Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 14:18   #16696
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Surprised to note the heavy vehicle inside city limits when they are normally kept at bay at the Octroi's and dont have permission to move within city limits at least during the day. What was such a huge vehicle doing in the city limits? Were there any casualties in the accident?
It happened during the night before , wihtout casualties.
Guess the incident happened due to 'on the job' graduation for trainee drivers..
Old 20th November 2014, 18:27   #16697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this on FB: https://www.facebook.com/Ajit.Menon2...04710521175351

This is the impact & both front passengers were wearing seat-belt.
Attachment 1310683
Generally if the seat belt is not worn, then the air bags will not function.
Old 20th November 2014, 18:46   #16698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Generally if the seat belt is not worn, then the air bags will not function.
I doubt that. None of the car manufacturers mention this anywhere, not in their manual nor by way of any warning stickers. Airbags do work in conjunction with seat belts in providing safety but I don't think they get deactivated if seatbelts are not worn.

Also if airbags were linked to wearing seatbelts it just makes is very easy for car companies to say "you did not wear seatbelt, so our airbags did not deploy". How can one provide proof of having worn seatbelts?
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 19:29   #16699
BHPian

Really sad to hear about the SCMS Kochi chief getting killed in the Freelander accident , some news reports say the airbags did not deploy , but seeing the pictures i can see the curtain airbags did deploy

Read that the vehicle rammed into a stationary truck and could have gone under the truck if it (truck) was not equipped with the mandatory rear crash guard.

Was quite puzzled initially that the Freelander SUV shell / body could not take the impact - but considering the speed , angle of impact etc i feel the impact/ Force might have been way to higher than it was designed for.

Last edited by The Observer : 20th November 2014 at 19:40.
Old 20th November 2014, 20:04   #16700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I doubt that. None of the car manufacturers mention this anywhere, not in their manual nor by way of any warning stickers. Airbags do work in conjunction with seat belts in providing safety but I don't think they get deactivated if seatbelts are not worn.

Also if airbags were linked to wearing seatbelts it just makes is very easy for car companies to say "you did not wear seatbelt, so our airbags did not deploy". How can one provide proof of having worn seatbelts?
You might be right, however, proof of having worn a seatbelt during a crash can easily be provided atleast in modern cars with pretensioners. The mechanism used, fires a piston in the event of abrupt deceleration due to an accident, which rapidly drives the spool around which the seatbelt is wrapped, to entirely remove any slack and pull the bodies of the passengers firmly into their seats in an optimum position for airbag deployment. This can only be used once so if not activated and used, the seatbelt is normal and manufacturers as well as insurance companies will know that you did not wear the seatbelt.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th November 2014 at 20:06.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 11:14   #16701
BHPian

Pileup on Mysore road, link from FB

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=745270058859759
Old 21st November 2014, 14:02   #16702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Pileup on Mysore road, link from FB

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=745270058859759
Its already posted here, couple of pages back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3584054
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:28   #16703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
Really sad to hear about the SCMS Kochi chief getting killed in the Freelander accident , some news reports say the airbags did not deploy , but seeing the pictures i can see the curtain airbags did deploy

Read that the vehicle rammed into a stationary truck and could have gone under the truck if it (truck) was not equipped with the mandatory rear crash guard.

Was quite puzzled initially that the Freelander SUV shell / body could not take the impact - but considering the speed , angle of impact etc i feel the impact/ Force might have been way to higher than it was designed for.

I believe the car involved in the accident is a Range Rover Sport Vogue. It is also mentioned in the news article. All safety features are designed to work within certain specified limits and in this case the impact forces were clearly beyond what they could handle. While under run bars do provide some degree of safety they may not help at all when you crash a two and half tonne SUV at extremely high speed. We haven't yet gotten to a point where all trucks are equipped with an under run bar so I guess it is futile to worry about their quality.
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:06   #16704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I see many people who save ICE (In Case of Emergency) numbers but use pattern/number lock which defeats the whole purpose of ICE. After my incident I have narrated it to many of my friends and family and have asked them not to use pattern/number lock.
Simplest implementation is to save your Name, Emergency Contact and Address on the wallpaper image. Sure it won't allow for anyone else to dial the number from your phone but they can definitely do so from their own phone or public phones. There are apps that allow you to save wallpapers with information both in App Store and Play Store.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 18:10   #16705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Saw this post on facebook. Posting this here as I couldnt find relevant thread.

From https://www.facebook.com/anil.nair.716970

I am quoting his words here..
"
Anil Nair added 3 new photos.
Airbag didn’t deploy? It’s because car didn’t collide properly!!!!
When my Toyota Ethios bashed a car head-on at the Ernakulam-Alleppey highway, I suffered injuries and my co-passenger was hospitalized for 2 weeks.
When I informed my Toyota dealer that Airbags did not deploy, their reply was, “It’s because you did not collide properly”. !!!!
Question is, ‘How must I collide for the airbags to function? How can I trust this vehicle again?’
Hope they will also give us training to bang our cars right so that air bags get deployed.
."
The sensors are placed in the frontal impact beam! In the picture, the driver side of the impact beam remains intact! No sign of impact on it. But, in the Latin NCAP test, the driver's side takes the impact and it triggers the airbags!
Reminds me of a fellow BHPian's accident in his Polo in Mumbai where it spun out and crashed in a ditch and the airbags didn't deploy!
Here's a screenshot from the crash test.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1416660018549.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1416660033548.jpg
Old 22nd November 2014, 21:09   #16706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
As a sincere advice, when on a two wheeler stick to the left. I am a victim of yielding to all bikers who feel it is all right to ride on the shoulder of a car. They simply don't understand how dangerous it can be.
On the ORR stretch > it is by far the most dangerous Road on bangalore as far as I am concerned. You see someone banged up everyday there.

Yes. I have started moving to the left and ride at 35-40 whenever I smell the traffic situation going out of hand. I avoid it in areas without street light though, as I see many people(esp. cabbies and truckers) parking on the left lane without turning on any lights. Due to the candlelights in the disguise of headlights that we get on our puny bikes, they won't be visible until they're less than just 100-150m away.
The things that are immediately needed on ORR are speed cameras with a speed limit of 50 km/h, heavy fine for the heavy vehicles if they hog up the right lane(just putting boards as they currently do won't help), stopping for passenger pickup/parking on left lane should also be heavily fined, proper street lights and proper lane markings. Lane markings won't help in case of a traffic jam, but from what I have observed, discipline definitely is a lot better in stretches with markings than the ones without it when the traffic is moving.

Sorry for the delayed response. I had not seen your quote since I'm not getting quote alert PMs anymore.

On topic: A few weeks back, I saw blood flowing on the ORR near BEL circle. Turned out it was from the head of an elderly gentleman who had apparently rear ended his activa into an Indicab. I don't know if he had strapped on his helmet, but I could see some blood smearings on the inner portion of the visor. The helmet was definitely a useless one that we see being sold for <500. It was an 'ISI' helmet. Seeing the blood on the visor, I think the impact had got transferred to his head through the helmet. Thankfully, some people had already started giving him first aid by the time I had reached there. He got his consciousness back after a few minutes and was taken to a hospital in an auto rickshaw.

Last edited by theredliner : 22nd November 2014 at 21:12.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:51   #16707
BHPian

Saw a Santro (or maybe i10) rear-ended into bus badly before Wakad chowk in Pune on the Mumbai Bangalore By-Pass highway after expressway. Time was around 10 to 10.15 pm. Bus had stopped in the extreme left lane and by the looks, it seemed like the car was doing insanely high speeds tail-gating some other vehicle. Maybe Tried to overtake from left and rear-ended the bus. This is very common on this by-pass road and just 2 days back there was a pile-up near Sus-Pashan road because of this very reason.

Saw a guy badly injured and a woman lying down in blood. People were already attending to them and ambulance was on its way. Didn't stop to avoid clogging traffic. Anyone knows what exactly happened?

Is it really so hard for people to understand the risks of tail-gating or is the IQ really that low? Or are we a thrill loving nation with param-gyaan (eternal knowledge)? Felt so sad for the lady for no fault of hers.
jagzrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 10:55   #16708
Senior - BHPian

A few clips from the Mangalore - Highway

And this is how I narrowly missed being reported in this thread

speedsatya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 11:00   #16709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
A few clips from the Mangalore - Highway

Yikes... I would have got a heart attack. The aux lights on my car have a long throw and hence lets me buy some time.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th November 2014 at 19:20. Reason: Quoted video removed.
Old 24th November 2014, 12:10   #16710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
That's extremely close. The guy looks well dressed and I couldn't see any vehicles stopped nearby. Since he did not flinch, I'm guessing he was under some kind of influence. The driver of the Swift that you overtook might also have got a minor heart attack since you had to swerve to save the idiot.

This also reminded me of a narrow escape, on NH7 somewhere near dindigul. I was doing somewhere between 80-90 Km/hr and it was round 7 o clock, a guy suddenly appeared from the bushes they grow on the divider and darted to the side of the road. I missed hitting him by about a foot or so.

Most Viewed