Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 10:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emergency driving - Without brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In those situations, I'd jump out of the car. Not much to loose!

You need a lot of practice to jump out of a running car. I am going to start the practice today, wish me luck!
Old 14th September 2011, 19:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to start the practice today
I hope you have some beginner's luck, else you might not get to your second practice session!

In that movie-scene heading for a cliff edge, one way or another, I guess ... we are going to die!
Old 14th September 2011, 19:51   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
WOW that's a first one. If that is happening do check the brake circuit for leaks. One do you need to top up brake fluid? Two with car stationary and engine on apply full brakes and hold the pressure. Does the pedal slowly sink down?

I do not think it will but just for peace of mind.

Brakes becoming soft and not engaging when vacuum is finished....hmmmm...any one who can explain this???
On the above regarding point no2 not sure what should happen the break pedal sink slowly or should it hold up?
Old 15th September 2011, 10:23   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

The brake pedal should firm up and hold. If it keeps sinking slowly under pressure there is a leak in the circuit. To check for the leak look under the car for spill and also inspect joints and cylinder connections while another person keeps the brake pedal pressed.

A leaking master cylinder is not likely to show external leaks. But the symptoms are same - sinking brake pedal.

Also if there is a leak you will notice brake fluid reservoir loosing oil. However if there is a sealing ring/bush that is leaking you will not get any oil level reduction.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 11:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

A soft brake pedal can indicate
. a small leak. If so the level of brake fluid in the holding tank will keep going down, even if you keep refilling it.
. It can also indicate water and air intrusion in the circuit. If that is so, pumping the brakes for some time will return the firmness.

Either way it is bad news, get it checked and rectified immediately.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:53   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Water air intrusion is really a accident waiting to happen. Best is get complete system drained and dried before refilling with brake oil. Work for experienced garage only. Do not assume temporary firm pedal is end of problem.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:52   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Water air intrusion is really a accident waiting to happen. Best is get complete system drained and dried before refilling with brake oil. Work for experienced garage only. Do not assume temporary firm pedal is end of problem.
+10 - The Brake fluid is hygroscopic in nature - The fluid is not to be exposed to atmosphere as it will attract moisture!
Old 15th September 2011, 18:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Normally MUL cars recommend a brake oil change every 50-60K km. But if the vehicle is driven in very hot or very humid conditions the interval should be reduced to say 40K or even 30K km. This is due to the fact that at high temparature the oil may absorb more water. Same is the case for high humidity areas.

Along with the brake oil, all rubber parts in the system should be changed. This is apart from checking the clearances of all the cylinders and pistons, replacing them if the fit is loose, at regular interval.

This is one of the reasons for high service costs of the premium brands. They change the brake components at shorter intervals, much before the components should be replaced, simply to avoid any chance of failure. In one of the discovery programs, they revealed that periodic service cost of a Ferrari was UK Pound 5K and that of the MacLaren UK Pound 20K+, most of it for brakes and oil. (And here we are cribbing on the service costs of a Mercedes, chicken feed!)

If brakes were maintained properly, there would be no need for discussion on this thread!
Old 21st September 2013, 19:23   #84
BHPian

One thing I would like to add is to make sure that everyone is buckled up or is at least attempting to buckle up, during any of the above maneuvers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks