Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 13:53   #15631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driverless tram smashes 9 cars in Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Most of the cars are a total loss, aren't they? Or are they repairable?
It is so sad that because of someone's carelessness so many people have to suffer loss of lakhs of rupees without any mistake of theirs.

-Bhargav
Each and every car is repairable here. Why do you say they are total loss? It is not like their structure/ chassis has been severely impacted.

P.S. A report already exists in the Accidents in India thread about this incident.

Last edited by S2!!! : 21st June 2014 at 13:56.
Old 21st June 2014, 13:56   #15632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Each and every car is repairable here. Why do you say they are total loss? It is not like their structure/ chassis has been severely impacted.
I feel the Black Fiesta is a total loss. The chassis has taken a severe hit.
Old 21st June 2014, 13:56   #15633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The 2 Alto's, Ford Fiesta, i10 and Ritz have severe structural damage. They may be repairable but will never drive the same.
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:42   #15634
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Dear Folks, Just now mom had gone to the weekly market opposite to our sector in Noida and got badly bruised. According to her a Tavera guy went out of control on a turn and banged into a vegetable vendor's table and due to the impact and fear mom fell down with her face down on the road. Her left elbow and knee got bruised and minor cuts are there too. Since there is no parking near the market so I rushed to pick her up. Luckily she escaped from being run-over. The moron escaped even though being hit with wooden sticks on his car by the other vendors. I really thank god that she is fine because immediate first aid was given by the female police officers over there.

Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:01   #15635
Distinguished - BHPian

Another lucky escape, although cuts and bruises are not exactly welcome. Hope she is better soon.

My wife is still in pain from sprain, even though there is nothing to see.

Do make sure that your mom gets TT (tetanus) innoculation within 24 hours, and preferably same day. That is one reason that I insisted on taking Mrs G to the doc after her bike-assisted fall a couple of days ago. This really is important if there is any broken skin, and always good to have because you can catch it from a mere scratch in your own garden.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:17   #15636
Senior - BHPian

This is off-topic here, but has lessons for all of us. This came in one of my newsfeeds:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-2-deaths.html

Briefly, the lady stopped her car on an Autoroute to let some ducklings cross the road. A motorcycle coming behind her crashed onto her car, killing the two people (a father and daughter) on it. The woman now faces 14 years in jail.

While several people here (myself included) are of the opinion that if you crash onto the rear of a vehicle ahead of you it is always your fault, it appears that there are exceptions.
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:22   #15637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another lucky escape, although cuts and bruises are not exactly welcome. Hope she is better soon.

My wife is still in pain from sprain, even though there is nothing to see.

Do make sure that your mom gets TT (tetanus) innoculation within 24 hours, and preferably same day. That is one reason that I insisted on taking Mrs G to the doc after her bike-assisted fall a couple of days ago. This really is important if there is any broken skin, and always good to have because you can catch it from a mere scratch in your own garden.
Thad, Thanks for the wishes. Paa has taken her to our family doctor for the inoculation and dressing of the wounds. I am concerned since she is 55 year old lady and you can understand that healing of wounds does get slower with age. Hope your wife too shall recover soon. In the meanwhile, I really felt angry on the whole incident. Had it been couple of inches more and the scene would have been beyond imagination.

Thanks.

Last edited by ad3952n : 22nd June 2014 at 19:23.
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:36   #15638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Cabbie gets a puncture , trucker also has a blow out . The cops should be examining this road stretch also for nails or some other objects strewn intentionally . We just read about this couple being robbed on the E way
I think the police are just sleeping.

Recently as I travelled on the eway, I saw heavy vehicles travelling in the rightmost lane throughout from the first food mall on Mum Pune side, many trucks without functioning rear lights.

It's time we question why these cops are being paid their salaries as they simply aren't doing their duty.
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:59   #15639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is off-topic here, but has lessons for all of us. This came in one of my newsfeeds:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-2-deaths.html

Briefly, the lady stopped her car on an Autoroute to let some ducklings cross the road. A motorcycle coming behind her crashed onto her car, killing the two people (a father and daughter) on it. The woman now faces 14 years in jail.

While several people here (myself included) are of the opinion that if you crash onto the rear of a vehicle ahead of you it is always your fault, it appears that there are exceptions.
I think the car driver is being punished for her recklessness , according to the article she had stopped her car on the highway without any hazard lights , opened the driver's door with the intention of picking up those ducklings to take them home , unfortunately this is in contravention of the highway code which clearly states that you should not stop on the highway apart from an emergency , sadly her action has resulted in the death of 2 people , however the sentencing seems to be very harsh as it was also the biker's duty to look for potential hazards in his path, but glad to note that the loss of life is being taken very seriously , it's time our Indian judicial system starts taking similar views especially when lives are lost , everyone knows that you can walk away with anything in India if you have either the money power or the political clout , hope we change for the better.
vickzkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:02   #15640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if you crash onto the rear of a vehicle ahead of you it is always your fault
I suppose different countries have different laws, or interpret them in different ways.

How sad: a kind impulse led to a stupid act which led to two deaths. And now that is going to lead to a major prison sentence. Life can be very cruel.
Old 23rd June 2014, 06:56   #15641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
however the sentencing seems to be very harsh as it was also the biker's duty to look for potential hazards in his path
To be factually correct - she has only been found guilty. Life in jail is the maximum sentence she's facing - actual time would be known only after August 8 when sentencing hearings are scheduled. But I don't agree to your second point - does it in any way reduce her culpability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I suppose different countries have different laws, or interpret them in different ways.
She's been convicted under two laws. The first (causing death by negligence) I think has similar punishment in its Indian version - just that it is not usually applied in automobile accident cases (for example, it took several years of court battles to charge Mr. Khan with it). The second (dangerous driving causing death) really has no Indian parallel.
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:56   #15642
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this in today's Hindustan newspaper, Gurgaon edition. Lucky escape for passengers. This goes on to show how bad the condition of roads and bridges are there in the interiors. Posting it here just for awareness.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140623_075328.png
Views: 5440
Size:  996.7 KB

Mods: Can delete this if found inappropriate.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:49   #15643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Bad start to the weekend. Got sideswiped by a speeding BMTC bus on outer ring road this evening (6:00pm) while I was on my regular route on my way home. I was joining the ring road from one of the service roads at Banaswadi. I was very slow, attentive and joined the traffic flow carefully. Did not notice the BMTC bus which was speeding towards me. The rear portion of the bus (rear wheel and the rear overhang ) hit the front right fender. Needless to say - the bus sped on as if nothing had happened and I was left cursing myself for not having noticed this bus barrelling into my path.

A couple of questions which Bhpians could help me our with -

1- Is there any recourse at all if a BMTC bus hits your vehicle?

2- Can anybody recommend a good denter , painter in north Bangalore to help me restore the damaged car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Feel really sorry for you. I stay near Nagwara (Thanisandra) and there is a Bosch car service center near by, i have got work done from him and he is good. PM me for more details.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:05   #15644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
1- Is there any recourse at all if a BMTC bus hits your vehicle?
Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
If the hit is at the rear portion of the government vehicle and front portion of ours, mostly no.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:30   #15645
Senior - BHPian

Yet another accident involving an Indica cab:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-hurt-hit.html

A major loss to society too, from what I hear: http://qr.ae/2bljw (Quora needs registration to read replies I believe).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks