Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 19:29   #15406
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The tyre seems to come flying from nowhere. Would have been fatal if it had hit the windshield. Was the car by chance a Suzuki Swift?(Going by the looks of the grill)

Last edited by 100kmph : 21st May 2014 at 19:31.
Old 21st May 2014, 19:37   #15407
Distinguished - BHPian

RIP Minister and other...but an uncharitable thought "Probably the ministers driver was used to "cowing" every one out of the way by using siren and red beacons."

Have seen some idiot VIP drivers use sirens to clear path when there is absolute am too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
Was the car by chance a Suzuki Swift?(Going by the looks of the grill)
The traffic on right side of road suggest some other country

Last edited by sudev : 21st May 2014 at 19:39.
Old 21st May 2014, 20:56   #15408
BHPian

Quote:
Was the car by chance a Suzuki Swift?(Going by the looks of the grill)
No, this is certainly not India.

1. People driving on Right side
2. Quality of road
3. Their spoken language

I do sometimes wonder what if this happens when I driving.
Old 21st May 2014, 21:26   #15409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Witnessed an i10 catching fire on the Adyar to Madhya Kailash road in Chennai last night. I see this car parked on the side, all doors open with smoke pouring out from the insides and in no time flames start blazing out of the bonnet (near the windshield). Was quite scary to see the car just catch fire like that. Wonder what caused it.

The occupants were out and I don't think anyone was injured, since all the doors were opened.
Hey i pased it around the same time as well ~9:50pm. I passed it before any flames engulfed the car i.e a few seconds ahead of you. People had gotten out, were throwing buckets of water on it, but smoke was coming out and few people were making calls (HMIL/police, I presume). Did you see any further information in the papers? It was a really scary sight man.
Old 21st May 2014, 21:34   #15410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post

I do sometimes wonder what if this happens when I am driving.
Mate, I wish it may never happen to anyone. The driver was caught by surprise. Thankfully, accurate braking proved helpful for the driver and did not cause much damage (as per video shot) to vehicle.

The driver should thank his stars that the Tyre went in other direction after hitting the vehicle. Otherwise it would have been fatal.

Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 23:15   #15411
BHPian

Saw this while enroute to Delhi from Sonapani (Kumaon) on April 12. This was in the hills and at a sharp turn/bend. Most of the city commercial drivers proceed on the assumption that they will be able to drive the same in the hills the way they drive in the city.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rfs_dsc02981.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rfs_dsc02982.jpg  

Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 23:55   #15412
Senior - BHPian

The tire must have come off one of the vehicles in the lanes (across the median) going in the opposite direction.

And yes it is indeed a Suzuki. If one pauses at the right moment in the slo-mo portion the Suzuki logo on the flying grill is quite clearly visible.

People ignore the fact that Suzuki was available in Europe and most other parts of the World before it came to our shores and that the Swift sold in the EU is made in Hungary.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20140521-11.52.28-pm.png

Nice Catch

Quote:
The tyre seems to come flying from nowhere. Would have been fatal if it had hit the windshield. Was the car by chance a Suzuki Swift?(Going by the looks of the grill)

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2014 at 18:30. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post :)
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:41   #15413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I do sometimes wonder what if this happens when I driving.
Forget tyres, vehicles have jumped over the median and landed flat on other side vehicles. There is nothing one can do and hope the airbags are effective.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:03   #15414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hey i pased it around the same time as well ~9:50pm. I passed it before any flames engulfed the car i.e a few seconds ahead of you. People had gotten out, were throwing buckets of water on it, but smoke was coming out and few people were making calls (HMIL/police, I presume). Did you see any further information in the papers? It was a really scary sight man.
Nothing in the paper or online. When I was passing the car, the flames were visible and the people around the car panicked and were shouting. It was parked in front on a restaurant I think, so the guard there was also wondering what to do . My friend with me in the passenger seat slightly opened his window to get a better look and the unmistakable smell of burning plastic filled my car. I got out of there immediately as I was too close for comfort !
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:00   #15415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the people around the car panicked and were shouting
Petrol explodes*, and even if it does't it burns very vigorously: who would want to be around a car on fire! People are crazy!

*Come to think of it, that's what makes cars go!
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:22   #15416
BHPian

The car in which son of veteran Tamil actor Nasser was travelling crashed head on with a tanker lorry in ECR this morning. Reports say that he was sitting at the rear and is critical. 3 people died out of the 5. Car crushed beyond recognition.

Quotes from The Hindu

Quote:
According to Kancheepuram police sources, the accident took place around 8 a.m. when the car deviated from its path, for reasons unknown, and collided head-on with the lorry. The car was smashed.
Image Source: The Hindu
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nasser.jpg
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:13   #15417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Car crushed beyond recognition.
Reports also say the car is Polo.
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:52   #15418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Reports also say the car is Polo.
Yes, looks like one from the wing mirror, front fender and the round container in the engine bay.
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:13   #15419
BHPian

R.I.P
I guess no safety device,viz seat-belts,airbags et all is effective once the basic shell of the car is ruptured.

Regards,
BL
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:18   #15420
Senior - BHPian

This happened in Hosur a few days ago, sad accident, the 2nd person died today.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/35404211.cms

Quote:

Mob protesting accident damages trucks
May 21, 2014, 03.43 AM IST

KRISHNAGIRI: More than 50 trucks were damaged by an agitated mob in Hosur on Thuesday evening. They were protesting the death of a 40-year-old woman in an accident.

R Anuradha, 44, was riding pillion on a bike with her husband Ramakrishnan when a truck rammed the bike, killing her on the spot. The couple, from Tharikotta village near Madanapalle in Chittoor district, were on their way to a grocery shop on the Hosur-Bangalore National Highway.

"An infuriated mob damaged several trucks and pelted stones at them," said Hosur traffic investigations wing (TIW) police.

"Ramakrishnan works for a private firm in Hosur while Anuradha is a housewife," the TIW official said. When they crossed Hosur bus stand, a truck rammed their bike from behind following which both husband and wife went under the wheels of the truck. Ramakrishnan sustained multiple injuries and is in a critical condition, while Anuradha died on the spot.

Witnesses immediately gathered at the spot and started attacking the truck driver. He, however, managed to escape. Subsequently, the mob pelted stones at the truck, damaging its windshields. Another mob started pelting stones at other trucks passing by. "They pelted stones at more than 50 trucks heading to Bangalore. No one was injured in the attack," the police said.

Meanwhile, Hosur division DSP E Gopi and police from Sidco, Hudco, Bagalur, Berigai and Shoolagiri police stations rushed to the spot and detained more than 10 people.

"A case has been registered in connection with the issue. No arrest has been made so far," the TIW official said, adding that the situation in Hosur is now under control.

Traffic on the Chennai-Bangalore NH was disrupted for more than 45 minutes. Ramakrishnan was rushed to Hosur government hospital for treatment.

This happened half a km outside my home!! Worst part, my family/friends crossed this path in a few autos (to a local fair) when a movie-climax-type mob ran past them singling out "Only Tipper Lorries" and breaking any glass found on those trucks!!

And these are not goons, rowdies or history sheeters, I know most of the shop owners, mechanics, auto drivers, fellow-hosurians who got enraged by this 'constant' nuisance of tipper lorries from nearby 'quarries', 1000's of them criss/cross hosur roads daily!! But sad they had to resort to this animalistic behaviour because of 1 drivers fault!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks