Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 23:36   #16081
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
The driver was dumb actually. He was abusing me while lying injured on the road for smashing into a properly parked car.
While i know that road rage is not at all aceptable under any condition but in any such situation, i would have lost my head and would have reversed my car and would have banged in again nicely in the PROPERLY PARKED CAR to ensure that i earn every bit of that insanely dumb driver's abuse

Last edited by yo222 : 20th August 2014 at 23:41.
Old 21st August 2014, 07:25   #16082
Senior - BHPian

Bad crash up on old madras road early this morning. This is right after the Metro corporate office. Indica standing on the wrong side of the road, beside the median, facing krpuram. A Toyota Fortuner and Tata Ace were on the side of the road and facing the HAL wall. The Toyota's front end had extensive damage leading right up to the windshield. Difficult to tell what happened.
Old 21st August 2014, 08:08   #16083
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore, there is a flyover on a 4-lane road near Carmelaram train station. There is a junction very close to the flyover. So our authorities have put speedbreakers. Obviously, there is no indication anywhere that it exists. At nights, you realise it only after you go over it.

A few days ago, a scooter guy slowed down at this speedbreaker. He was probably aware of the road. Unfortunately for him and his family, the truck coming behind him (down the flyover), had no clue. Truck rammed the scooter from behind and the poor chap died on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Bad crash up on old madras road early this morning. This is right after the Metro corporate office. Indica standing on the wrong side of the road, beside the median, facing krpuram. A Toyota Fortuner and Tata Ace were on the side of the road and facing the HAL wall. The Toyota's front end had extensive damage leading right up to the windshield. Difficult to tell what happened.
Since Fortuner is the biggest vehicle here, its driver is at fault. Judgment passed, case closed.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 11:05   #16084
Senior - BHPian

Drunken driving, Safari Storme runs over 3 people in Delhi!

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/s...-lateststories
Old 21st August 2014, 20:03   #16085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
The news report says that the car was being driven at 150+ kph speed. Looking at the impact, it looks like a high speed crash but 150 kph on this road is suicide and shows how irresponsible people are. That road looks like a single lane state highway and I don't know how the witnesses calculate the speed of the vehicles just by merely glancing at it. I think they possess some kind of superhuman ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Came across this news article about an accident in Nagpur.

http://www.nagpurtoday.in/2-students...ling-for-life/

The side impact has crushed the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I agree with you on this. This kind of news is very common and not able to digest the fact that the media prints such information every time. Leave alone the fact that the car was being driven at 150 kmph, it is even difficult for the eye witness to tell if the car was being driven fast or rash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Two spot dead (boy and girl on front seats), two injured, one among them (the girl) critical. Speeds of 100 plus kmph (police say 140kmph), after dinner, the drive on a comparatively open stretch of road (NH 6), time 12.30 am.

None were wearing seat belts. Alcohol is suspected to be the culprit, as police say they found empty bottles inside the car. But confirmation is awaited.

A ghastly mishap that has been a hot topic here at Nagpur. I saw the car, now parked at the Ambazari police station. A total wreck !!
The ghastly accident took place on 6/08/2014. I clicked some pictures of the car parked at the Ambazari Police Station, Nagpur, today, where I had gone for some other work.The red blood of the victims splashed over the airbags, the B pillar and the roof portion above the B pillar of the driver's side, have now acquired the beige colour.

The greatest impact as it can be seen was on the front and rear doors on the driver's side, ruling out a head on collision. The rear left wheel is seen balancing above the ground level.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2646.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2647.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2649.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2648.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2650.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2651.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2652.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2653.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2654.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2655.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2656.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2657.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2658.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2659.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2660.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2661.jpg

I also saw a seized KTM Duke, involved in an accident in the same police station with the rear alloy wheel spokes broken, mangled wheel and damaged rear portion.

I believe that display of such relics of automobiles involved in ghastly accidents at prominent locations in a city for public viewing, can act as a deterrent for the rash and reckless drivers.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st August 2014 at 20:09.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 00:30   #16086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I believe that display of such relics of automobiles involved in ghastly accidents at prominent locations in a city for public viewing, can act as a deterrent for the rash and reckless drivers.
Fully agree that safe driving within the limits is always the best approach.
Looking at the mangled heap, I can't stop wondering whether a proper Euro Spec sedan would get twisted to the same magnitude in a side impact collision, in the same scenario. I'm inclined to believe that the passenger cell may hold on relatively better, giving again a relatively better chance of survival (provided there are curtain airbags in addition to the passenger cage holding up)

We have a dangerous trend emerging in India where Manufacturers take advantage of the lax safety norms and introducing light flimsy cars (targeted primarly to east Asian countries) that would in no way qualify to be introduced in Euro markets due to not meeting the safety norms. There are lots of examples and I'm not going to pick on any particular one.

Its obvious that the forces involved in such a horrific crash as above can cause the safest of cars to get its passenger safety cage twisted/mangled out of shape, endangering the passengers lives. So I'm not contemplating that any particular car would have been better in this scenario.

All I'm saying is, its high time that the Govt introduced Euro like levels of structural rigidity and active and passive safety norms so that the risk/magnitude of harm decreases. All the thin wafer like build vehicles with compromised structural rigidity in the name of cost cutting and higher efficiency needs to get eliminated by proper Government regulation. Any car that doesn't qualify to be introduced in a Euro zone should not qualify here too. If its about cost, people should pay the higher premium and prioritize safety.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd August 2014 at 00:46.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:16   #16087
BHPian

An Indica meets flames :
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/mumb...n-weh/15548185

Wondering:
1) These incidents happening a bit too often
2) makes me feel jittery as a driver
3) I have had issues with mice and even after precautions, cannot be totally sure about integrity of electrical components and worry about 'surprises' at unknown locations and time
4) what else can be done to be a bit more secure from fire hazards
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:32   #16088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
1) These incidents happening a bit too often
2) makes me feel jittery as a driver
3) I have had issues with mice and even after precautions, cannot be totally sure about integrity of electrical components and worry about 'surprises' at unknown locations and time
Don't mess up with the car's stock electrical, do not install aftermarket accessories, especially unauthorized. Still the probability will be there.

Quote:
4) what else can be done to be a bit more secure from fire hazards
Everyone should always keep fire extinguisher in the car. We spend lot of amount on other car related stuffs but ignore the fire extinguisher. It doesn't cost more than few hundred buck. Do not forget to replace it with new one when it expires.
tbppjpr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:50   #16089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
All I'm saying is, its high time that the Govt introduced Euro like levels of structural rigidity and active and passive safety norms so that the risk/magnitude of harm decreases. All the thin wafer like build vehicles with compromised structural rigidity in the name of cost cutting and higher efficiency needs to get eliminated by proper Government regulation. Any car that doesn't qualify to be introduced in a Euro zone should not qualify here too. If its about cost, people should pay the higher premium and prioritize safety.
Agree with the standards you are talking about. However, we have bigger problems at hand. We need to correct the behavior and entire approach with the help of awareness and education. Usually such efforts may take a generation to show the results. I'll be happy if I can see some of them. Keeping in mind that most of us spend good amount of time on roads (driving, riding, walking) during our regular/daily schedules, why cant we add something in our education system, creating awareness about how best we can manage with the kind of infrastructure and big numbers we are dealing with! Adding some to the colleges and gradually taking it to high schools will surely make us more civilized. Again, nothing in specific to this incident or similar such, just an overall approach which I feel should be priority and would also fetch the good standard moving forward. Government/car manufacturers will surely benefit themselves giving us all the more safety,, we will soon learn to know how to abuse them..
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:53   #16090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
... We need to correct the behavior and entire approach with the help of awareness and education. Usually such efforts may take a generation to show the results. ..
Absolutely agree about creating the awareness part among our people too.

Today I witnessed a two wheeler skid in the rainy road ahead and a family fall down on the road. Two were children one 4 year old boy crying and the other maybe 5 year old little girl just walking towards the pavement. Passers by were immediate to help them and it appeared nothing serious as it was a very slow skid.

Neverthless, I felt really bad/sad seeing the children get hurt for no fault of theirs.
I believe no human being if "really" aware of the consequences and peril involved will intentionally put themselves in danger or break the rules etc.
For Example:
Most Indians know that a family with two kids can ride on a two wheeler, it sounds easy and convenient and i'm sure most of the earlier generation among us as kids would have been taken in the same manner. To the mases in India, it appears like the most obvious option and they see no other options (although safer options exist)

What they do not realize is what exactly would happen and how it would happen if the two wheeler skids and how exactly dynamics and law of physics would take over to cause the kid in their arms or petrol tank to get flung if the two wheeler topples for some reason.

Educated people carry small kids in their arms in the front seats of cars with airbags which has the potential to open explosively in a calamity and harm the child.
I've seen people wrapping seat belts around them and the kid they are holding, even a sudden emergency braking could potentially crush the child with their weight, force multiplied due the involved momentum.

As you rightly mentioned, road safety awareness should be made an intrinsic part of the curriculum. This will be the longer roadmap.

As an immediate measure, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting should convey the dangers of overloading two wheelers with the whole family and the danger of seating children and most importantly show the consequences in video clips before programs, films, news and wherever they can get an opportunity. The hazard and consequences of doing anything improper on the road has to be conveyed bluntly like they do abroad. The message has to hit the people hard and not in a polished way.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd August 2014 at 21:01.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 10:05   #16091
BHPian

Drinking and driving on the rise in the capital city.

Quote:
After drunk drivers killed two pavement dwellers and injured 15 in two accidents on Sunday and Wednesday, the week ended with yet another pavement accident outside north Delhi's Inderlok Metro station early on Saturday.

A speeding Hyundai Accent car smashed parked rickshaws on which their drivers were sleeping before it shot over the pavement and turned turtle after hitting an electricity pole. Altogether six people were injured, four of them seriously.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-24_08_2014_002_033_008.jpg

Quote:
A speeding Delhi Police minibus, being driven by an allegedly drunk assistant sub-inspector, shot through the central verge and hit a scooter on the opposite carriageway near Daryaganj in central Delhi around 4pm on Saturday.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-24_08_2014_003_016_007.jpg

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40833287.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40819910.cms

Action taken by the Delhi Traffic Police:

Quote:
In what may turn out to be a record of sorts, the traffic police have sent out a list of about 16,000 drivers, most of them repeat offenders, to the transport department, recommending suspension of licence. Special commissioner of police (traffic) Muktesh Chander confirmed the move.

The list comprises drivers of both private and commercial vehicles and drunk driving tops the list of violations they were involved in.
Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40832924.cms
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 11:12   #16092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Drinking and driving on the rise in the capital city.

Quote:
In what may turn out to be a record of sorts, the traffic police have sent out a list of about 16,000 drivers, most of them repeat offenders, to the transport department, recommending suspension of licence. Special commissioner of police (traffic) Muktesh Chander confirmed the move.
The list comprises drivers of both private and commercial vehicles and drunk driving tops the list of violations they were involved in.
Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40832924.cms
And what next? Those 16000 would have their license status as suspended in the RTO records but they'll still drive around and claim that they never knew about it. How are they going to ensure those licenses are revoked?

EDIT:
We should have a process where the license is confiscated if found to be drunk driving (even in case of first offence) and the driver needs to go through the RTO to get the license back after the suspension period.

Last edited by zenren : 24th August 2014 at 11:18.
Old 24th August 2014, 12:38   #16093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
We should have a process where the license is confiscated if found to be drunk driving (even in case of first offence) and the driver needs to go through the RTO to get the license back after the suspension period.
The article seems to be about Delhi. At least in Mumbai, that is how it happens - your license (and even your vehicle, if you do not have a sober licensed person with you) is taken away from you if you fail a DUI check, at the check point itself. I believe the same is the case for Bangalore too.

Last edited by binand : 24th August 2014 at 12:39.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 07:51   #16094
Team-BHP Support

Five Killed & Many Injured in Accident at Chandigarh

A SWIFT rammed into Volvo , killing 3 teenagers in Car and 2 persons in Volvo besides injuring many passengers of Bus

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140824/cth1.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident11.jpg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th August 2014 at 07:53.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 08:01   #16095
Senior - BHPian

This happened on Saturday in the morning at the entrance of the Nagawara Flyover towards Banaswadi. Those blocks placed as the median are a real death trap.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0328_1-large.jpg
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks