Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 10:40   #15781

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have seen several accidents in this zone; so far nobody's bothered to install speed breakers. I hope sense prevails.

Are you suggesting we install speed breakers. I beg to differ. Even at moderate speeds, when a vehicle runs over a speed breaker, the front wheels which are responsible for steering, will have reduced traction. And at this stage, if the driver intends to steer the vehicle in most likelyhood the vehicle will not steer and worse, due to damped oscillations, will have patchy traction. All of this is a perfect recipe for disaster for the unsuspecting/inexperienced driver.

If this situation has to be improved, in my opinion, we should have

1. Correct banking. This curve seems to have negative banking
2. In this case, there is space along the shoulders. Extend the road so high center of gravity vehicles can turn with a higher radius of turn (And thereby lower centrifugal force)
3. Have rumbling strips spaced in such a way that when run over at a particular speed or above it creates a frequency of vibration thats 25 Hz or above and at lower speeds, its barely perceivable.
4. Have proper sign boards at least 100 ft before the turn. I did not see any turn marking there in the picture.
5. Fluorescent markings - on both the road (For drivers driving with low beam) and on sign boards (for drivers driving with high beam) should be in place.
6. Cats eye markers could also be an alternate.
Arvind_555 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 11:21   #15782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind_555 View Post
Are you suggesting we install speed breakers. I beg to differ.
Maybe I was not clear. I was hoping nobody would think of installing a speedbreaker in this stretch now. I am quite passionately anti-speedbreaker.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:48   #15783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind_555 View Post
4. Have proper sign boards at least 100 ft before the turn. I did not see any turn marking there in the picture.
On most of the stretches of NH-209, the signboards are defaced. Since it was some paper sticker pasted on the signboards, the sign was indecipherable - so was the sticker, thanks to the reflective background. Whoever did that needs to be penalised heavily.
Old 15th July 2014, 15:21   #15784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post

There were 2 people in the car and unfortunately one expired and by God's grace, one survived without a scratch on him.

Attachment 1261747

Attachment 1261750

Attachment 1261751

Attachment 1261752

Attachment 1261754
This is a team-bhpian car. The one survived was the Driver and the co-passenger was the one who lost his life.

Looking at the car, one can imagine the driver wouldn't have survived by the look of the mangled remains of the car where the impact is HUGE on the driver side, while the other side had a max chances of survival.

What made the Driver survive? HE WAS WEARING SEATBELT, but unfortunately the other wasn't.

He was thrown out of the car and hit a huge rock sustaining head injuries.

Folks,

Atleast, we team-bhpians ensure we ensure the co-passengers also wear seatbelts and adhere to it whoever is hoping into your vehicle. Be it within city limits or traveling out of station.

There is no mandate by law that other passenger should wear seatbelt, but we need to ensure for our own safety and others.

The survived driver is none other than my DAD and expired is an family friend of us. I have realized HOW IMPORTANT Seatbelt plays a role in saving an individual during such crashes.

Spread the message/awareness of Seatbelt's importance.
kicksperliter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 15:42   #15785
BHPian

Received these pictures on Watsapp.

A Pune based biker apparently went on a joyride on his Ducati 848 EVO. The bike skidded on gravels and ended up below an oncoming truck. As per the information available, the biker could not survive.

R.I.P.

Will urge again bikers on the forum to be very careful especially during monsoons. Too many accidents!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140715wa0014.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140715wa0015.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140715wa0016.jpg  

Last edited by Gotham_City : 15th July 2014 at 15:43.
Old 15th July 2014, 16:00   #15786
Senior - BHPian

Folks! Saw this smashed Esteem right opposite the main road of my sector. The accident had taken place 5 days back near Challera Sector 37, Noida. This wreck was parked on the wrong side of the road when I saw it earlier but did not click since I was driving.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1619.jpg

Thanks.
Old 16th July 2014, 12:53   #15787
BHPian

Biker overtaking from the left hits an old man

Was witness to an accident yesterday.

Time: 4:30pm Location: Near the signal ahead of Bosch on the Hosur Road

I was returning home from work and was on the Hosur Road ahead of Bosch (signal). I suddenly see this old man trying to cross the road on the opposite side and he looks dazed. First he comes in front of the bus, stops, returns to the divider, the bus passes by.
Next he stops ahead of a TT, the TT has enough time to stop and let him pass (with some choice words).

And as he crosses the TT, I get this feeling that someone overtaking from the left of the TT will hit him, and surely, a Pulsar rams him from the back and all of them have a fall. All the while he looks dazed. The pulsar was not at a great speed and hence he 'seems' not too bad.

The signal now has turned green and people are honking at me to move. I drive ahead and park at the first chance I get on the left and walk back to the spot with my first aid kit. The bikers have zoomed off and the old man is still lying there.
I with the help of some others pick him up. He still looks dazed or under the influence of drugs/alcohol, which I am not sure. He did pick up some injuries on his knees, arms, elbows. He also may have some internal injuries to his ribs.
I give him first aid, but no amount of asking him about any info, house, name, phone, yields any response. After probably being there for 15 minutes, someone from a nearby colony fortunately turns up and claims to know this fellow.

But you would be amazed to hear the first thing he says to me, 'You have hit him, you need to pay!". I am like, what the hell ? Now people who are gathered there tell him the sequence of events and then he calms down and says sorry.
I ask if he wanted me to drop both of them at their home, to which he says, he will take an auto. I leave at this point.

Hope the old man is okay. It was absolutely surreal to actually see something that you anticipate happening right in front of your eyes.

No pictures of the incident. Although I was experimenting with my phone as a dash-cam, the shot was still not wide enough.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 16th July 2014 at 12:56.
pratyush6 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 14:13   #15788
Senior - BHPian

Re: Biker overtaking from the left hits an old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I ask if he wanted me to drop both of them at their home, to which he says, he will take an auto. I leave at this point...
My honest suggestion to you or anyone who tries to help but gets blamed for causing the accident is, do not offer further help. Once the injured guy has help, let them on their own.

I had gone through a similar incident a few years ago. At the entry to Hebbal flyover, a tipper was parked on the rightmost lane, and a fellow was filling diesel in it. He was standing on the dashed line that divides the lanes.

As I was approaching the flyover, I saw an autorickshaw overspeeding. He overtook me from my left and then swerved into the right lane to avoid a car in front of him. That's when he realised that there was a parked tipper. He tried to avoid it but brushed left side of the tipper. He was so fast that the rickshaw then collided with the flyover wall, moved back into the right lane and fell on its right.

I stopped behind the auto to see if everything is fine. A man emerged from the auto. He was shaken. I gave him water and asked if he is the driver. He said the driver is still stuck inside.

By then many people had gathered and someone started accusing me of causing the accident. Luckily, other autorickshaw drivers corrected him. I realised that it is better I move on. I gave a call to 108 and drove away.

All this time, the guy filling diesel in his tipper, continued to do his job without regrets!

Last edited by rohanjf : 16th July 2014 at 14:20.
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 16:16   #15789
BHPian

Received this video of truck accident at Rajesh Hotel Mahabaleswar.

Although very unfortunate for the truck driver, everyone else was saved by skin of their teeth.

Is it a brake failure or some novice behind the wheels?

PS: If it had been posted earlier in the forum, please feel free to delete it

Last edited by Gotham_City : 16th July 2014 at 16:28.
Gotham_City is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 16:40   #15790
BHPian

Saw this horrible accident at 8.30 AM on Sunday, while on my way to attend a team-bhp meet. The pics were clicked by fellow BHP-ian lapis_lazuli.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140713_081714.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140713_081735.jpg

I hope the driver survived to educate his fellow-beings about the perils of driving on the wrong-side. This road (NH 24/Nizamuddin bridge) has eight lanes and the traffic at odd-hours is mostly above 50 KMPH thus, driving on the wrong-side was definitely calling for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Is it a brake failure or some novice behind the wheels?
I might be wrong but some trucks have the reverse gear slot where the first gear for cars is. Perhaps a novice that slotted the reverse gear instead of first and then panicked.

Last edited by Biraj : 16th July 2014 at 16:51. Reason: Adding response to the previous post
Old 16th July 2014, 16:49   #15791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Saw this horrible accident at 8.30 AM on Sunday, while on my way to attend a team-bhp meet. The pics were clicked by fellow BHP-ian lapis_lazuli.

I hope the driver survived to educate his fellow-beings about the perils of driving on the wrong-side. This road (NH 24/Nizamuddin bridge) has eight lanes and the traffic at odd-hours is mostly above 50 KMPH thus, driving on the wrong-side was definitely calling for trouble.
Hey man,

Did you actually see this accident happen?

The impact seems to look less like a head-on and more like rear-ending a parked truck or such like. It doesn't look like he was driving on the wrong side. Could it be that it came to rest facing the wrong side of the road?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 17:02   #15792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hey man,

Did you actually see this accident happen?

The impact seems to look less like a head-on and more like rear-ending a parked truck or such like. It doesn't look like he was driving on the wrong side. Could it be that it came to rest facing the wrong side of the road?
The accident would have occurred ~30 minutes before we crossed. Another BHPian Sidindica crossed that location 10-15 minutes before us and saw a mangled Dzire with which this Ertiga had an head-on collision.

The pics were clicked while the police was trying to tow it away thus, the car was not at it's original alignment with the central verge. Perhaps that's why it gives the impression that it came to rest facing the wrong side.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 18:10   #15793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
The accident would have occurred ~30 minutes before we crossed. Another BHPian Sidindica crossed that location 10-15 minutes before us and saw a mangled Dzire with which this Ertiga had an head-on collision.

The pics were clicked while the police was trying to tow it away thus, the car was not at it's original alignment with the central verge. Perhaps that's why it gives the impression that it came to rest facing the wrong side.
That's interesting. The collapsed roof and driver side A pillar seems to point only towards rear-ending of a bus or a truck. The bumper / engine area does not seem as much impacted - the bumper is quite intact comparatively.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 18:30   #15794
Distinguished - BHPian

Chilling video of that truck going down the hill. The car and the pedestrians behind were really lucky to have escaped. Honestly the car behind and the one behind did a commendable job in reversing so fast and hence avoided the truck and also at the same time colliding into one another. What could have been the reason for the truck's sudden run in the wrong direction?
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 18:41   #15795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
. What could have been the reason for the truck's sudden run in the wrong direction?
May be brake failure. As you rightly said, very good presence of mind on the part of the car driver behind the truck.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed