Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 02:48   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
When do you guys use these ? .I mean daily use / touring /track blast ? Off course you cannot use them daily . If you use , how will you guys walk .
One can wear some of these for daily use. After the first month of breaking in, I can totally wear (something like A* SMX5 vented boots) them under jeans and walk too. They do not breathe well like sneakers, and walking in these boots on a hot summer day, means stinky sweaty socks and feet, but I can walk for sure.

That said, I take my boots off after reaching work, and get into a more comfortable slip ons/loafers.

General rant about safety (not a reply to you):
If you are riding at 80+ kmph, its wise to get boots you can afford, that covers the ankle. On my safety priority list, it is 1. Helmet, 2. Jacket (to cover the spine), 3. Gloves, 4. Boots, 5. Jeans with inserts/riding pants with armour. 6. Ear plugs 7. Sun glasses. My friends make fun of me, saying I sound like a scared chicken. But hey - I understand I engage in a hobby that has inherent risks. The risk needs to be managed in a way its safe, and still fun.
Old 16th September 2010, 02:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
If you are riding at 80+ kmph, its wise to get boots you can afford, that covers the ankle. On my safety priority list, it is 1. Helmet, 2. Jacket (to cover the spine), 3. Gloves, 4. Boots, 5. Jeans with inserts/riding pants with armour. 6. Ear plugs 7. Sun glasses. My friends make fun of me, saying I sound like a scared chicken. But hey - I understand I engage in a hobby that has inherent risks. The risk needs to be managed in a way its safe, and still fun.
Well said i agree with you 101%
Old 16th September 2010, 12:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
One can wear some of these for daily use. After the first month of breaking in, I can totally wear (something like A* SMX5 vented boots) them under jeans and walk too. They do not breathe well like sneakers, and walking in these boots on a hot summer day, means stinky sweaty socks and feet, but I can walk for sure.

That said, I take my boots off after reaching work, and get into a more comfortable slip ons/loafers.

Totally agree.

But most of them totally missing one crucial safety point .The chest .
The the ribs can be broken inside and puncture the lungs and the person can pass out in minutes without anybody knowing what happened .

Remember Rtech ? , sankar ? .This was exactly what happened IRC .

I am still hunting at a good chest protector .

I was indicating more of , wearing something that you can wear day in and out (even if it looks ugly and does not have a brand ) . It need not be A* itself or some xyz brand ,as long it is comfortable . That's where my money goes . Most of the time , the brand eats up the money .
Old 16th September 2010, 13:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:

I was indicating more of , wearing something that you can wear day in and out (even if it looks ugly and does not have a brand ) . It need not be A* itself or some xyz brand ,as long it is comfortable . That's where my money goes . Most of the time , the brand eats up the money .
for chest protectors look for moto cross gear from companies such as fox or thor. there's a few more out there but these two companies should have something you're looking for. again, don't know what availability will be like over there....
Old 16th September 2010, 22:02   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Totally agree.
The the ribs can be broken inside and puncture the lungs and the person can pass out in minutes without anybody knowing what happened .
Good point. Chest is not covered by street gear as well as back/elbows. The armor on street gear is to absorb the impact of crash. Its relatively unlikely that one would land on their chest, human instinct takes over and the elbow/knees/back would go down. A good leather or kevlar jacket should resist any incision, from shrubs, roadside debris, etc. When one crashes on the streets, the recommendation is to not let hands and legs flap around but to get into fetal position and slide on the back, or let the stronger bones take the impact.

On street gear, I think the chest is left relatively exposed to accommodate for the crouched riding position of street bikes.
Old 17th September 2010, 01:51   #21
BHPian

The rule when it comes to gear is to buy the best you can afford. I would stay away from Joe Rocket though, I've seen some after crashes. Definitely not impressive. Please remember the gear is for when you crash and not when you are riding around safely. I personally use Sidi boots and they are excellent. I also use Knox Kevlar Back Protector in addition to the single piece suite, gloves, helmet etc. The confidence these inspire is fantastic.

My motto - AGATT - All Gear All The Time. I don't care if its 90 F outside, I still wear them. There simply is no price for safety. Like I said before, "its better to sweat than bleed". I would think its even more important in India with the driving habits there.
Attached Thumbnails
Alpinestar vs Sidi vs RJays (Riding Boots)-duc_12.jpg  

Last edited by VLOCT : 17th September 2010 at 01:54.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

Isn't Joe Rocket the no.1 gear in US?
Why the apprehension? anything in particular?

I am a sucker for berik's logo. it looks too awesome. sad that Reuben Xaus isn't sporting them any more, though Loris does, still.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Isn't Joe Rocket the no.1 gear in US?
Why the apprehension? anything in particular?
although joe rocket is a big name in north america i wouldn't say it's the number one brand. there are other big names with a significant market share as well.

i do own a single joe rocket jacket and am happy with it so far. i can't say i've tested it's limits and knock on wood, hopefully i never have to but i use it for quick jaunts around town. if i know i'm going to be riding a bit further or longer or even in a bit cooler weather i wear my belstaff. you can tell there is a huge difference. it's a well thought out jacket vs. dare i say "poser" style jacket the joe rocket is.

i'll admit the only reason i bought it was because it was the jordan racing team replica and a friend of mine worked for the distributor so the cost couldn't be beat.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
although joe rocket is a big name in north america i wouldn't say it's the number one brand. there are other big names with a significant market share as well.

i do own a single joe rocket jacket and am happy with it so far. i can't say i've tested it's limits and knock on wood, hopefully i never have to but i use it for quick jaunts around town. if i know i'm going to be riding a bit further or longer or even in a bit cooler weather i wear my belstaff. you can tell there is a huge difference. it's a well thought out jacket vs. dare i say "poser" style jacket the joe rocket is.

i'll admit the only reason i bought it was because it was the jordan racing team replica and a friend of mine worked for the distributor so the cost couldn't be beat.
What would you guys suggest then?
I had a budget for Alpinestars too, but thought it would be wise to buy a JR as it would be cheaper and provide the same safety.(both CE approved)
I have this jacket-- JoeRocket.com
and riding pants are-- JoeRocket.com
Hope it would save me in case of a road rash.
Old 18th September 2010, 15:55   #25
BHPian

I've had (still do, in fact) a jacket each from RJays & Astars, trousers from Astars, gloves from Astars and boots from Joe Rocket and Astars. All said & done - and this is purely my personal opinion based on what I have bought over the years - with brands like Alpinestars, you do get quality that you pay for. This is not to belittle the quality of the other brands but more a testimonial to the fact that I have not regretted any Astars purchase and their longevity after use is impressive.

Specifically, with regard to the Joe Rocket boots, I just thought they didn't hold out very well after one ride to Ladakh, compared to the Astars Webgoretex boots my buddy had. Nothing went wrong with them but they just look relatively more worn from the trip. Separately, I have been very impressed with Astars' attention to detail in design.

I have had no experience with Sidi.

When it comes to gear, I would agree with the notion of buying the best that is affordable.

Another member made the point about 'off-roading' boots and their need. If your primary need is for touring, then all these brands would also have touring boots, including waterproof ones. You could look up their websites for details. The Astars Webgoretex boots i mentioned are waterproof touring boots that cost around 14-15k.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ravi.
Old 18th September 2010, 16:47   #26
BHPian

RJays are an Australian company, very popular there, as they are quite cheap. Have not seen them anywhere else though.

AStars are the best quality, which is why they are the most expensive. I have a pair of MX4's, and they have lasted 2 years of riding and still look new. I lowsided once in them, and they definitely saved me from a month in crutches.

SIDI is a good brand, but their boots are generally very 'ornate', at least for me.

Buy the best you can afford, it could save your skin one day. Not only that, they will outlast the less expensive brands like Joe Rocket etc.

Bottomline line is any protection you can afford is better than no protection.
Old 18th September 2010, 19:56   #27
BHPian

Finally ordered Sidi B-2 Gore-Tex, lets see, expected delivery is around one week to 10 days.
Old 1st October 2010, 10:54   #28
BHPian

Got myself Joe Rockets

I realized that there are no Boots available of my size in the country All boots are available are UK 7 size and above, where as i need UK 6, damn my foot is too small :(

Finaly bought a Joe Rocket Super Street boots, with UK 7 size which arrived yesterday, bought it from Pit Stop, Nagpur. Not made for my feet, but after adding addional strips (i dont know what you call it, usually made of rubber or rough material and placed in shoe) it seem to work better.

Going for the ride over the weekend, will post further details. Attaching pics:

Alpinestar vs Sidi vs RJays (Riding Boots)-328_super_street_boot.jpg

Alpinestar vs Sidi vs RJays (Riding Boots)-329_super_street_boot2.jpg

Alpinestar vs Sidi vs RJays (Riding Boots)-330_super_street_boot3.jpg
Old 12th October 2010, 12:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys please help me decide between the below two brand of boots. I am looking for waterproof boots (since i cant invest in 2 pairs, i'd rather just buy a waterproof pair).

RJays H2O Boots

JoeRocket.com

RJays cost around 5.9k and JR's cost 8k.

Was initially inclined towards JR but i feel RJyas offers better protection than the JR (see features).
Old 12th October 2010, 19:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree.

Remember Rtech ? , sankar ? .This was exactly what happened IRC .

what do you think of this on ebay?

Motorcycle Full BODY ARMOR Street Motocross Shirt MX~XL: eBay Motors (item 310237854893 end time Oct-28-10 19:54:57 PDT)

Alpinestar vs Sidi vs RJays (Riding Boots)-277492584_o.jpg
Alpinestar vs Sidi vs RJays (Riding Boots)-277492858_o.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks