:09   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I disagree. Cold drinks dehydrate you faster. A can or two of Gatorade or Red bull may be ok but anymore and you'll get dehydrated soon. No idea why. Maybe the composition is such. It's always better drinking a packet of Electral/ORS mixed in water. I carry 2-3 packets of Electral with me all the time.
Thanks for pointing that out. It is true that soft drinks / energy drinks are not the answer to dehydration. It was stupid of me to have made the statement. Electral has the necessary salts which body loses. However, Gatorade also has them so it should work similarly.

My only reason for recommending cold drinks was from the perspective of caffeine which cola (Pepsi / Coca-cola / Thums up) contains. Of course, caffeine does nothing to help a dehydrating body but it can serve to improve the attention levels.
Old 13th June 2015, 15:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
My only reason for recommending cold drinks was from the perspective of caffeine which cola (Pepsi / Coca-cola / Thums up) contains. Of course, caffeine does nothing to help a dehydrating body but it can serve to improve the attention levels.
The best way to stay attentive is to take rest. If your body is tired any kind of drink which has caffine will surely keep you attentive but as with any caffine drinks it is a short time surge and which also drops down pretty quick. Trust me the best thing is a good break! Tried and tested may i add?
raj981 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 17:09   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
The best way to stay attentive is to take rest. If your body is tired any kind of drink which has caffine will surely keep you attentive but as with any caffine drinks it is a short time surge and which also drops down pretty quick. Trust me the best thing is a good break! Tried and tested may i add?
+1 to that.
I've done a number of 150-160 kilometers a day, round trips on my good old XCD. And have done a 540 kilometer ride on a T-Bird (my first and last bull ride ) in 11 hours.
The best way to beat fatigue on motorcycle rides is, take short breaks after every hour, walk to that nearby road kilometer stone, do some neck and shoulder stretching workout, drink water and drive off. Works wonders.
Old 19th June 2015, 05:54   #82
BHPian

Well as per me, I think the best way is whenever you are going for a long ride- Do take ample rest & sleep before leaving. Plan your route and plan your stops. And take pit stops accordingly. Taking frequent stops - meaning getting off and on the Bike which also adds on to your fatigue factor. Whenever you stop make sure you take proper rest. Also I am against the energy drinks like Red Bull, V drink, etc. the best thing is to carry water and drink water if you have stopped for a small loo break or smoke break. Even at higher altitude sips of water regularly whenever you stop keeps you hydrated well and also avoids AMS.
Old 8th October 2015, 11:45   #83
BHPian

Nagpur -> Bangalore on 17yr old Rx135

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2015 at 13:31.
vabs78 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th October 2015, 12:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nagpur -> Bangalore on 17yr old Rx135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Hi All,

I bought the Rx135 4sp as my first bike in Oct 1998.
Hello vabs78

As an admirer of Yamaha 2 strokes, I am happy to read about your plan!

I myself have had quiet a few long rides on my RX135s and RXZ (as long as 650km in a day). Except once, I have never had a problem.

This is what I would suggest.

- Get to know about the condition of your bike. See if there is too much noise from the cylinder (piston slap, rings need replacement) or bottom end (crank bearing shot, too much play in the crank). If you are not sure, ask a trusted mechanic to check it.

- Get a complete service done.
  1. Replace transmission oil.
  2. Top up 2T oil.
  3. Replace spark plug.
  4. Replace air filter element.
  5. Check for any leaks from front forks or exhaust.
  6. Correct the tyre pressures to 1 - 2 PSi above recommended pressure by Yamaha.
  7. Check for condition of chain, adjust slack, clean and lubricate.
  8. Adjust brakes to your liking.
  9. Flush the fuel tank clean, and replace the fuel filter.
  10. Clean and tune the carburettor.
  11. Decarbonise the exhaust. I am assuming your bike has the old chrome exhaust - just ask your mech to remove the muffler and burn off the carbon deposits.
  12. Take a test ride and make sure you are comfortable.
  13. For safety, make sure you have both the rear view mirrors adjusted right, all lights and the horn in working order.

- These are the spares I would carry if I were you.
  • Spark plug - 1
  • Transmission oil (small bottle, for top-up)
  • 2T oil - two 1 litre bottles
  • A funnel, and a screw driver to open the side panel to fill 2T oil
  • Two clothes - one to clean up the possible mess after filling 2T oil, and a clean one to wipe your helmet visor
  • A spare headlamp bulb and tail-lamp bulb
  • One each of all cables - clutch, accelerator and front brake
  • A spare tube which can be used in either tyre
  • A basic tool kit (screwdriver - 1 of each type, spanners to open wheel nuts, plug spanner)
  • Check and replace battery if required

And as far as the riding is concerned, this is what I would suggest:
  • Ride moderately - no flat-out riding for more than a few minutes at a stretch, and no hard acceleration. From my experience, I feel that 60 - 65 km/hr could be the sweet spot for long highway rides on a stock 135 4 speed.
  • Be gentle with the bike and make sure it is running cool - you can easily feel it if you hold a palm near the cylinder head.
  • Ride defensively - I hope you have plenty of experience on Indian highways. As a biker, do remember that you are invisible to all other road users. At least they will act like you are. Never get too close to the rear-end of a truck or car. RX stock drum brakes are not exactly powerful.
  • Secure your luggage to the luggage carrier / rear seat to avoid back pain / fatigue.
  • Take hourly breaks, get off the bike, have water, relax. Do not push yourself. It is not worth the risk.
  • Keep a constant check on the 2T oil level.
  • Make sure you always ride with the fuel tap in ON position. The moment you go into RESERVE mode, stop and fill up at the next station (no matter how tempting it is to ride on). Assume a fuel efficiency of 25 kmpl.
  • As you plan to enter the Republic of Bangalore, make sure you have every single document in original with you (Driving License, Registration Certificate, Insurance Policy, Pollution Check Certificate, Toll receipts, Fuel bills and NOC if applicable) as you never know where the RTO will be waiting anxiously to extract the 15 year LTT out of you!
  • Carry enough cash with you, and store it separately.
  • Most importantly, wear proper riding gear!

Well, that is all I can think of. No experience on this particular stretch of highway, hence no comments on that. Ride safe and hope this helped in some way!

Do update your experience here after arrival.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Viju : 8th October 2015 at 12:43.
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 13:02   #85
BHPian

Re: Nagpur -> Bangalore on 17yr old Rx135

If I were you, i would add 100 ml of 2 T oil to the petrol tank. This may result in the bike smoking a bit, but shall keep the piston / piston rings in good health. Also, if possible, pour in a can of NULON in a full tank of petrol - this shall make it super smooth.

In addition, still some florecent tape to your helment, back of your jacket / shirt and to your sleeves (in the form of a ring), even if you are just going to do day time driving. Beleive me, the florecent tape shall capture your fellow drivers eye balls, thus making you more visible on the road

Bon voyage, drive safe
ALTIMAed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 15:53   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello vabs78

As an admirer of Yamaha 2 strokes, I am happy to read about your plan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
If I were you, i would add 100 ml of 2 T oil to the petrol tank. This may result in the bike smoking a bit, but shall keep the piston / piston rings in good health. Also, if possible, pour in a can of NULON in a full tank of petrol - this shall make it super smooth.

Bon voyage, drive safe
@Viju, @ALTIMAed, thanks a lot for your suggestions. They are very helpful for planning my trip.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:37   #87
BHPian

Another tip, when you stop at your pit stop, please do not immediately switch off the engine, let it idle for atleast 10 mins. This shall help the engine dissipate heat. I loved the RX 100, unfortunately it was too small for me, hence opted for the KB100 RTZ DELTA. On plain road acceleration, the Rx always beat me, but on the Agume ghats (I have done my engineering from MIT Manipal), no Rx could ever come close to me. The trick was to ride my KB at the correct gear and engine RPM to be in the maximum torque band.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 07:00   #88
BHPian

Help reqd - long distance touring odds and ends

This might be a deviation from the standard forum so mods please delete if you dont find applicable. After several multi day rides in the south I am about to embark on a north east tour in mid October. So thought Id ask everyone to pitch in with the odds and ends they think are useful on a long distance tour, especially the strange stuff which you normally would not think to take.
Sure I know that I need spark plug, headlight bulb etc ( I actually havent really found a comprehensive guide for this as well) but Im more looking for the off beat stuff based on everyones personal experiences. For example one friend told me to take a couple of big thick garbage bags so that in case there was a tear in any of the luggage it could be wrapped and made water proof.
Old 29th June 2016, 08:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help reqd - long distance touring odds and ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
This might be a deviation from the standard forum so mods please delete if you dont find applicable. After several multi day rides in the south I am about to embark on a north east tour in mid October. So thought Id ask everyone to pitch in with the odds and ends they think are useful on a long distance tour, especially the strange stuff which you normally would not think to take.
Sure I know that I need spark plug, headlight bulb etc ( I actually havent really found a comprehensive guide for this as well) but Im more looking for the off beat stuff based on everyones personal experiences. For example one friend told me to take a couple of big thick garbage bags so that in case there was a tear in any of the luggage it could be wrapped and made water proof.
https://www.team-bhp.com/safety/prep...dian-road-trip

for starters, here's a decade old uber exhaustive checklist of mine I am simply dumping here for your reference - things may have changed:
  1. Original and xerox of you papers, license and PUC.
  2. Tool kit + puncture kit
  3. First aid kit medicines
  4. Jumper wires
  5. Foot pump
  6. Clutch and Accelerator wires.
  7. Clutch and front break leavers.
  8. Headlight and break light bulbs.
  9. Spark plug.
  10. Engine oil.
  11. Disk brake oil.
  12. Buy new dual-sport / off-road tyres
  13. Cramsters
  14. Cigarette lighter attachment on bike
  15. Fuses (10 amp)
  16. Drum brake spring.
  17. Duplicate keys of bike
  18. Warm woolen and inners.
  19. 2L bottles for petrol!
  20. At least 2 liters of water.
  21. Canned food, dry fruits, biscuits etc.
  22. Torch light, lighter, matchstick, candles etc.
  23. Camera.
  24. Waterproof bag or a plastic sheet to cover you bags.
  25. Ankle high shoes (Woodland etc. )
  26. Protective gloves.
  27. Muffler, Goggles & Ear Plugs.
  28. Cash (After Mandi, only Leh)
  29. Airtel postpaid, with mobile charger
  30. In case of Emergency contacts.
  31. Printout of Maps
  32. Old newspapers as heat insulation
  33. Clutch Yoke/lever
  34. Balaclava
  35. Riding Jacket
  36. Knee Pads (Roller Skates)
  37. Wind cheater
  38. Toilet paper
  39. Spare bungee cords
  40. Mseal in case of fall, tank may start leaking
  41. Duct Tape (tieing bags or fairing)
  42. Swiss knife
  43. Sunblock 50spf
  44. White washing soap
  45. Allen key
  46. clutch plates
  47. Gasket seal / suzuki bond
  48. Rope
  49. chain lock
  50. fix spanners 8 to 22
  51. ring spanner(available one)12-13,14-15,20-22
  52. Pliers
  53. Screw Driver set
  54. small plastic tube to suck fuel out of other bikes or trucks
My list of medicines (per the doctor friends then - I carried less than 50% of them being as disorganized as I was, back then) for the LEH trip:
1. Diamox (Acetazolamide) - Useful as a prophylactic for acute mountain sickness (AMS) and as an aid to acclimatization. Not required if you're staying below 3500m mostly (as a broad rule of thumb).
2. Nicardia (Nifedipine) – Only in case of emergencies if HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema) is suspected
3. Okacet – Antihistamine (for allergies)
4. Crocin Pain Relief (Paracetamol) – Relief from pain/ache and fever
5. Brufen 400mg – Relief from mild to severe body pain
6. Voveran SR 100mg – Relief from severe pain
7. Coldact – Relief from Cold
8. Karvol Plus – Nasal decongestant (ayurvedic Inhalent – Not to be shared)
9. Avomine – Relief from Dizziness, Motion Sickness and Vomiting
10. Digene – Relief from Flatulence, Indigestion, acidity (mild)
11. Sooktyn – Relief from Flatulence/Indigestion/Acidity (mild to severe)
12. Zinetac 150mg – Acidity or gastric problems (only if severe)
13. Entroquinol – Relief from Loose motion (mild)
14. Eldoper – Relief from Loose motion (severe)
15. Genticyn 5ml – Eye and ear drops for relief from irritation
16. Streptsils Lozenges – Chewable tablets for relief from sore throat
17. Solvin – Expectorant and Decongestant (only if severe)
18. Digital Thermometer
19. Dispovan Syringes & needles – Pair each of 2cc & 5cc syringes and hypodermic needles
20. Latex Gloves – 2 pairs. Self-explanatory, Multi-purpose
21. Scissors & Tweezers
22. Cotton wool – 1 medium
23. Bandage Gauze – 5 (various sizes)
24. Micropore Paper plaster
25. Crepe Bandage – 2 (for fractures)
26. Belladonna bandage sheets – 2 (for sprains)
27. J&J Band-Aid FastHeal Washproof – Long, Square and circle patches
28. Voveran Thermagel – Ointment for sprains/muscular fatigue
29. Burnol – Antiseptic ointment (for Burns)
30. Betadine – Antiseptic Ointment for wounds and scratches
31. Candid B – Anti-fungal, Anti-bacterial Ointment for topical application (esp. skin rashes)
32. Healex Spray or equivalent Mediderma – Aerosol spray dressing for fresh wounds
33. Relispray – Ayurvedic spray for sprains and aches
34. Dettol Antiseptic Liquid – 50ml
35. Water purification tablets – mild concentration
36. Vicks/Amrutanjan Inhaler (Not to be shared)
37. Vaseline/Himalaya Lip guard (Not to be shared)

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th June 2016 at 08:34.
phamilyman is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 09:44   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help reqd - long distance touring odds and ends

Phamilyman, A rider then needs to hire a truck to carry all that along for his riding trip

Jokes apart, it's good if you can carry as many items from that list as possible but, that list is made for car trips and in reality it's just not possible to carry all of them on a motorcycle trip.

IMHO, on a motorcycle trip, following basics should be carried :

1. License and Vehicle documents
2. Enough cash/credit card
3. Basic medicines for fever, cold, cough etc.
4. Puncture kit (if trip is on some unknown terrains of country)
5. Hydration kit (drinking water regular on rides is very important to keep the focus)
6. Carry some woolens if riding in cold conditions
7. Duplicate keys of the motorcycle

I think anything more than above is a "Good-to-carry" list

Finally, most important thing to carry is the right attitude of "Riding Safe and Enjoying the Journey"
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks