Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 11:53   #15961
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Also, what is strange is from the pics the vehicle is seen lying in riverbed, which is after the turn while coming from Mysore side.
Good detective work there. Yes, the accident happened while coming FROM Mysore to Bangalore. Looks like the driver had a passion for high-speeds (given the modded alloy wheels), and based on TOI's report, they were regulars in this circuit. Complacency, over confidence and speed. I see nothing wrong with the road per-se. Sad thing is, the co-passengers had to pay the ultimate price for drivers mistake. May they rest in peace now.

Add few more speed breakers to this road now. Looking back / thinking back, I see that, its the driver community who have made this road bad, rather than the govt.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 5th August 2014 at 11:56.
Old 5th August 2014, 12:09   #15962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Looks like the driver had a passion for high-speeds (given the modded alloy wheels)
That is a very harsh assumption! I wouldn't agree that everyone who fits aftermarket alloys on their car have a passion for high speeds. Most of the folks do it just for the looks and nothing more.

It is one thing for the layman on the street to make such a conclusion but it is really disappointing to see BHPians make such generic statements without any basis.
zenren is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 12:14   #15963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
That is a very harsh assumption! I wouldn't agree that everyone who fits aftermarket alloys on their car have a passion for high speeds. Most of the folks do it just for the looks and nothing more.

It is one thing for the layman on the street to make such a conclusion but it is really disappointing to see BHPians make such generic statements without any basis.
Valid statement zenren. I take it back. I just felt very sad about this accident and may have been trying to spot trends. Nothing more. No offense to anyone.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 12:58   #15964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks like the new I20 banged up before it could even hit the roads.
Saw parked on the Race Course road.
I saw this accident happen. On saturday night I and my family were driving home in our Linea. We turned right at Mysore bank circle and entered the under pass (Maharani college road above). A few meters into the underpass and we started hearing pretty loud metal sounds and metal getting banged with some hard object kind of sound. In about couple of seconds, we started hearing crackling sound of cement and some metal banging sounds too. I could see ahead a cloud of smoke and small-medium chunks of cement falling. We were all confused as to what was happening. For a moment, it felt like earth quake. I felt the underpass is collapsing and dropped a gear and sped ahead. At the end of the underpass, I could then notice that its this truck coming from the other side hit both the height check barriers and then sped into the underpass damaging itself as seen in the pic. I could see the last foot of metal crush with the underpass just while getting out. Then saw a huge bit of height check barrier had fallen onto our lane. It was parallel to the road. Every damn thing happened in matter of few seconds and the truck wasnt visible to us until we were exiting and really gave a terrible scare.

Had we been 4-5 seconds earlier, chances were 100% that the height barrier would have hit us, worst, the angle looked like the metal barrier could have pierced through our wind-shield.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:26   #15965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I saw this accident happen. On saturday night I and my family were driving home in our Linea. We turned right at Mysore bank circle and entered the under pass (Maharani college road above). A few meters into the underpass and we started hearing pretty loud metal sounds and metal getting banged with some hard object kind of sound. In about couple of seconds, we started hearing crackling sound of cement and some metal banging sounds too. I could see ahead a cloud of smoke and small-medium chunks of cement falling. We were all confused as to what was happening. For a moment, it felt like earth quake. I felt the underpass is collapsing and dropped a gear and sped ahead. At the end of the underpass, I could then notice that its this truck coming from the other side hit both the height check barriers and then sped into the underpass damaging itself as seen in the pic. I could see the last foot of metal crush with the underpass just while getting out. Then saw a huge bit of height check barrier had fallen onto our lane. It was parallel to the road. Every damn thing happened in matter of few seconds and the truck wasnt visible to us until we were exiting and really gave a terrible scare.

Had we been 4-5 seconds earlier, chances were 100% that the height barrier would have hit us, worst, the angle looked like the metal barrier could have pierced through our wind-shield.
Glad you are safe. Reading through your experience, it sounded very similar to the below scene.

zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 15:25   #15966
Distinguished - BHPian

It was 2:45pm, Bad long queue on the cash lane of BETL toll both in Phase 1. Well, that's not unusual and when folks start running helter skelter when a man waves them to join the next lane, start paying cash and continue.

So its 2 lanes of impatiently waiting cars. Designated lanes for OBUs letting regular cars pass as usual and a Self driven Red A-Class from Zoomcar thinks rest of the cars waiting in 2 lanes are morons and continue to march towards the OBU lane and realizes that in reality, he is an uneducated moron instead for failing to read what the lane was marked for and Screeeeeech!.

A cabbie, obviously not belted along with a techie sitting (Sorry, sleeping) rear ends right into this Merc. Story over within seconds. Substantial damage to the engine bay of the Indicab and the Merc looked equally bad from the rear.

Driver of the Merc gets down, obviously tensed and the cabbies gather in no time while I continue my struggle to pass through the lane cutters!

Hazards of abrupt braking without checking your mirrors!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th August 2014 at 15:03. Reason: A-class :)
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 16:23   #15967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So its 2 lanes of impatiently waiting cars. Designated lanes for OBUs letting regular cars pass as usual and a Self driven Red A-Class from Zoomcar thinks rest of the cars waiting in 2 lanes are morons and continue to march towards the OBU lane and realizes that in reality, he is an uneducated moron instead for failing to read what the lane was marked for and Screeeeeech!.

A cabbie, obviously not belted along with a techie sitting (Sorry, sleeping) rear ends right into this Merc. Story over within seconds. Substantial damage to the engine bay of the Indicab and the Merc looked equally bad from the rear.
What is the security deposit for Mercedes A-class from Zoom car? Looks like that guy is in for some really big expenses.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th August 2014 at 15:03. Reason: A class
Old 5th August 2014, 22:03   #15968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Very well said. But I too have seen many qualis cabbies decorate their car with lights, black stickers on the bonnet / sides along with fancy horn and alloy wheels. More often than not these drivers tend to go fast honking so as to frighten others.
I guess these factors might have prompted our BHP friend to make such a generic statement (no offences though) and not individual specific.

At the same time i have seen others who drive well and allow others to drive peacefully as well.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:47   #15969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Only today, I was taking a U-turn from the correct position and this girl from the 3 lane (on the left) does the same and speeds, I barely stopped in time to avoid her. Meanwhile, she did gives the guys on the sidewalk a good scare. And she was oblivious all the while.
I see this all around me - it is maddening to drive here and sometimes to even live here with the selfishness you see all around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Almost the exact same thing happened today. ...Why are some people such morons!
Have been in a similar situation not once but multiple time, specially on Pune-Hinjewadi-Infosys Ph-1 circle.
Once a girl almost stopped bang in front of me, moving on the wrong side of circle on her grans old Kinetic. I was like , when she showed her Middle finger to me. I would have loved to take this to a new low, had my wife not being with me on the front seat. Only thing my wife screamed at her was "Please use a Cond*m, when you do that" . The look on the lady's face & her pillion (another girl)was priceless. I regret the malfunction of my dash cam that day. I see that lady almost everyday from there on. Only thing she does is shy away. I know she remembers us very well.

Edit: I now have seen her taking proper circle to turn, instead of middle finger shortcut. Good lesson learnt.

Adding to these, i can see school children (in school uniforms) driving motorcycles, around hinjewadi & maan village. I am sure they are calling for something major with the pathetic traffic conditions these days.
It really shocks me how can there parents allow them to use one & on top of that, how could the scholl allow them to bring one to school. I remember my principle used to send back the students who came by bike to school on there own

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 6th August 2014 at 12:58.
saurabh2711 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 13:21   #15970
Team-BHP Support

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2366534.ece

Weird!
Old 6th August 2014, 13:37   #15971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
More than weird, its sheer stupidity. Also I think, its not good for the girl not to have a medical checkup, since a fall from than height could lead to internal injuries, which might not be apparent immdly. Few youngsters dont realise the risks of speeding, and result in such accidents. Off late I witness a minimum of 2 - 3 riders who love to ride fast AND weave through the traffic literally without reducing speeds. Only yesterday, while I was overtaking a lorry, and trying to return to the lane, when I notice a 2 wheeler scrapping through gap in between the car and the lorry. Had I not glanced at the rearview mirror he would have come under the front wheels of the sewage lorry.

That said the bridge is already known for being a hazard when driving at reasonably high speeds.
Old 6th August 2014, 14:08   #15972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post

Edit: I now have seen her taking proper circle to turn, instead of middle finger shortcut. Good lesson learnt.
She will never take a middle finger shortcut in her life again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post

Adding to these, i can see school children (in school uniforms) driving motorcycles, around hinjewadi & maan village. I am sure they are calling for something major with the pathetic traffic conditions these days.
It really shocks me how can there parents allow them to use one & on top of that, how could the scholl allow them to bring one to school.
You can find full of these type of people in Hinjewadi.

In our Marathi language we say some of them as "Guntha Mantri ". (Those who gather wealth by selling their property/land etc.)

You cannot expect any type of precaution from their parents. BTW they feel proud by seeing their kids ride a bike without helmet.

I suggest be aware of these kind of kids/people.
keep safe distance from them. if anything happen then within 5 mins you will surrounded by the villagers and may lose your hard earned money .
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 15:28   #15973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The weirder part as per TOI was that she robbed the man who lay dying. Looks like the police traced his house based on the registration address only to find that no such man ever lived there. Gets weirder again.
Old 7th August 2014, 02:18   #15974
Distinguished - BHPian

The weirdest part, to me, was that anyone could get up and run off after such an accident. It seems she was saved by bouncing off a vehicle below, but still, would expect injuries.

I just hope that this is one girl who will never say anything on a bike, to her next boyfriend, other than "slow down."

Quote:
That said the bridge is already known for being a hazard when driving at reasonably high speeds.
Dangerous speeds? Maybe. Thousands of people, every day, on all kinds of vehicles seem to manage without any difficulty. It is speed that is the hazard, not the flyover.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:25   #15975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Dangerous speeds? Maybe. Thousands of people, every day, on all kinds of vehicles seem to manage without any difficulty. It is speed that is the hazard, not the flyover.
The turn to LB road is a bit too sharp, and can cause trouble for LCVs and above if they are not careful. But yes speed is also a important factor !

Most Viewed