Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 14:33   #17011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
This happened at a residential construction site where a biker got hit by the reckless truck driver.
According to the residents these truck drivers were often spotted driving carelessly in this area.
The rider is battling for his life.
Looks too bad, I hope rider survives and is back on roads soon. Bike looks new.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:37   #17012
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
if an overtaking car comes on to a bikers lane => the biker can easily move to the left extreme, even if unsuccessful, would result in the bike colliding with the right side of the car's front.
if a biker goes onto a car's lane => the car cannot easily move to his left as easily => could result in head-on right in the middle of the car's front.

- this was my thinking process, if I have offended you or any bikers, i am sorry - i dont ride a bike but i am NOT prejudiced against people who do.
This discussion might get deleted soon but I have to bring up another debate on your points.
To be clear I'm not defending Bikers but rather I enjoy driving/riding both 2 wheeler and Cars.

Now to the point. In case of a head on collision, its very often the case of no reaction time available (to move out of the way) for one or both the affected parties. (Thats why it becomes a head on and not a side swipe or brush off)

With that cleared its highly immature to say Bike fellows can move off in nanoseconds to avoid collision and cars/heavy vehicles can be allowed to be moving sloths. I dare say making such an evasive maneuver in any vehicle is not easy and putting the onus of making way only for the weaker vehicles(read unprotected bikers) is not fair.

I think based on your points, I should take my Safari on joyful bully driving spree and any make poor cycle/bike fellow crushed in a head on collision, the villain stating the idiots could not easily move/make way for my deserving vehicle.

Enough ranting and no more dicussions from my end on this
racer_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 19:19   #17013
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pointers regarding emergency contacts in our mobile phone

One of my friend met with an accident 3 months back with no fault of his. This happened in hyderabad near Cyber towers towards kothaguda at a signal.

He was on his 2W along with his wife. When he stopped at a red signal a mini bus hit them from behind and both he and his wife were thrown off the bike(this was not a sudden stop). He suffered head injuries(he was wearing helmet and it really helped) and his wife suffered multiple fractures on both legs and fingers in her hand.

It has taken 3 months for him to recover and rejoin work and she is still recovering. All this due to no fault of his. We are thankful to the Almighty that they both survived the accident, albeit with injuries.

Immediately after the hit, both of them lost consciousness. The people around the accident spot tried to reach any of their dear ones but couldn't because both the mobiles were locked. Those were smart phones and had access to Emergency numbers but one of them didn't have emergency numbers and the other one didn't have any local emergency number. Fortunately, his wife regained some consciousness and unlocked her mobile. The ambulance driver went by the call register and informed one of his friend.

After few days, this ambulance driver visited him in the hospital and shared the below pointers,
  • Don't lock the mobile or the mobile main screen. To maintain privacy you can lock individual apps such as messages, gallery etc.
  • If it is a smartphone and has access to emergency numbers, then make sure to enter some emergency numbers.
  • Store local emergency numbers as well with indication as 'local' in the name. Sometimes outstation number may not help.
  • Store your parents/siblings/spouse's numbers as 'Husband', 'Wife', 'Dad', 'Brother' etc. This is what most of the ambulance drivers/attendants will look for when they search for relatives' number. This will help them to inform your dear ones quickly and sometimes this also helps to decide on which hospital to admit (especially when multiple hospitals are nearby).
  • Make sure that your mobile has some charge when you go outside.
Also, it looks like some of the hospitals are in touch with the ambulance drivers and these drivers will take the accident victims to those hospitals only when they are not able reach the victims dear ones. They may ignore the hospitals nearby.

Last edited by arun_josie : 20th January 2015 at 19:43.
arun_josie is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:13   #17014
Senior - BHPian

Re: Some pointers regarding emergency contacts in our mobile phone

Locking a smartphone with a pin or complex password is typically a corporate security requirement. Locking individual apps isn't quite feasible or practical. You may want to carry a data plan only sim in the smartphone and use a plain old Nokia or cheaper android for voice.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:19   #17015
Team-BHP Support

Keeping a business card or an emergency card on wallet, in person or in the vehicle also helps in such emergency situations.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:23   #17016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
[*]Don't lock the mobile or the mobile main screen. To maintain privacy you can lock individual apps such as messages, gallery etc.
This is not practical. My phone simply cannot be left unlocked - it has way too much personal, private information. What I do is (Android specific) to set an emergency contact in Settings > Security > Owner Info, which then scrolls in my home screen. Pic below.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-phone.png

Last edited by binand : 20th January 2015 at 21:27.
binand is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:47   #17017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is not practical. My phone simply cannot be left unlocked - it has way too much personal, private information. What I do is (Android specific) to set an emergency contact in Settings > Security > Owner Info, which then scrolls in my home screen. Pic below.

Attachment 1331033
I agree. There could be various reasons to keep the mobile locked always. Even I have setup the same option as yours. But we will have to make sure some valid emergency contact numbers are entered.

When I checked with some of my friends, only very few have entered the emergency contact number.

Last edited by arun_josie : 20th January 2015 at 22:07.
Old 21st January 2015, 00:28   #17018
BHPian

I have a built in ICE function on my phone but in case you want to get the same functionality, I found a paid app that's got pretty good reviews. If it works, and I haven't tested it. It should be worth the 219₹. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...appventive.ice
Old 21st January 2015, 00:47   #17019
BHPian

Well, you could probably keep the emergency phones numbers in an image and have that as the lock screen image. That would be the easiest and most convenient approach, especially when you have lot of personal data on the phone.
AZ911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 01:36   #17020
Distinguished - BHPian

No locks for me. I'd almost be happy to do away with the whole lock screen altogether!
Old 21st January 2015, 05:21   #17021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Keeping a business card or an emergency card on wallet, in person or in the vehicle also helps in such emergency situations.
Agreed. Why not a sticker on the helmet or the bike with an ICE number? (like rallyists do) it may not look awesome but thats the simplest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I have a built in ICE function on my phone but in case you want to get the same functionality, I found a paid app that's got pretty good reviews. If it works, and I haven't tested it. It should be worth the 219₹. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...appventive.ice
No, please don.t - read below

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Well, you could probably keep the emergency phones numbers in an image and have that as the lock screen image. That would be the easiest and most convenient approach, especially when you have lot of personal data on the phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nknudge.rideid is free and does exactly the same. Now my colleagues joke about how my phone advertizes my wife and mother's phone numbers, but better safe than sorry!

of course big issue in India is that folks arriving at an accident may occasionally not be averse to stealing mob phones. We need a more idiot proof solution.

/but yes I hate complex lock screens.
Old 21st January 2015, 08:11   #17022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
One of my friend met with an accident 3 months back with no fault of his. This happened in hyderabad near Cyber towers towards kothaguda at a signal.

After few days, this ambulance driver visited him in the hospital and shared the below pointers
Thanks for bringing this up !

It was only after you told me of this incident that I now have 3 small chits with emergency contract numbers 1- in the back pocket of the phone cover 2- in the car dashboard and 3- in my wallet

Note from Support - Quoted post shortened. Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2015 at 09:55.
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 09:48   #17023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Thanks for bringing this up !

It was only after you told me of this incident that I now have 3 small chits with emergency contract numbers 1- in the back pocket of the phone cover 2- in the car dashboard and 3- in my wallet
We did this during our GQ drives. Each door pocket had a paper with Emergency numbers for each occupants.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 10:10   #17024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
if an overtaking car comes on to a bikers lane => the biker can easily move to the left extreme, even if unsuccessful, would result in the bike colliding with the right side of the car's front.
if a biker goes onto a car's lane => the car cannot easily move to his left as easily => could result in head-on right in the middle of the car's front.

- this was my thinking process, if I have offended you or any bikers, i am sorry - i dont ride a bike but i am NOT prejudiced against people who do.
This is not fully thought through. Let's dive deeper.

First, in either scenario, the relative horizontal movement (regardless of who moves) should be greater than the bike's width. THAT is all that is required to avoid collision. So, help us understand why a car "cannot easily move to his left as easily" - it needs to shift only a meter or so, not an entire lane. How is that any different from what a biker would do in the opposite case? Further I'd say that in the case of a car if two wheels go off the road, there's a far higher (comparative) probability of not losing control with a car as opposed to a biker who will almost certainly go down badly.

Then, you make a distinction between a head on accident vs a "right side of car's front" accident. Practically both are head-on, and in both cases, the biker becomes a projectile flying through the air, brought to a sudden stop on impact. In both situations, the car occupants should suffer a similar amount of damage (read FAR lesser than the biker) in a middle head on vs right side impact if both vehicles were at sane speeds (leave crazy speeds aside). Please explain in detail with specifics.

Thus, i don't buy your argument. I'm open to revising my opinion if you can explain with more specifics.

Ideally yes, the one initiating the overtake should use his mind and plan well but that is often not the case as this thread shows.
Old 21st January 2015, 11:06   #17025
BHPian

Noticed a traffic jam Sunday late night on my way back home on ORR right before the Babu Sahibpalya flyover in front of Trident Chevrolet (between Kalyan Nagar and Banaswadi). An Indica had crashed into the divider of the flyover. Lot of curious onlookers were already causing a traffic jam so didn't bother to stop and take a pic. But didn't seem like any fatalities.

Noticed these Maruti siblings in Kalyani Motors on old madras road. Seems like a case of rear ending.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150118_173755.jpg  

Most Viewed