Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 16:38   #15931
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
One of the main reasons for tailgating is low relative power of cars that we have here.
Absolutely not.

All countries have a mix of vehicles varying from low to high power, and many also have a problem with tailgating.

Tailgating is always simply just bad, and dangerous, driving. There is no reason, beyond bad manners and driver thuggishness, and no excuse.
Old 1st August 2014, 16:40   #15932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On a serious note, the A pillar is where it all started passing the damage all the way back. The Bumper and the bonnet area looks intact, almost, for the damage seen elsewhere.
The Ashok Leyland - Viking model (displayed in the photo) has the chassis frame extended in the front (longer overhang) than their other models.

Apparently the right-front end of the car had a collision against the right edge of this chassis frame resulting in the extent of damage starting at the headlight and above level, which bypassed the bumper (lower level).
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:18   #15933
BHPian

Re: Red Punto badly damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I saw a tow truck dragging this last night so took some pictures. Looks like a heavy impact but the Punto seems to have protected the driver. Or so it seems.
This Punto has definitely taken a huge blow. The build quality of Punto comes into picture here the impact looks limited only in the hood area, the passenger compartment looks visibly intact, hope they were wearing seat belts. I cannot comment about the condition of the passengers inside the vehicle, but I am sure they would be thanking FIAT for their solid build quality.
Travelling_Monk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:05   #15934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
This accident happened in Kerala, near Thrissur. The car (Verna) was trying to overtake the truck in the picture, when the truck moved to the right and hit the car, which then hit the median and flipped. The car caught fire and was completely burned. The driver of the car (a doctor) was pulled out before the car caught fire. He is alive, but in very critical condition as far as I know.
I really do not understand what can a guy do in such a situation. Happened with me once, tried to overtake a truck after giving sufficient horn and dipper at night, still when I was overtaking, he just tilted his truck to the right. God knows how he realised about my car and turned right back to his lane. Scared the hell out of me.

Stopped him and confronted, realised he was intoxicated. Gives me a short answer - " Kuch hua to nahi na" (Nothing happened right?!)

What options does one have in this case. Even my speed must have been 40-50. You can't stop overtaking for this reason, though you can be a lot more careful.
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:58   #15935
BHPian

Here is an incident that happened very near to my house.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0062.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0063.jpg

The driver of this Santro had parked his car near the wall of a Govt building and went for some shopping. But then it rained very heavily, the concrete wall lost its footing and a portion of it fell on top of the car.

As you can see the car has been smashed like a pancake and even more surprising is how the wall destroyed the roof! It just smashed it like it was a soft top convertible. So much for structural integrity!

Fortunately nobody was inside the car when the incident happened and nobody got hurt. But if there were anybody inside it, I don't think they will be walking away unscathed.

Would the damage be the the same if it was a punto or a polo instead of this Santro?
nakul0888 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:41   #15936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Here is an incident that happened very near to my house.

Attachment 1269363

Attachment 1269364

The driver of this Santro had parked his car near the wall of a Govt building and went for some shopping. But then it rained very heavily, the concrete wall lost its footing and a portion of it fell on top of the car.

As you can see the car has been smashed like a pancake and even more surprising is how the wall destroyed the roof! It just smashed it like it was a soft top convertible. So much for structural integrity!

Fortunately nobody was inside the car when the incident happened and nobody got hurt. But if there were anybody inside it, I don't think they will be walking away unscathed.

Would the damage be the the same if it was a punto or a polo instead of this Santro?
Yeah but considering the weight of the concrete wall and the effect of 'g', i dont think even a polo or punto would have survived this impact. I agree from the collision/impact point of view these vehicles are better than santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
I really do not understand what can a guy do in such a situation. Happened with me once, tried to overtake a truck after giving sufficient horn and dipper at night, still when I was overtaking, he just tilted his truck to the right. God knows how he realised about my car and turned right back to his lane. Scared the hell out of me.

Stopped him and confronted, realised he was intoxicated. Gives me a short answer - " Kuch hua to nahi na" (Nothing happened right?!)

What options does one have in this case. Even my speed must have been 40-50. You can't stop overtaking for this reason, though you can be a lot more careful.
What we can conclude from such experiences is that one has to be ultra careful while overtaking trucks especially in the dark despite we honking loud enough. At least in the day time we can see if there are other vehicles ahead of us.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd August 2014 at 20:08. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 3rd August 2014, 02:09   #15937
BHPian

This was an accident mainly because of bad luck. That this happened right outside the local police station made things very difficult for the driver. What happened was that the container lorry had to move to the extreme left to avoid a bus which was overtaking from the opposite side, encroaching his lane. The lorry cab cleared the treeline but the container got snagged in the main branch of the tree, pulling it out of its roots and the tree crashing as a whole on the driver cab. Nobody was hurt, but the truck was parked at the same spot for a good six days before someone got a replacement truck to drag it away.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_9309.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dd.jpg  

Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:15   #15938
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the new I20 banged up before it could even hit the roads.
Saw parked on the Race Course road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140803_113759.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140803_113857.jpg  

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:30   #15939
Senior - BHPian

I know the guy who owns this company "Chetak Logistics". They also carry cars for Ford, Maruti among others.
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:36   #15940
Distinguished - BHPian

Look at the huge rear overhang and lack of under run barriers on the car carrier. No chance of survival if a car rear ends it at even decent speeds
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:50   #15941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Yeah but considering the weight of the concrete wall and the effect of 'g', i dont think even a polo or punto would have survived this impact. I agree from the collision/impact point of view these vehicles are better than santro.
There were some photos posted a while back in this thread when the wall of an apartment collapsed on to a row of cars in the parking lot. IIRC, Marutis, Fords and VWs were all crushed.

EDIT: Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3229990

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks like the new I20 banged up before it could even hit the roads.
This reminded me of the opening sequence in the Hangover - Part 3 movie where Alan drives home a giraffe.

Last edited by zenren : 3rd August 2014 at 12:52. Reason: adding link to the post I referred
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:35   #15942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Look at the huge rear overhang and lack of under run barriers on the car carrier. No chance of survival if a car rear ends it at even decent speeds
Agree. That company surely would have had blood on its hands by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I know the guy who owns this company "Chetak Logistics". They also carry cars for Ford, Maruti among others.
Do get his unbiased opinion - why does he / his company not believe in under run barriers?
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:26   #15943
BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

I was away for a while traveling a lot between chennai and Bangalore. I happened to notice a horrible accident on June 25th, old airport road Bangalore. The Merc was speeding in a very narrow section and smashed into a DCM. Result I had no words after watching this. Didn't know what to take out if it- whether to criticize the driver or to appreciate the Mercedes build quality. Cabin completely intact.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407056104.996842.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407056117.879649.jpgAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407056132.095555.jpg

Last edited by Amarendranath : 3rd August 2014 at 14:33.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:01   #15944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I was away for a while traveling a lot between chennai and Bangalore. I happened to notice a horrible accident on June 25th, old airport road Bangalore. The Merc was speeding in a very narrow section and smashed into a DCM. Result I had no words after watching this. Didn't know what to take out if it- whether to criticize the driver or to appreciate the Mercedes build quality. Cabin completely intact.
I caught it from the other side.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3463951

Looks like the Merc was driving on the wrong side of the road to overtake the queue. Judging by the fact the Matador landed on the wrong side of the road. The impact must have been brutal
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:05   #15945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I saw a tow truck dragging this last night so took some pictures. Looks like a heavy impact but the Punto seems to have protected the driver. Or so it seems.
This was at Ramkay Fiat. A total loss case. Probably being towed to the scrapyard. Here are more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1407065702341.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1407065719523.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1407065734541.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1407065749237.jpg  

DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed