Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:41   #1
BHPian

SUVs safer than sedans? Edit: evironmental impact discussions too

SUV,s are safer than Cars ??

My question is how many of us really look at the safety aspect of cars. On the road we see what is a flock of sheep running . No rules no regulations no regard for others . In this senario what do you preffer a SUV that every body stays away from or a sleek car that you feel like every one wants to kiss from all sides. So the rule is "Size dose matter" ??

Rajnish
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Actually, findings the world over have revealed the SUVs are less safe than cars, both for occupants as well as pedestrians.

SUV topple more easily, have less grip and a higher center of gravity than cars. in case of emergency situations, they change lanes/swerve slower than cars and braking idstances are greater than cars.

Thus there is only a perception that SUVs are safer becuse of hteir size. In fact, modern cars with their moncoque structures, ABS, and airbags are much safer than SUVs.
Old 22nd February 2006, 13:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

himanshu, i can't say about an SUV. But, i can say about doorless Mahindra jeeps.

3 months back ,i met with a freak accident and totalled a Mahindra jeep.
No seatbelts, no doors, no impact-beams, etc...

I ended up with 4 stitches in my left hand, a swollen forehead and leg.

I still can't understand how I was saved. Is it GOD??
Old 22nd February 2006, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish
SUV,s are safer than Cars ??

My question is how many of us really look at the safety aspect of cars. On the road we see what is a flock of sheep running . No rules no regulations no regard for others . In this senario what do you preffer a SUV that every body stays away from or a sleek car that you feel like every one wants to kiss from all sides. So the rule is "Size dose matter" ??
Rajnish
I guess it would be useful to clarify whether we are talking about city or the highways. If in the city, any car is safe (compared to riding a bike) due to the low speeds at which collisions could take place and generally the volume of traffic. OK, the car could get dented/ scratched whatever,
but with just seat belts on, any car would be safe.

On the highways, it is an entirely different matter. Now, the issues (toppling, instability etc) with SUVs come into play. Speeds are higher,
people take more risks and thus collisions can be fatal. Here, what would matter more than whether it is an SUV or car is the safety mechanisms available like ABS, impact beams, seat belts, airbags, crumple zones etc etc.
Old 22nd February 2006, 14:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

Now thats an interesting one! Hmmm... it depends on the perspective. From the way you are looking at it I am sure you find SUVs "safer". Yes people do think twice before coming too close to a hulk of a vehicle. Even if you get into a head-on or may be topple over and had your safety gears on probably you will have a little better chances of faring ok physically. But this is where the buck stops. The other side of the story is that available data proves that the chances of a head-on because of poor braking, the vehicle topplig over after fish tailing etc. rises alarmingly when it is a SUV.

So while you may fare better physically in a SUV when in collision you have to chose whether just that much is an incentive enough for you to chose a vehicle that may have an alarmingly higher chance of getting into such sticky situations in the first place.

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd February 2006 at 14:06.
Old 22nd February 2006, 14:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Only Indian SUV's are like this. Take the Scorpio as an example. It might be good and sturdy at slow speeds, but once u go above 100kmph and so a sudden bit of breaking or steering, u'll know what i'm talking abt.

But on the other hand, take the Porsche Cayenne..it's more stable than some of the indian cars and can do pretty much everything cars can without any hassels.
Old 22nd February 2006, 14:59   #7
BHPian

Assumming all collisions are at high speeds.
Usually for head on collision, higher you sit, safer you are. So, if you are in an SUV and collide with a lower sedan, your chance of survival is much higher than those are in sedan.
As everyone said, because of SUV's higher center of gravity, they have a tendency to topple if hit from a side.
Low height cars usually don't topple (unless hit at very high speed) but because of their low height, often collision with trucks (or similar), they go under truck chassis and thus passengers get hurt seriously.
In general, yes, SUVs are normally safer than most sedans.
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Assumming all collisions are at high speeds.
Usually for head on collision, higher you sit, safer you are. So, if you are in an SUV and collide with a lower sedan, your chance of survival is much higher than those are in sedan..
While the reverse is true for those in the sedan. Studies have shown that a collision between an SUV and a sedan is more lethal for the sedan's passengers than if instead of an SUV, it collided with another sedan.
study

We normally restrict the concept of "how safe a vehicle is" to only those inside the vehicle, without sparing a thought for those outside the vehicle. Europe is seeing more snub nosed cars (which are fortunately filtering across to other markets) primarily to make them safer for the pedestrians.

Before we even start to discuss what vehicle is safer and what isnt, first decide whose safety we are talking about. Are we concerned only about those sitting inside the big SUV or shall we spare a thought for those outside the SUV who have an equal right to be on that road?
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Before we even start to discuss what vehicle is safer and what isnt, first decide whose safety we are talking about. Are we concerned only about those sitting inside the big SUV or shall we spare a thought for those outside the SUV who have an equal right to be on that road?
Well, unless they are on a pedestrian crossing and that too only when permissible to cross, they have no right to be on the road.

I guess the thread is quite clear about whose safety is being debated. The safety of the car / SUV user is under discussion.
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I guess the thread is quite clear about whose safety is being debated. The safety of the car / SUV user is under discussion.
I wasnt talking only about pedestrian safety in my post. The safety of the passengers in a vehicle that an SUV hits should not be considered? An accident involving a sedan and an SUV is more dangerous than an accident involving that sedan with another sedan that weighs the same as the SUV. Would you still consider SUV to be "in general" a safer vehicle?
Old 23rd February 2006, 11:48   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the responce. While driving on the highway even in a Accord and if a big truck crosses from the side and you look at the tyre from the left window. Man it scared the hell out of you . But at the same time if you are driving a scorpio or even a Sumo you feel like you do have a chance of surviving .
Well I think in a country like india you will be safer in a SUV than a sedan specially like a Esteem of a Ikon.
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

SUV's are not really safer than sedans, people generally think since SUV's are big the people inside it are safer but i think some times they are more at risk in some accidents in high speeds as one can lose control in an SUV easily than in a sedan. Also SUV's are not safe in terms of pedestrian safety.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:33   #13
BANNED

Safe Road Travel: Sedan or SUV??

Recently a pair of Ford Ikons completed an all India drive of around 29000.00kms on all sorts of roads.
People have been to places like Leh in their cars.
SUVs are eagerly sought after as means of safe all road travel, yet cars seem to do all roading pretty efficiently.

What does Team BHP Think?
Old 18th August 2009, 13:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The concept that an SUV is safer for its passengers than a sedan, is all in the mind. As to the ability of sedans and hatches to go now where only 4x4s and SUVs could earlier, that is mainly thanks to the radically improved road infrastructure available in India now.

When going to Leh in a sedan vs. an SUV, the toll taken by that terrain on sedans is higher on sedans than on SUVs. Twenty years ago, a sedan would not have made the trip at all. Ten years from now, going to Leh woud be an extended weekend drive during some months of the year.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

+1 to all the above.

And let's realize most people here buy SUVs which would fail in the really bad conditions (requiring 4WD/skilled driving) - they buy 2WD machines!

Most Viewed