Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2015, 15:02   #17341
BHPian

Re: Vento - airbag deployed, blasted throwing across chemical causing severe burns

My friends Vento met with a minor accident which resulted in Airbag being deployed. No injuries sustained to the driver or the passengers (lady and her baby) because of the impact.

But the driver's airbag became a major culprit here. The airbag after deployment, blasted throwing across some chemical(as per the information from the driver) which caused severe burns to both hands of the driver.

Could this be related to a faulty airbag?. I have not heard about burns caused by airbag deployment.

Thankfully the baby and the lady was seated at back. If in the passengers seat at front, it would have been a disaster for the baby.

Last edited by sandeep_vgl : 10th March 2015 at 15:04.
Old 10th March 2015, 15:09   #17342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
My friends Vento met with a minor accident which resulted in Airbag being deployed. No injuries sustained to the driver or the passengers (lady and her baby) because of the impact.

But the driver's airbag became a major culprit here. The airbag after deployment, blasted throwing across some chemical(as per the information from the driver) which caused severe burns to both hands of the driver.

Is it normal? or can this be related to a faulty airbag?. I have not heard about burns caused by airbag deployment.

Thankfully the baby and the lady was seated at back. If in the passengers seat at front, it would have been a disaster for the baby.
Good to hear that child was with lady on rear seat or else it could have proved fatal for the child. Burn to hands/ wrist is possible in case of airbag deployment. I did read about experience of one of our BHPian who suffered a burn on wrist due to airbag deployment. Search the forum for it. Moreover we have a very recent thread started by Saket77 regarding all that you need to know about airbags .
What is baffling me is that how "minor" was the accident that it resulted in airbag deployment?
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 15:27   #17343
BHPian

Confessions of a accident creator

Today I've come off an accident a lot wiser.

I rammed my WagonR into a Pulsar.

I was on my way to office. As usual I took the turn to the 200 feet road to Pallavaram flyover, Chennai.

After I take the turn I switch on my A/C. After switching it ON, the light didn't come up. I checked if the air was blowing it was not. If the fan knob was ON, it was in "1", my default. I checked the A/C ON indicator light. It seemed as though it was off. I cupped my hands and bent my head to have a clear look at the light - B A N G. A loud noise and my car came from 30 Kmpl to 0.

After hearing the B A N G I saw to my left and to my horror a man was flying (parallel to the ground) with his helmet.

I stopped my car and rushed out. The two wheeler rider has fallen down. Then he got up, and was looking dazzed. I went near him and asked if he was alright. His immediate reaction was to raise his arms to hit me. On raising his arms, he had a slight pain in the lips and blood was starting to ooze out. He wiped it and was staring at me as if he would kill me there.

Quickly 10 to 15 people gathered around. And another local goon came to hit me. Then one sane person brought sense to the situation and another held the goon. I was calm and had the presence of mind not to open my mouth.

Then we assessed the situation. The two wheeler driver was not hurt badly - but for a bruise in his upper lip and lower lip. He stretched himself and was fine. I quickly gave him water to drink and he spit it out due to burning in his lips. I gave him Vaseline to apply on the wound. But for 5 people the crowd vanished from where they came from.

The local goon calmed down and told that he himself escaped from being hit by my car a few feet before. Could be, couldn't be. Am not sure.

Back to the two wheel rider. He was fine now. Back to normal self. He was actually stopped his bike to make a phone call. My car has hit the tail light and then the number plate. The Pulsar had then climbed on the car - hit the headlamp and then climbed over the bonnet before falling down. Later I came to know that he is a professional boxer (100 Kg+) (so is his father) and was coming back after training his boxing students. Phew!

He was not hurt because of the following reasons:

1. He was standing with his feet placed on the ground
2. The gear of the bike was engaged
3. He had his helmet on
4. Car was going at 30 Kmpl
5. Both of our luck was good (or was it?)
6. He was strong as a mule
7. His face has had many smacks before and his nose was rubbery

Damage assessment:

His bike was badly damaged.
The rear Tyre had burst.
The alloy wheel had cracked with a quarter inch crack in the middle almost for the full circumference
The tail lamp assembly gone
The name plate smashed
The rear plastic mud guard broken
The side plastic mold broken
Kick starter bent
Licenser dented and sunk in
Foot rest bent
Front visor broken
brake lever broken
Helmet dented, visor broken
Repair and service cost estimate - Rs.10,000

My car bumper had a crack and painting had come off
Repair and service cost estimate - Rs.1500

Learning:

Never ever take eyes off road
Never do anything else while driving

Some good practices which help me, even in this:
Was wearing my belt
Was going slow
Was on the left lane
Had the first aid kit handy
Was calm and aware of the situation

Some feedback to Maruti:
The car is 4.5 Lacs, it won't hurt if the quality of the A/C knob and indicator is made better with additional cost of Rs 500 or so, and it can be passed on to the customer and it will be appreciated
Damn good front bumper design - the bumper is designed to get un-hinged and hence didn't suffer mush damage. Bumper, head light are quite sturdy. Keep it up.

Ufff! What a day!

Last edited by ravradha : 10th March 2015 at 15:54. Reason: font change
ravradha is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 16:04   #17344
BHPian

Re: Confessions of a accident creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Good to see how you handled the situation - it could have got quite ugly if you had tried to be defensive or tried to be too aggressive. Its also sometimes a matter of luck , with people all around the mob mentality kicks in very quickly.

Everyone makes mistakes - all of us have situations when we had our attention away from the road a wee bit longer , and had come quite close to a potentially dangerous situation. The lesson learnt is very valuable.

I had one near miss a few weeks back when we were pottering around the city roads trying to locate a particular shop.. and I made the mistake of trying to read the shop signs - I missed hitting a biker who jumped in front of me by a whisker. Very sharp braking was applied and I am thankful that I wasnt rear-ended. Lesson learnt; to have eyes on the road all the time.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 16:13   #17345
BHPian

Quote:

I rammed my WagonR into a Pulsar.

Ufff! What a day!
Glad that both of you came out unharmed or almost unharmed. Bikes/Cars can be repaired or replaced.

Many of us, knowingly or unknowingly take off our eyes from the road thinking we will be back on road in few seconds. We never know these few seconds could actually prove very fatal like in your case, fortunately, things did not go out of hands. Hope you recover from this mental shock soon. Happy & Safe Motoring!!
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 17:19   #17346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Confessions of a accident creator

Quote:
Learning:

Never ever take eyes off road
Never do anything else while driving

Some good practices which help me, even in this:
Was wearing my belt
Was going slow
Was on the left lane
Had the first aid kit handy
Was calm and aware of the situation

Some feedback to Maruti:
The car is 4.5 Lacs, it won't hurt if the quality of the A/C knob and indicator is made better with additional cost of Rs 500 or so, and it can be passed on to the customer and it will be appreciated
Damn good front bumper design - the bumper is designed to get un-hinged and hence didn't suffer mush damage. Bumper, head light are quite sturdy. Keep it up.

Ufff! What a day!
Thank god nothing major happened. Good that you are sharing your experience. Many a times i have noticed people speaking over the mobile, texting messages while driving.
While they are trying to be ultra smart, the consequences can be bad/fatal for the third party.
Whatever has happened to you is a lesson for everyone driving concerned.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 10th March 2015 at 17:22.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 17:29   #17347
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
@Thad - no further info. It was playing on all hindi channels today in delhi.
Ahh, ok. So it is a big news item, not just something found on Youtube. That's horrible.
Old 10th March 2015, 17:56   #17348
Senior - BHPian

EDIT - Previous page has a container truck accident near attibele, this is the aftermath

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150310_125245.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150310_125251.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150310_125255.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150310_125335.jpg

The Tipper did a Illegal U Turn over the center median just behind the Karnataka State Border Arch (near Hosur). Poor (brown) trucker didnt see the tipper peep out and T-boned him and lost the entire trucks right side to the tipper. (not seen in this pic)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150310_124429.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 10th March 2015 at 18:06.
Old 10th March 2015, 18:10   #17349
BHPian

