Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 19:32   #16261
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
And these type of freak accidents remind me why a scoprio is always safer

Glad it wasn't a huge branch which wouldn't have made a difference on the model of the car.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 19:45   #16262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Glad it wasn't a huge branch which wouldn't have made a difference on the model of the car.
Actually it was, the photo only shows the part of the broken branch, the main piece couldn't be photographed as it fell into the nearby ditch. In the mornings the surveyor spot surveyed it and I was lazy to click the photos.
Old 18th September 2014, 19:45   #16263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a personal experience in my beloved scorpio about 2 weeks back. Heavy torrential rains and winds were harrasing my neighbourhood and I was on my way back home from cochin when a branch broke and fell on to my vehicle. I was almost doing 80kmph due to the vaccant roads and to be frank never expected this type of an accident. The photos were taken for insurance purposes. And these type of freak accidents remind me why a scoprio is always safer
Something falling from a tree in heavy weather is not really freak or unexpected. On the other hand, we can't foresee if, where and when it would happen.

I suspect that a slower speed would have been safer in bad weather --- but of course that is a very general comment without knowledge of the road.

Glad your vehicle kept you safe, but credit seems due to the glass, which might be just as tough on another vehicle.

Even in the city, driving in "green" areas during bad weather is scary. A smaller branch hit the roof of our car recently. Not big enough to damage, but big enough to frighten. A huge branch, or a whole tree can often be fatal.

Welcome to Team-BHP: congratulations on your first post. Hoping your insurance negotiations and repairs go well, and you are able to post about happier events in the future
Old 18th September 2014, 19:49   #16264
BHPian

Quote:
Heavy torrential rains and winds were harrasing my neighbourhood and I was on my way back home from cochin when a branch broke and fell on to my vehicle. I was almost doing 80kmph due to the vaccant roads and to be frank never expected this type of an accident.
Glad that it was a small branch - wood and plant structures such as palm leaves, etc. have a lot more destructive power than it appears.

By the way was it safe to do 80kmph in that kind of weather? In my opinion that is tempting fate, no matter how good a driver you are.
Old 18th September 2014, 20:27   #16265
Senior - BHPian

About the safety of the Scorpio you should perhaps read up on an accident on the Expressway a few years ago where the rains brought down a huge stone onto a Scorpio resulting in the death of two people including a woman.
Old 18th September 2014, 21:20   #16266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
By the way was it safe to do 80kmph in that kind of weather? In my opinion that is tempting fate, no matter how good a driver you are.
Yeah I know. A bad decision on my part. But the empty roads was a temptation and unfortunately I fell for it.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:22   #16267
BHPian

Bollywood actress Sonali Bendre's relatives died in an accident in Karnataka.
Link below :

http://www.bollywoodmantra.com/news/...es-away/15672/

Bollywood actress Sonali Bendre’s brother and uncle died in a road accident. The mishap took place near Halekuppa Gate on Mulbagal-Nangali road on national highway 75 on Tuesday September 16 morning.
The accident occurred when a Hyundai i10 car got into a head-on collision with a Tata Sumo vehicle. Over five people were injured in the incident.
Sonali’s brother and uncle were returning to Karnataka from Tirupati by car, according to police officials.
Kailas Vilas Sonani (35) from Baramati in Pune district, Maharasthra, died on the spot, while Kiran Sonani (40) lost his life at R L Jalappa Hospital. Two more people were injured.
The case has registered in Nangali police station.
Old 21st September 2014, 21:56   #16268
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another combination of median and vehicle, with the median in the middle of the vehicle, on R K Mutt Road, Mylapore, just by the BSNL exchange, tonight. It looked as if it might have been a reckless overtake.

The traffic hold up was caused more by on-lookers than by the accident itself, so I did not add to it. Hoping there were no people injured.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:32   #16269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I had heard about something similar that involved drunken driving of some youngsters in a Fortuner which met with such an accident in Kannur. Heard that the guys were pretty influential and got away without much legal hassles but they were dealt with very badly by local guys and was in bad shape before cops arrived.
Don't you own the Yeti and weren't you driving it @
When: Saturday 28th Decemeber 2013. 6.45 PM onwards
Where: Calicut Beach road and other inner cross roads??

I later understood that it was part of the Pete's speed run.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3331357
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:44   #16270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Don't you own the Yeti and weren't you driving it @
When: Saturday 28th Decemeber 2013. 6.45 PM onwards
Where: Calicut Beach road and other inner cross roads??

I later understood that it was part of the Pete's speed run.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3331357
Very true! I told the guys who organized it the very same thing. Not to expect me in such a convoy again. The guys ahead and behind were quite amateurs I guess but in really powerful cars and I was to keep up my position. But that was it. The moment I returned back after the ride, I told 'em that this is not right! Told that a proper briefing should be given to the drivers expected to take part in the event. That was madness what happened that day and one which I would never wanna be part of ever! Thanks for bringing this up and hope the other drivers who drove like mad to make it a poor show are reading this! Not proud of it and experience taught me not to unknowingly be part of something which I do not support!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 22nd September 2014 at 12:51.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:10   #16271
Team-BHP Support

Spotted a damaged Pearl Silver Esteem near Hosakerehalli Cross signal (BSK 3rd Stage) around 8.30 AM today. The car had rear-ended a BMTC Volvo, presumably when taking the downhill right turn from the signal. No further details and no pics (was riding and didn't have the phone on me either).

The car bore the reg# KA 04 XX 6160 and had a LTD Sticker on the right rear fender. Pretty bad damage on the car (front bumper and bonnet completely crumpled, windscreen smashed on the right side), the bus had a bent rear bumper. T-BHPian? Anyone has any further details on what happened?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd September 2014 at 13:15.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:51   #16272
BHPian

Slightly as I spotted this in Dubai. A C63 AMG overtook us and was driving rather rashly and not following lane discipline, which is not a common sight here. A few mins later, saw the car crashed into a road side bush. The driver had the door open and trying to back up the car which was stuck, but could see the wheels spinning in the grassy surface. Might have had to get help to pull out the car. Could not see the damage to the front as it was completely inside the bush. Anyways he was lucky it wasn't a concrete wall instead of the bush. That would have totalled the car!
Old 24th September 2014, 20:48   #16273
BHPian

Bus crash kills 23 in northern India.

http://news.yahoo.com/bus-crash-kill...115805643.html

A horrific car collision in Ahmedabad has been captured on camera. Eyewitnesses say two cars were racing each other early on Thursday morning when the accident happened.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/caught-on...780-3-238.html

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2014 at 12:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 26th September 2014, 14:46   #16274
BHPian

Saw this accident while on the way to work today morning. This happened near SRM Medical College. The entire stretch from Guduvanchery till Katangulathur was choked. The complete tyre along with its shoulder set in the front had broken. Looks like he was overspeeding.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140926_085528.jpg  

Old 26th September 2014, 20:15   #16275
Distinguished - BHPian

A Maruti DZire in Kolkata hit on both sides and now seized by the W.B. police.The hawkers however display their wares beside the car to make hay and do not want to lose business in this Durga Puja season.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-carpics-052.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-carpics-047.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-carpics-053.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-carpics-054.jpg

Most Viewed