Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 16:58   #16936
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
let me add one more :
5) bus stops exactly at the start and end of flyovers/underpasses => this is the most significant contributor to jams on the ORR. The original intent of the flyover is lost, we have bus stops exactly where traffic splits into two or joins as one.
This seems to be a city-wide phenomenon then? Another case where it happens all the time is at the Domlur flyover when one has just descended from Indiranagar side towards Koramangala.
Old 6th January 2015, 17:08   #16937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
ORR has always been tricky for the following reasons.

3) Menacing BMTC Volvos, road belongs to them attitude.
I have seen, and got nearly knocked down by, BMTC Volvos racing against each other on ORR. Can you imagine two monsters coming at speed in your RVMs
Old 6th January 2015, 17:27   #16938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have seen, and got nearly knocked down by, BMTC Volvos racing against each other on ORR. Can you imagine two monsters coming at speed in your RVMs
Pretty regular experience these days all over town. Was being tailgated today by a maniac, honk-crazy, swinging like a bicycle BMTC Volvo from Domlur upto the HAL Museum, where I just stopped to a side and let him through. Crazy guy almost rammed me off the road a couple of times while I was ahead of him.

This isn't a one-off either. I've come across lots of horribly driven Volvos on the HAL - Residency Road - Lalbagh Road stretch. They jump signals with impunity, passing stationary or slow-moving vehicles with inches to spare. I've had plenty of near-misses while waiting at the signal at the Langford Road junction where the road curves right under the flyover:

Last edited by noopster : 8th January 2015 at 10:18. Reason: No expletives please, even in masked form!
Old 6th January 2015, 20:20   #16939
BHPian

Tragic accident in Jaipur. A doctor couple lost their five month old daughter when their car hit a road divider. The kid was sitting in mother's lap in the front seat and hit the windscreen from the impact. The parents escaped unharmed, however the kid succumbed to head injury sustained from the impact.

As per the news report, "The five-month-old girl Aradhya was in her mother's lap. There was intense fog in the night. Amit was driving the car. While taking a turn at Jawahar Circle, the car hit the divider. The father says that he couldn't see the divider due to fog."

Links: ToI & Dainik Bhaskar

Often we see mothers holding kids in their lap sitting in the front seat. While seat belts restrain the person, kids are thrown forward from the impact. Reiterates the importance of having baby seats for kids.
amikacin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 20:54   #16940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post
Tragic accident in Jaipur. A doctor couple lost their five month old daughter when their car hit a road divider. The kid was sitting in mother's lap in the front seat and hit the windscreen from the impact. The parents escaped unharmed, however the kid succumbed to head injury sustained from the impact.

As per the news report, "The five-month-old girl Aradhya was in her mother's lap. There was intense fog in the night. Amit was driving the car. While taking a turn at Jawahar Circle, the car hit the divider. The father says that he couldn't see the divider due to fog."

Links: ToI & Dainik Bhaskar

Often we see mothers holding kids in their lap sitting in the front seat. While seat belts restrain the person, kids are thrown forward from the impact. Reiterates the importance of having baby seats for kids.
Very very sorry for the baby girl to lose her life needlessly like this, but it's about time we as a nation (including the media) blame the real culprit(s) here, callous careless parents (both doctors, no less) rather than fog, that the ToI report so shamelessly blames for the tragedy.

What could've easily ended with a minor accident damage bill (if proper precautions were taken) has cost an innocent infant her life. I'm sure everyone involved will blame everything but themselves, chalk it all up to fate and move on

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2015 at 20:56.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 21:35   #16941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tragic accident in Jaipur.
The news says "Fog claimed the life of a five-month-old baby girl..."
Quote:
The father says that he couldn't see the divider due to fog."
So the father was driving blind and conveniently blamed the fog for his stupidity.
msdivy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 22:11   #16942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For this to happen at a circle in fog, what was the speed of the vehicle? This is a case fit for booking the driver for culpable homicide not amounting to murder IMO.
Old 7th January 2015, 00:41   #16943
BHPian

I agree that the parents are to be blamed for this incident. I myself have a young child and have been using a car seat from the beginning. I see small kids sitting in the lap on the front seat everywhere and wonder if these people have any idea of the serious risk involved. Really sad..
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 10:24   #16944
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads

Mod Note: Posts on child safety moved to this thread. Please use this thread to report and if necessary comment on accidents only. Thanks!
noopster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 16:52   #16945
BHPian

I think the fog compounded the situation in night. You need to reduce the speed and be double alert. Whatever might have been the reason for this accident, parents are paying a heavy price.

Need for the hour would be to realize why this mishap happened and the importance of baby seats your vehicle. Buckling up while sitting in the front seats might not be enough to protect the lives of your loved ones.

If the authorities and general public is not able to get this message, its just going to be another addition to annual statistics prepared by the Police on road fatalities.
Old 8th January 2015, 18:13   #16946
Senior - BHPian

And from the weird-accident-of-the-day department:
Quote:

Cash from MUV spills post-accident

Several lakhs of rupees concealed in the door panel of a multi-utility vehicle (MUV) fell on the road after the vehicle met with an accident near Madukkarai on Wednesday. Police said that the vehicle, with three occupants, was proceeding from Erode to Malappuram in Kerala.

The vehicle reportedly collided head-on with a Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) bus proceeding to Arisipalayam at the Bodipalayam Junction.

The MUV was badly damaged and the cash fell out from one of the doors and onto the road in the impact of the collision.
Link:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6765819.ece

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2015 at 11:53. Reason: Adding extract of the article in keeping with fair usage practice
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 18:43   #16947
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420722629.400924.jpg

Meanwhile in Delhi, people still driving blindly in this foggy weather. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. Such accidents have become really commonplace in this weather. It has especially become hell for bikers as some cars still zoom past at breakneck speeds in this low visibility.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 07:59   #16948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Attachment 1325409

Meanwhile in Delhi, people still driving blindly in this foggy weather. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. Such accidents have become really commonplace in this weather. It has especially become hell for bikers as some cars still zoom past at breakneck speeds in this low visibility.
Unfortunately people have forgotten the art of patience to drive slowly in such conditions maintaining sufficient distance too.
Old 9th January 2015, 10:38   #16949
BHPian

I think the culprit is not just the fog, the headlights. When the light passes through the fog it disperses and makes the fog more opaque and blocks the vision esp when the light temp is more towards white. I suspect either the lights from the same car which involves in the accident or the high beams from the opposite vehicle is blocking the vision of the driver. Its just a thought, needs to verify this in a real situation. Example of this kind of glare is there in the prev accident picture, nothing can be seen at the other side of Santro.

BTW, driving in lowbeam is recommended if fog lamps are absent as there will be less dispersion of light and can see through the fog.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 9th January 2015 at 10:46.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 10:55   #16950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post

I agree, being someone who drives to work on a bike I take roads which are empty. Even though visibility is low, at least I am not at risk being run over by a speeding car or bus.

Most Viewed