Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 12:17   #16501
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavegur View Post
Its an M3 i think.
The car isn't a M3, but rather a 320d/320i with //M badges. Going through some facebook posts, I seriously doubt that the car ended upon this fate due to rash driving and continuously pushing the car to limits. The attached pics here add evidence to it.

May the departed souls Rest In Peace.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20141029-11.54.59.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10357711_10204176519161698_3550119172845697892_o.jpg  

Last edited by E = mc˛ : 29th October 2014 at 12:25.
Old 29th October 2014, 12:31   #16502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Holy Smoke!!! 200 Kms???# I really have never seen a BMW crack up like this at least here in India. In fact its surprising that one person really got away with his life inspite of this unimaginable wrecking!! Wonder what gets into minds of people who drive these high end cars - Attitude? that makes them drive at 200Kms...I would want to sit in a BMW one day and experience what it feels like....grrrrr!!
From a person who has taken his car to those speeds and much higher a couple of times for a few seconds, let me tell you, that it doesn't feel good at all. Almost all of your brain is focused on the next 2-3kms of visible asphalt horizon and their sides, and even if you know there is absolutely nobody around as far as you can see, you have to keep telling yourself that's not enough, and that laws of estimation at over 200kph are totally different, India or otherwise.

After having reached those speeds you realize that it was a bad idea , and that the right handed bend (and the cow on the side of it) that was in the far-off distance has come in a matter of seconds... you then frantically reach for the brakes trying to slow down for the corner and just when you feel like you got it under control and are taking the corner slowly, you look at the speedo... the car is still doing 140.

At those speeds you lose your sense of perspective. If 200 seems fast to you, braking down to 100 will seem like you are almost about to stop. Doing such speeds, especially on roads here, where the road is used by cows stupid kids and trailers alike, is not just a bad decision, it is almost suicidal.

And yes, though I do not regret having done those speeds since I was as safe as I could be, I have learned that I should never be doing speeds like that again. It's just not worth it. Unless I was on an Autobahn or a racetrack.

Cheers

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 29th October 2014 at 12:37.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:46   #16503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Some more pics of the BMW accident in ludhiana. As per the local police the car was being driven at speeds of 200 kmph when the driver lost control of the car & it hit a roadside tree & ended up into pieces. The car in question is said to be a BMW 320i.
Ive been in a crash myself and im still dealing with the police case that followed , five years on.

One thing ive learnt is that anything these cops will tell you particularly speed claims,are off the bat speculation. the police force doesnt have the skill , knowledge , general expertise or even intellectual capacity to investigate and come up with logical answers.

Your average police officer has an IQ less than that of a ten year old and the overconfidence of a teenager. They will estimate speeds without any knowledge of what that speed feels like or what it can do to a car.

Therefore you will be smart to ignore that piece of information.

Btw in my experience the speed of this vehicle wouldve been a lot lower than 200. more like 100-120 at the time of impact max!
mycarhasablower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 13:24   #16504
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I do not know what are you guys discussing about? Had the driver been alert and responsible, this incident would not have happened. As in this case, no one else is to be blamed, but the driver of that particular BMW.
thats a bit rude ! other than vehicle malfunction cases, every accident IS driver error. So, whats the whole point of this thread ?
- to know about accidents & see accident pictures, deduce what happened
- so that it serves as a warning to whoever reads the thread
Old 29th October 2014, 13:49   #16505
Senior - BHPian

This video on You Tube Issued by The Hyderabad traffic police is an eye opener for all that should not be done in the traffic intersections.

Last edited by arnabchak : 29th October 2014 at 13:51.
arnabchak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 15:48   #16506

Cant believe that this is the state of a Beemer!! It just cannot be speed alone that caused something like this
Old 29th October 2014, 16:17   #16507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
Cant believe that this is the state of a Beemer!! It just cannot be speed alone that caused something like this
I would think an underbody impact of considerable magnitude was somehow involved in this accident.

Also note, that the roofs and side have retained their shape more or less- so I am of the view that it's likely an underbody impact.

The front side being mangled is in my view - after such an impact due to the driver loosing control.

I cannot even otherwise begin to think what caused the solid steel chassis to break apart.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:45   #16508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
From a person who has taken his car to those speeds and much higher a couple of times for a few seconds, let me tell you, that it doesn't feel good at all. Almost all of your brain is focused on the next 2-3kms of visible asphalt horizon and their sides, and even if you know there is absolutely nobody around as far as you can see, you have to keep telling yourself that's not enough, and that laws of estimation at over 200kph are totally different, India or otherwise.
Actually i was on the same notes as you - but anger mixed with sarcascm. It was more of a rant than my wish to do it. Given such a car, I would never want to touch hellish speeds and bring down my blessed life to such an abrupt end!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Your average police officer has an IQ less than that of a ten year old and the overconfidence of a teenager.
I just love this statement!! A million likes .

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2014 at 18:13. Reason: Posts edited & merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts.
Old 29th October 2014, 22:14   #16509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
Believe it.

Sometime on this forum, someone posted to the effect that they always thought nobody could die in a Mercedes. It's like saying that nobody gets pregnant the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I cannot even otherwise begin to think what caused the solid steel chassis to break apart.
Actually, I can! I wonder what the origin of this car was. I don't know if it still happens (but, most likely it does) but the used to be something in the UK used-car trade called a "ringer."

What's a ringer? Here's the recipe...

Take two written-off cars, one with a more-or-less-ok front end, and one with a more-or-less-ok back end.

Cut off and discard damaged ends. Weld good front end to good rear end. Respray.

You now have a vehicle that looks completely ok, but is severely lacking in structural integrity.

Well, it's a possibility. In this case, I'm still backing the recipe Driver error, with too much speed and too much tree.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 23:14   #16510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Take two written-off cars, one with a more-or-less-ok front end, and one with a more-or-less-ok back end.

Cut off and discard damaged ends. Weld good front end to good rear end. Respray.

You now have a vehicle that looks completely ok, but is severely lacking in structural integrity.
Great point. Here's another example of a ringer a.k.a 'a sliced lemon'. I remember seeing this type of crime in episode 3 of Auto Trader.
Take a look starting minute 3:00....

joybhowmik is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 23:20   #16511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Great point. Here's another example of a ringer a.k.a 'a sliced lemon'. I remember seeing this type of crime in episode 3 of Auto Trader.
Take a look starting minute 3:00....

This happens a lot out of meerut, but mostly for esteems, at the most accents, not above that.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st October 2014 at 12:07. Reason: Removing video in quote
Old 30th October 2014, 11:13   #16512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Misunderstandings. If you remain in the middle lane and expect all overtakers to use the right-hand lane, then you are taking up 2/3rds of the road.

It is the job of overtaking traffic to move back to the left after overtaking. All the way. Unless it is occupied by other traffic , or dangerous in some way, the left-hand lane should be used.

If a person is leaving an empty, clear lane on their left they should not grumble if other traffic uses it.

Rightly said. If just this rule is being kept by most of the drivers, our roads will be freed from a whole mess of zigzag driving from fast cars. If we think about it, it's not at all hard to follow. I heard about this from a friend who lived in Germany for long, and I've cared to follow this most of the times. So I haven't had to witness many scary overtakings through the left side. If we leave the right lane free, faster vehicles will overtake us in the right way, without giving headache or surprises to anyone.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:40   #16513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post

After having reached those speeds you realize that it was a bad idea , and that the right handed bend (and the cow on the side of it) that was in the far-off distance has come in a matter of seconds... you then frantically reach for the brakes trying to slow down for the corner and just when you feel like you got it under control and are taking the corner slowly, you look at the speedo... the car is still doing 140.

At those speeds you lose your sense of perspective. If 200 seems fast to you, braking down to 100 will seem like you are almost about to stop. Doing such speeds, especially on roads here, where the road is used by cows stupid kids and trailers alike, is not just a bad decision, it is almost suicidal.

And yes, though I do not regret having done those speeds since I was as safe as I could be, I have learned that I should never be doing speeds like that again. It's just not worth it. Unless I was on an Autobahn or a racetrack.

Cheers
+ 1 . Couldn't agree with you more.

Except for that one incident, a lesson learnt after that, I've always taken my foot off the accelerator well in time before "...the right handed bend (and the cow on the side of it) that was in the far-off distance" catches up so that there is no need to "frantically reach for the brakes trying to slow down for the corner" and "...under control and are taking the corner slowly, you look at the speedo... the car is still doing 140."

Last edited by RSUDARSANAN : 30th October 2014 at 12:05.
Old 31st October 2014, 12:39   #16514
Senior - BHPian

Saw this 5-series BMW at the Bangalore BMW workshop. Apparently he went into a pot hole at about 140 km/hr. Its going to be an expensive fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4572.jpg  

Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 12:40   #16515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Saw this 5-series BMW at the Bangalore BMW workshop. Apparently he went into a pot hole at about 140 km/hr. Its going to be an expensive fix.
Can a pothole do that?

Most Viewed