Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 22:48   #15676
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Lost a colleague of mine due to an accident near Kakinada. He was traveling in a Ford Figo which was rear ended by a trailer causing the tragic death. He had multiple internal injuries which led to his death. None of the other passengers where injured but for minor bruises except for my friend.
Circumstances that led to the accident is still unclear as the family is in a state of shock. The truck driver fled the scene soon after this. Locals had a tough time trying to extricate people from the mangled wreck as all the occupants had lost consciousness.
May he rest in peace. Was your friend driving? This looks like a the truck hit the car at a good speed. The figo seems to have taken the rear hit rather badly - the tyre marks have stretched for almost 30-40m. Any occupants in the rear seat would surely have perished.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 08:31   #15677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
May he rest in peace. Was your friend driving? This looks like a the truck hit the car at a good speed. The figo seems to have taken the rear hit rather badly - the tyre marks have stretched for almost 30-40m. Any occupants in the rear seat would surely have perished.
He was sitting behind the driver when the incident occurred. His son who was next to him in the middle and his relative seated behind the passenger had a lucky escape with some bruises. My good friend died due to injuries to spinal cord, skull and ribs which led to internal bleeding.
Old 29th June 2014, 09:24   #15678
BHPian

Quote:
Lost a colleague of mine due to an accident near Kakinada. He was traveling in a Ford Figo which was rear ended by a trailer causing the tragic death. He had multiple internal injuries which led to his death. None of the other passengers where injured but for minor bruises except for my friend.
Circumstances that led to the accident is still unclear as the family is in a state of shock. The truck driver fled the scene soon after this. Locals had a tough time trying to extricate people from the mangled wreck as all the occupants had lost consciousness.

Attachment 1255610
May his soul rest in peace and god give the bereaved family the strength to bear the loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
If both vehicles were moving at their respective speeds the impact would not have been this bad. Why did the Driver stop causing the truck to slam into the car.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st July 2014 at 14:58. Reason: edited
Old 29th June 2014, 14:56   #15679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1255610
I am sorry for your loss and condolences to the bereaved family.

The photos suggests that the speed differential between the two vehicles at the time of impact must have been quite high.

Two possibilities I can thing of
  1. The Figo driver had stopped on the left side for some reason (a drink of water?) and the trailer driver failed to notice it and braked too late to aviod it. The trailer was empty and its quite possible he was driving fast and trying to overtake a lorry or bus ahead of him from the left side. Noticed the Figo too late, jammed on the brakes, skidded, lost steering control and rammed the Figo from behind. Since the trailer was empty, he had no traction whatsoever. The tyres locked up bigtime. If you see his front wheels, you can see him trying to steer to the right away from the Figo.

Stopping on the highway is very dangerous. All it needs is for someone to change lanes for overtaking from too close to the vehicle in front, with you out of his line of sight. Always make sure your vehicle is completely out of the line of fast moving vehicles (all lanes) when you need to stop. Its Ok if it takes a few more minutes of driving to find that right safe spot.

2. Second possibility is that the Figo driver braked suddenly and the trailer was trailing too close behind and was unable to brake in time.

Sometimes drivers driving empty lorries drive fast and crazy on the highway. They try to bully small cars into submission. In such a situation either drive a little faster and leave them far behind or move over and let them pass. Never a good thing to have a heavy vehicle trailing too close behind you for too long.

Since the impact seems to have happened on the leftmost lane I am inclined to believe that out of the two, the first scenario is more likely to have happened.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 12:43   #15680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1255610

Really tragic !

When you look at the pics , tire marks suggest the truck braked from a long distance. Did the Figo brake suddenly?

Just realised , others also have mentioned about the same thing

Last edited by speedsatya : 30th June 2014 at 12:45.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:36   #15681
BHPian

Looking at the skid marks of the truck it surely seems that the Figo was bang-on in the left lane! Now we have 2 scenarios:
1. The Figo had to brake suddenly, causing the truck to rear-end it -- seems the case to me looking at the damage to the Figo.
2. The driver decided to wait stop for a break right on the road, which is not a good idea considering there is plenty of space on the shoulder!!

Anyways, it's sad to see that a life has been lost, irrespective of who's fault it was!
Old 30th June 2014, 17:43   #15682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Looking at the skid marks of the truck it surely seems that the Figo was bang-on in the left lane! Now we have 2 scenarios:
1. The Figo had to brake suddenly, causing the truck to rear-end it -- seems the case to me looking at the damage to the Figo.
2. The driver decided to wait stop for a break right on the road, which is not a good idea considering there is plenty of space on the shoulder!!

Anyways, it's sad to see that a life has been lost, irrespective of who's fault it was!
agree with you for sure the Truck braked heavily to avoid the collision, but it is equally important to know why did they FIGO stop suddenly on the road.

Unless the FIGO was also reversing on the main road.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:49   #15683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
agree with you for sure the Truck braked heavily to avoid the collision, but it is equally important to know why did they FIGO stop suddenly on the road.

Unless the FIGO was also reversing on the main road.
That's the mystery yet to be resolved.
If the Figo was indeed reversing on the highway, that was an extremely dangerous move and inviting trouble! Not to take away the fault of the trucker for not noticing the Figo!
Old 30th June 2014, 23:01   #15684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1255610
Sorry to hear about your friend and may the family get enough strength in stand such a loss.

Not a very good idea to make a lot of assumptions at such a time, I know but I could see one more possibilities to what Santosh has mentioned, I see the break in median just at the point where truck driver stomped the brakes, may be possible that Figo just took a turn and was yet to accelerate to a decent speed while truck may have noticed it too late and couldn't stop in time. Whatever the reason may be, its a life lost ultimately and could have been avoided. I wish we, along with our vehicles become more safety conscious to avoid such losses.
Old 1st July 2014, 20:59   #15685
Senior - BHPian

Folks! While waiting at Mumbai Airport today, The Mumbai Mirror today's edition reported that actors Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt escaped unhurt in a major car accident in Ahmadabad while they were on publicity tour for their upcoming movie. Here are some snaps:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1483.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1478.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1480.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1481.jpg

2) This news has come up as an unpleasant surprise; For the 3rd year in a row Maharashtra has recorded most number of 2-wheeler deaths as per T.O.I (Mumbai Edition) today. Here are some crucial stats:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1476.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1477.jpg

Thanks.
Old 1st July 2014, 21:13   #15686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
2) This news has come up as an unpleasant surprise; For the 3rd year in a row Maharashtra has recorded most number of 2-wheeler deaths as per T.O.I (Mumbai Edition) today. Here are some crucial stats:
May be I am not at all surprised with this news. Driving on Maharashtra roads during the day means, driving along with a huge population of 2 wheelers of all shapes and sizes and seating capacities (Read above 3). One of the primary reasons I avoid the Kolhapur-Pune, Pune-Nagar, Waluj-Aurangabad, Pune-Nashik stretch during the day.

The way they ride, it only gives a clear impression that they are minding their business which is riding and that is it with utter disregard to rest of the traffic that comprises of Trucks and private cars too.

Driving between Kanpur to Agra, Agra to Varanasi, Vizag Bypass, Chennai-Bangalore during the day are good example of how 2 wheeler riders go bonkers in UP, AP & TN as well.

In Karnataka, the scene is different with very less (Density) population of 2 wheelers barring the Major cities. This is one reason most of the highways you wont be bogged down by these 2 wheelers on KA roads. Simple example - The moment you cross into TN after Attibele all the way till crossing Hosur town, you are greeted with 2 wheelers scattered in all places moving in all directions and jumping right in front of you.

The moment you pay your toll at Kagal before MH and enter that state from KA side, you suddenly realize you have just had a fantastic highway run for the last 600+ kms from Bangalore and now its time to use all the 3 pedals!

I am quite surprised why Gujarat hasn't made into the list of top contributors here with all those bikers riding with their folded legs!

Sample this!

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st July 2014 at 21:18.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 00:46   #15687
BHPian

My friend's BIL's EcoSport on Hyderabad-Vijayawada highway.Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_189802346100596.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_189808096431599.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_189813979174268.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_189820554077813.jpeg
Old 2nd July 2014, 05:08   #15688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
My friend's BIL's EcoSport on Hyderabad-Vijayawada highway.
How did that happen? Any casualities? I see air bags open. Hope no one is in serious condition.
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:29   #15689
BHPian

Quote:
Condolences to the family.

This one is chilling, more so, because I drive a Figo and I am almost always worried if the time comes, can it take the hit and let the occupants survive.

The accident seems among the worst off for the occupants. May his soul rest in peace and his family have the courage to cope up with the loss.
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:11   #15690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Condolences. Loss of life for whatever reason is not justifiable .

I don't know, maybe if he was wearing a seat belt it could have reduced the extent of injuries which could have not been so fatal

Most Viewed