Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 20:48   #16651
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Terrible accident on the Greater Nodia Expressway. A Scorpio rammed a truck from behind while trying to overtake, killing 5 occupants. The crash happened at a high speed necessitating the use of a crane and cutting equipment to take out the bodies.
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...essway-horror/
Old 17th November 2014, 21:56   #16652
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry if I gave the impression of someone who avoids his civic duty. I am an orthopedic surgeon so attend to atleast 5 such people every week. My query was more to understand the other bhpians. I for one would never move an injured person till I have appropriate facilities to shift him without causing harm. I am well trained in ATLS, I'm an instructor. Nowadays with 108, help is never more than 15 mins away. I've recently started to do some work twice a week in a peripheral center in addition to my regular work in Bangalore and was appalled to see patients being bundled up and brought in the back seat or dicky of a car or auto. We need the patient on an empty stomach, but the first thing that is done is pour water down their throat into the lungs.
I would like to congratulate everyone of you for your humanity. But please instruct yourselves in life support.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 00:33   #16653
BHPian

A video showing how important is it to not just have an under run bar, but a good one that meets the best of standards and not the minimum.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 18th November 2014 at 00:39.
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 09:02   #16654
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the accident that's doing rounds in all major Kerala papers today. The director of the famous educational institution passed away in this accident. Happened at Krishnagiri when he was going to Bangalore. RIP

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20141117wa0026.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20141117wa0029.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 09:21   #16655
BHPian

Isn't the car supposed to take the impact much better than this? Any clue on how the event unfolded?
Old 18th November 2014, 09:25   #16656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Isn't the car supposed to take the impact much better than this? Any clue on how the event unfolded?
Heard it collided with a truck. From the looks, it cant definitely go underside the truck from the rear considering the height of the RR. Might have been a side impact where it went underneath the truck. Or it should have been a tipper.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:51   #16657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Heard it collided with a truck. From the looks, it cant definitely go underside the truck from the rear considering the height of the RR.
Man that Freelander is History !!

Though these cars come through with brilliant NCAP ratings, I guess nobody can predict or portray on how an accident will impact the body shell.

This is quite scary considering the sort of cars we have in India today.
Old 18th November 2014, 10:00   #16658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
What do you do in such a situation?
Simple, metal and fabric or human life, choice is quiet easy yes washing it off might take few day, but leaving someone without helping will haunt me forever!
giri1.8 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 10:29   #16659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard it collided with a truck. From the looks, it cant definitely go underside the truck from the rear considering the height of the RR. Might have been a side impact where it went underneath the truck. Or it should have been a tipper.
It is easy to see that the crumple zone has not even come into play. Definitely went underside which is why the roof, a and b pillars are absolutely destroyed.
Old 18th November 2014, 10:48   #16660
Senior - BHPian

The safest cars can be safe only up to a point. At speeds well in excess of 100/150 kmph (just hypothetical) one can't really predict how things will pan out.

Just quoting from the Deccan Chronicle -- "SCMS group vice-chairman Pradeep P.Thevanoor, 46, died on the spot when the Range Rover he was driving rammed a lorry from behind and turned turtle at Kaveripatnam in Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu, around 2 am on Monday."

Since it happened at around 2 am, it could be that he dozed off momentarily.

Last edited by wilful : 18th November 2014 at 10:50. Reason: typo
Old 18th November 2014, 11:01   #16661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
The safest cars can be safe only up to a point. At speeds well in excess of 100/150 kmph (just hypothetical) one can't really predict how things will pan out.

Just quoting from the Deccan Chronicle -- "SCMS group vice-chairman Pradeep P.Thevanoor, 46, died on the spot when the Range Rover he was driving rammed a lorry from behind and turned turtle at Kaveripatnam in Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu, around 2 am on Monday."

Since it happened at around 2 am, it could be that he dozed off momentarily.
RIP to the departed soul. Night driving to be avoided at any cost. In case of any emergency, hire a driver or leave early morning.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:15   #16662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
RIP to the departed soul. Night driving to be avoided at any cost. In case of any emergency, hire a driver or leave early morning.
Absolutely. Yours truly makes it a point not to do long distance after 8ish at night. Of course - accidents can happen at any time of the day but one tries to bring down the risk percentage.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 11:17   #16663
BHPian

Completey shocked to see the Range Rover turned to a heap of metal. As others have commented, the car can only do so much. If you really want to test the limits then the highway is surely not the place to do it.
I really want to take up driving at night, as it is relatively less occupied but then these incidents keep dettering me.

In this incident, looks like he dozed off and went under a lorry/tipper. May his soul rest in peace.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:56   #16664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Isn't the car supposed to take the impact much better than this?
Quote:
Heard it collided with a truck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
..rammed a lorry from behind and turned turtle..
Both the A-Pillars have taken a direct hit and collapsed flat inwards on the front passenger space and pulling down the roof.

There is no car/suv however well designed that can take a direct hit on the A pillar and remain intact.
Its the truck's design that is at fault here that did not even give the car a chance to collide at the bumper level and crumple in the right way saving the passenger cell. Clearly the truck didn't have any under-run bar in this case.

Its quite unfortunate that almost all the trucks/heavy vehicles in India have high bumpers and are running without any under-run bars.

The law has to be amended at the earliest to fit strong under-run bars in the back and sides of trucks (for existing trucks with a deadline and new trucks with immediate effect) to prevent cars from sliding inderneath these vehicles. There has to be checks/regulations to ensure that these bars are strong enough to prevent them from giving away.
Even the front bumpers of heavy vehicles (buses and trucks) have to be lowered as much as possible to give a fair chance for smaller vehicles to collide at the bumper level during an unfortunate head-on collision.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th November 2014 at 12:05.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 12:19   #16665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Both the A-Pillars have taken a direct hit and collapsed flat inwards on the front passenger space and pulling down the roof.

There is no car/suv however well designed that can take a direct hit on the A pillar and remain intact.
Its the truck's design that is at fault here that did not even give the car a chance to collide at the bumper level and crumple in the right way saving the passenger cell. Clearly the truck didn't have any under-run bar in this case.

Its quite unfortunate that almost all the trucks/heavy vehicles in India have high bumpers and are running without any under-run bars.

The law has to be amended at the earliest to fit strong under-run bars in the back and sides of trucks (for existing trucks with a deadline and new trucks with immediate effect) to prevent cars from sliding inderneath these vehicles. There has to be checks/regulations to ensure that these bars are strong enough to prevent them from giving away.
Even the front bumpers of heavy vehicles (buses and trucks) have to be lowered as much as possible to give a fair chance for smaller vehicles to collide at the bumper level during an unfortunate head-on collision.
Was the rover equipped with air bags. I don't see them. May be that could have saved the driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks