Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 20:20   #16891
BHPian

Too sad to read about the terrible loss. Rip
Hope we all take some learning out of this and educate our near and dear too for driving safe.
I also have a query. please excuse if its a stupid one. Also mods I'm not sure if this has been answered on any other forum. Please move it to appropriate thread if it has been.
If I end up hitting a two wheeler or a pedestrian without any fault of mine, what should be done? Should we inform the emergency number and take the injured to hospital? Also usually the fault comes to the owner of bigger vehicle. how do we justify ourselves and get rid of the legal hassles after the arrival of police etc. as the injured might not be willing to accept his fault.
Old 30th December 2014, 17:16   #16892
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw a very horrific site on way to office today. On Pali road connecting Surajkund to Gurgaon Faridabad Road, a Swift and a Vento had a head on collision at blind turn on a divider-less road. Most likely both doing a fairly high speed and atleast one travelling on the wrong side. Oil and broken parts were spewn on the tarmac. The Swift full frontal portion had just shattered, vanished! It looked like it had caught fire too. The Vento suffered less damage with only one side taking major brunt of the collision and the passenger cabin showing no signs of impact. Could not take a pic as the turn already a narrow one was difficult for everyone to navigate.
No post to this thread is a happy one, it is a grave reminder of an aspect we put last while choosing or driving our cars.
mandywanders is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 18:50   #16893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinnair View Post
I have read many posts where people advise driving at night since it is safer. Some Travelogue and route query posts speak of starting the journey at 3:00 am and so on. But I have my concerns-
1. How do you manage adequate sleep? Even the worst night owls I know usually are in bed by 2:00 am on most nights. If you have woken up at 7:00 the previous morning you have been awake for 19 hours almost.
I have made 3 AM starts a few times and on all those occasions, I was in bed by 7.30 or 8PM previous night so that I would at least get around 6-7 hours sleep before waking up at 2.30-2.45. If you are planning on an early start, at least ensure that 1-2 more folks would get adequate sleep. If the driver and navigator (someone to talk to so that you don't fall asleep) is awake, back seat passengers can complete their sleep during the first couple of hours.

Also, never try to do an early morning start after an exhausting day. The previous day should be relaxed so that your body is not too tired to be still exhausted after a 6 hour sleep.

Last edited by zenren : 30th December 2014 at 18:52.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 19:18   #16894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
If the driver and navigator (someone to talk to so that you don't fall asleep) is awake, back seat passengers can complete their sleep during the first couple of hours.
+1. The navigator's role is so important here, as I have realised on my several Bangalore Mumbai drives. A different perspective on road conditions / dangerous obstacles looming ahead really helps.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 20:07   #16895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Hemabhushan was a dear friend of mine. I am yet to recover from the shock. (Just back from cremating him)
This line disturbed me to a great extent. Hats off to your temperament.
I really feel sorry for the loss that their respective families had to bear.
Old 30th December 2014, 21:06   #16896
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this one in Bangalore on Sunday 28/12/2014. At this busy junction, while braking at a red signal, the Honda City hit a Hero Honda Splendour. The bike toppled and the drivers started arguing.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-blore-12302014-247.jpg
Old 30th December 2014, 21:44   #16897
BHPian

While I agree that night driving is OK as long as you are well rested, it is not always your fault that you end up in an accident on the highway. You can't control how the other party drives. Even if you are very careful, chances of meeting an accident go up multifold in that time period - 2am to 6am. It is better to avoid this slot completely.
venuvedam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 22:21   #16898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Saw this one in Bangalore on Sunday 28/12/2014. At this busy junction, while braking at a red signal, the Honda City hit a Hero Honda Splendour. The bike toppled and the drivers started arguing.

Attachment 1322877
I had a similar accident during my college days on my bike. The white paint for the pedestrian crossing would lead near-zero friction between road and tyres - it was like driving on ice if you had to brake. That was when I realized how dangerous those painted pedestrian crossings are if the vehicle in front of you brakes suddenly just in front of it.
Old 31st December 2014, 02:14   #16899
Senior - BHPian

Three trucks involved in a collision on the Mumbra bypass. Two of the trucks charred to ashes along with the unfortunate driver of the truck which jumped onto the oncoming lane and rammed into another truck. The driver of the truck which got hit has been injured, hopefully nothing life threatening, while the driver and cleaner of the third truck are unhurt, except for shock.

The two trucks were climbing the ascent from Mumbra side of the bypass, headed towards Thane, while the third truck was coming from Thane side towards Mumbra. There is a sharp left hander with a long, gradual descent which probably led to the truck picking up speed. Not sure if the right wheel of the truck went off the paved road into a ditch or some other reason, but it jumped over to the opposite lane and rammed into the oncoming truck. Apparently the diesel tank of one of the trucks burst just as the fire had started, and the fire spread through a diesel.
Old 31st December 2014, 10:15   #16900
Team-BHP Support

Friend shared this on HVK's Fb page:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10885313_10153040285489073_1592347634038316833_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10891718_10153040285399073_5489610053405385509_n.jpg

Location - Delhi. No further details.
Old 31st December 2014, 11:07   #16901
BHPian

An accident involving two of my best friends 7 years back. The vehicle( Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair) lost control while negotiating a sharp curve and dashed against a hillock of 50 ft height. Both of them survived the accident. Both of them had fractures of the forearm and few lacerations over the face and head due to the glass pieces. The car was a total loss.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-012.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-010.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-011.jpg
Old 1st January 2015, 09:11   #16902
Senior - BHPian

Malayalam newspapers are reporting that in a horrible accident early this morning, a car in which 6 students of TKM Engineering College, Kollam were travelling hit an oil tanker head-on. All 6 died. Apparently they were returning from a New Year party near Thiruvananthapuram. Early assessments suggest an overtaking maneuvre gone wrong.
Old 1st January 2015, 11:54   #16903
Senior - BHPian

Here's a link:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45713702.cms

From the article:
"The car was at high speed and it rammed into my lorry. The bodies were taken out with great difficulty. All of them died on the spot," the driver told the media.
Old 1st January 2015, 13:35   #16904
BHPian

Heard the truck driver speak on the radio that he saw the car coming head on and he braked and stopped completely. The car came on to him on the wrong side at such high speed that even after he stopped the truck, it rammed so hard to kill all six on the spot. This is what the truck driver said. Must have been at top speed hoping to pass clear when it hit. Saw on the news that it's an alto, and it's crushed! Cutting the car and taking out bodies took about an hour as per TV news.
Old 1st January 2015, 16:19   #16905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Malayalam newspapers are reporting that in a horrible accident early this morning, a car in which 6 students of TKM Engineering College, Kollam were travelling hit an oil tanker head-on. All 6 died. Apparently they were returning from a New Year party near Thiruvananthapuram. Early assessments suggest an overtaking maneuvre gone wrong.

Here's another link with a pic. RIP deceased.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/6-...s-truck-642659

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks