Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 13:15   #14986
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

If the map is accurate, this isn't a blind spot so there's no way the driver couldn't have spotted the train in advance.

Tragic, but looks like the driver wasn't aware of double-crank protection on his car, and didn't consider abandoning his stalled car until it was too late. Either way, why risk your life in the first place to save a minute or two trying to beat a train across a crossing?

Totally avoidable loss of life and a lesson to all of us to pay attention to the user manual. One sentence or diagram on some random page may save or cost us our lives, as it did for this driver. If only........
Old 7th February 2014, 14:55   #14987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The Punto accident is pretty disturbing. 15 day old car and stalled? What could be the reason?

After all, this guy wasnt as lucky as the green Palio accident under similar circumstances in Bangalore some decade ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...lio-palio.html

My guess- new to driving and confusion when he stalled and saw the train approaching and forgetting about the double crank feature even if he knew it.

The Palio case was different since there was a a low speed limit for trains back then on that line, so the damage was limited compared to this and no lives lost.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 19:44   #14988
BHPian

My sister brought this to my attention, a Bolero was hit by Anand Vihar- Kathgodam Shatabdi Express in an unmanned railway crossing today morning.

There were ten occupants in the car and seven people died on the spot. Three people are critically injured and the two injured are small kids who lost their parents in this accident.

The family was from a remote village Matkhera which is near Bilaspur in Distt: Rampur of Uttar Pradesh.

Attached are the pictures that I have received,

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-4.jpg
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 00:31   #14989
Senior - BHPian

I cld notice the gear lever in 2 or 4th, may be driver was playing chicken with train in 2nd... Sad pics :(
Old 8th February 2014, 13:51   #14990
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, I really feel sorry for the owner who had to face this unfortunate accident with a new Swift which did not even have the permanent registration. Saw this car at Vipul Motor's body shop in Sector 3 Noida today morning when I went to give my Esteem for the paint job.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0544.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0545.jpg
OT: How can any insurance company ask for the original driving license to be kept with them till the claim is passed? Today all the original documents of my car were taken by the A.S.C on pretext of verification. I had to literally scold the manager and take my license back because I have to drive my other car too so in no ways I can give them the original license for 4-5 days. Please educate me on the same.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 15:28   #14991
BHPian

No pictures But there was a Huge Traffic Jam on NH 24 Delhi Side at 4AM. A toyota fortuner driven at high speed had jumped the footpath and toppled over the embankment. The thing was so heavy that there were 2 tow trucks trying to pull the thing up.

there was another Wreck outside Shalimar Bagh RBI Colony Flats. Apparently, one side of the road was blocked by the Police and an i20 driven at high speeds rammed into another car and both were written off by the impact. There was broken metal and glas shards strewn all over the road
Old 9th February 2014, 12:09   #14992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
The single important cause for all those right turn accidents was that none of the vehicles that came for the turn stopped and looked and waited for the right gap in the opposing traffic.

Quite simply nobody and I repeat nobody in this country (except me of course :-) ) knows how to take a right turn.

This is but another example of how lax our driver training and licensing is. I hold the licencing authorities to be the prime responsible entity for all these deaths on Indian roads.
The video is a good attempt to bring in more awareness to the masses.
However it only shows the mistakes and not what the correct way to do it.

They should take it a step further and show how such situations should be handled the right way (by using some animated illustrations for example). That way people not only get to know what is wrong but how to act the right way.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th February 2014 at 12:10.
Old 10th February 2014, 17:31   #14993

Moderator note: Post Edited to remove [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Today when I was going to pick up my daughterat around 1 pm at Sarjapur road / Koramangala 80 feet junction signal Koramangala 1st block (opp police public school), an empty bus of NPS school bearing number KA 01 C 5359 hit my car from the left side. He was trying to overtake from the left at the signal and suddenly saw a vehicle was parked in front due to which he cuts towards the right resulting in the rear of his vehicle hitting my car. While the damage was minimal (left indicator broken) what peeved me off is the fact that a school bus overtakes from the left and he does not stop the vehicle and continues to drive. Next I call the school whose number is on the side of the bus at 080 25705172 the school says we have outsourced the contract to SAM travels and gives me the number 9632779494 saying he is the coordinator and says the school is not responsible. I call the number at 1:15pm or so he says he will get find out and get back to me. I call him back at 2:00pm he says he is still trying to find out who is driving the bus and which school the bus is from. He has no clue who is the driver and is still trying to find out. I tried calling him again at 5 he is not picking up the phone.

I put a post on BTP facebook they responded promptly with give a written complaint to adugodi police station which i guess is right, then again what is the use if i go there all that will happen is some bribegiving the damage is less i think should cost me maybe 2k the worst part is I have a 50% ncb no accidents in last 12 years. so if i claim i lose the ncb which i plan to use on my next car.

The scary part is the school bus hits and runs away the school responds they are not responsible.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02142.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th February 2014 at 18:11. Reason: Post Edited to remove [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors.
vipinshetty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 18:49   #14994
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinshetty View Post
I put a post on BTP facebook they responded promptly with give a written complaint to adugodi police station which i guess is right, then again what is the use if i go there all that will happen is some bribegiving the damage is less i think should cost me maybe 2k the worst part is I have a 50% ncb no accidents in last 12 years. so if i claim i lose the ncb which i plan to use on my next car. The scary part is the school bus hits and runs away the school responds they are not responsible.
Please provide written complaint. Unless we complain, no use in blaming police or even the driver, as he thinks it was okay. I always ensure that I do complain formally, if I need to correct. One example, silk board junction towards marathhalli used to be a mess. It took 4 of us complaining regularly to fix the issue with bad parking of private and batch buses. Now in last one month, at least most of the time, I see it is better.
manjubp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 19:21   #14995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The scary part is the school bus hits and runs away the school responds they are not responsible.
Hello Vipin,
Thank god that you are safe and hale. I would like to inform you about an incident that happened not so long ago.
About 3-4 months ago, a child died in the Outreach school campus on BTS road, Shanthinagar, when a school bus ran over. The school called for a Parents meeting later that week and informed the parents about school buses being outsourced and the management was only helping by allowing them to park in their premises for boarding the buses safely instead of using road for parking. It speaks for the callous attitude of the school and the transport operator who fled from the city.
If a management can wash off its hands for a death of a child, I see nothing wrong with the answer of the school management in your post.
A hue and cry was made at that time and now everything is back to normal. One of my friends child who was near the accident scene was traumatized and took weeks to recover from it. It would be much more difficult for the parents of that unfortunate child.
At least in your case, the damages can be mended and not so costly.
unk9ja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 19:36   #14996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crashed Honda City on NICE road, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Most of these crashes could have been avoided if the drivers on the fast lane had slowed down when approaching this intersection on a curve . Same with the drivers entering the highway . A mild tab on the brake pedal and some common sense could have avoided all these crashes
+1 to your views. Any sane driver would have done that. But I'd also blame the NHAI for placing the right turn on such a steep curve.

Imagine a case of a careful driver who stops and tries to look left for oncoming traffic before crossing. The curve on the highway, together with his car's B pillar or co-passenger, will restrict his view to a large extent. So even if he starts crawling across, one never knows if there are speeding vehicles approaching, and on what lane.

Last edited by vnabhi : 10th February 2014 at 19:37.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 16:57   #14997
BHPian

16 people lost their lives when a bolero collided with a fully loaded lorry in the early hours today on NH34 in Maldaha, West Bengal. According to reports published in vernacular daily, the bolero was overloaded with 16 people who were returning to their village after attending a marriage function( that continued till late night). Allegedly, the driver of the bolero was drunk. the section of NH34 where this accident occurred is a 4 lane divided highway. The bolero was being driven in the opposite lane in high speed when it crashed head-on to the lorry. All 16 passengers in the Bolero perished unfortunately.

Source : link

Overloaded car, drunk driver, high speed, wrong lane : looks like they were on a suicide mission. My sympathy to the grief-stricken families of the deceased.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11sironam11.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11sironam12.jpg  

Old 11th February 2014, 18:18   #14998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am one who feels school buses and water tankers are the worst driven in Bangalore, schools response though unfortunate is not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Overloaded car, drunk driver, high speed, wrong lane : looks like they were on a suicide mission. My sympathy to the grief-stricken families of the deceased.
My thought goes to the truck driver, suffering due to moronic behavior of others.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 18:33   #14999
BHPian

Quote:
16 people lost their lives when a bolero collided with a fully loaded lorry in the early hours today on NH34 in Maldaha, West Bengal.
It's tough not to feel sad for loss of so many innocent lives. Victims also included a few children who had promising lives ahead.

I fail to understand people's misplaced perception of risk. The driver clearly did not perceive it a grave risk to be driving on the wrong side.

Let alone remote parts of the country, I see many driving with gay abandon while pulling off very risky stunts on Mumbai roads.

Last edited by Gotham_City : 11th February 2014 at 18:35.
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 19:23   #15000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. The bolero was being driven in the opposite lane in high speed when it crashed head-on to the lorry. All 16 passengers in the Bolero perished unfortunately..
It was T-Boned, not a head on..
The truck has its front lower crash bumper intact... Truck driver has no hand in this mess, poor guy cant sleep for few months seeing so many fatalities :(

Most Viewed