Noticed an accident on my way back from work on ORR at around 4:45 PM. As soon as i reached Ramamurthy Nagar underpass heading towards Hebbal, i saw traffic had piled up just before the underpass and it was slow moving for almost 2 kilometers. To my surprise, when i crossed Banaswadi underpass and came a little further, i saw a trailer truck carrying a container had met with an accident. The truck was on the left side of the road and the driver cabin had gone off the road with some serious damage. The container as such had fallen off from the trailer and traffic cops had called in cranes to lift it and clear the traffic jam. Sorry, no pics though.
Old 10th March 2015, 18:13   #17350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
EDIT - Previous page has a container truck accident near attibele, this is the aftermath

The Tipper did a Illegal U Turn over the center median just behind the Karnataka State Border Arch (near Hosur). Poor (brown) trucker didnt see the tipper peep out and T-boned him and lost the entire trucks right side to the tipper. (not seen in this pic)
Looking at the driver's cabin, its very unlikely he would have survived. Its completely smashed. Imagine a car instead, it would have gone under the tipper with some serious consequences.
Old 10th March 2015, 19:12   #17351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Noticed an accident on my way back from work on ORR at around 4:45 PM. As soon as i reached Ramamurthy Nagar underpass heading towards Hebbal, i saw traffic had piled up just before the underpass and it was slow moving for almost 2 kilometers. To my surprise, when i crossed Banaswadi underpass and came a little further, i saw a trailer truck carrying a container had met with an accident. The truck was on the left side of the road and the driver cabin had gone off the road with some serious damage. The container as such had fallen off from the trailer and traffic cops had called in cranes to lift it and clear the traffic jam. Sorry, no pics though.
The previous page has a similar accident reported at the same spot. Wondering if it is the same and if the cops actually took more than 24 hours to clear it.
Old 11th March 2015, 07:44   #17352
BHPian

Some people are plain lucky when their stars are in their favour and the gaurdian angels keep protecting them.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46522453.cms

A 50 year old biker falls over from Kathipara flyover and still survives. He is in critical condition with multiple injuries. As per the article he was hit by an SUV on the flyover. He was lucky firstly because he fell between 2 parked earth movers and not on them, and secondly at this age falling from 40 feet and being alive. Not sure what exactly happened. Hope he safely recovers fast.

I noticed the crowd in the morning, but was not sure what was the problem.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2015 at 16:01. Reason: Typos
raghu.t.k is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th March 2015, 08:19   #17353
BHPian

Yeah the poor guy's face was disfigured badly(according to the news) that disturbed me for sure. He also had multiple fractures in his hand. Being a driver by profession, I hope he recovers well and this accident does not leave a dent in his profession.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2015 at 16:02. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 11th March 2015, 10:23   #17354
BHPian

MOHALI: In a hit and run accident, a 24-year-old Balongi resident lost his life after a speeding car hit his bike near Bal Majra village on Monday night.

Rohit Kumar, who worked at a private company, suffered multiple injuries on his head. His brother, Sonu, who was following him on another bike, took him to PGI, where he succumbed. Rohit had shifted to Mohali a year ago from Rajasthan.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46522127.cms
Old 11th March 2015, 11:45   #17355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Some people are plain lucky when their stars are in their favour and the gaurdian angels keep protecting them.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46522453.cms

A 50yr old biker falls over from Kathipara flyover and still survives. He is in critical condition with multiple injuries. As per the article he was hit by an suv on the flyover. He was lucky firstly because he fell between 2 parked earth movers and not on them, and secondly at this age falling from 40 feet and being alive. Not sure what exactly happend. Hope he safely recovers fast.

I noticed the crowd in the morning, but was not sure what was the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Yeah the poor guy's face was disfigured badly(according to the news) that disturbed me for sure. He also had multiple fractures in his hand. Being a driver by profession, I hope he recovers well and this accident does not leave a dent in his profession.
He was not wearing a helmet.......
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks