Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 19:35   #16471
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Ok guess we are going way off topic here but without a proper investigation we do not know who is at fault here. Being an old German car it could also have been a case of some electronic failure or unintended acceleration that could have caused this accident.

And even with a proper investigation I'm highly doubtful they will be able to find out anything wrong with the car (even if there was something wrong). So it's better we don't blame drivers in such kind of accidents.
Most probably it was a case of overspeeding, what caused the overspeeding is anybody's guess but IMO it cannot be any electronic malfunction or anything of that sort. Sample this - a modern strong monocoque breaks into 2 pieces ,that is quite unheard. AFAIK all of the strength & impact bearing ability of a modern car is in its chassis & its got to take quite a lot of force to break it. And curiously the driver survived & the passenger sitting at the front & backseat died. The rear passenger as a matter of fact died on the spot & the front passenger died a little later as per the reports.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10320302_10152571117011696_780564934681147818_n.jpg  

trinity0114 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 19:52   #16472
Distinguished - BHPian

Insane people. And there are thousands more of them. I myself don't understand how do we inculcate proper driving etiquette. Everyone is just busy breaking all the rules and blaming the rest of the road users for being idiots. The driver and passengers of this BMW deserved what they got. No sympathies at all. Infact I am very relieved that it was a tree that they collided into and not another Human/Animal.

The only way to prevent such incidents in our country is to electronically limit all cars to 120 kmph. I am not aware of any stretch in our country where you can legally do more than that speed. So what is the point of allowing anything above that.

Last edited by drmohitg : 27th October 2014 at 19:55.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 19:54   #16473
Team-BHP Support

It'll need one hell of an imagination to explain such catastrophic damage on a relatively mundane everyday street caused by a technical malfunction.

Even assuming something went wrong with the car, I think the pictures speak louder than anything else. Driver 'processor malfunction' was a major factor here, if not the only one.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 20:02   #16474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Ok guess we are going way off topic here but without a proper investigation we do not know who is at fault here. Being an old German car it could also have been a case of some electronic failure or unintended acceleration that could have caused this accident.

And even with a proper investigation I'm highly doubtful they will be able to find out anything wrong with the car (even if there was something wrong). So it's better we don't blame drivers in such kind of accidents.

Guy travelling at absurd speed wraps car around tree --- and we shouldn't blame drivers for this kind of accident?

Oh, .
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 21:02   #16475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Insane people. And there are thousands more of them. I myself don't understand how do we inculcate proper driving etiquette. Everyone is just busy breaking all the rules and blaming the rest of the road users for being idiots. The driver and passengers of this BMW deserved what they got. No sympathies at all. Infact I am very relieved that it was a tree that they collided into and not another Human/Animal.

The only way to prevent such incidents in our country is to electronically limit all cars to 120 kmph. I am not aware of any stretch in our country where you can legally do more than that speed. So what is the point of allowing anything above that.
I am not sure if the passengers deserved it, but it is very sad to see things happening on the roads.

A very good point on the electronic speed limit. The new government has promised to bring strict laws, but it would be good to see if this is also included. I guess most of the drivers would hate to see this law
Old 27th October 2014, 22:03   #16476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I am not sure if the passengers deserved it, but it is very sad to see things happening on the roads.
From the description it looks like all of them were out on a joy ride. I really doubt at such high speeds the other 2 people in the car were sound asleep. And if not then they must be blamed too for not having the presence of mind to ask the driver to slow down to more humane speeds. Anyways they paid the price for it. RIP.
Old 27th October 2014, 22:20   #16477
Senior - BHPian

You all will be shocked with the number of unintended acceleration cases with a BMW. Just read the link below of actual tales by BMW customers

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/131...X3-anyone-else

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609305

I don't how many of you heard the person actually talking right before he crashed his Toyota Camry in US and died due to unintended acceleration. But if you heard it you will be shocked and if it occurred in a Toyota there is no telling why it won't occur in a BMW or any other car for that matter.

Though all news reports may point to it being a Driver error or drunk driving case , I suspect a car's mechanical or electrical failure as well. Check out the number of luxury car crash's on our accident thread alone , not all luxury car drivers drink and crash their rides.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 27th October 2014 at 22:46.
Old 27th October 2014, 22:54   #16478
Senior - BHPian

How did these reporters find out the 200 kph number ? Any vehicle hitting a pole or a tree at high speeds would wrap itself around that object and not break apart like this.

Looks more like the ikon accident on the Worli sea face

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ndia-pics.html
Old 27th October 2014, 23:18   #16479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
How did these reporters find out the 200 kph number ? Any vehicle hitting a pole or a tree at high speeds would wrap itself around that object and not break apart like this.

Looks more like the ikon accident on the Worli sea face

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ndia-pics.html
That Ikon too hit a pole and got sliced.
Old 28th October 2014, 09:32   #16480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Question for pisthpeeps : If you were on a highway middle lane, there was no other traffic, he over took you from left and came back to middle lane rather abruptly. Why did you not take evasive action? Swerved to right lane? Granted he was an idiot but...
And why not keep an eye on any vehicle which is overtaking by using peripheral vision
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 16:30   #16481

in the 2nd pic i believe i see the top of a beer bottle (KFS) which would explain the carefree attitude of the driver and the passengers
Old 28th October 2014, 17:00   #16482
BHPian

Its an M3 i think.

But wow, i cant get my head around the amount power it would have required to break a car!

Link below shows a video clip of the car after the acciddnt

https://in.screen.yahoo.com/editors-...083300446.html
Old 28th October 2014, 17:19   #16483
BHPian

Way back in late 90's a well known business man from Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu, met with a similar accident on his Merc E. Like this case, the Merc too broke into two pieces on hitting a tree. It was said that the driver attempted to avoid hitting a goat, lost control and rammed into a tree at very high speed. Later we heard people from Merc came down for inspecting the cause of break.
Nothing outbreaks the laws of physics. One should respect that.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 28th October 2014 at 17:22.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 17:19   #16484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Some more pics of the BMW accident in ludhiana. As per the local police the car was being driven at speeds of 200 kmph when the driver lost control of the car & it hit a roadside tree & ended up into pieces. The car in question is said to be a BMW 320i.
This is shit scary!
BMW? I want to see that tree which sliced a BMW into three pieces.
Old 28th October 2014, 17:37   #16485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
BMW? I want to see that tree which sliced a BMW into three pieces.
Man! Looking at this makes me want to buy a Volvo with a roll-cage wearing a helmet and a biker suit.
That pic will take me a while to forget it.

Or another way is to put family photo in the front of car dashboard as discussed in other thread.

BMW just became "Beware My Wrath"

Most Viewed